Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13547 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 09 November 2017 - 05:38 PM

View Postindy, on 09 November 2017 - 03:17 PM, said:

From the story:
Thanks, tend to skim longer stories that dive so far. Sorry I have to bug you to keep me honest.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."-- Winston Churchill
"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices" Voltaire

#82 Gray Area

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 06:47 PM

Pick One, GOP: Roy Moore or Your Principles

No tax cut fantasy can justify supporting Roy Moore now.

I couldn’t help but snicker when I read that line.

One would think that predatory sexual behavior around children should turn any candidate toxic to any voting bloc, especially a voting bloc that contains religious conservatives—the Jesus party, the Ned Flanders party, the family board game night party, the life valuers and freedom-cherishers who brandish their Constitutions as though they were written with the same divine inspiration as their Bibles party. But Donald Trump’s election showed that the party of the moral majority’s morals are slippery when it comes to somebody who they believe might enact their agenda.

Truer words …

Anyway, here’s the link: https://www.thedaily...your-principles

#83 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10233 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 07:18 PM

View PostGray Area, on 09 November 2017 - 06:47 PM, said:

Pick One, GOP: Roy Moore or Your Principles

I couldn’t help but snicker when I read that line.

Truer words …

Anyway, here’s the link: https://www.thedaily...your-principles

They have had their principles in a blind trust for a long time.
Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#84 indy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9415 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 07:34 PM

Oh, somehow I suspect many of them will find a few biblical words that supports the idea that God didn't frown on this sort of thing, so it doesn't matter. Besides, it's not like he's a democrat or something truly evil like that.

#85 baw1064

formerly of the public sector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5409 posts
  • LocationEarthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanos--oh my!

Posted 09 November 2017 - 08:59 PM

View Postindy, on 09 November 2017 - 07:34 PM, said:

Oh, somehow I suspect many of them will find a few biblical words that supports the idea that God didn't frown on this sort of thing, so it doesn't matter. Besides, it's not like he's a democrat or something truly evil like that.

Right you are! After all Mary was a teenager
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” --Dr. Seuss

#86 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6625 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 09 November 2017 - 09:29 PM

View Postbaw1064, on 09 November 2017 - 08:59 PM, said:

Now if Moore had been diddling Joseph that might lead to a different defense...more fake news and less Bible.

#87 Rich T Bikkies

Trainee Basil Fawlty. Practising Victor Meldrew

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4833 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, UK

Posted 10 November 2017 - 03:03 AM

View Postbaw1064, on 09 November 2017 - 08:59 PM, said:

*And* Joe wasn't the father. Sad . . .
Reality is a hallucination caused by alcohol deprivation.

Only Satan can rebuke sin. The righteous don't know enough.
Rudyard Kipling

God is not dead. He was merely voted out of office.

You can do anything with anybody if you just save them the trouble of thinking.
Rudyard Kipling

People don’t believe in ideas: they believe in people who believe in ideas. Ze’ev Mankowitz

#88 indy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9415 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 06:42 AM

This isn't something that happens once, or even four times. My guess is we are going to hear a bit more about the good Judge's 'values'. Blood is in the water and no doubt reporters are tripping all over each other in AL right now.

#89 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13547 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 10 November 2017 - 08:14 AM

Moore popcorn please.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."-- Winston Churchill
"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices" Voltaire

#90 indy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9415 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 08:39 AM

Was Weiner ever accused of more than texting underage girls? I didn't really follow the details of the sordid affair once he left office. He just went to prison for nearly 2 years for doing a heck of a lot less than Moore did, right? Of course, the statute of limitations has passed on Moore, but if he's elected in spite of this, that'll really be something.

#91 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13547 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 10 November 2017 - 08:46 AM

In a way, I almost wish Moore manages to get elected. Tainted goods and all that. But if they go for Strange as a write in and split the POG votes, Jones might have a good chance. Which would be even better.

Bannon must be so proud. He is destroying the POG. He wins either way, if that is his only goal.

#92 Practical Girl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8256 posts
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 10 November 2017 - 10:24 AM

We have 4 women accusing "Judge" Moore, at this point, of the same sick behavior. And NO. I do not want to see this crazy man in the hallowed halls of the Senate. Always remembering that it isn't just destroying the GOP, but the huge potential to destroy our country.
Every woman needs a blowtorch.
---Julia Child

--- On September 17, 1787, as Benjamin Franklin was leaving the deliberations of the Constitutional Convention, at Independence Hall, in Philadelphia, a woman called out to him, saying, “Well, Doctor, what have we got, a republic or a monarchy?”
“A republic,” Franklin said, “if you can keep it.”

--- LFC, on Gorsuch ruling: "Awesome. A Christianist who swore an oath to uphold the laws of the nation and bore false witness when he did it"

--- "Write hard and clear about what hurts"
Ernest Hemingway

#93 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13547 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 10 November 2017 - 10:45 AM

Sorry PG, just being my usual cynical self.

#94 Beelzebuddy

Convenient Target of Irrational Fears

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2361 posts
  • LocationAustin

Posted 10 November 2017 - 11:20 AM

In a way, I almost wish Moore manages to get elected. Tainted goods and all that. But if they go for Strange as a write in and split the POG votes, Jones might have a good chance. Which would be even better.

Bannon must be so proud. He is destroying the POG. He wins either way, if that is his only goal.
We can call him Senator Pedophile!
Fear Sells!

Cui bono?

"The real problem of humanity is the following: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and god-like technology." - EO Wilson.

"Hell is truth seen too late" - T Hobbes

#95 Beelzebuddy

Convenient Target of Irrational Fears

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2361 posts
  • LocationAustin

Posted 10 November 2017 - 12:45 PM

Posted Image
Fear Sells!

Cui bono?

"The real problem of humanity is the following: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and god-like technology." - EO Wilson.

"Hell is truth seen too late" - T Hobbes

#96 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14677 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 01:20 PM

Can we make fun of Moore for his cowboy hat the way the right-wing smear machine did with Frederica Wilson?
“Trump’s a stupid man’s idea of a smart person, a poor man’s idea of a rich person & a weak man’s idea of a strong man.”

— Fran Lebowitz

“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It's simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

— Carl Sagan

Pray for Trump: Psalm 109:8

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#97 Ari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 01:52 PM

View PostAnBr, on 10 November 2017 - 01:20 PM, said:

Can we make fun of Moore for his cowboy hat the way the right-wing smear machine did with Frederica Wilson?

To be fair, her hats are ridiculous and deserve to be made fun of.

#98 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13547 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 10 November 2017 - 02:17 PM

True dat.

#99 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10233 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 02:20 PM

U.S. exceptionalism makes news world wide!

http://www.bbc.com/n...canada-41945199

Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#100 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14677 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 05:08 PM

Posted Image
“Trump’s a stupid man’s idea of a smart person, a poor man’s idea of a rich person & a weak man’s idea of a strong man.”

— Fran Lebowitz

“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It's simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

— Carl Sagan

Pray for Trump: Psalm 109:8

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users