#61 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13288 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 26 September 2017 - 01:07 PM

View Postbaw1064, on 26 September 2017 - 12:52 PM, said:

I was sure this came from Borowitz or the Onion.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."-- Winston Churchill
"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices" Voltaire

#62 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29837 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 26 September 2017 - 01:18 PM

View PostMSheridan, on 26 September 2017 - 12:52 PM, said:

Taibbi did a decent obituary over at Rolling Stone:

Roger Ailes Was One of the Worst Americans Ever

This is just awesome.

When I mentioned to one of my relatives that I was writing about the death of Ailes, the response was, "Say that you hope he's reborn as a woman in Saudi Arabia."

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#63 cmk

Chief Cook and Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 7540 posts
  • LocationBennington, VT, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Known Universe

Posted 26 September 2017 - 01:44 PM

I know it's considered in poor taste to "dance on a grave" and out of respect I probably wouldn't have said anything at the time. But it's been four months and let's not sugarcoat what he was. He's probably indirectly responsible for literally tens of millions of people living worse lives than they would have if he never had been born.
Charles M. Kozierok - Administrator, TalkRadioSucks.com

"The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools." -- Herbert Spencer

"Atheism is a religion like abstinence is a sex position." -- Bill Maher

"Our new Government['s] foundations are laid, its cornerstone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery, subordination to the superior race, is his natural and moral condition." -- Alexander Stephens, Vice-President of the Confederacy

#64 MSheridan

Human, for lack of options

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2659 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 26 September 2017 - 01:47 PM

View PostLFC, on 26 September 2017 - 01:18 PM, said:

This is just awesome.

When I mentioned to one of my relatives that I was writing about the death of Ailes, the response was, "Say that you hope he's reborn as a woman in Saudi Arabia."

I doubt reincarnation, although no more so than I doubt any other scheme of proposed life after death. However, from a perspective of pure aesthetics, when it comes to individuals as grossly evil as he, I like neither the idea of reincarnation nor the idea of eternal fire. No, I'd rather go with the ancient Egyptians on this one. If, when your heart is weighed in the scales against Ma'at's Feather of Truth, it is heavier, then it is tossed into the lake of fire to be eaten by Ammit the Devourer (a little like the Soul Nazi--"No afterlife for you!"). I'm pretty sure Ailes' heart weighed several tons.

#65 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10233 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 01:51 PM

View Postcmk, on 26 September 2017 - 01:44 PM, said:

I know it's considered in poor taste to "dance on a grave" and out of respect I probably wouldn't have said anything at the time. But it's been four months and let's not sugarcoat what he was. He's probably indirectly responsible for literally tens of millions of people living worse lives than they would have if he never had been born.

They say we should speak only good of the dead.

He's dead.

Good.

Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#66 pnwguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1827 posts
  • LocationPortlandia

Posted 26 September 2017 - 01:55 PM

Maybe Ailes is keeping a seat warm in Hell for Dumpster. Extra brimstone, please....
"All glory to the HypnoTrump, or else..."

"It all makes sense when you remind yourself that the GOP is no longer a political party but turned into an organized crime family"

"I hope to live long enough that the name Trump is reviled as much as the name Hitler or Stalin"

#67 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9940 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 26 September 2017 - 01:56 PM

View PostMSheridan, on 26 September 2017 - 11:16 AM, said:

Even now--and this is also hard to fathom--if he manages with great effort to give a speech that isn't prima facie proof of profound mental or moral incapacity there are pundits who speculate about a "pivot."

If even a fraction of those "pivots" were for real, Trump would be spinning even faster than Abe Lincoln.
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#68 baw1064

formerly of the public sector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4983 posts
  • LocationEarthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanos--oh my!

Posted 26 September 2017 - 02:33 PM

View Postcmk, on 26 September 2017 - 01:44 PM, said:

You should check out the political comics thread (I forget the exact page). There's a wonderful cartoon of Ailes roasting in a hot tub fire pit in Hell.
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” --Dr. Seuss

#69 MSheridan

Human, for lack of options

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2659 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 26 September 2017 - 04:07 PM

Knowing the time frame, easy enough:

Here

#70 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29837 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 28 September 2017 - 01:26 PM

China is finally saying "ENOUGH!" Kim can mock Trump all he wants but China is the real power player here.

The Chinese government announced Thursday that all North Korean firms and joint ventures in China will be closed in compliance with the most recent sanctions against Pyongyang. All North Korean-owned companies have 120 days from the sanctions’ Sept. 11 adoption date to shut down. Nonprofit and non-commercial infrastructure projects approved by the U.N. Security Council will be exempted. The new sanctions, the harshest imposed yet, also ban textile exports and further restricts North Korea’s oil supply.

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#71 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29837 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 29 September 2017 - 11:09 AM

Things are going past rhetoric and into the first stages of mobilization.

The Korean War is apparently back on, and North Korea is moving military assets, evidently to confront American warplanes flying along its eastern coast. At the same time, South Korea has announced that the U.S. will soon be repositioning “strategic assets” closer to the Korean Peninsula.

