4 replies to this topic

#1 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10528 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 09:11 PM

For a more light hearted diversion from the gloom of current politics:

Filmed after Roy Orbison's death in December 1988. To honor the loss, a shot of a guitar sitting in a rocking chair next to a photo of Orbison was used when his vocals are heard.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

#2 indy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8484 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 09:50 PM

Good thread. Here's a flash mob playing my favorite piece.

#3 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10528 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 11:34 PM

Love it. My mother was a music teacher and Beethoven was her favorite composer, so Ode to Joy has a bit more meaning to me than it might have otherwise.

Here is a fun little Google Doodle from Beethoven's 245th birthday.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken

#4 Bact PhD

Frustrated, Thoughtful Independent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1222 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 15 November 2017 - 09:28 PM

One of my (confessed, anyway!) guilty pleasures is finding utterly silly stuff on YouTube! The creative individual behind this page has way, way, waayyyy too much time on their hands!

Politics these days is show business. Elections are Dancing with the Stars with consequences. ~Rue Bella

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." --Thomas Jefferson to Charles Yancey, 1816. ME 14:384, via LFC, 12/1/2016

Competent people go in one of a few directions. But incompetence is infinite. ~David Brooks, NY Times

#5 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10528 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 09:34 PM

Love Bad Lip Reading.

— Carl Sagan

— H.L. Mencken

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users