1205 replies to this topic

#1121 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30593 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 18 September 2019 - 11:48 AM

Yet another MAGAt, this one more insane than most.

A 29-year-old Rhode Island man admitted in court on Tuesday to sending 28 emails to a Harvard University professor who spoke in favor of abortion rights that threatened to “rip every limb from your body and eat it, piece by piece” and “bite through your eyeballs while you’re still alive, and I will laugh while you scream.” Matthew Haviland, a vocal supporter of President Trump, was charged in April after he threatened to kill and eat the professor and “eradicate” Democrats, federal officials said. Haviland pleaded guilty to the charges of stalking and transmitting a threat on Tuesday. He also wrote that Democrats should be “eradicated” and sent separate threatening emails to the university, including one that advocated bombing and another that said “you should be Murdered in cold blood.”

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#1122 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30593 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 18 September 2019 - 03:40 PM

Cheezes flocking clighst! The party of victimhood is going all in on white males being the victims when it comes to sexual assault and harassment. All I can say is is "Bring it on!" I hope they scream it to the rafters and it gets repeated and amplified over and over because every woman in this country needs to see and hear what these little boys really are and what they really think of women.

On Sunday, the New York Times published an article by the authors of a new book about Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh, introducing more corroborating evidence for claims that Kavanaugh had a history throughout high school and college of getting trashed and then sexually abusing his female classmates. That story, almost a year after Kavanaugh’s momentous confirmation hearings, was interesting further evidence that Kavanaugh likely perjured himself before the Senate. Ultimately, it doesn’t really change anything, since there’s little reason to believe that anyone actually believed Kavanaugh was telling the truth at the time.

Which is to say, this is a story that would probably have already withered on the vine, especially in our fast-paced news environment, if Republicans had chosen to ignore it. Instead, they’ve kept on pumping new life into the story, flipping out with an intensity usually reserved for dressing down the maid for missing a spot while polishing the silver.

First, Trump himself went into his customary Twitter meltdown, spending days issuing ungrammatical tirades calling on Kavanaugh to sue for “liable.” (OK, the president of the United States later deleted that one and corrected the spelling.) He continued to hammer on about this at a campaign rally Monday night, calling for “the resignation of everybody at the New York Times involved in the Kavanaugh smear story.”

At the same rally where Trump accused Kavanaugh’s accusers of lying, he also introduced the contradictory claim that the problem with #MeToo isn’t that victims are lying, but that they are making mountains out of molehills.

“Even with the ‘Me Too’ movement, we can’t say this, but I’ll say it anyway: You’re better looking,” Trump told the crowd, who laughed in joyful agreement with the contention that #MeToo accusers are just women who don’t know how to take a compliment.

Donald Trump Jr. made a similar crack at a rally last week, claiming that he was in danger of being “#MeToo’d” for consensually kissing his girlfriend, Kimberly Guilfoyle.

(As a reminder, Christine Blasey Ford, the first woman to accuse Kavanaugh, testified that the future justice tried to rape her while mocking her, in a manner she said was “indelible in the hippocampus.” According to the Trumps, she just can’t handle a compliment from a real man.)

The Times later amended its story to clarify that one of the alleged incidents from Kavanaugh’s past involves a woman who didn’t speak to reporters and reportedly doesn’t remember the event in question. This detail was, of course, seized upon immediately by Trump and his legions of propagandists, who claimed that it undermined and discredited the entire story. In fact, the woman has not actually denied the account provided by a witness.
Report Advertisement

(There are many reasons someone might not remember something that actually happened. A lot of time has passed and it’s possible she was intoxicated. Since she won’t speak to reporters, we simply can’t know how she interprets this.)

Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., never one to turn his nose up to an opportunity for disingenuous grandstanding, took to Twitter to dramatically announce: “I promise you Justice Kavanaugh will not be impeached over these scurrilous accusations.”

