#221 Beelzebuddy

Convenient Target of Irrational Fears

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2111 posts
  • LocationAustin

Posted 15 November 2019 - 11:42 AM

View PostJackD, on 14 November 2019 - 08:42 PM, said:

I guess that's OK; just don't call the class science.
Let's play make believe!
Fear Sells!

Cui bono?

"The real problem of humanity is the following: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and god-like technology." - EO Wilson.

"Hell is truth seen too late" - T Hobbes

#222 JackD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1916 posts
  • LocationChicago area

Posted 15 November 2019 - 11:45 AM

Yes, a class in make believe or, perhaps, I believe, in which "discussion" would be quickly reduced to shouting.

#223 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31052 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 16 November 2019 - 08:08 PM

JackD, on 15 November 2019 - 11:45 AM, said:

Yes, a class in make believe ...

They already exist. They call it "Sunday school."
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#224 Sinan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2735 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 17 November 2019 - 09:26 AM

Found a great site to keep up with all the shenanigans of the right wing Christian con games. You can't make some of this shit up. Check it out.

https://deadstate.org/

If you read these articles you will get a deeper understanding of just how fucked up this whole industry of liars and cheats are....scary stuff.
"anyone who believes exponential growth can go on forever in a finite world is either a madman or an economist."
Kenneth Boulding

"A person who reads books lives a thousand lives. A person who never reads lives only one"
George Martin

"Is that a real poncho or a Sears poncho?"
Zappa

"and let not mankind bogart love"

Willie Nelson and Colbert

#225 JackD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1916 posts
  • LocationChicago area

Posted 17 November 2019 - 10:47 AM

And, per CNN, there's a "Flat Earth Conspiracy". In addition to liars and cheats, there's goofs.

#226 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31052 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 22 November 2019 - 07:17 PM

Probably already reported on TRS since it's from 2016, right before the election, but it bears repeating.

Quick: do you think politicians can still do their jobs if they've screwed up in their personal lives?

Many Americans answer this question differently now than they would have five years ago. And for white evangelical Protestants, it's especially likely their opinion has changed.

That's what a new PRRI/Brookings poll says. In 2011, 30 percent of white evangelicals said that "an elected official who commits an immoral act in their personal life can still behave ethically and fulfill their duties in their public and professional life." Now, 72 percent say so — a far bigger swing than other religious groups the poll studied.

It's just one poll, but it does suggest a sizable shift in how Americans of several religious stripes think about the connection between morality and politics. White evangelicals also are less likely than they used to be to say that "strong religious beliefs" are "very important" in a presidential candidate. That share fell from 64 percent in 2011 to 49 percent this year.

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#227 JackD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1916 posts
  • LocationChicago area

Posted 22 November 2019 - 09:49 PM

Of course we ought to recall that immoral behavior by those in high office is not new nor is it limited to evangelicals, and those guilty were reelected with great regularity.

#228 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13749 posts

Posted 23 November 2019 - 08:08 PM

Posted Image
“Trump’s a stupid man’s idea of a smart person, a poor man’s idea of a rich person & a weak man’s idea of a strong man.”

— Fran Lebowitz

“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It's simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

— Carl Sagan

Pray for Trump: Psalm 109:8

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#229 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10269 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 24 November 2019 - 07:57 AM

Seen the latest on that?

Another step into proclaiming that Trump is the Second Coming. Basic argument is that Jesus got under peoples' skin, Trump gets under peoples' skin, therefore ...

Also interesting is that someone calling himself a "Messianic Rabbi" seems to think that the Pharisees were the established power in Palestine 2000 years ago.
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#230 Probabilistic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2268 posts

Posted 24 November 2019 - 10:51 PM

View PostD. C. Sessions, on 24 November 2019 - 07:57 AM, said:

Another step into proclaiming that Trump is the Second Coming. Basic argument is that Jesus got under peoples' skin, Trump gets under peoples' skin, therefore ...

Buffalo Bill got under people's skin too.

#231 Rue Bella

Emerging from a state of cryogenic denial

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8104 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 24 November 2019 - 11:54 PM

So does scabies.
What is wrong with these people? ~ PG

California Secession - Let my people go!

#232 HockeyDon

Mind blown...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3738 posts
  • LocationNew Britain, CT

Posted 26 November 2019 - 05:56 AM

View PostAnBr, on 23 November 2019 - 08:08 PM, said:

Posted Image

Many of us have heard or read the saying that the best case to be made for atheism is just reading the bible.

In that context...

Trump being sent by God and is doing God's will makes perfect sense to me. It doesn't take much reading of the bible to come to the conclusion that God is an evil bastard. Likewise, it doesn't take much absorption of today's political news to come to the conclusion that Trump is an evil bastard.

