#1901 baw1064

formerly of the public sector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5809 posts
  • LocationAn Anarchist Jurisdiction

Posted 23 October 2020 - 09:41 PM

View PostD. C. Sessions, on 23 October 2020 - 09:06 PM, said:

So he can be the Republican Ralph Nader?

Not exactly. They'd carry Utah and maybe Idaho, and Romney himself would get re-elected to the Senate.
"strained legal arguments without merit and speculative accusations, unpled in the operative complaint and unsupported by evidence"

#1902 HockeyDon

Mind blown...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3980 posts
  • LocationNew Britain, CT

Posted 26 October 2020 - 07:03 AM

What makes them think Donald Trump, Sr. isn't going to run again in 2024?

What makes them think Donald Trump, Jr. won't be behind bars for various illegal activity by then?
Well, fuck.

How can I be expected to distinguish BS from reality when so much of my reality is utter BS?!

#1903 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12064 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 26 October 2020 - 08:20 AM

I'm fairly impressed by the argument that Trump is headed for "shadow President" or "candidate in exile" for the next four years [1] and then either he or Junior runs again. If they do, there's a very good chance of them (either) being nominated. Without any real analysis, that sounds good to me because it should shake off the remaining remotely rational Republicans (R4)

[1] Assuming he loses (PLEASE!!!) and survives.
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#1904 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37591 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 26 October 2020 - 08:57 AM

View PostD. C. Sessions, on 26 October 2020 - 08:20 AM, said:

I'm fairly impressed by the argument that Trump is headed for "shadow President" or "candidate in exile" for the next four years [1] and then either he or Junior runs again. If they do, there's a very good chance of them (either) being nominated. Without any real analysis, that sounds good to me because it should shake off the remaining remotely rational Republicans (R4)

I'd just like to note that if either became the Republican candidate in 2024 it would completely destroy the right-wing whine / lie that the extremist libtards made them vote for Trump. They aren't crazy about him but any Dem would be so much worse. (I've got a good friend who just dumped somebody they've known for a long time off all of their social media because of a spittle filled rant that boiled down to just this. It was, of course, filled with lies and exaggerations a la Faux News and Trump himself.)

Either Trump taking the GOP nomination in 2024 means they embrace Trumpism rather than settle for it.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#1905 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37591 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 26 October 2020 - 09:48 AM

The Federalist is having a meltdown over Lesley Stahl kicking the crap out of their Dear Leader because she wouldn't lap up his shit and declare it delicious. This shrill little piece practically screeches QAnon as they go all in on the infamous (not) laptop and Obama/Biden spying on Trump's campaign. Welcome to the fever swamp that has been handing Trump his judicial nominees.

President Donald Trump preemptively released the full interview with CBS’s Lesley Stahl for “60 Minutes,” Thursday after the two engaged in a sparring match in which Stahl threatened the network could not air claims the president made during their discussion.

During the half-hour conversation, Trump hammered the press for refusing to ask tough questions of his November opponent now embroiled by scandal after the New York Post began publishing a series of exposés implicating the former vice president in Hunter Biden’s potentially criminal overseas business dealings.

A combative Stahl regurgitating Democratic talking points throughout the entire interview argued repeatedly that several of the president’s claims held no merit, with no way to verify them, and with no evidence to back them up.

Shorter Federalist: "WAAAHHH! Stahl's a big meanie!"
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#1906 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37591 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 26 October 2020 - 05:17 PM

A real peach of a Republican candidate just went in for emergency surgery. Thoughts and prayers for this racist, misogynistic, evil bigot.

Jason Lewis, a Republican one-term, former U.S. Congressman for Minnesota, was rushed into emergency surgery Monday for a potentially life-threatening condition, a severe internal hernia, according to his campaign.

“The former congressman was experiencing abdominal pain and was hurried into the emergency room Monday morning for tests. Doctors determined he had a hernia, which could be life-threatening if it’s not treated fast,” the Star-Tribune reports.

Lewis, an anti-LGBTQ, racist, misogynistic former talk show host, is trying to unseat incumbent U.S. Senator Tina Smith (D-MN).

Smith posted well-wishes for Lewis on social media.

Lewis has made national headlines for comparing LGBTQ people to rapists and warning they might harm children, expressing upset that “religious freedom” laws don’t go far enough to in allowing discrimination against LGBTQ people, mocking women traumatized by unwanted touching, and being sad “you can’t call” a woman a “slut” anymore.

