#1 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17743 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 11 August 2017 - 05:09 PM

Here's the quote of the story (bold mine):

Researchers said the brand of the fruitcake is Huntley & Palmers. They found it inside an iron tin and wrapped in paper. "The cake itself looked and smelled (almost) edible" and was in "excellent condition," the researchers claimed.

Sooooo it was just like brand new fruitcake then, right?
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"Didn't vote for Hillary Clinton? Then you own [insert horrible act here]."

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

#2 Rich T Bikkies

Trainee Basil Fawlty. Practising Victor Meldrew

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3211 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, UK

Posted 11 August 2017 - 05:31 PM

71-year Old Fruitcake[1] Found In 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

[1] Orange
Reality is a hallucination caused by alcohol deprivation.

Only Satan can rebuke sin. The righteous don't know enough.

God is not dead. He was merely voted out of office.

You can do anything with anybody if you just save them the trouble of thinking.

#3 andydp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2566 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY near Albany

Posted 11 August 2017 - 06:22 PM

View PostLFC, on 11 August 2017 - 05:09 PM, said:

Here's the quote of the story (bold mine):
Sooooo it was just like brand new fruitcake then, right?

You can buy a new cake from the same company today

https://www.huntleya...stmas-cake.html
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.

Rev Martin Luther King Jr.

Obamacare took my guns away and put me in a FEMA reeducation camp.

Anonymous

#4 indy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8356 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 06:23 PM

Probably made the same year too.

#5 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17743 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:29 AM

View Postindy, on 11 August 2017 - 06:23 PM, said:

Probably made the same year too.

No, made just last week. Not that it makes a difference. I believe fruitcake is in the same "food" group (using the word "food" loosely) as marshmallow peeps.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

#6 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3788 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 12 August 2017 - 11:31 AM

Not all fruitcake is horrible 100 year old stuff. My mom and her friends used to pass around a starter for a "friendship" cake that was basically fermented fruit. The resulting cake was moist, not brick-like. I imagine Epicurious or some similar site has a recipe for it.

#7 nuser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 953 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 12:03 PM

Please note ; my comment was not intended to insult anyone
Nutty as a fruitcake was the term in my day and never inferred
a gender. So Sorry.

#8 Rue Bella

Emerging from a state of cryogenic denial

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7310 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 12 August 2017 - 04:46 PM

View Postgolden_valley, on 12 August 2017 - 11:31 AM, said:

Not all fruitcake is horrible 100 year old stuff. My mom and her friends used to pass around a starter for a "friendship" cake that was basically fermented fruit. The resulting cake was moist, not brick-like. I imagine Epicurious or some similar site has a recipe for it.

The thing that makes too many fruitcakes taste horrible is that fake, cubed, candied fruit too many people feel obligated to use. Fruitcake made only with natural dried fruits and nuts can be quite good.
What is wrong with these people? ~ PG

No longer politically correct

#9 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10266 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 05:53 PM

View PostRue Bella, on 12 August 2017 - 04:46 PM, said:

The thing that makes too many fruitcakes taste horrible is that fake, cubed, candied fruit too many people feel obligated to use. Fruitcake made only with natural dried fruits and nuts can be quite good.

This. Fruitcake can be wonderful and luscious if done right. There are, as all of know, some inedible, dry, hard bricks pretending to be Fruitcake.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

#10 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17743 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 12 August 2017 - 07:29 PM

View Postnuser, on 12 August 2017 - 12:03 PM, said:

Please note ; my comment was not intended to insult anyone
Nutty as a fruitcake was the term in my day and never inferred
a gender. So Sorry.

The show Two and a Half Men had a great line once; "He's as nutty as rat crap in a pistachio factory."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users