This freakout, which is loud and dishonest even by right-wing standards, got out of control so fast that conservative gadfly Ben Shapiro actually released a video demanding to know why none of the accusers has accurately described Kavanaugh’s penis. That’s where we’re at now, with Republicans willing to humiliate themselves by pretending not to know that most male genitalia is pretty unremarkable.
Report Advertisement

Whatever the line-by-line arguments may be, the larger point of this crescendo of noise is to communicate a belief that men are the real victims of the #MeToo movement, and that women who speak out about male sexual abuse are the real villains.

Here are two such "victims", one from Utah who actually plead guilty and who is now a victim "just like Brett Kavanaugh" and Roy Moore who also brought up the SCOTUS pervert, sexual criminal, and perjurer.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#1123 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6040 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 18 September 2019 - 03:52 PM

I guess the only true victim of sexual assault is the accused person. 'Cause we all know B*^#s lie and have lots of incentive to do so, but the accused...is it his fault that he's just so attractive that women can't keep away from him?

#1124 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30593 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 23 September 2019 - 04:44 PM

Trumpian Ken Cuccinelli doesn't like the Constitution, especially not the part in the First Amendment about free speech and peaceful assembly. To review the text that he doesn't seem to grasp:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

At least not when that peaceful assembly contradicts him.

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Acting Director Ken Cuccinelli complained on Monday that Washington, D.C. police were lending “passive support” to climate change protesters marching on the city’s streets.

Cuccinelli tweeted a blurry photo of some of the Shut Down D.C. protesters and accused them of being against “capitalism and freedom.”

“I would also note, that the police seem to be helping them more than anything…” he tweeted.

“Can you imagine any protest about any issue that is right of center where the police in Washington DC would just let you stop up traffic all over the city?” the USCIS chief continued. “Yeah, neither can I. This looks like a form of passive support by the police.”

Can you imagine any protest about any issue that is right of center where the police in Washington DC would just let you stop up traffic all over the city? Yeah, neither can I. This looks like a form of passive support by the police

— USCIS Acting Director Ken Cuccinelli (@USCISCuccinelli) September 23, 2019

Metropolitan Police Department spokeswoman Alaina Gertz pushed back against Cuccinelli’s characterization of the officers at the protest.

“All demonstration participants are allowed to peacefully exercise their First Amendment Right, as long as no crime is being committed,” Gertz told TPM in an email. “MPD’s Special Operations Division is equipped to handle First Amendment assemblies of any stature and has been responding as necessary to ensure the safety of the protestors and the general public.”

And despite Cuccinelli’s accusations, the D.C. Metropolitan police reportedly arrested at least 26 protesters.

#1125 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6040 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 05:20 PM

Mr Cunnicelli, how are the police "helping?" By helping keep things peaceful instead on smacking protesters around?

#1126 J-CA

Probably in one of my drunken stupors..

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4768 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 09:21 PM

View PostMSheridan, on 11 September 2019 - 01:50 PM, said:

Good piece over at The Bulwark by Thomas Firey:

Departing the Shining City: Michael Anton’s “Flight 93 Election” wasn’t just a call to oppose Hillary Clinton; it was a full-throated rejection of Goldwater–Reagan conservatism.

I depart from Firey in that I was not then and am not now in retrospect a fan of Goldwater-Reagan conservatism. Not even a little. However, I can say that, bad as I believe it is and was, there are even worse things. Trumpismo is one of them. Firey makes a good conservative case, although I suspect his audience is quite limited. Aside from social conservatism, conservatism as an ideology (as distinct from a brand) is nearly defunct in the US.
Firey gives Anton altogether too much credit, Anton's essay was an argument about tactics, not strategy. I.e. I read the original essay as "we're all racists here, let's get more explicit about it and Trump is the perfect vessel you sniveling milquetoasts" and Firey is rewriting that as, "Conservatives (Reagan, Goldwater et Al.) haven't been racist enough, Trump will take us there and it will be glorious".
I read it as self-protection by someone fully invested in the old status quo.
I am the burrito until someone hands me to a philosopher.

