715 replies to this topic

#701 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21764 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 09 May 2018 - 03:43 PM

This is what passes for a "serious candidate" in the GOP these days. This guy is running a strong race for a House seat nomination so far.

a Right-wing Idaho candidate promised voters he would rant like conspiracy theorist Alex Jones to become the most hated member of Congress.

Michael Snyder, who writes about the apocalypse and God’s wrathful judgment, appeared Monday on Jones’ InfoWars program to promote his campaign for the House seat being vacated by Rep. Raul Labrador, who is running for governor, reported Right Wing Watch.

“If I go to Congress, we very well understand I’m going to be the most hated member of Congress in all of Washington, D.C.,” Snyder said.

Jones relished the thought of the right-wing conspiratorial views they both hold being promoted by a Republican lawmaker.

“Instead of just educating folks in Idaho by running, and you are in a close second place in a seven-way race, but if you get there, imagine you up there on C-SPAN, on national TV, everywhere, going through the New World Order, going through the TPP, going through the Department of Education,” Jones bellowed. “It would really be a good thing.”

Snyder promised he would copy Jones’ antics if elected.

“Oh, and I’ll go right to the floor of the House of Representatives and I’ll start ranting like Alex Jones, you guys know me, right from the floor of the House of Representatives,” Snyder said. “So if you want to see that, we have this opportunity to defeat the globalists one seat a time.”

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#702 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4512 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 09 May 2018 - 04:52 PM

View PostLFC, on 09 May 2018 - 03:43 PM, said:

This is what passes for a "serious candidate" in the GOP these days. This guy is running a strong race for a House seat nomination so far.

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice..." "Death to the globalists!" is probably coming soon as the next catch phrase when even these people will see MAGA is empty of meaning. These folks don't want to make anything. Destruction is the goal.

#703 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21764 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 09 May 2018 - 05:07 PM

View Postgolden_valley, on 09 May 2018 - 04:52 PM, said:

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice..." "Death to the globalists!" is probably coming soon as the next catch phrase when even these people will see MAGA is empty of meaning. These folks don't want to make anything. Destruction is the goal.

They somehow seem to believe that once they've destroyed everything then something wonderful will magically sprout up in its place. They don't know what it is, how it would function, or who would make it work once they've driven all the people out who actually know shit but it will be GLORIOUS!
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#704 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11287 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 08:15 PM

View PostTraveler, on 09 May 2018 - 09:46 AM, said:

I was going to post about this. Of course it won't help with the next election, but maybe I can have a Dem for a Rep again before too long. I live in a very, very blue city, but have been locked into a Repug rep since 2010.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#705 Rue Bella

Emerging from a state of cryogenic denial

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7478 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 09 May 2018 - 08:17 PM

View PostLFC, on 09 May 2018 - 03:43 PM, said:

Who thought we'd look back and think that lady witch who ran was better than what we see today.

Nah...

Crazy people running for office. The right's version of #MeToo.
What is wrong with these people? ~ PG

No longer politically correct

#706 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21764 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 10 May 2018 - 12:20 PM

Another stupid ad brought to you by the unapologetic idiot who things ignoring basic gun safety on video is a hoot! And he probably wonders why liberals want to take away his guns. It's because YOU CAN'T BE TRUSTED WITH ONE you friggin' moron.

The internet fervor over Georgia Secretary of State Brian Kemp’s last campaign ad hadn’t even had a chance to die down before his release of a new one Wednesday.

Kemp, a perpetually scowling Republican candidate for governor, most recently made news for pointing a shotgun at a teenager to make a point about … something.

Kemp appears to relish the free media coverage. “It’s driving the liberal media crazy,” he told Fox News earlier this month, adding: “People, they love that.”

“I’ve got a big truck, just in case I need to round up criminal illegals and take them home myself,” Kemp says in his latest ad, slamming the door on a downright compensatory Ford F350. “Yep, I just said that.”

The Hill on Thursday noted a poll late last month showing Kemp trailing in the Republican gubernatorial primary.

But Kemp has made a serious and well-financed effort to appeal to Georgia’s Trump voters, aping Trump’s rhetoric (“Georgia First”) and saying that “Trump is right” about deporting undocumented immigrants.

#707 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7796 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 10 May 2018 - 12:30 PM

View PostRue Bella, on 09 May 2018 - 08:17 PM, said:

Who thought we'd look back and think that lady witch who ran was better than what we see today.

