#21 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5315 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 24 October 2017 - 02:54 PM

View PostLFC, on 24 October 2017 - 02:47 PM, said:

I can't say that I blame Flake, or Corker. Washington DC is a bad place to be if you're not Tea Party or Bannonite and have a little bit of a conscience. Still, this leaves us with the Bannon/Mercer candidates in the Republican primaries. Do the Democrats have anybody in TN or AZ?

#22 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10233 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 04:17 PM

Having gleefully helped to usher in the current regime, they find it usin’t to their liking.

I’m starting to think this IS the Revolution already started.
Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#23 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26325 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 24 October 2017 - 05:14 PM

I don't suspect Republicans are crazy about these numbers. Not that they'll change anything.

The Republican Party won the 2016 election, but since then it may have lost its fanbase.

Only half of Republican voters today think the GOP is doing a good job, while Democrats are more likely to be pleased with their own party, according to a Harvard-Harris Poll released Tuesday by The Hill.

The survey showed 53 percent of Republicans approving of their party, compared to 68 percent of Democrats.

The GOP fared even worse with general voters — only 29 percent of the 2,159 respondents approved of the party's performance. Thirty-nine percent of voters liked how the Democrats are doing.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell seemed to draw some of the sharpest scorn for the GOP. The Kentucky Republican, who was recently named the least popular senator in the country, received only 16 percent approval. More than half of Republicans told the Harvard-Harris pollsters they believed he should resign.

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#24 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5315 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 24 October 2017 - 05:45 PM

I'm wondering if this will open up some space for unknown Democrats in the states to make a hard run at the Bannon/Trumpite candidate that will win the Rep primaries in AZ and TN. The general elections might be close with some Ds winning the old guard Reps (unless they're all dead).

#25 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9050 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 24 October 2017 - 06:48 PM

Dunno 'bout Corker, but Flake was already looking vulnerable in AZ -- solid Democratic challenger (at least one) and a serious threat from a Palinesque whackjob on the right. Not that it's easy to get farther right than Flake anyway, he was at least coherent and appeared to be able to reason when necessary.

It may be a while before the pencil sharpeners get around to recalculating, but one thing for sure: Arizona is going to have two new senators before long.
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#26 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26325 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 25 October 2017 - 10:39 AM

View PostD. C. Sessions, on 24 October 2017 - 06:48 PM, said:

Dunno 'bout Corker, but Flake was already looking vulnerable in AZ -- solid Democratic challenger (at least one) and a serious threat from a Palinesque whackjob on the right. Not that it's easy to get farther right than Flake anyway, he was at least coherent and appeared to be able to reason when necessary.

When Jeff Flake says the party has descended too far into madness, you are way past the point of no return.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#27 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10233 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 10:47 AM

View PostLFC, on 25 October 2017 - 10:39 AM, said:

When Jeff Flake says the party has descended too far into madness, you are way past the point of no return.

Beyond the “Mountains of Madness”.

Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#28 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10233 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 10:50 AM

View PostLFC, on 25 October 2017 - 10:39 AM, said:

This is good - go MR. Perez!

http://www.lawyersgu...m/2017/10/flake

Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#29 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26325 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 26 October 2017 - 09:58 AM

Democrats are leading in fundraising. If a lot of this is small donation it could mean quite a bit. Wealthy people who are currently getting their pay-off from the Republican Congressmen they bought will surely pony up but that doesn't necessarily translate to votes.

Congressional Democrats are whipping their GOP counterparts in fundraising heading into the 2018 elections, a key sign that a wave election may be building.

In both the Senate and House, Democrats are pulling money hand-over-fist in many of their most important races, according to campaign finance reports recently filed with the Federal Election Commission. Many Republicans are struggling to keep up — including some key incumbents in both chambers.

That trend is causing heartburn for many Republicans, who worry their chances of losing the House are growing due to President Trump’s unpopularity and Republican voters’ frustration with their failure to pass major legislation.

“It’s a serious problem,” former National Republican Congressional Committee Chairman Tom Cole (R-OK) told TPM. “It’s a very rough cycle coming up. Nobody’s had a good off year since 2002 and anybody that thinks the majority is not at risk or that they can’t be beaten is kidding themselves.”

The chances they could lose the Senate too are looking less like an impossibility even though Democrats are defending many more vulnerable seats. Republican senators warn that they better get tax reform done to please their donors and base or face an even bleaker scenario following their failure to repeal Obamacare.

“There is a warning that comes from lack of fundraising success, and it indicates that your agenda or your lack of accomplishment is something people are deciding is a problem as they make a decision about contributing to a campaign,” former National Republican Senatorial Committee Chairman Jerry Moran (R-KS) told TPM. “The fact that the fundraising is what it is is certainly not a positive, but it doesn’t mean that it’s ultimately a problem. There’s time to recover from the circumstance of low numbers now.”

Nine of the 10 Democratic senators from states President Trump won raised more than $1 million in the last fundraising quarter, easily outpacing most of their rivals. All 10 have at least $3 million stashed away, and seven of them have more than $5 million cash on hand.