#1127 Beelzebuddy

Convenient Target of Irrational Fears

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2010 posts
  • LocationAustin

Posted 24 September 2019 - 10:48 AM

View Postgolden_valley, on 23 September 2019 - 05:20 PM, said:

Mr Cunnicelli, how are the police "helping?" By helping keep things peaceful instead on smacking protesters around?
I think this is why Ken has a sad. :-(
Fear Sells!

Cui bono?

"The real problem of humanity is the following: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and god-like technology." - EO Wilson.

"Hell is truth seen too late" - T Hobbes

#1128 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30593 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 05 October 2019 - 12:09 PM

There really is nothing Republicans won't do if they think it benefits them. This is from the RNC, not some fringe PAC.

Officials in Montana are warning residents for the second time this year about surveys sent by the Republican National Committee that mimic the look of federal census forms, with the goal of soliciting money for President Trump’s reelection campaign.

The mailers are labeled “2019 Congressional District Census” and inform recipients that they’ve been “selected to represent Voters” in Bozeman, Mont. The accompanying literature makes repeated requests for donations, urging recipients to send at least $15 to “help pay for the costs of processing [the] Census Document” if they are unable to afford an amount in the requested range of $25 to $1,000.

The potentially misleading mailings come as the U.S. Census Bureau is preparing for what’s expected to be one of the most challenging federal counts in decades. The bureau is grappling with factors like a switch to digital and the fallout from the Trump administration’s efforts to add a citizenship question to the survey.

[Wilbur Ross’s false claim to Congress that the census citizenship question was DOJ’s idea]

After the documents landed in mailboxes across four Montana counties, state officials put out a warning about the “imitation Census survey.” In a Friday news release, the Montana Department of Commerce reminded residents that legitimate census survey documents are postmarked from the U.S. Department of Commerce, U.S. Census Bureau, rather than political groups, and never ask for money.

“Montanans need accurate information about the Census to make sure we have a complete count of the folks who live here,” Lt. Gov. Mike Cooney, a Democratic candidate for governor, said in the release, which was first reported by the Bozeman Daily Chronicle. “A complete count means the state will get its fair share of federal funding. The official Census is easy to complete, secure, and does not cost money. An accurate and complete Census count for Montana is too important to take lightly.”

In an email, a Republican National Committee official said: “Mailers are clearly marked that they are from the Republican National Committee. The mailers receive an overwhelming positive response and we continue to send each year because it performs so well.”

#1129 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30593 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 05 October 2019 - 12:57 PM

Welcome to the Fascist States of Republican America. This person needs to be removed from their position of authority and never allowed to have a job with the federal government again.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection official reportedly held a journalist's passport until he answered "yes" to "you write propaganda," and it's just the latest of multiple such incidents by federal officials during the Trump administration.

Defense One news editor Ben Watson reported on his media outlet's site Friday that he was arriving at Washington, D.C. through Dulles International Airport the prior afternoon, coming back from an assignment in Denmark, when a CBP officer screening passports turned the questioning in an unusual direction.

"What do you do?" the officer asked Watson, holding his passport.

When Watson replied, "journalism," the officer said, "So you write propaganda, right?" Watson responded, "No," and the conversation continued as follows, according to his recounting:

CBP officer: "You're a journalist?"

Watson: "Yes."

CBP officer: "You write propaganda, right?"

Watson: "No. I am in journalism. Covering national security. And homeland security. And with many of the same skills I used in the U.S. Army as a public affairs officer. Some would argue that's propaganda."

CBP officer: "You're a journalist?"

Watson: "Yes."

CBP officer: "You write propaganda, right?"

Watson waited five seconds. Then: "For the purposes of expediting this conversation, yes."

CBP officer, a fourth time: "You write propaganda, right?"

Watson, again: "For the purposes of expediting this conversation, yes."