A lot of us have thought Hillary was better than the alternatives for long time.
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#708 andydp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2961 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY near Albany

Posted 10 May 2018 - 03:49 PM

View PostRue Bella, on 09 May 2018 - 08:17 PM, said:

Who thought we'd look back and think that lady witch who ran was better than what we see today

You mean the anti masturbation Wiccan candidate ?

Whatever happened to her campaign finance problem ?
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.

Rev Martin Luther King Jr.

Obamacare took my guns away and put me in a FEMA reeducation camp.

Anonymous

#709 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21764 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 10 May 2018 - 04:58 PM

This is interesting. The FEC approved a candidate's use of campaign funds for child care while she runs for office. For all the crap and luxuries that campaign funds end up covering it's nice to read about something that actually makes sense.

The Federal Election Commission decided unanimously on Thursday to allow a Democratic congressional candidate from New York to spend campaign funds on childcare.

The decision came after testimony Thursday from Liuba Grechen Shirley, who is seeking the Democratic nomination to face off against sitting Rep. Pete King (R-NY) in November. According to FEC Vice Chair Ellen Weintraub, Grechen Shirley’s request received letters of support from 26 members of Congress and former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, among others.

“It’ll change the way that people run for office,” Grechen Shirley said on a video posted to her campaign Facebook page at the start of a thoroughly-documented trip to the FEC in Washington, D.C. to advocate for her position.

Grechen Shirley, who has two small children, wrote in her request for an advisory opinion last month that before deciding to run for Congress, she worked from home and cared for her and her husband’s children full time.

#710 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21764 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 14 May 2018 - 11:12 AM

The Democrats are attempting to address the risks of the California "jungle primary".

National Democrats are making a last-minute push to avoid catastrophe in California, where the state’s unusual jungle primary system could leave them without general election candidates in a number of districts they’re banking on to seize control of the House.

The Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee and a number of elected officials from the state are rushing in to try to lift some Democrats over others and knock back second-tier Republicans, risking backlash and second-guessing in an effort to avoid getting locked out of winnable districts.

California’s top-two all-party primary system means that whatever two candidates win the most votes on June 5 will get to square off in the general election, regardless of what party they belong to. That, and a surge in the number of viable Democratic candidates compared to past years, has Democrats worried that their challengers could split the vote and let Republicans lock them out in five different districts they hope to contest this fall, most of them centered in fast-diversifying Orange County.

Their biggest worries are the open seats held by retiring Reps. Darrell Issa (R-CA) and Ed Royce (R-CA), as well as against Rep. Dana Rohrabacher (R-CA), a weak GOP incumbent facing real competition from another Republican who could slip through. They’re also keeping an eye on the races against Reps. Duncan D. Hunter (R-CA) and Jeff Denham (R-CA), though there’s less concern about those contests.

“The DCCC needs to do whatever it can to make sure that we are not boxed out in November,” DCCC Vice Chairman Ted Lieu (D-CA) told TPM.

#711 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7796 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 12:14 PM

This is what happens when you let the Legislature pick the candidates, however they do it. It's about time that the parties started running their own primaries.

Mind, that doesn't mean having the Leadership hand-pick them. It just means that sending out ballots to members to be returned by mail is cheaper than the assorted candidate mailings I'm getting and processing them is also cheap. No excuse for not doing it that way.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#712 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4512 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 14 May 2018 - 12:51 PM

The districts these CA candidates are running in were drawn by the citizens redistricting commission. It's just that Orange County has been a Republican stronghold for generations, as has the San Diego area. In CA Republican party members are tightly clustered geographically within the inland rural counties and the 2 coastal counties I just mentioned. They just live there. Orange County is changing but younger and certain ethnic groups aren't voting in large numbers yet. It takes a while to develop the voting muscle in people who have never participated in it.

#713 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21764 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 15 May 2018 - 10:09 AM

TPM has a guide to today's primary races. Here in PA the redistricting anti-gerrymandering pushed my Rep., Brian Fitzpatrick (R-PA), into another district so I have no incumbent for my newly redrawn district. Interesting stuff. I hope the Dems end up with strong candidates and the Repubs end up with all the whackadoodles that represent their base.

House Democrats are girding themselves for a crucial stretch of primaries beginning Tuesday that could make or break their chances at a majority — and have party strategists worried they could blow some big opportunities.

Key battles in Pennsylvania and Nebraska, as well as contests in Oregon and Idaho, will get decided this week that could dramatically alter the contours of the House map. They’ll be followed in quick succession by elections in 20 other states over the coming month that will pit a number of establishment-favored Democrats against upstart challengers, with key races from California to Texas to Maine.

