977 replies to this topic

#741 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12982 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 10:11 AM

https://en.wikiquote.../Mahatma_Gandhi

I know of no one who has done more for humanity than Jesus. In fact, there is nothing wrong with Christianity … The trouble is with you Christians. You do not begin to live up to your own teachings.

In conversation, attributed by James E. McEldowney

The same article shows "I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" as disputed. It also has the Western civilization quote as disputed.
Pray for Trump: Psalm 109:8

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#742 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27912 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 04 January 2019 - 12:54 PM

View PostAnBr, on 04 January 2019 - 10:11 AM, said:

The same article shows "I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" as disputed. It also has the Western civilization quote as disputed.

Pedro Cerrano: "Aaaaah, Jesus <hay-suse>. I like him very much. But he no help with curve ball."

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#743 Rich T Bikkies

Trainee Basil Fawlty. Practising Victor Meldrew

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4131 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, UK

Posted 04 January 2019 - 01:14 PM

The classic American near-blasphemous oath is, CMIIW, "Jesus H. Christ!". The British equivalent is "Jesus wept!" (Notable as the shortest verse in the KJV, at two words).
Reality is a hallucination caused by alcohol deprivation.

Only Satan can rebuke sin. The righteous don't know enough.

God is not dead. He was merely voted out of office.

You can do anything with anybody if you just save them the trouble of thinking.

#744 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27912 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 04 January 2019 - 01:21 PM

View PostRich T Bikkies, on 04 January 2019 - 01:14 PM, said:

The classic American near-blasphemous oath is, CMIIW, "Jesus H. Christ!". The British equivalent is "Jesus wept!" (Notable as the shortest verse in the KJV, at two words).

Sometimes you don't even need words. (A salute to the late, great Alan Rickman.)

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#745 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27912 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 04 January 2019 - 02:29 PM

Treytor Gowdy looked crushed as he walked crawled oozed out of the Capital Building for the last time. He has the look of a man who sold his soul for what he now sees was next to nothing. He's just a willingly used whore who didn't even end up with a decent payday.

A photo of Rep. Trey Gowdy (R-SC) is going viral for showing the former official exiting a Congressional building in a disheveled suit and tie pulled apart.

Gowdy’s down-cast eyes and slumped shoulders was the perfect contrast to Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA), who appeared strong and victorious as she took hold of the House gavel once again.

“Poor Trey,” tweeted Daily Beast writer Cliff Schecter. “Much like Darrell Issa [and] Jason Chaffetz, seems The Gods have been cruel to the witless demagogues who led the charge on bogus investigations that wasted billions–while providing conspiracy theories to create Breitbart boners for the ages.”

“This photo of sad Trey Gowdy walking away from Congress for the last time makes me almost as happy as seeing Nancy Pelosi return as Speaker of the House. Almost,” wrote Washington Post op-ed writer and Blue Wave Crowdsource co-creator Holly Figueroa O’Reilly. She then cited Gowdy’s own words, “I will not be on the ballot ever again”

Here's the pic. Click the link for lots of other great tweets. I love "why does Trey Gowdy look like the lead protagonist of The Hangover 6" and "Trey Gowdy looks like he got kicked off The Bachelorette first."

Posted Image

#746 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27912 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 16 January 2019 - 01:50 PM

The white nationalists' favorite racist Republican Congressman, Steve King (R-IAmAnAsshole), has tested the bounds of acceptable open bigotry for years. He finally found the line after he crossed it in stunning fashion, i.e. stunning in its stupidity. On yeah. He's not a racist but...

“White nationalist, white supremacist, Western civilization — how did that language become offensive?” King told the Times. “Why did I sit in classes teaching me about the merits of our history and our civilization?”

King also told the Times that he’s not racist and said he believes immigrant assimilation is more important than race because he values the “culture of America,” which is “based on values brought to the United States by whites from Europe,” in the Times words.

He may still not know when it became offensive but he found out just how offensive it is when the House voted on a resolution about it. In remaining true to his sleaziness he even voted for it. It didn't keep him from losing all of his committee assignments. How does it feel to be toxic, Stevie?

The House of Representatives on Tuesday voted 424-1 in favor of a resolution “rejecting white nationalism and white supremacy.” The resolution was introduced by House Majority Whip Jim Clyburn (D-SC), who said it was meant as a response to Rep. Steve King’s (R-IA) recent comments on the terms.

