Sexual Harassment - Is the Tide Finally Turning?

298 replies to this topic

#41 Rich T Bikkies

Trainee Basil Fawlty. Practising Victor Meldrew

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4237 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, UK

Posted 15 November 2017 - 06:10 PM

1998? Nearly twenty years, and it still seems like yesterday. Old Mon must be a grandma by now, and there's a thought!
Reality is a hallucination caused by alcohol deprivation.

Only Satan can rebuke sin. The righteous don't know enough.

God is not dead. He was merely voted out of office.

You can do anything with anybody if you just save them the trouble of thinking.

#42 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28518 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 16 November 2017 - 10:16 AM

View PostBact PhD, on 15 November 2017 - 03:42 PM, said:

This seems to be the most appropriate thread to put this Yglesias piece:

My reading, and maybe it's off, is that Yglesias is too close to equating a sleazy consensual affair with actual unwanted sexual advances and assault. Lewinsky wasn't pressured against her will into the affair and she was an adult in her early to mid-20s. I do agree that Clinton used his position of power to seduce her which is skanky and wrong but we're talking about sexual assault with all these other cases for crissakes. That's a huge, gaping, cavernous difference. If her "friend" hadn't illegally taped her and thrown the story out to the public there would have been no actual victim. I think this is critically important to keep in mind in any of these cases.

I've also reread the accusations of actual assault against Clinton and don't find Jones or Willey to be very credible. They may be telling the truth but both are not only lacking corroboration but actually have multiple people providing contradictory evidence including two members of Jones's own family. I didn't see any real proof but I believe that Clinton assaulted or raped Broaddrick. She acted as a person desperately trying to shield herself and her family from the media circus and seems much more credible to me, even with the signed affidavit that I believe (and yes, it's a belief) was an attempt by her to just make it all go away.

Just my two cents.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#43 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28518 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 16 November 2017 - 01:57 PM

More Spacey.

Officials at London’s Old Vic theater reported Thursday that they had received “allegations of a range of inappropriate behavior relating to Kevin Spacey,” including 20 “personal testimonies” detailing misconduct by the Oscar winner between 1995 and 2013. The actor served as the West End institution’s artistic director from 2004 to 2015. Among those cited by outside investigators Lewis Silkin, a U.K. law firm, are 16 staff members and four others who came forward with allegations against Spacey. The Silkin report described a “cult of personality” that existed around the actor at the Old Vic that may have prevented staffers from reporting abuse or “rais[ing] a hand for help.”

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#44 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28518 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 16 November 2017 - 02:08 PM

Vice Media looks like they've got a big problem too.

#45 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5732 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 16 November 2017 - 02:18 PM

Can't leave out Al Franken...such an idiot.

#46 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28518 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 16 November 2017 - 04:17 PM

View Postgolden_valley, on 16 November 2017 - 02:18 PM, said:

Can't leave out Al Franken...such an idiot.

Well this is a different approach than the one taken by Roy Moore.

Sen. Al Franken (D-MN) on Thursday asked for an ethics investigation into himself over a news anchor’s allegations that in 2006 he forcibly kissed her and groped her while she was asleep. He said he will “gladly cooperate” with such a probe.

“The first thing I want to do is apologize: to Leeann, to everyone else who was part of that tour, to everyone who has worked for me, to everyone I represent, and to everyone who counts on me to be an ally and supporter and champion of women,” Franken said in a statement. “There’s more I want to say, but the first and most important thing—and if it’s the only thing you care to hear, that’s fine—is: I’m sorry.”

Leeann Tweeden, a morning anchor on Los Angeles station KABC, on Thursday accused Franken of “aggressively” kissing her backstage on a United Service Organizations (USO) tour in 2006 and of later groping her while she was asleep, an act documented in a photograph. The alleged incidents occurred before Franken held public office.

“I am asking that an ethics investigation be undertaken, and I will gladly cooperate,” Franken said. “The fact that my own actions have given people a good reason to doubt that makes me feel ashamed.”

Franken said the photograph was “completely inappropriate.”

“It’s obvious how Leeann would feel violated by that picture. And, what’s more, I can see how millions of other women would feel violated by it—women who have had similar experiences in their own lives, women who fear having those experiences, women who look up to me, women who have counted on me,” he said. “While I don’t remember the rehearsal for the skit as Leeann does, I understand why we need to listen to and believe women’s experiences.”

#47 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28518 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 16 November 2017 - 04:52 PM

Let's not forget President Pussy-Grabber in all of this. A short documentary has been put together with 16 women who have accused Trump of sexual assault and/or harassment. Clinton was impeached for a legal if sleazy affair but Republicans won't touch one of their own no matter how many women he attacked.

#48 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5732 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 16 November 2017 - 08:12 PM

Tides flow in and out. While this one is in, we as a society need to figure out how to respond to revelations. Sexual harassment and abuse comes in many forms from rape to touching a 14 year old through her underwear to forced kisses, all the way through to inappropriate comments. We have Moore denying everything and Franken apologizing. Is there or should there be a sliding scale of awfulness and a corresponding sliding scale of punishment?

#49 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13203 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 09:36 PM

Look like Roger Stone might have had his hand in the Franken revelation. https://www.rawstory...ory-was-coming/

Also Leeann Tweeden is a Hannity regular.

Not saying that there is nothing to the Franken accusation, but it is suspicious.
“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It's simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

— Carl Sagan

Pray for Trump: Psalm 109:8

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#50 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28518 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 16 November 2017 - 10:04 PM

Interesting piece at TDB called After Al Franken and Roy Moore, We Are Dangerously Close to Botching the #MeToo Moment. The worry is that opportunistic dirtbags will come out to take personal advantage of a real issue and f*** things up for those who were truly mistreated. Like this ...

