Sexual Harassment - Is the Tide Finally Turning?

209 replies to this topic

#1 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22184 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 27 October 2017 - 11:20 AM

With the abundance of revelations coming out across politicians, media figures, and film industry figures I figure we should have a single repository. If critical mass is truly being approached for us to see real change then it's nice to see all of the scumbags in one place.

We've already been covering most of the big names like:
  • Donald Trump
  • Roger Ailes and what seems like most of the Fox News senior management
  • Fox News TV personalities Bill O'Reilly and Eric Bolling
  • Political commentator Mark Halperin
  • Actor Bill Cosby
  • Hollywood movie mogul Harvey Weinstein
I'm sure I'm missing plenty so feel free to fill in the blanks.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#2 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22184 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 27 October 2017 - 11:22 AM

Writer / director James Toback looks like he's set to be worse than everybody else at this point.

Actresses Selma Blair and Rachel McAdams have added their names to the growing list of women who have come forward to allege that writer and director James Toback sexually harassed or assaulted them following a report Sunday in The Los Angeles Times detailing the accounts of 38 accusers.

Since Sunday, the number of accusers has ballooned to over 200 alleging inappropriate encounters with Toback, an Oscar-nominee for his "Bugsy" screenplay. Speaking to Vanity Fair in an article published Thursday, Blair and McAdams describe encounters similar to those detailed in the L.A. Times report - many of which assert that Toback, now 72, would talk up his accomplishments and promise stardom, often referencing his friendship with Robert Downey Jr., before masturbating or simulating sex acts on the women.

This article was published around midnight today. By this morning GMA reported the number was up to 300 women.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#3 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22184 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 27 October 2017 - 11:24 AM

And since I posted just a little while ago about how another woman came forward to accuse Halperin after the initial 5 women, another woman has cropped up. So he's now up to 7. These clowns really are all serial predators. There doesn't seem to be any cases of "one and done" over a specific woman.

#4 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22184 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 27 October 2017 - 11:29 AM

WaPo covers how Congress protects its own from sexual harassment charges. Typical "one rule for me and another for thee" Congress stuff. And if a member of Congress does managed to get found guilty and have to pay out a settlement it comes for our tax dollars!

Briony Whitehouse was a 19-year-old intern in 2003 when she boarded an elevator in the Russell Senate Office Building with a Republican senator, who she said groped her until the doors reopened.

She never reported the incident to her bosses for fear of jeopardizing her career. But she recently tweeted about her experience on Twitter as part of the “#MeToo” campaign, a social-media phenomenon that has aired thousands of complaints about unwanted sexual harassment.

Some of the accounts have called out by name Hollywood moguls, media stars, even a former U.S. president. Other women such as Whitehouse have stopped short of naming harassers. Whitehouse in an interview last week with The Washington Post declined to name the politician who made unwanted advances, convinced that he would retaliate.

“At the time, I didn’t know what to do, so I did nothing at all,” said Whitehouse, who works overseas as a political consultant. “Because this happened so early on for me, I just assumed this was the way things worked and that I’d have to accept it.”

If Whitehouse had chosen to pursue a complaint against the senator, she would have discovered a process unlike other parts of the federal government or much of the private sector. Her complaint likely would have been thrown out because interns have limited harassment protections under the unique employment law that Congress applies to itself.

Congress makes its own rules about the handling of sexual complaints against members and staff, passing laws exempting it from practices that apply to other employers.

The result is a culture in which some lawmakers suspect harassment is rampant. Yet victims are unlikely to come forward, according to attorneys who represent them.

Under a law in place since 1995, accusers may file lawsuits only if they first agree to go through months of counseling and mediation. A special congressional office is charged with trying to resolve the cases out of court.

When settlements do occur, members do not pay them from their own office funds, a requirement in other federal agencies. Instead, the confidential payments come out of a special U.S. Treasury fund.

#5 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11431 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 11:50 AM

View PostLFC, on 27 October 2017 - 11:22 AM, said:

Writer / director James Toback looks like he's set to be worse than everybody else at this point.

