68 replies to this topic

#61 Rabiner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3723 posts
  • LocationCulver City, CA

Posted 04 February 2012 - 08:16 PM

Great article Traveler. Took awhile to get through it but clearly it paints a picture of Komen's integrity being more than compromised.
Government in particular has an obligation to dismiss any employee who claims a right to discriminate against citizens. - Garret Epps

#62 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13369 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 05 February 2012 - 01:17 PM

View PostRabiner, on 04 February 2012 - 08:16 PM, said:

Great article Traveler. Took awhile to get through it but clearly it paints a picture of Komen's integrity being more than compromised.

I couldn't stomach it after the first few paras, but I figured somebody here would have the gumption. I would appreciate it if you could summarize it for the rest of us.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."-- Winston Churchill
"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices" Voltaire

#63 Rabiner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3723 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 01:59 PM

View PostTraveler, on 05 February 2012 - 01:17 PM, said:

I couldn't stomach it after the first few paras, but I figured somebody here would have the gumption. I would appreciate it if you could summarize it for the rest of us.

Basically the President of Komen is on the board of a number of pharmacutical companies and the actual foundation has numberous stock holdings in such companies. When lobbying congress to support or oppose legislation that would have an impact on women's health they lobbied the same way that the pharmacutical companies did as opposed to the consumer rights groups. In addition Komen has lobbied against an increased focus of environmental causes to breast cancer and other cancers which would be very helpful in detemrining ways to reduce the persistence of the cancer in the first place. In the end they show quite impressively that Komen is corrupt, has many financial conflicts of interest, sides with those interests over their mission time after time, and the media does not call them on it.
Government in particular has an obligation to dismiss any employee who claims a right to discriminate against citizens. - Garret Epps

#64 Rabiner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3723 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:26 AM

http://www.theatlant...dispute/252707/

Figured worth mentioning latest news in the saga.

#65 cmk

Chief Cook and Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 7540 posts
  • LocationBennington, VT, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Known Universe

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:51 AM

Thanks, Rabiner.

"I am deeply disappointed by the gross mischaracterizations of the strategy, its rationale, and my involvement in it."

Yeah right, you fraud.

You gambled and lost. Suck it up.
Charles M. Kozierok - Administrator, TalkRadioSucks.com

"The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools." -- Herbert Spencer

"Atheism is a religion like abstinence is a sex position." -- Bill Maher

"Our new Government['s] foundations are laid, its cornerstone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery, subordination to the superior race, is his natural and moral condition." -- Alexander Stephens, Vice-President of the Confederacy

#66 primrose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationNew York State

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:41 PM

This is why you don't throw away your brand idly without a plan, because once the trust in your brand is broken, all sorts of other issues come out to play. Now the press will be looking at the other corruption and in the end they may be ruined.

#67 Rabiner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3723 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:49 PM

View Postprimrose, on 07 February 2012 - 12:41 PM, said:

This is why you don't throw away your brand idly without a plan, because once the trust in your brand is broken, all sorts of other issues come out to play. Now the press will be looking at the other corruption and in the end they may be ruined.

So true. I've seen more stories regarding the actual workings of the foundation in the last week than in the last three years.

#68 Rue Bella

Emerging from a state of cryogenic denial

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8108 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:56 PM

Last night some talking head suggested that because of all this bad publicity, in 5 years, the Komen Foundation might not even exist.
What is wrong with these people? ~ PG

California Secession - Let my people go!

#69 drdredel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2419 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 01:01 PM

I think Colbert settles this issue nicely:
http://www.colbertna...rs-at-walgreens
It becomes apropos of this discussion at the 1:30 mark.
The Blind have lost their sense of "sight";
The Deaf have lost their sense of "hearing";
Republicans have lost their sense of "common".

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users