#1 Bact PhD

Frustrated, Thoughtful Independent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1170 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 07 September 2017 - 05:25 PM

Just saw this va WaPo, from the article:

Criminal hackers gained access to sensitive personal data — including Social Security numbers, birth dates and home addresses — of 143 million Americans by penetrating a Web-based application for Equifax, the credit reporting agency said Thursday

Seriously?!??
Politics these days is show business. Elections are Dancing with the Stars with consequences. ~Rue Bella

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." --Thomas Jefferson to Charles Yancey, 1816. ME 14:384, via LFC, 12/1/2016

Competent people go in one of a few directions. But incompetence is infinite. ~David Brooks, NY Times

#2 baw1064

formerly of the public sector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3597 posts
  • LocationEarthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanos--oh my!

Posted 07 September 2017 - 06:52 PM

But wait, it gets even better.

Three Equifax Managers Sold Stock Before Cyber Hack Was Revealed
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” --Dr. Seuss

#3 indy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8356 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 07:18 PM

Well, isn't this great. What a mess.

#4 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9427 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 07:34 PM

View Postbaw1064, on 07 September 2017 - 06:52 PM, said:

Seems like that ought to have someone in Orange jumpsuits for a few years.

Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#5 baw1064

formerly of the public sector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3597 posts
  • LocationEarthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanos--oh my!

Posted 07 September 2017 - 07:51 PM

View PostProgressive whisperer, on 07 September 2017 - 07:34 PM, said:

I agree, but I'm not sure if J. Beauregard Sessions does.
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” --Dr. Seuss

#6 indy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8356 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 08:13 PM

Here, let me predict the outcome.

Nobody goes to jail.
A class action suit makes a lot of lawyers a lot of money.
Consumers receive a 50 cent coupon for something they don't want and spend months of their lives cleaning this mess up.
No actions are taken to prevent this in the future.

Some days I spend more than a few moments wondering how the entire world doesn't collapse around our ears.

#7 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6854 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 07 September 2017 - 08:38 PM

View PostProgressive whisperer, on 07 September 2017 - 07:34 PM, said:

Are they black?
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
The purpose of "defense spending" isn't "defense," it's "spending."
Our Party! In her relations with other Americans may she always be in the right; but Our Party, right or wrong!

#8 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6854 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 08:39 PM

View Postindy, on 07 September 2017 - 08:13 PM, said:

Some days I spend more than a few moments wondering how the entire world doesn't collapse around our ears.

Patience, indy, patience.
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
Our Party! In her relations with other Americans may she always be in the right; but Our Party, right or wrong!

#9 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9427 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 09:41 PM

View PostD. C. Sessions, on 07 September 2017 - 08:39 PM, said:

Patience, indy, patience.

Right, we are working on it. And now we have a trump card (ba-da-boom).

Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#10 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10266 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 09:54 PM

View PostProgressive whisperer, on 07 September 2017 - 09:41 PM, said:

Right, we are working on it. And now we have a trump card (ba-da-boom).

ba-da-boom
"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

#11 Rue Bella

Emerging from a state of cryogenic denial

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7310 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 07 September 2017 - 09:54 PM

(ba-da-BOOM)

Posted Image
What is wrong with these people? ~ PG

No longer politically correct

#12 drdredel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2336 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 02:27 PM

Two Articles in the NYT really expose how pathetic this all is.

The fact that there's no agency in the government that can punish anyone here and/or protect any of us and/or even acknowledge that we've built a massive system that everyone is slave to; that no one volunteered to be a part of; and that has no ability to police itself or protect its unwitting "customers" from being preyed upon by "hackers" (seriously? "hackers"? Can we maybe find a slightly more serious term for this sort of data theft?) is very frustrating and more than a little scary.

I'll have more hand wringing and meaningless bluster on this shortly...
The Blind have lost their sense of "sight";
The Deaf have lost their sense of "hearing";
Republicans have lost their sense of "common".

#13 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17743 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 12 September 2017 - 10:11 AM

View Postdrdredel, on 09 September 2017 - 02:27 PM, said:

The fact that there's no agency in the government that can punish anyone here and/or protect any of us and/or even acknowledge that we've built a massive system that everyone is slave to; that no one volunteered to be a part of; and that has no ability to police itself or protect its unwitting "customers" from being preyed upon by "hackers" (seriously? "hackers"? Can we maybe find a slightly more serious term for this sort of data theft?) is very frustrating and more than a little scary.

This is a natural and expected outcome of the Republican "less regulation to allow more 'innovation'" mantra. Company shareholders and officers get rich harvesting our data with virtually all risk externalized onto us. When things turn to crap all you can do is sue. Of course virtually nobody has pockets deep enough to do it on their own so they have to go class action guaranteeing you will end up with a shitty deal but it's your only recourse. All of this is by design though a number of Republicans want to get rid of the pesky class action part. Then companies will be free to REALLY innovate ... you know, like Wells Fargo.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"Didn't vote for Hillary Clinton? Then you own [insert horrible act here]."

