Sexual Harassment - Is the Tide Finally Turning?

308 replies to this topic

#301 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31073 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 02 September 2019 - 11:28 AM

It's always more complicated than you realize.

30-50 feral hogs spotted outside Jeffrey Epstein’s prison cell moments before his death
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#302 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31073 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 04 September 2019 - 12:00 PM

Is this a bluff or something real that has a lot of people shitting themselves right now?

“Hundreds of people” could be named in sealed documents in a lawsuit by one of Jeffrey Epstein’s accusers against the disgraced financier’s alleged madam, Ghislaine Maxwell, lawyers said in court Wednesday.

Maxwell’s lawyer, Jeffrey Paglica, revealed to U.S. District Judge Loretta Preska that “hundreds of other people” might be implicated if the new documents were unsealed without proper vetting. The filings pertaining to the 2015 federal defamation case between Epstein accuser Virginia Giuffre and the British socialite.

In the suit, Giuffre accused Maxwell of procuring young girls for sexual abuse by Epstein and his powerful friends and says Maxwell recruited her when she was 16 years old and working at Mar-a-Lago. (The two sides settled in 2017 and Maxwell denied all allegations.)

“There are hundreds of other people implicated,” Paglica said on Wednesday, adding the docket in the case contains “over 900 filings” and includes an address book with “about 1,000 names.”

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#303 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31073 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 02 October 2019 - 10:57 AM

Now it's USA Swimming's turn in the barrel. Sometimes it feels that the default position of organization is to bury any scandal. Perhaps headlines like "XYZ Charity Goes to Police Over Sexual Assault Allegations" just aren't as interesting but the number of coverups really is just ridiculous.

USA Swimming is being investigated by federal prosecutors in New York regarding allegations that it suppressed athletes’ sexual-abuse claims, The Wall Street Journal reports. The investigation is said to also include allegations of financial misconduct. A federal grand jury in Manhattan has heard evidence over the past year for the probe, which is being led by the Manhattan U.S. Attorney’s Office and the FBI. Prosecutors have reportedly asked whether swimmers felt pressured to perform sex acts on coaches for good competition spots. It’s also reported that investigators are interested in an alleged “money trail” between USA Swimming and its insurance company. A spokeswoman for USA Swimming said the organization “supports any government investigation that goes toward protecting athletes,” adding that the organization was confident in the integrity of its finances. USA Swimming is the governing body for amateur swimming across the country.

#304 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31073 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 10 October 2019 - 03:26 PM

Details of the Matt Lauer scumbaggery continue to come out. He's digging in.

Matt Lauer pushed back at his latest accuser Wednesday in an “open letter” after another bombshell tidbit from Ronan Farrow’s new book, Catch and Kill, was revealed.

In the letter, Lauer specifically addresses an interview with Brooke Nevils, a former NBC employee whose complaint about Lauer’s behavior led to his firing in 2017. According to Variety, Nevils told Farrow that Lauer anally raped her in his hotel room while they were on assignment covering the 2014 Sochi Olympics.

Nevils told Farrow that Lauer pushed her onto the bed and asked if she liked anal sex. She told him no, but then Nevils says he “just did it.”

“It was nonconsensual in the sense that I was too drunk to consent,” Nevils is reported to have told Farrow. “It was nonconsensual in that I said, multiple times, that I didn’t want to have anal sex.”

In his response to the accusations, Lauer vigorously denied that the relationship with Nevils was without her explicit consent.

“Despite my desire to set the record straight and confront the individuals making false allegations, I wanted nothing less than to create more headlines my kids would read and a new gathering of photographers at the end of our driveway,” he wrote. “But my silence has been a mistake. Today, nearly two years after I was fired by NBC, old stories are being recycled, titillating details are being added, and a dangerous and defamatory new allegation is being made.”

Lauer then goes on to call the new allegation about raping Nevils “outrageous” and writes that it is “being spread as part of a promotional effort to sell a book.”

Digging in might not be the best idea as at least one other has come to the victim's defense.

On the Day of Atonement, the holiest of Jewish High Holy Days, Matt Lauer gravely sinned. Not only did he apparently once rape a young colleague, causing her to bleed for days, he now has penned an open letter that takes victim-shaming to a depth I have never seen before.

I worked with Matt for nearly a decade. It was well-known in the media industry that he was a philanderer, but what many of us did not know was that he was also, apparently, a sexual predator. The time has come for some radical truth-telling.