Earlier this month Lewis was forced into quarantine for a second time, as NCRM reported, after being exposed to a person with COVID-19. Lewis, apparently did not observe the CDC’s 14-day guidelines, and had just returned to the campaign trail after riding on Air Force One with President Donald Trump who later tested positive.

RealClearPolitics shows Smith is currently beating Lewis by an average of nearly six points, but polls show the race has been tightening.

#1907 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37591 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 27 October 2020 - 05:03 PM

LOCK THEM UP! LOCK THEM UP! I figure a sentence that takes them at least past the 2024 election should be sufficient.

Rightwing troll duo Jacob Wohl and Jack Burkman have been indicted again, this time in Ohio’s Cuyahoga County, for an alleged scheme to place robocalls that discourage minority communities from voting by mail.

The two were indicted on eight counts of telecommunications fraud and seven counts of bribery. In Ohio, “bribery” covers attempts to intimidate or coerce a person not to vote.

A recording of the call, provided to TPM by Cuyahoga County Prosecutor Michael O’Malley’s office, matched a call that the two were indicted for allegedly placing in Michigan.

“Hi, this is Tomika Taylor from Project 1599, the civil rights organization founded by Jack Burkman and Jacob Wohl,” a woman says on the robocall. “Mail-in voting sounds great, but did you know that if you vote by mail, your personal information will be part of a public database that will be used by police departments to track down old warrants and be used by credit card companies to collect outstanding debts?”

“The CDC is even pushing to use records from mail-in voting to track people for mandatory vaccines,” she adds. “Don’t be finessed into giving your private information to the man. Stay safe and beware of vote by mail.”

O’Malley’s office alleges that the duo placed 67,000 calls across midwestern states; 8,100, prosecutors say, were placed to phone numbers in Cleveland and East Cleveland, both of which are in Cuyahoga County. The Ohio Attorney General’s office got involved after receiving multiple complaints and referred the case to the county prosecutor.

Arrest warrants have been issued for Wohl and Burkman, O’Malley’s office said.

#1908 pnwguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2549 posts
  • LocationPortlandia

Posted 27 October 2020 - 05:53 PM

View PostLFC, on 27 October 2020 - 05:03 PM, said:

LOCK THEM UP! LOCK THEM UP! I figure a sentence that takes them at least past the 2024 election should be sufficient.
An axe throwing competition with them as targets could be a good substitute.
"All glory to the HypnoTrump, or else..."

"It all makes sense when you remind yourself that the GOP is no longer a political party but turned into an organized crime family"

"I hope to live long enough that the name Trump is reviled as much as the name Hitler or Stalin"

#1909 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37591 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 28 October 2020 - 05:11 PM

Axios updates the Republicans' demographic problems. They're stuck in the middle. The base LOVES Trump and will want another candidate just as awful. That isn't playing well to most demographics including the ones that fund campaigns.

What's happening: Trump threw that out and realigned the GOP base away from suburbs and wealth, and toward white working-class people in small towns.
  • New Gallup polling finds Trump remains above 50% with rural residents, white men and white adults without college degrees.
  • But he has dropped 9 points just this year with suburbanites — falling with both men and women — to 35%, after winning them in 2016.
Republicans have hemorrhaged support among suburban women during the Trump years. Now, the GOP even struggles in exurbs.
  • Trump's plaintive pleas to these vital voters have become a 2020 punchline. "Suburban women, you’re going to love me. You better love me," Trump said last night in West Salem, Wisconsin.
Another GOP drain: Voters are no longer following the traditional pattern of getting more conservative as they age.
  • In what Axios demographic expert Stef Kight calls the "liberal youth revolution," millennials and Gen Z are sticking with the Democratic Party as they move through adulthood.
The demographic wind shear is also hitting Republicans financially, the N.Y. Times shows in a new analysis.
  • In ZIP codes with a median household income of $100,000+, Biden beat Trump 3 to 1 in fundraising, "accounting for almost his entire financial edge. In the rest of the country, the two were knotted closely."
  • Trump's sweet spot: Areas averaging $50,000 or less.

#1910 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37591 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 03 November 2020 - 11:55 AM

Welcome to the new normal. If you had told me 10 years ago that this call would be required in my lifetime I would have said you were nuts. If, however, you told me I had to bet on which side would have caused it to be necessary I would have been spot on.

Axios reported Tuesday that Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Gen. Mark Milley held an off-the-record video call with top generals and news anchors from major networks on Saturday to deny speculation that the military could be swept into the fray of the election.