The biggest House contests on Tuesday come in suburban territory crucial to Democrats’ chances at retaking the House. Democrats will pick their nominees to face Rep. Brian Fitzpatrick (R-PA) and for another open seat near Philadelphia in Pennsylvania’s newly redrawn congressional map, and decide whether to give former Rep. Brad Ashford (D-NE) the right to a rematch after he lost a close election to Rep. Don Bacon (R-NE) in 2016.

#714 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11287 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 10:04 PM

The GOP’s Never-Trumpers Are Really Just Never-Democrats
"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#715 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21764 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:11 AM

View PostAnBr, on 15 May 2018 - 10:04 PM, said:

David "don't believe what Romney says, just vote for him" Frum was Exhibit A. David Brooks is not only dug in deeper but now whines that it's up to everybody outside of the party to fix it (see my bold). WTF?

David Brooks, the New York Times op-ed page’s long-standing ambassador from the center-right, recently wrote a self-flagellatory column about the failure of anti-Trump Republicans to influence their own tribe. It was remarkable not for what it said but for what it didn’t. After lingering over the grim evidence — President Trump’s approval rating still hovers in the low 40s, and, more important, he commands the near unanimous support of the Republican base — Brooks concluded, “A lot of us never-Trumpers assumed momentum would be on our side as his scandals and incompetences mounted. It hasn’t turned out that way.”

What implications might be drawn from the implacable support of the party base for the manifestly incompetent, scandal-ridden party leader? One might entertain the conclusion that no combination of facts and logic can dislodge the Republican base from its tribal loyalties. This interpretation could be supported by such evidence as the fondness of Republicans for birtherism, their distrust of climate science, and so on. Perhaps the Republican base as currently constituted is hopelessly immune to reason and a reasonable person such as Brooks should instead refocus his political energies on curtailing its political power.

But Brooks’s column did not come to that conclusion. Indeed, amazingly enough, he did not even consider the option. Instead, he suggested that critics of Trump must try harder and somehow do a better job of persuading Republicans to stop loving Trump so much. The idea of abandoning the Republican Party because it is authoritarian and toxically anti-intellectual was apparently as unfathomable to him as a fish in a polluted river deciding to live on land.

And from Brooks's NY Times piece we have these whines. He proves he's pure Republican by never admitting that the problem is almost purely within the party. He can't really bear to admit the role of the multi-billion dollar right-wing noise machine. He can't bear to admit that nothing gets through to people who have been primed and groomed by right-wing outlets and politicians to be the victims and hate all things they're told to hate, especially "libruls". He doesn't even attempt to explain the widespread, vicious, baseless attacks from the right on the Obamas that these poor people couldn't get enough of. And he sure as hell can't bear to admit his own complicity. As I said, textbook Republican.

Democratic anti-Trumpers had better hope they win in 2020, because their attacks have only served to entrench Trumpism on the right.

Part of the problem is that anti-Trumpism has a tendency to be insufferably condescending. For example, my colleague Thomas B. Edsall beautifully summarized the recent academic analyses of what personality traits supposedly determine Trump support.

Trump opponents, the academics say, are open-minded and value independence and novelty. Trump supporters, they continue, are closed-minded, change-averse and desperate for security.

This analysis strikes me as psychologically wrong (every human being requires both a secure base and an open field — we can’t be divided into opposing camps), journalistically wrong (Trump supporters voted for the man precisely because they wanted transformational change) and an epic attempt to offend 40 percent of our fellow citizens by reducing them to psychological inferiors.

And to put a ribbon on his own tribalism he repeats a lot of the same tropes that have been disproven by studying and speaking with actual Trump voters.

The main reason Trump won the presidency is that tens of millions of Americans rightly feel that their local economies are under attack, their communities are dissolving and their religious liberties are under threat. Trump understood the problems of large parts of America better than anyone else. He has been able to strengthen his grip on power over the past year because he has governed as he campaigned.

White privilege really is a major factor in Trump support. The "local economies are under attack" by ... Republican governors and state legislatures! (See Kansas, Oklahoma, Kentucky, etc.) There is a strong tendency for them to embrace authoritarianism, as long as it's their authoritarian. Their communities are dissolving because of Republican policies and a condescending view of education and expertise which makes where they live undesirable for businesses. And religious liberties under threat? How, by not letting them discriminate however they wish? Are you f***ing kidding me? Brooks is supposed to be a thoughtful conservative but he's just another right-wing victim. The fault for the current state of his party of course lies with the left. It's not possible it's a train wreck almost entirely of their own making.

#716 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7796 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:23 AM

It's Murc's Law.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users