King himself voted for the resolution. Rep. Bobby Rush (D-IL), a member of the Congressional Black Caucus, voted against it, saying he wanted a vote on his own proposed censure of King — a harsher response. House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) also stripped King of committee assignments for the comment, on Monday.

There's plenty of backlash from all over. Liz Cheney, House Minority Leader McCarthy, and even the White House all spoke up against it. Of course when Trump was personally asked he made some lame-assed statement like he hadn't followed it. Meanwhile McCarthy is dodging the bullets of years of inaction over King's increasingly ridiculous and hateful behavior. I guess he doesn't like having to take responsibility for his years of silence.

House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) bristled under questioning about why the Republican caucus is only just now taking steps to punish Rep. Steve King (R-IA) for his comments on white supremacy.

“Have I been leader for years?” he retorted, according to the New York Times.

He continued that he has only been the “in a position to take action” as the head of the House Republicans for “a short amount of time.”

King has now been stripped of his committee roles and indirectly condemned by the passage of a resolution in the House decrying white supremacy. He has a years-long track record of offensive statements and hobnobbing with far-right fringe groups.

#747 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27912 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 16 January 2019 - 02:05 PM

Another flagrant bigot, this one in Florida. She sounds exactly like Steve King.

A local city commissioner in south Florida has been condemned by colleagues and a state Islamic relations group for her Facebook post about freshman Rep. Rashida Tlaib (D-MI), whom she called a “danger” who might “blow up Capitol Hill.”

According to the South Florida Sun-Sentinel, Hallandale Beach commissioner Annabelle Lima-Taub reportedly signed a petition that called for the ouster of Tlaib after she was criticized for saying Democrats should “impeach that motherfucker,” referencing President Trump.

“Proudly signed,” Lima-Taub wrote, according to a screenshot of a post on her personal Facebook page, obtained by the Sun-Sentinel. “A Hamas-loving anti-Semite has NO place in government! She is a danger and [I] would not put it past her to become a martyr and blow up Capitol Hill.”

Several of Lima-Taub’s fellow commissioners have condemned her comments and the Florida chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations called on her to resign, USA Today reported.

It sounds like more and more Republicans who are actually less bigoted and but more spineless / grasping are finally starting to see that maybe allowing the bigots and racists to have the run of the GOP won't be a winning strategy for 2020. They were more than happy to ride that tiger for years decades centuries but they've blown right passed diminishing returns and into losses.

#748 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27912 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 17 January 2019 - 11:06 AM

An Iowa newspaper that endorsed Steve King has now called on him to resign. This is what happens when you wear your racism and bigotry on your sleeve.

The editorial board of an Iowa newspaper that endorsed Rep. Steve King (R-IA) ahead of the midterms because of his “conservative agenda” published an editorial on Thursday admitting it had made a “mistake” and called on King to resign.

“Unfortunately, King was far from an ideal choice,” the editorial board for The Messenger wrote. “It is now clear that the endorsement we made was a mistake. We should have pondered more carefully King’s pattern of making outrageous statements.”

“Throughout his career, King has made comments that were at the very least insensitive to the role of various minorities in our diverse society,” they continued. “At best, many things he said — and apparently believed — were evidence of great ignorance. It now appears likely that something more severe was involved. It’s hard to read the reports of the comments King has made recently and the individuals and groups he has praised without concluding that he either is a racist or is far too tolerant of those who are.”

“Therefore, King should resign from Congress with no delay,” the editorial board concluded. “That will allow a special election to be held so someone who will not be an embarrassment to our state can be elected. Northwest Iowa needs a new representative in the House as soon as possible.”

The Messenger isn’t the first local newspaper from King’s home state to call for his resignation. Earlier this week, The Des Moines Register published a similar editorial.

#749 Beelzebuddy

Convenient Target of Irrational Fears

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1624 posts
  • LocationAustin

Posted 17 January 2019 - 03:57 PM

Congressman Tom Marino Announces Resignation

20 year congress person (R-PA12) resigns two weeks after being sworn in.

WTF?
Fear Sells!

Cui bono?

"The real problem of humanity is the following: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and god-like technology." - EO Wilson.