Two people familiar with the call told the publication that during the call, Milley drove home the point of an apolitical military that does not play a role in politics, effectively countering loud whispers that the military could be drawn into an effort to remove President Trump from the White House if he faces electoral defeat on Election Day and refuses to leave.

One of the sources told Axios that Milley had made clear on the call that the military would have no involvement in the peaceful transfer of power, but that the military is taking steps to thwart potential cyber attacks amid efforts by foreign operatives to influence the election.

#1911 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7348 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 03 November 2020 - 12:35 PM

View PostLFC, on 03 November 2020 - 11:55 AM, said:

Welcome to the new normal. If you had told me 10 years ago that this call would be required in my lifetime I would have said you were nuts. If, however, you told me I had to bet on which side would have caused it to be necessary I would have been spot on.

I continue to hope this is an aberration, not a new normal. Gen. Milley learned a hard lesson when he participated in the LaFayette Square Bible holding photo op so he's making it clear that the military is not going to play any more roles in political things.

#1912 pnwguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2549 posts
  • LocationPortlandia

Posted 03 November 2020 - 01:13 PM

View Postgolden_valley, on 03 November 2020 - 12:35 PM, said:

I continue to hope this is an aberration, not a new normal. Gen. Milley learned a hard lesson when he participated in the LaFayette Square Bible holding photo op so he's making it clear that the military is not going to play any more roles in political things.
Yes, but the Republican Rambo dreamers in the various white power militias want to stand in for them. That is, until some entity decides to fire back at them.

"It all makes sense when you remind yourself that the GOP is no longer a political party but turned into an organized crime family"

"I hope to live long enough that the name Trump is reviled as much as the name Hitler or Stalin"

#1913 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37591 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 03 November 2020 - 03:28 PM

View Postpnwguy, on 03 November 2020 - 01:13 PM, said:

That is, until some entity decides to fire back at them.

From your lips...

#1914 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37591 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 09 November 2020 - 11:01 AM

Apparently sensing an opportunity among the QAnon crowd another fraudster is cashing in on the election fraud lies. This one comes with such enormous red flags that he makes Rudy look like a garden variety nutjob.

As Donald Trump refuses to concede the election, some of his most loyal allies have become obsessed with a bizarre new conspiracy theory about the race, insisting that Trump only lost the election because a deep-state supercomputer named “Hammer” and a computer program named “Scorecard” were used to change the ballot count.

The head of the U.S. Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency has called the claim about supercomputer election fraud “nonsense,” and urged Americans not to promote it.

But the mythical supercomputer claim has been embraced by prominent Trump backers, including former Trump adviser Steve Bannon, former NYPD Commissioner Bernie Kerik, former Trump 2016 campaign adviser George Papadopoulos, right-wing pundit John Cardillo, and Newsmax White House correspondent Emerald Robinson.

The election fraud claims center on Dennis Montgomery, a former intelligence contractor and self-proclaimed whistleblower who claims to have created the “Hammer” supercomputer and the “Scorecard” software some Trump fans believe was used to change the votes.

“He’s a genius, and he loves America,” Thomas McInerney, a retired Air Force lieutenant general and one-time leader in the birther movement, said of Montgomery on Tuesday on Bannon’s podcast, as Bannon praised an article on Montgomery’s claims. “He’s the programmer that made all this happen, and he’s on our side.”

Montgomery’s lawyer, Larry Klayman—a favorite attorney for fringe right-wing figures—didn’t respond to a request for comment. Klayman himself was temporarily suspended from practicing law in June.

What Trump allies tend to leave out, however, is that Montgomery has a long history of making outlandish claims that fail to come true. As an intelligence contractor at the height of the War on Terror, Montgomery was behind what’s been called “one of the most elaborate and dangerous hoaxes in American history,” churning out allegedly fictitious data that once prompted the Bush administration to consider shooting down airplanes.

And now, Trump allies want voters to believe Montgomery’s claims about the election.

Read the whole thing to see just how dumb and gullible high-level Republicans really are.

#1915 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37591 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 09 November 2020 - 04:46 PM

Q has gone silent over Dear Leader losing the election. Poor, poor mouth breathers. They have to recycle their own some of the old batshit crazy stuff or old come up with their own batshit crazy stuff. They are, of course, doing both.

The President claims the election has been stolen from him! All major media outlets have projected the contest for Joe Biden! Now seems like the perfect time for the “Q” behind the QAnon conspiracy theory — a supposed government insider feeding gibberish to a huge internet audience — to speak out.