Perhaps in volume, but I would say that Cosby is still worse given that he was raping unconscious women without even their knowledge beforehand.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#6 Practical Girl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7862 posts
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 27 October 2017 - 12:33 PM

To the title question- I hope so. If nothing else, the public attention should help victims understand that they aren't alone, and that not speaking up can be as personally damaging as any other consequence. That a predator is a predator, no matter whether in dirty jeans or a $10K suit. That the act of harassment is, in and of itself, a threat- no matter what is explicitly laid out or left unspoken. This must stop being even a consideration for the victims or anybody investigating/trying to help.

I do note that much of what we're hearing about currently has been buried for years, sometimes decades. Although it still happens, there is much more education in the employment world. Not something that can be as easily swept away/hidden/ignored- if reported. And still- not enough young people in the workforce get the message loud and clear- if it feels wrong, it is wrong, and you're not to blame. More education, for certain.

The challenge will be to keep this information "out there" beyond the sensationalized cases of the moment. Always an uphill battle, in the era of "outrage today, erased from memory tomorrow" climate we live in.

I include men in this. While Hollywood isn't usually a place I give 3 thoughts to, I'd be willing to bet the there are dark stories to be told from some young men trying to make a living in that atmosphere. Probably other business environments, as well.
Every woman needs a blowtorch.
---Julia Child

--- On September 17, 1787, as Benjamin Franklin was leaving the deliberations of the Constitutional Convention, at Independence Hall, in Philadelphia, a woman called out to him, saying, “Well, Doctor, what have we got, a republic or a monarchy?”
“A republic,” Franklin said, “if you can keep it.”

--- LFC, on Gorsuch ruling: "Awesome. A Christianist who swore an oath to uphold the laws of the nation and bore false witness when he did it"

#7 Rue Bella

Emerging from a state of cryogenic denial

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7517 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 27 October 2017 - 12:59 PM

The "casting couch" is legendary. Hopefully this will shine a light into that particular darkness.

In years past various forms of abuse against children and spouses were also kept hidden. Women coming forward now about these preditors probably is an extension of the belief that abuse does indeed happen in supposedly safe places, and by 'trusted' individuals.

Priests, scout masters, Jerry Sandusky, Michael Jackson, Cosby...
What is wrong with these people? ~ PG

No longer politically correct

#8 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22184 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 27 October 2017 - 01:17 PM

Fear of lawsuits and loss of position are the tools that must be applied vigorously. You may be powerful but the instant you become a massive liability (*cough*, Bill-O, *cough, cough*) the people who stand to lose money over you will kick your ass to the curb.

I have a close friend who is in a very senior position of a big firm. He made the comment that stuff that politicians have done and kept their positions would never fly in big biz. I pointed out that this wasn't true 20 years ago and he agreed. Many Christianists believe that if you don't have a religious moral code and a fear of big daddy in the sky then you can have no real morality at all. The only thing that stops you from being a maniac is fear of retribution. I understand now. For the people they hang out with and admire it's actually quite true. It's true for others as well, of course.

Soooooo, when do Republicans decide that it's gotten out of hand and start talking about limited tort? As long as Hollywood types are getting hit they'll be fine but Faux News had to have hurt.

#9 baw1064

formerly of the public sector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4095 posts
  • LocationEarthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanos--oh my!

Posted 27 October 2017 - 10:40 PM

Personally, I'd like to see public humiliation (hey, if Putin can hire internet trolls, so can the good guys) to the point of driving the perps to suicide.
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” --Dr. Seuss

#10 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8007 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 28 October 2017 - 07:15 AM

OK, anecdotes, and besides this is a seriously atypical college campus. That said, the broadly proclaimed official policy is that Betsy DeVos can stuff her new Title IX nonregulations somewhere painful and the University will be sticking with the rules in place prior to January. Furthermore, I have it on multiple first-hand reports that consent, explicit and unambiguous, is being hammered home to the current crop of students -- all of whom, including the young men in private conversations, think it's a very good idea.