I know Lauer’s victim well, and for a long time I have known her excruciating account of being forced into painful anal sex with him. When he reportedly forced himself on her at the Sochi Olympics in 2014, she was, relatively speaking, a kid. While technically an adult, she was no match for his advanced years and extraordinary power at the network. What he did to her was profoundly confusing and traumatizing to her, and afterward she behaved in ways that some may find confusing. It is worth remembering that many child sex abusers enlist their victims into ongoing contact through psychological manipulation. In my view, Matt employed a similar dynamic.

Now to Matt’s howling screed. It’s helpful to begin with an academic term originated at the University of Oregon by Prof. Jennifer Freyd and colleagues, called DARVO (Deny, Attack, Reverse Victim and Offender). This is a common tactic used by accused sex offenders, and Matt’s letter is straight out of the DARVO playbook.

Employees are pissed at NBC brass for turning a blind eye to this.

NBC News staffers on Thursday grilled NBC News president Noah Oppenheim about explosive revelations from Ronan Farrow’s new book casting network executives as dismissive and neglectful of sexual-misconduct allegations.

Excerpts from Farrow’s book, titled Catch and Kill: Lies, Spies and a Conspiracy to Protect Predators, were published Wednesday across several news outlets. In the snippets, the former NBC News investigative reporter alleged that the network capitulated to a pressure campaign by Harvey Weinstein to squash Farrow’s exposé of the studio mogul’s serial sexual misconduct.

Additionally, Farrow revealed, NBC executives including Oppenheim and NBC chief Andrew Lack may have had knowledge of a disturbing rape accusation against Today show anchor Matt Lauer long before he was dismissed from the network.

And so, during a Thursday call with NBC News employees, Oppenheim faced tough questions from the network’s veteran journalists, many of whom demanded further details on how network brass handled allegations against Lauer, as well as Oppenheim’s relationship with disgraced movie executive Harvey Weinstein.

#305 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31073 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 11 October 2019 - 11:01 AM

Ronan Farrow claims NBC executive knew about the sexual misconduct of Matt Laurer and others for years before everything blew up.

Investigative journalist Ronan Farrow has accused NBC News executives of being aware of multiple other misconduct allegations against former Today host Matt Lauer and arranging other settlement agreements years before his firing in 2017. Farrow’s new book, Catch and Kill, revealed the complaint behind Lauer’s firing—one of his colleagues accused him of rape at the Sochi Olympics in 2014. When Lauer was fired in 2017, NBC News Chairman Andrew Lack called it the “first complaint about his behavior in the over 20 years” Lauer had been at the company. Farrow has now disputed that, telling Good Morning America on Friday: “What we show in this book, with a paper trail, with documents, was that there were multiple secret settlements and nondisclosures being struck with women at NBC News.” He went on to say there were seven nondisclosure agreements struck with women at NBC News, adding: “Multiple ones of those were with Matt Lauer accusers. This is years before this [Sochi] incident with Brooke Nevils and the firing, and I spoke to senior executives who were told about those earlier incidents.”

An NBC News spokesperson denied the allegations and said: “The first time we learned about Matt Lauer’s sexual misconduct in the workplace was the night of Nov. 27, 2017, and he was fired in 24 hours. Any suggestion that we knew prior to that evening, paid any ‘hush money,’ or tried to cover up any aspect of Lauer’s appalling behavior is absolutely false. NBCU’s legal team has done an exhaustive search of available records and conducted dozens of interviews of past and present staff, and uncovered no claims or settlements relating to allegations of inappropriate conduct by Matt Lauer that pre-date his firing. Only following his termination did we reach agreements with two women who had come forward for the very first time and those women have always been free to share their stories about Lauer with anyone they choose.”

I watched Farrow being interviewed this AM and he is one coll cucumber, never making any remotely emotional statements and standing firm on the evidence. He told how Black Cube, the Israeli outfit, was hired to investigate him and others to try to get them to kill the investigations. He actually moved out of his home because of the surveillance. Farrow said he wasn't talking about that not to make people feel sorry for him but because journalism is under this kind of assault by wealthy, powerful people all over the world. Oh, yeah. And Harvey Weinstein needs to spend the rest of his life in jail.

Also NBC News President Noah Oppenheimer is a dirtbag with a history of being a dirtbag. He needs to go.

#306 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13757 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 01:01 PM

View PostLFC, on 11 October 2019 - 11:01 AM, said:

Also NBC News President Noah Oppenheimer is a dirtbag with a history of being a dirtbag. He needs to go.

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.
“Trump’s a stupid man’s idea of a smart person, a poor man’s idea of a rich person & a weak man’s idea of a strong man.”