Thus, Trump IS doing God's will.
Well, fuck.

How can I be expected to distinguish BS from reality when so much of my reality is utter BS?!

"There seems to be a lot of people dying of ignorance while living in the information age." my sister-in-law.

#233 Beelzebuddy

Convenient Target of Irrational Fears

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2111 posts
  • LocationAustin

Posted 26 November 2019 - 11:07 AM

View PostHockeyDon, on 26 November 2019 - 05:56 AM, said:

Many of us have heard or read the saying that the best case to be made for atheism is just reading the bible.

In that context...

Trump being sent by God and is doing God's will makes perfect sense to me. It doesn't take much reading of the bible to come to the conclusion that God is an evil bastard. Likewise, it doesn't take much absorption of today's political news to come to the conclusion that Trump is an evil bastard.

Hear him!
Fear Sells!

Cui bono?

"The real problem of humanity is the following: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and god-like technology." - EO Wilson.

"Hell is truth seen too late" - T Hobbes

#234 Probabilistic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2268 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 11:28 AM

View PostHockeyDon, on 26 November 2019 - 05:56 AM, said:

In that context...

So, which one is it: God doesn't exist OR God is an evil bastard (however, does exist)?

I think the argument is better suited for anti-theism.

The Bible line is a great argument to troll the evangelicals.

#235 MSheridan

Human, for lack of options

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2709 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 26 November 2019 - 02:55 PM

Meh. I'm not a believer in any faith or creed, but seeing the Bible (or any other major religious text) as evidence for atheism or anti-theism only makes sense if you read it in exactly the same way the fundamentalists do. If you believe, as I do, that Spinoza had a solid case that everything to be found in Scripture, including moral truths, is at best filtered through the human sensibilities of its authors, then you can take Scripture as an interesting and sometimes useful guide, while remaining free to apply the intellect and moral intuition to those questions left unaddressed, only partially addressed, or inconsistently addressed. It is only when people insist that these obvious lacunae and inconsistencies do not actually exist--that the Bible not only addresses every moral quandary but does so consistently and correctly in every case--that they break it and ruin it for use.

#236 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31052 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 26 November 2019 - 03:16 PM

View PostMSheridan, on 26 November 2019 - 02:55 PM, said:

...while remaining free to apply the intellect and moral intuition to those questions left unaddressed, only partially addressed, or inconsistently addressed.

Sounds like the antithesis of too much of religion in America. The word of the day is instead "OBEY!"

#237 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13749 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 11:25 AM

Posted Image
“Trump’s a stupid man’s idea of a smart person, a poor man’s idea of a rich person & a weak man’s idea of a strong man.”

— Fran Lebowitz

“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It's simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

— Carl Sagan

Pray for Trump: Psalm 109:8

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#238 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31052 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 04 December 2019 - 05:43 PM

Trump's evangelicals are touching themselves over this judicial pick ... but feeling a little guilty about it. The touching, not the pick.

Senate Republicans confirmed Sarah Pitlyk to a lifetime federal judgeship Wednesday, amid outcry about the attorney’s comments on surogacy, invitro fertilization and abortion. In a 2017 amicus brief first reported by HuffPost, Pitlyk claimed that surrogacy would have “grave effects on society,” including the exploitation of women and the “weakening of appropriate social mores against eugenic abortion.” Pitlyk, who currently serves as special counsel to the conservative Thomas More Society, has also claimed it is “scientific fact” that life begins at conception, and defended a six-week abortion ban in Iowa that was later deemed unconstitutional. Vanita Gupta, the president of the Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights, called Pitlyk’s confirmation “deeply disturbing,” and added that it “epitomizes Trump’s and Senate Republicans’ agenda to roll back our civil rights by stacking the courts with unfit nominees.” Pitlyk will serve on the US. District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri.

#239 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6127 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 04 December 2019 - 07:55 PM

View PostLFC, on 04 December 2019 - 05:43 PM, said:

Trump's evangelicals are touching themselves over this judicial pick ... but feeling a little guilty about it. The touching, not the pick.

I must admit that surrogacy concerns me too...I worry about turning a group of women into breeders for pay. There needs to be a lot more thought put into the issue and the passing of legislation (not just commercial contract law) that governs it, if it continues, to protect all parties involved. But the rest of this nominee's stuff is unConstitutional.

#240 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10269 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 04 December 2019 - 08:29 PM

View Postgolden_valley, on 04 December 2019 - 07:55 PM, said:

But the rest of this nominee's stuff is unConstitutional.

It's Constitutional if the Supreme Court says it is. And she's a full-on Catholic activist -- just like the five Catholics on the Court.

BTW, confirmed, 49-44.
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users