CBP officer: "Here you go."

The officer handed Watson his passport back after asking four times if his job was to write propaganda. Asked why he thought it happened and if it had to do with President Donald Trump's rhetoric against the media, Watson told Newsweek, "I, of course, cannot say why it happened."

"I just know it did happen, and it was not normal," Watson said, adding that the officer's "troublesome four questions had nothing to do with re-entry into the United States."

Watson filed a civil rights complaint complaint with the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and said, "as far as what should be done, that's up to DHS."

"I know that as (a) former Army sergeant, we adhered to the standard of doing the 'right thing' and held soldiers accountable when they did not," Watson continued. "I knew holding my passport until I said I wrote propaganda was not the right thing by any measure that I was aware of at the time or in the almost 24 hours since."

#1130 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30593 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 10 October 2019 - 05:39 PM

Yep, there's nothing Republicans won't do to maintain power in the face of being a minority party.

On Thursday, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported that Wisconsin Democratic state Rep. Jimmy Anderson is condemning GOP lawmakers’ attempt to leverage his physical disability for political power.

“You disregard my accommodation request with the wave of a hand as if it’s too much,” said Anderson, who lost his brother and parents and was paralyzed after a drunk driver slammed into his car in 2010 when he was 24 years old. He requires extra assistance, including use of a speakerphone to remotely join meetings, to fully participate in legislative sessions.

Republicans in the House initially ignored his requests for accommodations, with House Speaker Robin Vos blasting his requests as “grandstanding.”Now that he has taken them public, they are advancing a resolution to change House rules to allow the accommodations — but with a twist. The rules package would also considerably strip power from Democratic Gov. Tony Evers and the House minority. Among other things, the new rules would let Republicans vote to override vetoes an unlimited number of times as opposed to just once, and would block Democrats from forcing an up-or-down vote on their legislation.

Faced with outrage, Republicans split the resolution into two different rules packages — but still bundled some of the political rules, including the voting restriction, in with the package to authorize Anderson’s disability accommodations.

The episode exposes the Wisconsin GOP to yet more accusations of abuse of power, following their passage of a series of laws in the lame-duck session stripping Evers and Democratic Attorney General Josh Kaul of several powers held by their GOP predecessors.

“The great irony of this is that this is a political stunt that is being pulled,” said Anderson in his floor speech. He is voting to advance the legislation out of necessity, but urging his fellow Democrats to oppose it in protest.

#1131 MSheridan

Human, for lack of options

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2695 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 10 October 2019 - 05:47 PM

I do wonder what percentage of Wisconsin Republicans thinks this sort of thing is just hunky dory.

#1132 pnwguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1894 posts
  • LocationPortlandia

Posted 10 October 2019 - 06:37 PM

View PostMSheridan, on 10 October 2019 - 05:47 PM, said:

I do wonder what percentage of Wisconsin Republicans thinks this sort of thing is just hunky dory.
I would imagine that all of the Dumpster worshippers think it’s a fabulous idea. Let’s bring back slavery too. All part of MAGA. Send all of those Milwaukee darkies back down south to the plantations.
"All glory to the HypnoTrump, or else..."

"It all makes sense when you remind yourself that the GOP is no longer a political party but turned into an organized crime family"

"I hope to live long enough that the name Trump is reviled as much as the name Hitler or Stalin"

#1133 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30593 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 10 October 2019 - 08:42 PM

View PostMSheridan, on 10 October 2019 - 05:47 PM, said:

Of people who still register Republican? I'd guess the vast majority as in the 80-90% that approve of Trump nationally.