So who knows? Maybe the tide really is turning and the Mad Men era of the guys bragging and the women getting blamed may actually be ending. One can hope.
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#11 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22184 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 30 October 2017 - 03:11 PM

Kevin Spacey is now accused of molesting a 14-year old boy who is now a well known actor. Spacey immediately came out as gay which is all the ammo the right-wingnuts need to equate homosexuality with pedophilia. Nice. Way to cover your ass, Kev.

On Sunday night, BuzzFeed News published an account from Star Trek: Discovery actor Anthony Rapp alleging that Kevin Spacey made sexual advances toward him when he was 14 years old.

Spacey, who has dodged rumors that he’s gay for years—and even made a public mockery of coming out at this year’s Tony Awards—responded to the allegations by saying if he did do what Rapp alleges, then he apologizes for his “deeply inappropriate drunken behavior.” He then used his statement to come out of the closet, saying that he “chooses” to “live as a gay man.”

Who knew that the only thing worse than Spacey’s years of remaining in a glass closet would be his actual coming out?

Posted Image

In the ensuing days, many headlines will likely lead with the fact that Spacey has come out as a gay man. This is a calculated move from Spacey and a PR team that has handled rumors surrounding his sexuality for years.

#12 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4589 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 30 October 2017 - 03:45 PM

View PostLFC, on 30 October 2017 - 03:11 PM, said:

Kevin Spacey is now accused of molesting a 14-year old boy who is now a well known actor. Spacey immediately came out as gay which is all the ammo the right-wingnuts need to equate homosexuality with pedophilia. Nice. Way to cover your ass, Kev.

Some gay friends of mine are furious with Spacey over this. He's been in the closet for years and decides to come out now over this??? Does he think somehow pedophilia is more socially acceptable than assault of a minor by a gay man?

#13 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22184 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 30 October 2017 - 04:09 PM

House of Cards is cancelled. The piece said the decision was made in the summer but the timing sure seems like Netflix doesn't want to be tainted.

House of Cards” has officially been canceled. Netflix revealed fans will be forced to say goodbye to Kevin Spacey’s Frank Underwood following the show’s sixth and final season.

The decision to end the show was reportedly made over the summer, according to The Hollywood Reporter. However, an official announcement was released on Monday following Spacey’s apology for sexually assaulting Anthony Rapp and coming out as a gay.

While many fans are still in shock over the allegations, others have mixed emotions after learning the series has been canceled.

One fan called for the show to kill off Spacey’s character rather than end the series. “Just kill Frank off-screen and let Clair rule #HouseOfCards,” one fan wrote.

On Twitter, one user was relieved that he never became a fan of the series. “And now #KevinSpacey. Glad I never got around to watching #HouseOfCards. Those cards just fell down hard,” he wrote.

Meanwhile Mark Halperin is now an involuntary free agent.

NBC News terminated its contract with senior political analyst Mark Halperin following allegations that he sexually harassed a dozen women during his tenure at ABC News.

An NBC News spokesperson confirmed the termination Monday shortly before Eleanor McManus, one of Halperin's accusers, appeared on the network's "Megyn Kelly Today."

#14 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22184 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 31 October 2017 - 12:03 PM

Coincidence? Seriously, if you found somebody's clothes on a plane why the f*** would you immediately test them for narcotics?

An arrest warrant has been issued for actress Rose McGowan over a felony drug-possession charge from January. McGowan, who has been at the center of the Harvey Weinstein scandal, is being sought to appear in a Loudoun County, Virginia, court for an incident at Washington’s Dulles International Airport on Jan. 20, the Associated Press reports. Police say personal belongings left behind by McGowan on a United flight that day were found to contain traces of narcotics. The Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority Police Department obtained a warrant over the charges on Feb. 1, and it has now been entered into a national law-enforcement database. On Twitter, McGowan called news of the warrant “a load of horseshit.” “Are they trying to silence me?” she wrote.

#15 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22184 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 01 November 2017 - 01:50 PM

Dustin Hoffman and director Brett Ratner are next up in Hollywood. Ratner sounds like a real piece of work.

Hollywood’s widening sexual harassment crisis has ensnared a prominent film director after six women — including actress Olivia Munn — accused Brett Ratner of sexual assault or misconduct in a Los Angeles Times report on Wednesday.