But, alas, Q is nowhere to be found: The anonymous message board guru’s last post was nearly a week ago, hours before polls opened on Nov. 3. Q quoted the closing line from Abraham Lincoln’s “Gettysburg Address” and posted, of all things, a link to the soundtrack from the film “The Last Of The Mohicans.”

The anonymous poster, who claims to hold a high-level security clearance, has for years preached the gospel that a cabal of pedophiles in the “Deep State,” Democratic Party, Hollywood and elsewhere are secretly controlling the world. Donald Trump, Q has told believers, is leading a behind-the-scenes struggle to arrest and punish these sickos.

If ever was a time for an update, now would be it. And yet, nothing. So, in the silence, Q’s followers have had to come up with their own theories of the race.

Of course, they don’t accept that their savior, Donald Trump, has been defeated in his effort to secure a second term in the White House.

As the so-called “QAnon Congresswoman”-elect, Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-GA), falsely asserted in a recent video, “the American people reelected President Trump. But Democrats want to steal this election with fake mail-in ballots, dead people voting, hidden vote-counting and rigged rules.”

The most prominent theory is quite easily debunked: The federal government has placed watermarks on valid ballots, the thinking goes, and soon Joe Biden’s victory will be revealed as a sham, when an audit of his state-level results shows that he’s been the beneficiary of fraudulent ballots.

The theory is an interpretation of a year’s old phrase from Q, “watch the waters,” but it doesn’t take long to fact-check it: Ballots are printed by an array of private companies for state and local clients, and watermarks aren’t a universal a security feature. (And also, widespread election fraud is a persistent but baseless myth.)

The theory has proved so persistent that Jeb Bush, the former Florida governor and presidential candidate, said Friday that he’d heard a version of it four times.

#1916 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37591 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 10 November 2020 - 09:36 AM

This is part of the brownshirt force the GOP has been working on for decades.

The Republican city commissioner in Philadelphia whose office is responsible for counting votes in the city said his staff members have been receiving death threats since the count began there last week.

"From the inside looking out, it all feels very deranged," Al Schmidt said during an interview that aired Sunday on CBS News's "60 minutes." "At the end of the day, we are counting eligible votes cast by voters. The controversy surrounding it is something I don't understand."

Schmidt said critics of his office have been "coming up with all sorts of crazy stuff" about the integrity of the city's election systems and casting doubt on the impartiality of vote counters.

President Trump opened up a sizable lead on projected winner Joe Biden in Pennsylvania, which does not allow mail-in ballots to be counted before Election Day, on Tuesday evening. But mail-in votes counted in subsequent days, mostly in the Philadelphia and Pittsburg areas, swung the state toward Biden, and the former vice president eclipsed the president's lead early Friday morning.

On Thursday evening, Trump held a press conference at the White House to allege widespread voter fraud in the city and, without evidence, accuse election officials there of tipping the scales in favor of the Democratic candidate.

"In Pennsylvania, partisan Democrats have allowed the ballots to be received three days after the election, and we think much more than that, and they are counting those without any identification whatsoever. So you don't have postmarks, you don't have identification," Trump said.

#1917 pnwguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2549 posts
  • LocationPortlandia

Posted 10 November 2020 - 11:32 AM

Loco as ever

https://twitter.com/...811083492401152

#1918 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37591 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 10 November 2020 - 12:25 PM

pnwguy, on 10 November 2020 - 11:32 AM, said:

I didn't even recognize her.

#1919 HockeyDon

Mind blown...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3980 posts
  • LocationNew Britain, CT

Posted 11 November 2020 - 10:21 AM

View PostLFC, on 10 November 2020 - 12:25 PM, said:

I didn't even recognize her.

Couldn't see the soullessness in her eyes.
Well, fuck.

How can I be expected to distinguish BS from reality when so much of my reality is utter BS?!

#1920 Rue Bella

Emerging from a state of cryogenic denial

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9458 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 11 November 2020 - 11:41 AM

the infamous (not) laptop and Obama/Biden spying on Trump's campaign.

(From far back in the thread.)

Spying on Trump's campaign? Their strategy was all in full sight. The campaign was nothing but a series of rucous rallies, some Russian interference, Trump Twitter rants, racist dog whistles, the promise of violence, a few choice catchy phrases (Lock her up, Make America Great Again, Drain the Swamp). What else was there to spy upon? And who would want to?
What is wrong with these people? ~ PG

We go low so you don't have to. ~ LP

Person.. woman.. man.. election... vote. ~ Twitter

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users