Both sides, in short, are in the early stages of mobilization.

On Wednesday, Chung Eui-yong, chief of South Korea’s National Security Office, disclosed that the U.S. had promised in writing to move forces to support the South. “The U.S. has pledged to expand the rotational deployment of its strategic assets near the Korean Peninsula,” Chung said during a meeting convened by President Moon Jae-in in his underground crisis-management center. The Pentagon, Chung said, “will begin as early as late this year, and this will help us expand our defense capabilities.”

Chung did not detail which U.S. assets he was referring to, although the phrase he used is generally understood to mean nuclear weapons.

Chung’s startling disclosure followed a Reuters report from Monday in which a “U.S. official,” speaking anonymously, said satellite imagery showed North Korea had moved a few aircraft to eastern coastal areas.

#72 JackD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1775 posts
  • LocationChicago area

Posted 29 September 2017 - 04:04 PM

Let's hope the Chinese actions get through to NK.

#73 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5919 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 01 October 2017 - 01:51 PM

Not sure if Trump is playing his version of "good cop; bad cop" (I'm sure he's seen it on a tv show that has good ratings) or if he's in that stuck needle on a vinyl album thing that he does....Trump says Tillerson is ‘wasting his time’ trying to pursue negotiations with North Korea

#74 Rue Bella

Emerging from a state of cryogenic denial

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7956 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 01 October 2017 - 01:54 PM

Let's just nuke the place and get it over with.

Go Trump!!
What is wrong with these people? ~ PG

California Secession - Let my people go!

#75 drdredel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2419 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 02:01 PM

View Postgolden_valley, on 01 October 2017 - 01:51 PM, said:

Not sure if Trump is playing his version of "good cop; bad cop" (I'm sure he's seen it on a tv that has good ratings) or if he's in that stuck needle on a vinyl album thing that he does....Trump says Tillerson is ‘wasting his time’ trying to pursue negotiations with North Korea

Putting aside all the obvious here; I'm genuinely stumped as to what's going on behind the scenes. Presumably, Tillerson doesn't just go and communicate with North Korea without Trump's awareness and also one would assume that Tillerson doesn't put out official statements (like the one that Trump is now rebuking) without first checking with DT.

So - I fail to see how this can be anything other than a coordinated effort. Either that or Trump has literally lost his mind (I'm not saying that hyperbolically).

But if he hasn't lost his mind and if Trump knew that RT is in some form of communication with NK and if Trump approved those communications then what's the purpose of this tweet? RT wouldn't have engaged without approval, right? So - this *has to be a play of some kind. The question is - for whose benefit. I'm stumped.
The Blind have lost their sense of "sight";
The Deaf have lost their sense of "hearing";
Republicans have lost their sense of "common".

#76 Rich T Bikkies

Trainee Basil Fawlty. Practising Victor Meldrew

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4358 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, UK

Posted 01 October 2017 - 02:02 PM

View PostRue Bella, on 01 October 2017 - 01:54 PM, said:

Let's just nuke the place and get it over with.

Go Trump!!

A non-like, obviously: irony apprehended and appreciated.
Reality is a hallucination caused by alcohol deprivation.

Only Satan can rebuke sin. The righteous don't know enough.

God is not dead. He was merely voted out of office.

You can do anything with anybody if you just save them the trouble of thinking.

#77 Rich T Bikkies

Trainee Basil Fawlty. Practising Victor Meldrew

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4358 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, UK

Posted 01 October 2017 - 02:22 PM

@drdredel: my guess is that he briefed Tillerson and then went off on one on Twitter. You just fell into the trap I'm always falling into: thinking that the pussy grabber has coherent trains of thought lasting longer than five seconds.
Reality is a hallucination caused by alcohol deprivation.

Only Satan can rebuke sin. The righteous don't know enough.

God is not dead. He was merely voted out of office.

You can do anything with anybody if you just save them the trouble of thinking.

#78 cmk

Chief Cook and Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 7540 posts
  • LocationBennington, VT, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Known Universe

Posted 01 October 2017 - 03:53 PM

I watch the price of gold. As long as that's going nowhere, so is any war with North Korea.

It's going nowhere.
Charles M. Kozierok - Administrator, TalkRadioSucks.com

"The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools." -- Herbert Spencer

"Atheism is a religion like abstinence is a sex position." -- Bill Maher

"Our new Government['s] foundations are laid, its cornerstone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery, subordination to the superior race, is his natural and moral condition." -- Alexander Stephens, Vice-President of the Confederacy

#79 JackD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1775 posts
  • LocationChicago area

Posted 01 October 2017 - 03:56 PM

Those who trade in gold are omniscient?

#80 drdredel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2419 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 05:25 PM

View Postcmk, on 01 October 2017 - 03:53 PM, said:

I watch the price of gold. As long as that's going nowhere, so is any war with North Korea.

It's going nowhere.

please elaborate. I'm unclear on what you mean.
The Blind have lost their sense of "sight";
The Deaf have lost their sense of "hearing";
Republicans have lost their sense of "common".

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users