367 replies to this topic

#1 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18944 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 10 August 2017 - 05:41 PM

Alabama, almost as f***ed up as Mississippi. Once again, so much for right-wingers loving the Constitution.

Former Alabama Supreme Court Chief Justice Roy Moore leads the crowded Republican primary field in the state's Senate race, according to a new poll.

Moore has 30 percent support in the JMC Analytics and Polling survey. He is followed by Sen. Luther Strange (R-Ala.), with 22 percent, and Rep. Mo Brooks (R-Ala.), who had 19 percent.

Another 17 percent are undecided.

The poll found that 53 percent of respondents view Moore favorably, compared with 34 percent who have an unfavorable opinion of him.

So what kind of views give him that kind of approval?

Roy Moore, the GOP frontrunner for Jeff Sessions’ Alabama Senate seat, equated the United States Supreme Court decision to allow gay marriage with “the focus of evil in the modern world”—a phrase coined by Ronald Reagan to describe the Soviet Union.

Moore was speaking with the Guardian’s Paul Lewis in the midst of a crowded race to fill the Senate seat left vacant by Sessions. He told Lewis while “everybody else thinks it’s the Russians” who put Donald Trump in office, “I think it’s the providential hand of God.”

Asked by Lewis to consider what Reagan—who famously called Russia “the focus of evil in the modern world”—would say of growing support for Vladimir Putin among Republicans, Moore argued, “you could say that very well about America, couldn’t you?”

“We promote a lot of bad things,” Moore said of the United States. Asked to provide an example, Moore replied, “same-sex marriage.”

Lewis pointed out that Putin makes the same argument in opposition to same-sex marriage and gay rights.

“Maybe Putin is right, maybe he’s more akin to me than I know,” Moore replied.

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#2 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18944 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 18 September 2017 - 01:48 PM

With a campaign like this in Alabama, how can Moore lose? It's tailor made for that state. "Reds and yellows?" Just ... effin' ... awesome.

Roy Moore, the frontrunner for the Republican nomination for Senate in Alabama, referred to Native Americans and Asians as “reds and yellows” during a campaign event this week.

The Hill reports that Moore made his comments during a campaign event in which he lamented divisions within the United States.

“Now we have blacks and whites fighting, reds and yellows fighting, Democrats and Republicans fighting, men and women fighting,” he said. “What’s going to unite us?”

Moore then went on to say that no political leader could unite the country again, and that only true uniter is “going to be God.”

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#3 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18944 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 26 September 2017 - 04:38 PM

Alabama, looking to outcompete Mississippi to be the nation's cesspool. This man utter nutter will soon be their Senator. Republicans sure do love their stupid.

Judge Roy Moore, the frontrunner in Tuesday’s Alabama Senate Republican primary, told Vox reporter Jeff Stein that “there are communities under Sharia law right now in our country,” pointing specifically to Illinois and Indiana. When asked to clarify which communities he was talking about, Moore said he didn’t know and that “that doesn’t matter.” “I was informed that there were [communities under Sharia law],” he said. “But if they’re not, it doesn’t matter. Sharia law incorporates Muslim law into the law. That’s not what we do. We do not punish people according to the Christian precepts of our faith—so there’s a difference. I’ll just say: I don’t know if there are. I understand that there are some.”

#4 pnwguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 04:50 PM

If Moore makes it to the senate, he has the potential to incite as much of a cultural civil war as Dumpster. He will go to DC with a full-time grandstanding agenda and claim to speak for all Christians, as their champion.

Facts don't matter if you have a firmly held opinion.

I'm surprised that Sarah Palin isn't down there campaigning for him door to door. Maybe there are better grifting gigs elsewhere right now.
"All glory to the HypnoTrump, or else..."

#5 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18944 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 26 September 2017 - 04:58 PM

pnwguy, on 26 September 2017 - 04:50 PM, said:

If Moore makes it to the senate, he has the potential to incite as much of a cultural civil war as Dumpster. He will go to DC with a full-time grandstanding agenda and claim to speak for all Christians, as their champion.

Maybe that's why Trump is campaigning against him. He's competition for attention.

pnwguy, on 26 September 2017 - 04:50 PM, said:

I'm surprised that Sarah Palin isn't down there campaigning for him door to door. Maybe there are better grifting gigs elsewhere right now.

You were saying?

#6 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11423 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 26 September 2017 - 08:25 PM

You just gotta love this shit.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."-- Winston Churchill
"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices" Voltaire

#7 JackD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • LocationChicago area

Posted 26 September 2017 - 08:54 PM

Contrary to Bannon's statement, we don't think Alabamans are a "pack of morons"; we think they're assholes!

#8 Probabilistic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1737 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 09:10 PM

JackD, on 26 September 2017 - 08:54 PM, said:

Contrary to Bannon's statement, we don't think Alabamans are a "pack of morons"; we think they're assholes!

I can hold both ideas in my head at the same time.

#9 JackD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • LocationChicago area

Posted 26 September 2017 - 09:20 PM

I don't say they can't be both; I say that letting them be morons sort of exonerates them from personal responsibility. So, unless they can prove otherwise, I'll conclude they are simply malicious assholes.

#10 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4020 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 26 September 2017 - 10:38 PM

Looks like Moore is it. Theocratic nonsense will ensue. And the weirdo crew of Bannon and Palin win the hearts of some.

#11 baw1064

formerly of the public sector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3728 posts
  • LocationEarthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanos--oh my!

Posted 26 September 2017 - 10:49 PM

What are you doing Alabama?
You got the rest of the union to help you along
What's going wrong?

https://www.youtube....h?v=uD3bGEFxGC0
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” --Dr. Seuss

#12 J-CA

Probably in one of my drunken stupors..