On the flip side, the few Senate Republicans who might face real challenges posted less-than impressive hauls. Sen. Dean Heller (R-NV) was out-raised by his likely Democratic opponent, Rep. Jacky Rosen (D-NV). Sen. Jeff Flake’s (R-AZ) decision to retire came after he was out-raised by Rep. Kyrsten Sinema (D-AZ), who begins the Arizona Senate race with a big cash advantage over any of her likely opponents with $4.2 million in the bank.

Senate GOP challengers also struggled with fundraising. Only two Senate Republican candidates raised even half as much as the Democratic senator they’re hoping to take out next fall — Rep. Luke Messer (R-IN) and West Virginia Attorney General Patrick Morrissey ®. Like many other Republican Senate candidates, they’ll have to spend much of that money to win primaries.

Democrats even raised more than their GOP opponents in long-shot races. Democrat Doug Jones brought in more and had more money in the bank than former Judge Roy Moore ® in Alabama ahead of their Dec. 12 special election, and Rep. Beto O’Rourke (D-TX) out-raised Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX), though Cruz still has much more cash on hand.

Democrats aren’t counting their chickens yet — but they admit things seem to be going their way.

“This has been an amazing year. I’ve never seen anything like it,” Sen. Claire McCaskill (D-MO), who raised $2.7 million and has $7.1 million in the bank, told TPM.

#30 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12812 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 26 October 2017 - 12:50 PM

Yeah, and we all saw how that fundraising edge worked for HRC. I would much prefer strong centrist leadership, instead of this drift to the Sanderites. Single payer, what effing good is that? Just alienates "independents" who are ripe for plucking otherwise.

Who is running the DNC? WTF is going on?
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."-- Winston Churchill
"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices" Voltaire

#31 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26325 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 27 October 2017 - 02:01 PM

Orrin Hatch may be retiring, possibly opening the way for Mitt Romney. I don't claim to understand Utah politics but will mainstreamish Mitt be able to win the primary over somebody more ... frothing? Will he win if the Mormon Church quietly backs him? According to this piece Trump is not popular among Utah Republicans. Interesting stuff.

Longtime Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-UT) is planning to retire, clearing the path for former GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney to run for his seat, according to The Atlantic‘s McKay Coppins, the best-sourced reporter on Mormon politicians.

Five sources told Coppins that that Hatch is telling allies he’s planning to retire at the end of his term next year.

Mitt Romney has quietly expressed interest in the seat if Hatch does retire, sources have told TPM, and a source close to Hatch’s office tells TPM that while the 83-year-old senator hasn’t made any final decisions he’s leaning towards leaving the Senate.

“He’s just gone back and forth and my guess is he’s going to retire,” TPM’s source said. “Some people on his staff have said that [he’s retiring] but a couple have said he’s going to run again. He’s trying to keep himself in the mix for now but he’s almost 84.”

That would be a sea change in Utah politics as well as in the Senate, where Hatch has served since the 1980s.

But recent polls have shown most Utahns want Hatch to retire — and even his allies concede he’s likely to face a tough primary challenger that won’t be as easy to dispatch as the one he defeated six years ago.

That could open the door to a Trump ally in a state where even most Republicans don’t like the president.

“A really strong primary challenger could beat him and he’s got to know that,” TPM’s source said.

If Romney runs, he’d likely be the strong favorite in a state where the Mormon church still holds immense sway over state politics. Romney has been fiercely critical of Trump, and could fill a void that’s being left by the retirement of fellow Trump critic (and Mormon) Sen. Jeff Flake (R-AZ) as well as Sen. Bob Corker (R-TN).

#32 HockeyDon

Mind blown...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3574 posts
  • LocationNew Britain, CT

Posted 27 October 2017 - 02:32 PM

So that's how Rmoney becomes President!

Remember that article by someone with "inside knowledge" of the Russia investigation claiming it was going to bury enough people that it would leave a President Hatch in it's wake?
Well, fuck.

How can I be expected to distinguish BS from reality when so much of my reality is utter BS?!

"There seems to be a lot of people dying of ignorance while living in the information age." my sister-in-law.

#33 baw1064

formerly of the public sector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4614 posts
  • LocationEarthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanos--oh my!

Posted 27 October 2017 - 03:28 PM

View PostLFC, on 27 October 2017 - 02:01 PM, said:

Orrin Hatch may be retiring, possibly opening the way for Mitt Romney. I don't claim to understand Utah politics but will mainstreamish Mitt be able to win the primary over somebody more ... frothing? Will he win if the Mormon Church quietly backs him? According to this piece Trump is not popular among Utah Republicans. Interesting stuff.
I was actually thinking of starting a thread on a related topic.

Rather than Romney winning the nomination, might a plausible outcome be Mormons largely splitting off from the Republican Party? If it truly is now the party of Trump and his followers, there's a huge cultural disconnect between Utah and other Republican strongholds--as evidenced by the recent saga of Flake. Utahns don't like Trump, Republicans nationwide didn't like Huntsman at all and only ended up nominating Romney due to the lack of a viable alternative.