The reverberations also reached back 32 years as Oscar-winner Dustin Hoffman came forward to apologize for allegedly sexually harassing a 17-year-old intern in 1985.

Writer Anna Graham Hunter alleges in a Wednesday column in The Hollywood Reporter that the now 80-year-old actor groped her on the set of TV movie “Death of a Salesman” and “talked about sex to me and in front of me.”

Hoffman issued a statement Wednesday, apologizing for “anything I might have done could have put her in an uncomfortable situation. I am sorry. It is not reflective of who I am.”

Munn also complained about onset behavior, alleging that while visiting the set of Ratner’s “After the Sunset” in 2004, he masturbated in front of her in his trailer. Munn described the incident, without naming Ratner, in a 2010 collection of essays.

Representatives for Ratner didn’t immediately respond to queries Wednesday. Ratner directed the “Rush Hour” film series, “Red Dragon,” ”X-Men: The Last Stand” and “Tower Heist.” Warner Bros., which has a first-look deal with Ratner, said in a statement: “We are aware of the allegations in the LA Times and are reviewing the situation.”

The LA Times report describes other encounters where Ratner aggressively pursued actresses, sometimes following them into a bathroom.

#16 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22184 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 01 November 2017 - 01:53 PM

And a top editor at NPR has resigned.

A top editor at NPR has resigned following complaints of harassment from at least two women.

In a letter to NPR staff, which a spokesperson shared with TPM, CEO Jarl Mohn told staff he had asked for the resignation of senior vice president of news and editorial director Michael Oreskes because of “inappropriate behavior.”

“Some have asked me if it took published news reports for us to take action. The answer is that it did not. We have been acting. Some of the steps we took were visible and others weren’t. We have a process in place and we followed that process,” Mohn said in the staff memo. “I know people have asked for more details. The only way to encourage staff to come forward with any issues is to promise their concerns will remain confidential. That constrains us from providing details about personnel matters.”

The Washington Post spoke to two women who said Oreskes abruptly kissed them and stuck his tongue in their mouth without consent, when they met with him seeking career advice. The two alleged incidents occurred in the 1990s when Oreskes worked at The New York Times, the Post reported Tuesday.

#17 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22184 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 03 November 2017 - 11:14 AM

Yeah, it may have been a mistake to place this thread in Non-Political. You just knew that you'd be hearing about Congressional scumbags sooner or later.

For years, Republican Rep. Mary Bono endured the increasingly suggestive comments from a fellow lawmaker in the House. But when the congressman approached her on the House floor and told her he’d been thinking about her in the shower, she’d had enough.

She confronted the man, who she said still serves in Congress, telling him his comments were demeaning and wrong. And he backed off.

Bono, who served 15 years before being defeated in 2012, is not alone.

As reports flow almost daily of harassment or worse by men in entertainment, business and the media, one current and three former female lawmakers tell The Associated Press that they, too, have been harassed or subjected to hostile sexual comments — by fellow members of Congress.

The incidents occurred years or even decades ago, usually when the women were young newcomers to Congress. They range from isolated comments at one hearing, to repeated unwanted come-ons, to lewd remarks and even groping on the House floor. Coming amid an intensifying national focus on sexual harassment and gender hostility in the workplace, the revelations underscore that no woman is immune, even at the highest reaches of government.

“This is about power,” said former California Sen. Barbara Boxer, after describing an incident at a hearing in the 1980s where a male colleague made a sexually suggestive comment. The colleague, using the traditional congressional parlance, said he wanted to “associate” himself with her remarks — adding afterward that he also wanted to “associate with the gentle lady.”

Boxer said the comment was met with general laughter and an approving second from the committee chairman. She said she later asked that it be removed from the record.

“That was an example of the way I think we were thought of, a lot of us. … It’s hostile and embarrasses, and therefore could take away a person’s power,” she said.

