• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6854 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 12 August 2017 - 12:05 PM

This picture really says it all:

Posted Image
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
The purpose of "defense spending" isn't "defense," it's "spending."
Our Party! In her relations with other Americans may she always be in the right; but Our Party, right or wrong!

#2 indy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8356 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 12:15 PM

Is this from Charlottesville? It seems the city was unprepared for the perfectly predictable events this morning.

#3 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6854 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 01:00 PM

Charlottesville.
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
Our Party! In her relations with other Americans may she always be in the right; but Our Party, right or wrong!

#4 Art_Vandelay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  • Location"Somewhere in Middle America"

Posted 12 August 2017 - 02:38 PM

David Duke: Charlottesville Rally ‘Fulfills The Promises Of Donald Trump’

During a white nationalist rally in Charlottesville, Va. on Saturday, former Ku Klux Klan leader David Duke said the event is in line with President Trump’s “promises.

“This represents a turning point for the people of this country. We are determined to take our country back,” Duke said. “We are going to fulfill the promises of Donald Trump. That’s what we believed in. That’s why we voted for Donald Trump, because he said he’s going to take our country back.”

#5 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17743 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 12 August 2017 - 02:44 PM

March of the Morons.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"Didn't vote for Hillary Clinton? Then you own [insert horrible act here]."

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

#6 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6854 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 03:20 PM

And now at least one person has died from the vehicular attempted mass murder.

#7 Rue Bella

Emerging from a state of cryogenic denial

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7310 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 12 August 2017 - 04:29 PM

https://www.washingt...m=.55417975fbc5

bold mine

Elected leaders in Virginia and elsewhere urged peace, blasting the white supremacist views on display in Charlottesville as ugly. U.S. House Speaker Paul D. Ryan (R-Wis.) called their display “repugnant.”

But President Trump, known for the rapid-fire tweets, remained silent throughout the morning. It was after 1 p.m. when he weighed in, writing on Twitter: “We ALL must be united & condemn all that hate stands for. There is no place for this kind of violence in America. Lets come together as one!”

At a late-afternoon news conference to discuss veterans’ health care, Trump said that he was following the events in Charlottesville closely. “The hate and the division must stop and must stop right now,” Trump said, without specifically mentioning white nationalists or their views. “We condemn in the strongest possible terms this egregious display of hatred, bigotry, and violence on many sides. On many sides,” he said.

Former Ku Klux Klan leader David Duke, a Trump supporter who was in Charlottesville Saturday, quickly shot back at the president. “So, after decades of White Americans being targeted for discriminated & anti-White hatred, we come together as a people, and you attack us?” Duke tweeted. “I would recommend you take a good look in the mirror & remember it was White Americans who put you in the presidency, not radical leftists.”

Dozens of the white nationalists in Charlottesville were wearing red Make America Great Again hats. Asked by a reporter in New Jersey whether he wanted the support of white nationalists, Trump did not respond.

What is wrong with these people? ~ PG

No longer politically correct

#8 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3788 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 12 August 2017 - 04:32 PM

Quite an interesting tweet from Duke. Is he expecting Trump to return the favor?

#9 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6854 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 04:56 PM

Orrin fucking Hatch:

We should call evil by its name. My brother didn't give his life fighting Hitler for Nazi ideas to go unchallenged here at home.

#10 baw1064

formerly of the public sector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3597 posts
  • LocationEarthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanos--oh my!

Posted 12 August 2017 - 06:01 PM

Officials say the deaths of two people in a helicopter crash near Charlottesville, Virginia have been linked to a violent white nationalist rally earlier in the day.

https://www.bloomber...tionalist-rally
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” --Dr. Seuss

#11 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10266 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 06:14 PM

View PostD. C. Sessions, on 12 August 2017 - 04:56 PM, said:

Orrin fucking Hatch:

And he could not predict the eventual outcome the GOP pandering to racism and outrage? All he needs to do to see one of the guilty party is to look in a mirror.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

#12 Sinan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2669 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 12 August 2017 - 06:59 PM

Trump has unleashed the Kraken. Let us hope we all have Godzilla on our side because this is going to get a lot nastier before we purge ourselves of this hatred.
"anyone who believes exponential growth can go on forever in a finite world is either a madman or an economist."
Kenneth Boulding

"A person who reads books lives a thousand lives. A person who never reads lives only one"
George Martin

"Is that a real poncho or a Sears poncho?"
Zappa

"and let not mankind bogart love"

Willie Nelson and Colbert

#13 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6854 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 07:04 PM

Our "flaming hypocrite of the day" award goes to Jefferson Beauregard Sessions for his statement:

This kind of violence is totally contrary to American values and can never be tolerated

Funny how just a few days ago his boss was advocating breaking heads and our "Attorney General" had more important things -- like voter suppression -- to worry about. I'm sure that if he'd been in Charlottesville he could have stopped all of the violence by turning National Guard troops, dogs, and fire hoses on the antifa demonstrators.

#14 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10266 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 07:28 PM

From Charlottesville.

Posted Image
"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan

#15 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17743 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 12 August 2017 - 07:34 PM

This is white terrorism, plain and simple. Let's call it what it is, folks.

A car plowed into a crowd of people peacefully protesting a white nationalist rally Saturday in a Virginia college town, killing one person, hurting at least two dozen more and ratcheting up tension in an increasingly violent confrontation.

Matt Korbon, a 22-year-old University of Virginia student, said several hundred counter-protesters were marching when “suddenly there was just this tire screeching sound.” A silver Dodge Challenger smashed into another car, then backed up, barreling through “a sea of people.”