#750 baw1064

formerly of the public sector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4800 posts
  • LocationEarthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanos--oh my!

Posted 17 January 2019 - 04:37 PM

View PostBeelzebuddy, on 17 January 2019 - 03:57 PM, said:

WTF?

Yeah, that was a bit of a head-scratcher. Either there's something scandalous that isn't out yet, or he's decided to cash in.
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” --Dr. Seuss

#751 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9449 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 17 January 2019 - 08:42 PM

WTF?

As my old professor once long ago wrote (in a paper for his students): "It's the smart rat that deserts the ship before it sinks."
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#752 baw1064

formerly of the public sector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4800 posts
  • LocationEarthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanos--oh my!

Posted 17 January 2019 - 09:24 PM

But wouldn't it have been easier to just not run for re-election this last time around?
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” --Dr. Seuss

#753 indy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9101 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 09:29 PM

I suspect being a member of the house when you are in the minority isn't a very fun job. Probably many folks lose interest in providing those expensive vacations when you are basically furniture in the place. Maybe he was one of those who didn't think it could happen to him.

#754 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27912 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 18 January 2019 - 02:00 PM

This should be a super safe red district and Marino won 66-34. Perhaps with the national mood Republicans weren't quite so confident about a new face running and asked him to hang in so they didn't risk the seat.

#755 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12982 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 02:37 PM

View PostLFC, on 18 January 2019 - 02:00 PM, said:

This should be a super safe red district and Marino won 66-34. Perhaps with the national mood Republicans weren't quite so confident about a new face running and asked him to hang in so they didn't risk the seat.

But how is the replacement selected? A special election? Appointed by the governor? If the former, what was the point? If the latter, is Wolf bound to replace him with another Rethug?
Pray for Trump: Psalm 109:8

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#756 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27912 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 18 January 2019 - 03:24 PM

View PostAnBr, on 18 January 2019 - 02:37 PM, said:

But how is the replacement selected? A special election? Appointed by the governor? If the former, what was the point? If the latter, is Wolf bound to replace him with another Rethug?

I believe it will be a special election but it will have a lower turnout. I suspect the GOP thinks this plays better for them. The large majority of consistent voters in that district are likely to vote Team Red.

#757 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27912 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 18 January 2019 - 05:17 PM

Always a class act Steve King (R-Pustule) is trying to raise campaign donations for being called out as a racist and a bigot. I'm sure that there's a nice chunk of his supporters who agree with his disgusting white supremacist defense.

Rep. Steve King (R-IA) is attempting to fundraise off of the controversy that’s swelled in recent days over his remarks about white supremacy to the New York Times earlier this month, the Des Moines Register reported.

In a campaign email to supporters, King criticized the “unhinged left” and Republican “NeverTrumpers” for the backlash to his remarks, despite condemnation and calls for his resignation from people in his party who are friendly with Trump.

“The unhinged left has teamed up with Republican ‘NeverTrumpers’ and is pulling out all the stops to destroy me,” King reportedly wrote, blaming the “rabid leftist media” for attacking him over his support of Trump and his stance on immigration.

After King questioned why the terms white supremacist and white nationalist were considered offensive, Republicans and Democrats denounced his remarks. Republican leadership moved to strip King of all his committee assignments and the House voted in favor of a disapproval resolution over the matter.

#758 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27912 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 20 January 2019 - 08:56 AM

Posted Image

#759 pnwguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1677 posts
  • LocationPortlandia

Posted 20 January 2019 - 01:54 PM

View PostLFC, on 18 January 2019 - 02:00 PM, said:

So if a congresscritter retires, aren't they allowed to keep leftover campaign bribes cash? If the RNC could have filled his coffers with money, to have him hold the seat through a rough election, and given him a parting gift for doing so, it might make sense.
"All glory to the HypnoTrump, or else..."

"It all makes sense when you remind yourself that the GOP is no longer a political party but turned into an organized crime family"

"I hope to live long enough that the name Trump is reviled as much as the name Hitler or Stalin"

#760 indy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9101 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 02:03 PM

They are required to spend it in certain ways (campaign debts, charities, other candidates, transfers to political party committees). Personal use is prohibited.

Of course, that's just election law. Your guess is as good as mine as to what actually happens.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users