“When I was a very new member of Congress in my early 30s, there was a more senior member who outright propositioned me, who was married, and despite trying to laugh it off and brush it aside it, would repeat. And I would avoid that member,” said Rep. Linda Sanchez, D-Calif. She added that she would warn other new female members about the lawmaker in question, but she declined to identify him, while saying he remains in Congress.

“I just don’t think it would be helpful” to call the lawmaker out by name, Sanchez said. “The problem is, as a member there’s no HR department you can go to, there’s nobody you can turn to. Ultimately they’re employed by their constituents.”

Former Rep. Hilda Solis, now a Los Angeles County supervisor, recalls repeated unwanted harassing overtures from one lawmaker, though she declined to name him or go into detail.

“I don’t think I’m the only one. What I tried to do was ignore it, turn away, walk away. Obviously it’s offensive. Are you supposed to be flattered? No, we’re adults. Not appropriate,” said Solis, who left Congress in 2009 to join the Obama administration as labor secretary.

“It’s humiliating, even though they may have thought they were being cute. No, it’s not. It’s not appropriate. I’m your colleague, but he doesn’t see me that way, and that’s a problem,” Solis said.

Rep. Jackie Speier of California has recently gone public with an account of being sexually assaulted by a male chief of staff while she was a congressional staffer. She has criticized the vague rules in place on the issue and is preparing legislation to mandate sexual harassment training for congressional offices, among other changes. In a video posted to Twitter last week, she called Congress “a breeding ground for a hostile work environment” and encouraged others to come forward.

Yet when it comes to lawmakers themselves, Speier said: “I think the women in Congress are big girls. The equalizer that exists in Congress that doesn’t exist in other settings is that we all get paid the same amount and we all have a vote, the same vote. So if you have members that are demeaning you it’s because you’re letting them.”

Former Rep. Ellen Tauscher of California flatly argued that harassment can’t take place between members of Congress. “Female members and male members are equals, they don’t sexually harass each other,” Tauscher said.

In fact, the law specifies that harassment can occur between equals, said Jennifer Drobac, a professor at the Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law, who teaches a course in sexual harassment law.

“Formally, two members of Congress may have the same status. That doesn’t change the fact that sexual harassment can occur between peers,” Drobac said, noting that numerous other factors can come into play, including the difference in age and length of service between the members, and the mere fact that men have more power in society than women.

#18 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10233 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 12:05 PM

Pretty sure one party would just yell “Hell YEAH” if they found their members of Congress were sexual harassers. Look who they voted for as President.

Don’t know if the Dems would be great, but probably a member identified this would be primaried out if he didn’t resign.

Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#19 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22184 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 03 November 2017 - 12:27 PM

Ivanka Trump, quite possibly one of the worst voices to speak on this outside of an actual sexual predator (*cough* your dad *cough, cough*), comes out against sexual harassment.

Ivanka Trump said at a Tokyo conference on women’s advancement Friday that harassment of women in the workplace cannot be tolerated.

The U.S. president’s daughter and adviser spoke at the World Assembly for Women amid growing attention to sexual harassment of women in Hollywood and other industries in the United States.

“All too often, our workplace culture fails to treat women with appropriate respect,” she said. “This takes many forms including harassment which can never be tolerated.”

She did not give examples.

In her speech, she also said workplaces need to make further efforts to respect women’s values and accommodate the need for balance between work and family.

Despite the increase in the percentage of women at workplaces, corporate expectations have remained “stagnant” and still operate on “a single-honor mindset” with expectations for mothers to stay home to provide fulltime care, she said.

It “disproportionately” impacts women and most likely causes them to leave jobs or curtail ambitions due to lack of affordable care for children or relatives who can help, she said, calling for innovative ways to make it easier for women to enjoy motherhood without compromising their careers.

“This isn’t a woman’s issue, it’s a family issue,” she said.

Maybe she needs to first ask why Republicans have attacked pro-woman / pro-family policies on a regular basis? Nah. That's too much for a bubble-headed airhead who never grew up. (Man, she really IS daddy's girl! A chip off the old blockhead.)

#20 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22184 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 03 November 2017 - 02:43 PM

Vox created a current list of everybody accusing Harvey Weinstein of sexual harassment or assault.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users