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

#14 drdredel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2336 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 01:31 PM

View PostLFC, on 12 September 2017 - 10:11 AM, said:

This is a natural and expected outcome of the Republican "less regulation to allow more 'innovation'" mantra. Company shareholders and officers get rich harvesting our data with virtually all risk externalized onto us. When things turn to crap all you can do is sue. Of course virtually nobody has pockets deep enough to do it on their own so they have to go class action guaranteeing you will end up with a shitty deal but it's your only recourse. All of this is by design though a number of Republicans want to get rid of the pesky class action part. Then companies will be free to REALLY innovate ... you know, like Wells Fargo.

Sure - but I don't see Democrats being overly concerned about this either. This seems like such a clear case of the public being abused by out-of-control private mechanisms and I don't hear anyone really addressing the issue - even if there *wasn't a data breach. The public is beholden to this Kafka-esqe monstrosity where all their day-to-day experiences are subject to this "score" over which they have no direct control.

It would be ok if the only reason for this score were to play in the world of finance. But you can't get a cell-phone without a good credit score and your potential employers are now looking at your credit as are the people who might rent you an apartment. Ironically (and almost comically) you could have been a gold rated renter for 20 years - with not a single late payment - and yet that reality plays no direct role in whether or not someone will rent to you if you have a low (or non-existent) credit score.

I've come in contact with this reality many times. After the 2007 crash, my score dropped to the low 600ds. I can't begin to recount how many inconveniences this created in worlds that have absolutely nothing to do with how credit worthy I may or may not be.

And there's no opting out - there's no "do not call" list for any of this. You're a hapless participant. HOW is this ok?! I'm not clear on which political dogma this reality lines up with. Certainly not Libertarian or Liberal. "Conservative"? I'm not sure what self-described Conservative (with emphasis on personal responsibility) would defend a system where no amount of being personally responsible can get you the required outcome. The ONLY way to success is to play a very specific game of credit access and use (and even THEN the rules are in a black box that you have to read a ton of tea-leaves to get right.

What's the correct amount of credit you should have to raise your score? How much of it should be utilized? Does it matter if you pay your utility bills on time? Do your dealings with the IRS play into the metric? How about collections and levies? At what pace do your score in/de crease if any of these metrics change? It's a giant mystery. Sure there are general guidelines that you can find and follow - but no specifics and literally NO ONE can tell you exactly why your score is what it is because the algorithms are heavily guarded trade secrets.

Here's a job for a "Hacker" - break into the three credit bureaus and send wiki-leaks the ACTUAL formulas and algorithms these fuckers use to rate us. Oh, and while we're at it, can we have Trump's tax returns?

Ok... I'm done now.
The Blind have lost their sense of "sight";
The Deaf have lost their sense of "hearing";
Republicans have lost their sense of "common".

#15 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6854 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 02:40 PM

Rather more to the point, break in (or acquire the stuff that's already been scraped) and publish the full data on every Member of Congress, every senior member of the Administration, and every person with buckets of money -- working down from the top.

One suspicion for why Equifax waited as long as they did is that they weren't sure that it would go public, and as long as it wasn't about to hit the media there was no reason to 'fess up.

#16 indy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8356 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 03:18 PM

Democrats have been addressing it. In fact, they created an entire new agency for it, called the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. They have been doing some great things. In fact, just this year they fined all three credit bureaus for 26 million and started to outline what can and can't be used in credit scores (resulting in some 12 million score improvements).

This isn't a case of both sides do it. At all.

Of course, then Trump was elected and they have begun to undo it all.

So long as the cost of manipulating voters is less than actually implementing security, this is what will happen. Manipulating voters is practically free so you can see the real problem.

#17 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17743 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 12 September 2017 - 04:18 PM

Indy beat me to it. To say the Republicans and the Democrats are on equal footing on consumer protection is absurd. There's been plenty of ink (well, bytes) written on this very subject for years, certainly since the proposal of Dodd-Frank. And Elizabeth Warren is hated by the right for this very reason.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"Didn't vote for Hillary Clinton? Then you own [insert horrible act here]."

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

#18 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9427 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 04:22 PM

View PostLFC, on 12 September 2017 - 04:18 PM, said:

Indy beat me to it. To say the Republicans and the Democrats are on equal footing on consumer protection is absurd. There's been plenty of ink (well, bytes) written on this very subject for years, certainly since the proposal of Dodd-Frank. And Elizabeth Warren is hated by the right for this very reason.

Right, it isn't a question of "could Dems do more?". Sure, maybe, if they had supermajorities. The one sure thing is that the GOP will do LESS, and try to undo whatever the Democrats have accomplished.

Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#19 indy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8356 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 05:26 PM

Clinton, Pelosi, and Warren are all hated by the right beyond all reason. Do I sense a theme?

#20 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6854 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 05:51 PM

View Postindy, on 12 September 2017 - 05:26 PM, said:

Clinton, Pelosi, and Warren are all hated by the right beyond all reason. Do I sense a theme?

You forgot Obama.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users