• PipPipPip
  • 13461 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 08:56 PM

View Postbaw1064, on 26 September 2017 - 10:49 PM, said:

What are you doing Alabama?
You got the rest of the union to help you along
What's going wrong?

https://www.youtube....h?v=uD3bGEFxGC0

Love Young. I did not have to even open the link to know what it was. Used to listen to this all of the time. Goes well with this one.

“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It's simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

— Carl Sagan

Pray for Trump: Psalm 109:8

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#22 baw1064

formerly of the public sector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4991 posts
  • LocationEarthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanos--oh my!

Posted 27 September 2017 - 09:24 PM

I was very familiar with Southern Man, but although I knew of the song Alabama, I hadn't actually listened to it until I made that post.

Moral of all this: even crazy-ass stuff is a learning opportunity.
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” --Dr. Seuss

#23 J-CA

Probably in one of my drunken stupors..

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4768 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 08:40 AM

View Postbaw1064, on 27 September 2017 - 09:24 PM, said:

I was very familiar with Southern Man, but although I knew of the song Alabama, I hadn't actually listened to it until I made that post.

Moral of all this: even crazy-ass stuff is a learning opportunity.
Some more learnin' for ya.
http://thrasherswhea...mmin/lynyrd.htm

Of note: In 1975 Van Zant knew that the confederate flag was a racist symbol:

In 1975, Van Zant mused, “That was strictly an MCA gimmick to start us off with some label. It was useful at first, but by now it’s embarrassing except in Europe, where they really like all that stuff because they think it’s macho American.” The “stars and bars” that eventually began popping up in the band’s crowds became more than embarrassing. It was bad enough to be portrayed as ignorant hayseeds. It was entirely another to be categorized as racist.

I am the burrito until someone hands me to a philosopher.

#24 indy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9327 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 02:41 PM

TWICE stripped of his duties for failing to enforce the constitution and elected to the US senate by the same people who probably would be upset if you burned a flag. Sure, that makes sense.

#25 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10233 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 02:46 PM

View Postindy, on 28 September 2017 - 02:41 PM, said:

TWICE stripped of his duties for failing to enforce the constitution and elected to the US senate by the same people who probably would be upset if you burned a flag. Sure, that makes sense.

American or Confederate?
Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#26 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29978 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 28 September 2017 - 03:02 PM

View PostProgressive whisperer, on 28 September 2017 - 02:46 PM, said:

American or Confederate?

Down there it's the same thing.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#27 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10233 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 03:04 PM

View PostLFC, on 28 September 2017 - 03:02 PM, said:

Down there it's the same thing.

I suspect slightly more rage from burning the Dixie Swastika; but yes, the unironically fly both side by side.

Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#28 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29978 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 29 September 2017 - 09:32 AM

Looks like Roy Moore is a liar as well, conveniently forgetting to report income he was legally obligated to on his Senate ethics form.

Controversial Alabama Republican Senate nominee Roy Moore failed to disclose as much as $150,000 in a filing with the Senate Ethics Committee, the Daily Beast reported on Thursday.

The Daily Beast reported, citing Moore’s filings this April with the Alabama Ethics Commission for 2016, that he listed between $50,000 and $150,000 of income under the category of honoraria he received for “speaking.”

In a Senate disclosure form Moore filed in June, however, the Daily Beast reported that he specifically denied receiving any payments in 2016 “for an article, speech, or appearance.”

Moore also listed between $150,000 and $250,000 in debt to a credit union or savings and loan institution in his Alabama filing, but omitted it from his Senate filing, according to the report.

Moore’s campaign did not immediately respond to TPM’s request for comment.

The Daily Beast also noted discrepancies between a 2014 report Moore filed with the Alabama Ethics Commission, where he reported that his wife Kayla Moore earned $65,000 a year as the president of the Foundation for Moral Law, which was not reflected in the foundation’s tax filing.

Maybe he and all the rest of the Republicans (Trumpies, Clarence Thomas, etc.) aren't liars. Maybe they're just so gobsmackingly incompetent that they are incapable of filling out forms. What's the quote? Don't necessarily attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity? Or something like that.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#29 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29978 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 29 September 2017 - 01:42 PM

More on Moore, a national disgrace yet the pride of Alabama.

In a recently-unearthed op-ed from 2006, the Alabama GOP’s new Senate nominee, Judge Roy Moore, wrote that allowing Muslims into military service constitutes a danger to America.

“A great danger to our country exists when government offices and institutions are opened to Islamic influence,” Moore wrote in the editorial for World Net Daily titled “Jihad on our faith.”

He went on to say that allowing mosques on military bases, such at Marine headquarters in Quantico, Virginia and the United States Military Academy at West Point presented a “security threat.”

#30 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10233 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 02:06 PM

View PostLFC, on 29 September 2017 - 01:42 PM, said:

More on Moore, a national disgrace yet the pride of Alabama.

I'd bet pretty anyone who is "the pride of (white) Alabama" is likely a disgrace in the eyes of most of us.

Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#31 pnwguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1846 posts
  • LocationPortlandia

Posted 30 September 2017 - 12:50 PM

The Atlantic had a nice personal lament on Moore from a staff contributor with roots in Alabama, Michelle Cottle:

https://www.theatlan...oy-moore/541467
"All glory to the HypnoTrump, or else..."

"It all makes sense when you remind yourself that the GOP is no longer a political party but turned into an organized crime family"

"I hope to live long enough that the name Trump is reviled as much as the name Hitler or Stalin"

#32 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9976 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 30 September 2017 - 04:39 PM

View PostLFC, on 29 September 2017 - 09:32 AM, said:

Maybe he and all the rest of the Republicans (Trumpies, Clarence Thomas, etc.) aren't liars. Maybe they're just so gobsmackingly incompetent that they are incapable of filling out forms. What's the quote? Don't necessarily attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity? Or something like that.

https://en.wikipedia...anlon%27s_razor
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#33 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29978 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 02 October 2017 - 09:40 AM

View Postpnwguy, on 30 September 2017 - 12:50 PM, said:

The Atlantic had a nice personal lament on Moore from a staff contributor with roots in Alabama, Michelle Cottle:

https://www.theatlan...oy-moore/541467

When he became a judge I assume he swore an oath, on a Bible, to uphold the Constitution but he obviously lied. I guess there's an asterisk on that commandment with a footnote that says it doesn't count if you're being righteous at the time.

#34 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29978 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 03 October 2017 - 04:35 PM

Roy Moore really does have a problem telling the truth and when he's busted he (or a spokesperson representing him) just tells another lie. He's a perfect fit for the Republican Party ... or the Trump administration.

Roy Moore’s Senate campaign is claiming that a federal tax form, in which his nonprofit group apparently failed to disclose his wife’s income, is either fraudulent or manipulated.

The 2014 form filed by the Foundation for Moral Law (FML) says the Alabama conservative ex-chief justice’s wife, Kayla Moore, did not receive compensation from the group despite serving as its president. That is contradicted by a separate filing Roy Moore made to the Alabama Ethics Commission last year, in which he said that his wife earned $65,000 from FML.

Asked about the discrepancy, Brett Doster, a spokesman for the Moore Senate campaign, insisted that the publicly available filing “is a fabricated document.” The version that the FML filed with the Internal Revenue Service, Doster added, noted Kayla Moore’s income for the year, “so I do not know what [sic] the foundation’s version of the [form] has it zeroed out. It has somehow been changed.”

Doster did not provide a copy of the form as he says it was filed with the IRS. The Daily Beast put in a request with the IRS for their copy of the filing, but had not received it by press time. But versions of the tax filing posted on the websites of nonprofit research services Guidestar, the Foundation Center, and ProPublica all say Kayla Moore received no income from the group in 2014, as do versions filed by FML with regulators in North Carolina, New York, and California.

#35 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29978 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 06 October 2017 - 09:37 AM

Roy Moore's top money man is a secessionist who wants to start a theocracy in Alabama.

Alabama Republican Senate nominee Roy Moore’s top supporter is a hardline Confederate sympathizer with longtime ties to a secessionist group.

Michael David Peroutka (pictured on the right above, with Moore in 2011) has given Moore, his foundation and his campaigns well over a half-million dollars over the past decade-plus. He’s also expressed beliefs that make even Moore’s arguably theocratic anti-gay and anti-Muslim views look mainstream by comparison. Chief among them: He’s argued that the more Christian South needs to secede and form a new Biblical nation.

The close connections raise further questions about the racial and religious views of Moore, the former Alabama supreme court chief justice and the front-runner to become Alabama’s next U.S. senator.

#36 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5942 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 06 October 2017 - 09:51 AM

Maybe we can do a swap. Move everybody off Puerto Rico and into Alabama. Move Alabamans who support Moore to the island. Then let Moore and his fans use their rugged individualism and God to make it into their theocratic paradise.

#37 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29978 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 06 October 2017 - 10:26 AM

View Postgolden_valley, on 06 October 2017 - 09:51 AM, said:

Maybe we can do a swap. Move everybody off Puerto Rico and into Alabama. Move Alabamans who support Moore to the island. Then let Moore and his fans use their rugged individualism and God to make it into their theocratic paradise.

After contemplating your suggestion for about 2 seconds it's going to take about 3 days to wipe the schadenfreudelicious smile off my face.

#38 indy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9327 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 10:36 AM

Politico is reporting that Moore has met with Lee, Cruz and Paul but not Mitch McConnell. Doesn't bode very well for Republicans in the Senate, but maybe it does for everybody else.

#39 gmat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3385 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 11:55 AM

Pretty soon there’ll be enough young earth creationists in Congress to have their own prayer breakfast (if you count Pence)

#40 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10233 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 12:03 PM

The museum where I volunteer is doing a presentation on witch trials. Maybe good preparation for the next generation or so.

Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users