#1134 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13338 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 11 October 2019 - 07:27 AM

All of the bastards.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."-- Winston Churchill
"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices" Voltaire

#1135 pnwguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1894 posts
  • LocationPortlandia

Posted 11 October 2019 - 08:43 AM

View PostLFC, on 10 October 2019 - 08:42 PM, said:

Of people who still register Republican? I'd guess the vast majority as in the 80-90% that approve of Trump nationally.
Great piece at The Bulwark on the moral capitulation
https://thebulwark.c...old-your-souls/

"It all makes sense when you remind yourself that the GOP is no longer a political party but turned into an organized crime family"

"I hope to live long enough that the name Trump is reviled as much as the name Hitler or Stalin"

#1136 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6040 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 11:26 AM

Some Republicans in South Carolina are unhappy that the party is canceling the primary there.

Former U.S. Rep. Bob Inglis, a Republican, and Protect Democracy, a nonprofit, filed a lawsuit over the canceled primary earlier this month. They say the state party ignored its own procedures by having “a small junta of party bosses” cancel the primary in a private meeting rather than hold a broader vote at the party convention earlier this year.

There's a history in SC:

Over the years, the state’s Republican Party has vacillated between holding and skipping primaries when there is a Republican incumbent. There were no primaries in 1984 and 2004 at the midway points of Ronald Reagan and George W. Bush’s presidencies. But the party held a primary in 1992, with George H.W. Bush winning roughly 67% of the vote over populist Patrick Buchanan.

Of course in those years there wasn't usually a challenger to the incumbent. Former Governor and Congressman Sanford is a challenger now.

#1137 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30593 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 18 October 2019 - 08:31 PM

Another unfit judge is placed on the bench.

Senate Republicans voted Thursday to advance another of President Donald Trump’s judicial nominees, Justin Walker, who earned a rare and embarrassing “not qualified” rating from the American Bar Association.

Every Republican on the Judiciary Committee voted to advance Walker, the president’s pick for a lifetime seat on the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Kentucky, to the Senate floor for a confirmation vote. Every Democrat voted no.

Walker, 37, “does not presently have the requisite trial or litigation experience” to be a federal judge, the ABA’s Standing Committee concluded in a July review.

The nonpartisan ABA, which thoroughly reviews each of a president’s judicial nominees, typically requires that someone chosen for a lifetime court seat have at least 12 years of experience practicing law. It’s not an automatic disqualifier, though, if a nominee has other substantial trial or courtroom experience. Walker falls short on both counts.

“Mr. Walker’s experience to date has a very substantial gap, namely the absence of any significant trial experience,” the ABA concluded. “Mr. Walker has never tried a case as lead or co-counsel, whether civil or criminal. ... In addition, based on review of his biographical information and conversations with Mr. Walker, it was challenging to determine how much of his ten years since graduation from law school has been spent in the practice of law.”

Ahead of the committee vote, Sen. Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) chided Republicans for voting to advance Walker despite his obvious lack of qualifications ― something they’ve done with other Trump court picks, too.

“Some of the people who have come before us have literally never, ever entered a courtroom in their lives,” Durbin said. “They may not have ever seen a “Perry Mason” show and certainly didn’t stick around for the second half of any “Law and Order” episode. Now they want to be trial judges for the rest of their natural lives.”

“Come on,” he added. “There have got to be more qualified Republican attorneys in America than the ones we’re seeing before this committee.”

#1138 pnwguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1894 posts
  • LocationPortlandia

Posted 18 October 2019 - 08:43 PM

View PostLFC, on 18 October 2019 - 08:31 PM, said:

Another unfit judge is placed on the bench.
Trumpsucking and kowtowing to the wealthy are the only qualifications needed.

#1139 baw1064

formerly of the public sector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5076 posts
  • LocationEarthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanos--oh my!

Posted 18 October 2019 - 08:56 PM

What rating did the Federalist Society give him?
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” --Dr. Seuss

#1140 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30593 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 19 October 2019 - 09:01 AM

View Postbaw1064, on 18 October 2019 - 08:56 PM, said:

What rating did the Federalist Society give him?

I'm pretty sure every single judge Trump is putting up is a Federalist pick. He handed the whole thing over to them.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users