#1461 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9525 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 10 March 2019 - 09:37 AM

View PostPractical Girl, on 10 March 2019 - 08:41 AM, said:

Don't know that he will. Don't even know that he should.

Despite the current fashion for people who have little or none in the way of experience with running large organizations which have complex governing constraints (naming no names, mind) perhaps it would be better for Beto to check a few more boxes on his CV. Governor of Texas is fairly traditional, for instance. Maybe a Cabinet office or two.

Personally, I'm dreaming of Tammy Duckworth. If the Republicans aren't afraid of her, they certainly should be.
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#1462 Practical Girl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8114 posts
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 10 March 2019 - 10:03 AM

Hey- this has nothing to do with Duckworth's (possible) chops, nor Beto. But sorry- if you're going to swing the experience club, she's out. Barely been there. She was a Rep for 4 years, a Senator for less than a year and a half. While she's been in "some rooms", she simply doesn't have it. And I think she knows it.
Every woman needs a blowtorch.
---Julia Child

--- On September 17, 1787, as Benjamin Franklin was leaving the deliberations of the Constitutional Convention, at Independence Hall, in Philadelphia, a woman called out to him, saying, “Well, Doctor, what have we got, a republic or a monarchy?”
“A republic,” Franklin said, “if you can keep it.”

--- LFC, on Gorsuch ruling: "Awesome. A Christianist who swore an oath to uphold the laws of the nation and bore false witness when he did it"

--- "Write hard and clear about what hurts"
Ernest Hemingway

#1463 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13032 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 10:31 AM

View PostPractical Girl, on 10 March 2019 - 10:03 AM, said:

Hey- this has nothing to do with Duckworth's (possible) chops, nor Beto. But sorry- if you're going to swing the experience club, she's out. Barely been there. She was a Rep for 4 years, a Senator for less than a year and a half. While she's been in "some rooms", she simply doesn't have it. And I think she knows it.

And she hasn't given any indications that she is thinking about it. She's smart enough to know that if she really wants it her chances would be greatly increased by "building her resume" first.
Pray for Trump: Psalm 109:8

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#1464 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9525 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 10 March 2019 - 10:39 AM

Don't overlook her executive-branch experience. Not huge, but it does count.

However, we're in agreement that timing matters too, and ... baby. Mmmmm, baby.
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users