On the heels of Tweeden’s disturbing allegations, however, another woman came forward claiming that she too had been “stalked and harassed” by Franken. Melanie Morgan teased her accusation with a Tweet, and then directed curious readers to her website. On her website, she described how Franken called her more than once because he disagreed with how she was discussing a policy issue on the radio.

Even giving Morgan the extremely generous benefit of the doubt, it’s hard to pretend what she alleges Franken did is the same thing as what Tweeden’s picture shows Franken actually doing. Nor is what Tweeden’s picture shows, horrible as it is, the same as what somebody like Roger Ailes or Bill Clinton did.

Sooooo being called on how you discuss policy on the radio is being "harassed"? Does this mean that a male politician can't call you on what you state publicly if you're a female but it's OK if you're male? What about a female politician and a male saying things on the radio? Is that harassment?

#51 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10233 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 08:48 AM

View PostLFC, on 16 November 2017 - 10:04 PM, said:

Interesting piece at TDB called After Al Franken and Roy Moore, We Are Dangerously Close to Botching the #MeToo Moment. The worry is that opportunistic dirtbags will come out to take personal advantage of a real issue and f*** things up for those who were truly mistreated. Like this ...

Sooooo being called on how you discuss policy on the radio is being "harassed"? Does this mean that a male politician can't call you on what you state publicly if you're a female but it's OK if you're male? What about a female politician and a male saying things on the radio? Is that harassment?

RWers should NEVER be called on anything, just deferred to. Especially by women, and/or libtards. Haven’t you learned ANYTHING yet?

Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#52 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28518 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 17 November 2017 - 11:00 AM

President Pussy-Grabber who has been accused by at least 16 women of sexual assault and harassment plus admitted to being a pedophile in the dressing room of a pageant with 15-year olds has enough lack of self-awareness (i.e. none) to attack Al Franken. Meanwhile he ignores questions about Roy Moore who was (is it 7 now?) accusers with dozens of corroborating witnesses. This is the Republican Party today, folks. There ... is ... NO ... defending ... it.

#53 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13203 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 12:08 PM

Posted Image
“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It's simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

— Carl Sagan

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

#54 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13203 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 12:12 PM

Take this site with a huge grain of salt, but there is something that does not smell right about Tweeden's accusation, especially with Roger Stone foreknowledge of the accusation.

https://www.weaponiz...suspicious-ties

LeeAnn Tweeden was a guest of Sean Hannity on multiple occasions. She was not on that show to play the role of the departed Alan Colmes (a weak minded democrat intended to make liberals look stupid via a pathetic attempt at rhetoric) - No Mrs. Tweeden was simply an attractive sounding board paid on those nights to mainly agree with whatever Sean Hannity said. She also has been a guest at one of Donald Trump's golf courses at least once, and probably more than that.

— Carl Sagan

— Carl Sagan

— H.L. Mencken

#55 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28518 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 17 November 2017 - 12:51 PM

Will the Senate investigation call her out for lying? I wouldn't bet on it.

#56 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28518 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 17 November 2017 - 03:08 PM

Jeffrey Tambor

#57 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28518 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 17 November 2017 - 06:11 PM

Rep. Debbie Dingell (D-MI) wants some transparency on the millions upon millions of dollars we, the American taxpayers, have unknowingly forked out to pay for Congressional settlements. Yeah, good luck with that. I suspect the best we can hope for is that every sitting member of Congress will be grandfathered in so past misdeeds will remain hidden.

Referring to the estimated $17 million in payments that Congressional Office of Compliance has paid out $17 million to settle lawsuits over the past three decades, CNN host Alisyn Camerota asked Dingell why the names of the lawmakers whose actions prompted the settlements have not been made public.

“I want to know what the money is, and why I think we all need to see the sunshine and the transparency on that,” Dingell said.

“So Congress is working to reveal that to us?” asked Camerota.

Dingell then said that it was a “complicated” matter, since not all of the payments were to settle sexual harassment claims and some of the settlements came with confidentiality agreements that Congress might be wary of breaking.

That said, Dingell did say she thought it was time for the American public to know more about the bad behavior of some of their elected officials.

“You and I are both angry because we both have had it,” she told Camerota.

Meanwhile we have another story of how the House of Representatives can be more like the Animal House of Representatives. This is insane!

Minnesota Representative Betty McCollum once had to fight off a congressman’s sexual advances the way she would fight off a dog, with a rolled-up newspaper.

The nine-term Democratic congresswoman said that she was approached in the congressional cloakroom by another legislator who tried to forcibly hug her while his co-workers watched and laughed.

McCollum was taken aback and yelled “‘What the hell are you doing? Go away!’” to her colleague. She then used the only weapon she had, a newspaper, to swat the congressman back. “I sort of handled it with humor, but it was very clear,” McCollum said. “He never bothered me again.”

McCollum recalled two other members of Congress who addressed her inappropriately or forcibly touched her in an interview with the Minnesota Star Tribune. Neither is still in Congress.

She told the Tribune that she was taken aback by the predatory environment of Congress when she first arrived in 2001. ““It was always disturbing. Women would share: ‘Avoid this person,’ ‘make sure you’re not alone with that person.’ And we would commiserate with each other,” she said.

#58 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13203 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 09:12 AM

Here is that "forcible kiss"

Posted Image

— Carl Sagan

— Carl Sagan

— H.L. Mencken

#59 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13203 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 09:14 AM

As Franken said, he remembers it differently.

Posted Image

— Carl Sagan

— Carl Sagan

— H.L. Mencken

#60 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28518 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 18 November 2017 - 11:19 AM

Hmmmmm. It will be interesting how an ethics probe handles this. Franken may already have the goods to show she's ... recollecting things improperly. The photo evidence alone is enough to make me call bullshit.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users