— Fran Lebowitz

“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It's simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

— Carl Sagan

Pray for Trump: Psalm 109:8

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#307 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31073 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 22 October 2019 - 01:38 PM

Ronan Farrow wasn't the only one to have his story on sexual assault spiked by NBC. Sounds like somebody further up the chain of command needs to go to jail.

In the days leading up to the publication of Catch and Kill, Ronan Farrow’s blockbuster account of his dealings with NBC News, I have been struck by the company’s insistence that Farrow didn’t have the Harvey Weinstein story in the bag. I don’t believe a word of what it says because in 2018, the network killed my #MeToo story that was being reported by MSNBC host Joy-Ann Reid. Incredibly, a year after NBC botched Farrow’s reporting on Harvey Weinstein, it had the audacity to do it again.

In November 2017, I told Joy about my experience of being raped by Russell Simmons in 1994. I also shared that in 2006, former Extra co-host A.J. Calloway sexually assaulted me in his car and was subsequently arrested for his crime. When Joy and I first spoke, Russell had already been accused of rape by Keri Claussen Khalighi. In fact, she appeared as a guest on the now-defunct NBC show Megyn Kelly Today. However, I would be the first woman to allege being sexually assaulted by Calloway. When NBC chose to quash my story, it not only abdicated its obligation to report news; it provided cover for a man who would later be accused of serial rape and sexual assault when my story was eventually published by The Hollywood Reporter the following summer.

#308 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31073 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 25 October 2019 - 10:55 AM

F***ing lawyers.

Some of Harvey Weinstein’s accusers say they are being pressured by greedy lawyers to accept a low-ball deal and end their lawsuits against the disgraced movie mogul.

Several people with knowledge of the situation tell The Daily Beast the proposed settlement for all the women is around $47 million, and nearly a third of that sum—$14 million—would go toward Weinstein’s defense fees.

The remaining $33 million would be divided among creditors of Weinstein’s former studio, former employees, and the alleged victims. According to the people familiar with the matter, 25 percent of the victims’ windfall would go to paying the class-action lawyers.

The settlement, expected to be announced in the next month, is an attempt to resolve almost all of the sexual harassment claims against Weinstein—including a class-action suit, a suit filed on behalf of his former employees, and several filed by individual accusers.

Attorneys for two potential holdouts say they’re being bullied to sign the deal by Weinstein’s lawyers and the class-action attorneys.

“My grandfather used to be in the fruit business in Brooklyn,” Thomas P. Giuffra, an attorney for one of the plaintiffs suing on her own, told The Daily Beast. “Guys would show up offering protection. This feels a lot like that.”

“They are giving the money that should go to my client to the guy who raped her,” Giuffra added, explaining that if the defense fees are included in the settlement, Weinstein doesn’t have to pay them. “It takes a cruel and devious mind to come up with such a mean spirited and bullying agreement.”

Beth Fegan, the lead attorney for the class action, denied pressuring the individual plaintiffs to sign the deal and said she had been completely transparent about her fees, which must be approved by the court.

“We have signed agreements with each of our clients that detail the fee arrangement. We never said we were taking on this case as a pro bono case. As always, we’re abundantly clear about how our work is compensated if we are successful on our clients’ behalf,” Fegan said in a statement.

#309 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31073 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 06 December 2019 - 01:26 PM

Weinstein needs to have his bail revoked and be place in prison until his trial for this. With what he's facing and the amount of money he has there's no amount of bail that will be set which could be a deterrent.

Disgraced Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein violated the conditions of his bail, failing to wear part of his required electronic-tracking device and allowing its battery to expire several times, prosecutors argued Friday. During a pre-trial hearing in Manhattan Supreme Court, Assistant District Attorney Joan Illuzzi asked a judge to increase Weinstein’s bail from $1 million to $5 million after he failed to wear an electronic transmitter that works with his ankle bracelet on “numerous” occasions. “It is the people’s position that none of those ‘bracelet gone’ violations were accidental,” Illuzzi said.

Weinstein’s lawyer, Donna Rotunno, denied the violations were deliberate and claimed the bracelet was experiencing “technical glitches.” “It has nothing to do with any manipulation of the bracelet,” Rotunno told reporters after leaving court, though she acknowledged her client forgot part of the device when he left the house on at least one occasion. “The minute he realized he forgot it, he made a phone call.”

Weinstein, 67, has pleaded not guilty to several charges alleging he sexually assaulted two women—one in 2006 and another in 2013. Judge James Burke is expected to make a decision about the bail increase next Wednesday.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users