The impact hurled people into the air. Those left standing scattered, screaming and running for safety in different directions.

The driver was later arrested, authorities said.

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"Didn't vote for Hillary Clinton? Then you own [insert horrible act here]."

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

#16 baw1064

formerly of the public sector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3597 posts
  • LocationEarthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanos--oh my!

Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:01 PM

Let me add a little context, since I lived in Virginia until a couple years ago. Virginia is nominally part of the South, but in recent years is a bluish-purple state (the congressional delegation is mostly Republican, but the Republicans haven't won a statewide race (for President, Senator, Governor) since 2009, and not consistently since 2004. Charlottesville in particular is a college town (U. Va.) and has always voted quite a bit bluer than the state as a whole, overwhelmingly so in recent years. So I think it's safe to say the locals were not impressed with the white supremacist fascists who showed up this weekend. The WSFs, of course, still want to claim Virginia, since Richmond was the Capital of the Confederacy. But that ship has sailed.
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” --Dr. Seuss

#17 gmat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3041 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:28 PM

View Postindy, on 12 August 2017 - 12:15 PM, said:

Is this from Charlottesville? It seems the city was unprepared for the perfectly predictable events this morning.

Why do you say that? The nazis showed up, the counterprotestors showed up, a few fights broke out, the cops shut the rally down at 11:30 am (before it officially started, the permit was 12-5)

Everybody knew what was going to happen, but you can't declare an unlawful assembly until violence is imminent or has already happened.

The city tried to change the venue to a bigger park, but the federal court blocked that change.

#18 Rue Bella

Emerging from a state of cryogenic denial

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7310 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:22 PM

http://www.weny.com/...ar-old-ohio-man

The suspect being held in a Virginia jail in connection with a deadly crash near a scheduled rally of white nationalists has been identified as James Alex Fields Jr., 20, of Maumee, Ohio, according to Superintendent Martin Kumer with the Albermarle-Charlottesville County Regional Jail .

Fields is being held on suspicion of second-degree murder, malicious wounding and failure to stop in an accident that resulted in death.

One person died and 19 were injured Saturday when a car rammed a crowd of counterprotesters gathered to oppose a "Unite the Right" rally of white nationalist and other right-wing groups.

Photo from Google Images:

Posted Image
What is wrong with these people? ~ PG

No longer politically correct

#19 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10266 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 10:47 PM

https://www.facebook...424864180882314

Jim Wright said:

Charlottesville Open Discussion

I keep trying to get to a point in this insanity where I can write a piece, but it's all going sideways

So, instead, some observations:

- Fuck racist terrorists. This isn't free speech. You don't bring guns, clubs, torches, and shields to peaceful demonstration. This is terrorism. These people are terrorists. A car just plowed into a crowd of anti-racist protesters. I've watched the video. It was deliberate. It was attempted murder. This is terrorism and should be called such. So far as a I know, the terrorists have not been caught yet. Fuck those cowards.

- Fuck the Confederacy. Every symbol of the Confederacy, every monument, every flag, every statue, should be pulled down, uprooted, smashed into rubble, and burned. Fuck Robert E. Lee, he was a traitor, pull down his statue, melt it down, recast it into urinals. Piss on the Confederacy.

- Fuck Nazis. I don't want to hear any social justice warrior bullshit about not confronting these racist shitbags with violence if necessary. They get punched in the head, they take a lead pipe over the skull, well it just plain sucks to be a Nazi. I'm not going to sugar coat that for you. Nazis are Nazis, they deserve nothing but a boot in their yellow teeth and punch in the throat. They're getting off easy. Our grandfathers hunted Nazis down and EXTERMINATED them and it's to our everlasting shame that we let this cancer regrow in our midst. Fuck Nazis.

- Fuck Trump. Trump owns this. Republicans own this. This isn't the Alt-Right, this IS the right. These sons of bitches are literally shouting "Sieg Trump" in the streets of Charlottesville right now. Fuck Trump.

These people are the vile residue, the foul distillation, of every failed hateful rotten-tooth inbred ideology in history. Don't let them hide. Don't make excuses for them. Get them out in the open. Make them own it. They have jobs -- some of them. They have parents and kids and neighbors. They have churches. The Constitution gives them a right to their hate, but not a right to be free of the consequences. Publish their pictures. Publish their license plates. Get them out in the open. Pull their hoods off. They're standing out there shouting hate, flying the flag of treason, their arms upraised in the Hitler salute. Make them own it. Make them infamous. Don't let them hide.

— Carl Sagan

#20 indy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8356 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 06:06 AM

gmat, on 12 August 2017 - 08:28 PM, said:

Why do you say that? The nazis showed up, the counterprotestors showed up, a few fights broke out, the cops shut the rally down at 11:30 am (before it officially started, the permit was 12-5)

Everybody knew what was going to happen, but you can't declare an unlawful assembly until violence is imminent or has already happened.

The city tried to change the venue to a bigger park, but the federal court blocked that change.

It means it didn't look to me there was enough of a police presence to keep things from escalating out of control. The role of the government here is not to largely stand around until enough people beat each other senseless and then cancel the whole thing. That's not success, that's failure. The goal of the government ought to be doing whatever they can to ensure that all parties are allowed to freely exercise their rights, including the nazis. Now, of course that's not always possible, and maybe this was one of those cases, but first I want to see at least the old college try. I didn't see that here.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users