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4398 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 11:04 PM

https://www.vox.com/...-moore-opponent

Democrats ought to invest in Doug Jones’s campaign against Roy Moore

He’s a long shot, but it’s time to take a stand.

Roy Moore is probably going to be the next senator from Alabama, and that’s true no matter what the Democratic Party says or does about it.

Alabama is, for starters, Alabama. Jeff Sessions was rejected for a federal judgeship by the United States Senate on the grounds that he was too racist, and a couple of years later, Alabama Republicans nominated him for a Senate seat and he won. There’s no reason at all to think that Moore can’t follow the same trail he’s blazed. Beyond that, America is a much more polarized place that it was in the 1980s. If you want Republicans to run the show in Washington — and clearly most Alabamians do — it more or less makes sense to vote for anyone the GOP nominates over anyone the Democrats nominate.

All that being said, Moore is flagrantly unfit for office. Doug Jones is a very solid nominee for the Democratic Party, and its informal leaders have an obligation to vigorously contest the race. If there were a dozen — or even three — other Senate races happening simultaneously, it would make sense to let the gods of targeting have their way and direct resources elsewhere. But there’s only one Senate race happening right now, and campaign money is not a purely fixed quantity.

Jones will almost certainly lose no matter what anyone does. But the people of Alabama — and, frankly, the country — deserve to see a real fight in which Jones has enough cash to run ads, hire field staff, and otherwise mount a vigorous campaign. There’s no need to raise false hopes or unduly elevate expectations, but it would be a huge mistake to take a dive here.

Second, if a real race is joined, then Republicans nationally will of course do their part to support Moore, and in doing so, they will help further discredit themselves. Letting Moore run without meaningful opposition lets Republicans help themselves to his Senate seat without getting his stink on themselves — which would be a mistake.

I am the burrito until someone hands me to a philosopher.

#13 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11423 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 27 September 2017 - 07:37 AM

You forget, it's Dems that you are talking about.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."-- Winston Churchill
"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices" Voltaire

#14 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9739 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 07:41 AM

Traveler, on 27 September 2017 - 07:37 AM, said:

You forget, it's Dems that you are talking about.

Who else ya got?

I mean, last guy who was POTUS did pretty well. Dems in Congress have been holding the line as well as they can. I'd love to see every race down to dog catcher contested, but they can't force people to run in deep red states where they are likely to lose anyway.
Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#15 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11423 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 27 September 2017 - 09:14 AM

I am talking about the DNC leadership that cannot lead (or manage their IT), and Dem voters that cannot vote. Both of these have to change, but all I see so far is a bunch of Sanderites taking potshots.

#16 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18944 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 27 September 2017 - 09:32 AM

J-CA, on 26 September 2017 - 11:04 PM, said:

I agree on both points; Moore will win but the race can be used as a black light on the Republican couch. Alabama is, after all, about as bad as it gets when it comes to the Constitution. Hating "other" people practically seems to be a foundation of their "culture".

Roy Moore's move to block gay marriage in Alabama is drawing comparisons to George Wallace's "stand in the schoolhouse door" in 1963, as Philip Bump wrote just a moment ago.

But school desegregation is hardly the only time Alabama has been among the final holdouts when it comes to social change. And thus, nor is it the only time the Wallace comparisons have been drawn.

Back in 2000, Alabama became the last state in the country to overturn its ban on interracial marriage. And despite more than three decades having passed since the Supreme Court ruled such laws unconstitutional (rendering such bans effectively moot), more than 40 percent of Alabamians still voted against overturning it.

Alabama voters in 2004 narrowly rejected a measure that included language that would have overturned the part of the Constitution that required separate schools for white children and "colored children" and eliminated references to poll taxes, which were once used to disenfranchise black voters.

The measure, though, also included language that struck the part of the constitution stating that children were not guaranteed the right to a public education. Opponents of the change argued that this would have led to increased taxes; Moore himself called it "the most deceptive piece of legislation I have ever seen." A similar measure failed by 20 points in 2012 without this language, after teachers and legislators opposed it.

Alabama, the hate state!

#17 pnwguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 11:16 AM

Moore should pilot one of our B-52's on the first wave of Trump's attack mission to Pyongyang. He can whip out his pistol and take out of few of them Yellows on the way down...

https://dawm7kda6y2v...362-60b3295.jpg

https://www.youtube....h?v=xRz797-Kdlk
"All glory to the HypnoTrump, or else..."

#18 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18944 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 27 September 2017 - 11:20 AM

McConnell is all in for Roy Moore. Trump said he is but deleted his tweets supporting his opponent, the ones that show he didn't "win". Sick of "winning" yet, Donny?

#19 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18944 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 27 September 2017 - 12:10 PM

Most of y'all probably know all this stuff about Roy Moore and his question for theocracy but I'd just like to take a moment to state that anybody who supports him and simultaneously tells us that they love the Constitution is a liar. That includes a huge majority of Alabama.

This is a member of the judicial system itself deciding that he is above the law. This is the undermining of democracy itself, replacing it with a personal tyranny grounded in one man’s religious beliefs.

Moreover, the fact that Moore’s view was overwhelmingly popular – a poll at the time showed over 80% of Alabamians agreeing with him – makes the offense worse, not better. The tyranny of the majority against the minority is the worst kind of tyranny; it is what brought us Jim Crow, and, yes, Nazi fascism. Just like Arpaio (and, at times, Donald Trump), Moore is preaching mob justice to an angry mob.

#20 Probabilistic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1737 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 12:35 PM

Posted Image
I'm truly unsure if the cartoonist literally means the Sunshine State. The contrast isn't as stark - the difference isn't day and night.

Edited by Probabilistic, 27 September 2017 - 04:31 PM.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users