Heck, would Romney even have to run as a Republican to get elected to the Senate? I think not.
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” --Dr. Seuss

#34 Bact PhD

Frustrated, Thoughtful Independent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1671 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 27 October 2017 - 03:53 PM

View Postbaw1064, on 27 October 2017 - 03:28 PM, said:

I was actually thinking of starting a thread on a related topic.

Rather than Romney winning the nomination, might a plausible outcome be Mormons largely splitting off from the Republican Party? If it truly is now the party of Trump and his followers, there's a huge cultural disconnect between Utah and other Republican strongholds--as evidenced by the recent saga of Flake. Utahns don't like Trump, Republicans nationwide didn't like Huntsman at all and only ended up nominating Romney due to the lack of a viable alternative.

Heck, would Romney even have to run as a Republican to get elected to the Senate? I think not.

Re the possibility of Mormons breaking off from the GOP, I wouldn't hold my breath. There is still more common ground than not on social issues (think abortion, SSM). The crux of the argument is whether/for how long Mormons as a bloc continue to suck it up for the sake of those issues, versus declaring full-on Trumpism a bridge too far.
Politics these days is show business. Elections are Dancing with the Stars with consequences. ~Rue Bella

(About fame) Living for likes, shares and follows is a form of validation. The question is whether it is also the source of our self esteem. If it is, we’re screwed. And, culturally, it seems as if it’s become more and more our shared value. ... Meringue is no longer a sweet and pretty topping but the body itself. ~Charles Perez

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." --Thomas Jefferson to Charles Yancey, 1816. ME 14:384, via LFC, 12/1/2016

Competent people go in one of a few directions. But incompetence is infinite. ~David Brooks, NY Times

#35 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12579 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 04:17 PM

View PostLFC, on 27 October 2017 - 02:01 PM, said:

I was going to post about this, too. http://nymag.com/dai...un-in-utah.html

Since Utah will never go blue and that Romney and many of his constituents would not readily toe the line for tRump it would be the next best thing, even if not ideal.
Pray for Trump: Psalm 109:8

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#36 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26325 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 27 October 2017 - 04:26 PM

View PostAnBr, on 27 October 2017 - 04:17 PM, said:

Since Utah will never go blue and that Romney and many of his constituents would not readily toe the line for tRump it would be the next best thing, even if not ideal.

I'm not so sure. What do the mainstream Republicans do to hold back Trump's worst instincts? Healthcare? A handful stopped a full on train wreck. I have no illusions that Romney would have been one of them. Taxes? Most of them are all in. Actually there are a handful of Tea Party types actually pissed off about increasing the deficit so on one narrow topic they're less insane than the establishment. Military spending? They're all in on that one. Deregulation? Ditto. Cutting aid for the poor? Most are in, at least in spirit, but some are still afraid of their voters. Attacking Planned Parenthood? Trying to block the Russian investigation? Screaming irresponsibly about the Iran deal? All mainstream Republican positions.

All in all I don't see an establishment type Republican being much better at all than a die-hard Trumpy.

#37 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12579 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 04:36 PM

View PostLFC, on 27 October 2017 - 04:26 PM, said:

Trying to block the Russian investigation?

Remember that Romney said that he thought that Russia would become our biggest geopolitical adversary and was laughed at for it. Otherwise many of your other points are probably so. I'm just not so sure that it a given as to foreign affairs.

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

#38 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12579 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 08:41 PM

To win in 2018, Democrats must resist moving further left

Senators Bob Corker (R-Tenn.) and Jeff Flake's (R-Ariz.) surprise retirements and their decision to forcefully speak out against Donald Trump’s behavior have created an unprecedented and unexpected opportunity for Democrats across the country.

Independent and moderate Republican voters are becoming increasingly dissatisfied, to put it mildly, with Donald Trump and the sycophantic Republicans who are molding the party in his image. Make no mistake; the GOP is becoming the party of Trump and all the conspiracy theories, nativism and racial divisiveness that come along with him. The party has become a glorified comment section and it seems to be getting worse by the day.

But that doesn't mean the state of the Democratic Party is much better.

— Carl Sagan

— H.L. Mencken

#39 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26325 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 31 October 2017 - 09:01 AM

View PostAnBr, on 27 October 2017 - 04:36 PM, said:

Remember that Romney said that he thought that Russia would become our biggest geopolitical adversary and was laughed at for it.

Inside information? ;)

#40 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9050 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 31 October 2017 - 09:18 AM

View PostAnBr, on 30 October 2017 - 08:41 PM, said:

This assumes that the supposedly moderate Republicans are not voting for Democrats already because Democratic policies are too far left.

That hypothesis runs smack into the polling data, which shows that policies well left of the current Democratic platform poll net favorably even among self-identified Republicans. Racing after the right end of the Overton window, time and again, does nothing to buy Republican votes and loses left-Democratic turnout. The discovery that, given low American voter turnout, you are better off pumping turnout of your own voters rather than trying to flip the supposed center is possibly the greatest strategic invention of the modern Republican Party.

Yet Democrats refuse to learn from it.
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users