#1201 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10176 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 09 November 2019 - 04:11 PM

View PostRue Bella, on 09 November 2019 - 03:58 PM, said:

When he didn't, Liddle Lindsey looked around for the next best thing to suck up to, and hence wrapped his slimy tentacles around Trump.

Slime after slime? Somehow I don't want to hear that lovesong and I certainly don't want to watch the show.
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#1202 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30561 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 12 November 2019 - 03:35 PM

Dreher goes full blown white Christianist snowflake only with more complete sentences and spellchecking. After citing a piece about Republicans' demographic problems he prances off into right-wing victimhood.

First we have this incredibly self-unaware "fact":

By now we should all be aware that in general, conservatives understand liberals better than liberals understand conservatives. Social psychologist Jonathan Haidt wrote about why this is so. It’s not that every conservative understands every liberal better than the opposite; it’s a general trend, and it has to do, says Haidt, with different moral frameworks that we work into our psychology.

What I find so telling about Appelbaum’s essay is that he assumes that Republicans are the only ones practicing identity politics, as opposed to appealing to “values and ideals.” He apparently doesn’t see that the “values and ideals” promoted by liberals, and the Democrat Party, are explicitly or implicitly anti-white, anti-Christian, and anti-male. Obviously liberals don’t see it that way; what they call “diversity and inclusion,” we conservatives recognize clearly as left-wing identity politics aimed to exclude and disempower us. Remember earlier this year, rising Democrat Stacey Abrams, an African-American, said that her party should not pretend it doesn’t practice identity politics, because “identity politics is exactly who we are.”

I don’t know why an essayist as intelligent and as perceptive as Appelbaum can’t see what the world looks like to Christian conservatives like me. I wouldn’t expect him to share my point of view, as he is neither Christian nor conservative, but when we look out at the world, we see not simply a world in which we are not in power, but one in which people who regard us as evil and actively seek to punish us are coming into power. I know plenty of highly educated Christian conservatives with whom Appelbaum could have a deep, rich discussion about any number of topics, who are at ease with pluralism, and who think Donald Trump is a disgrace … but who are probably going to vote for him in 2020, because they understand well what a Democratic Party victory means for them. Most of these people are academics, and are small minorities within their professional milieux. They see up close and personal what’s coming for people like them.

My point here is simply that the demographic changes Appelbaum correctly cites as having a tectonic shift in American politics tell a far more complex story than he allows for. I do not see the Left as standing for ideals, as opposed to ethnic and identity-politics interests. The Democratic Party is far more an identity-politics party than the Republicans are, though this is not the narrative we get in the media, which is overwhelmingly liberal. Look, I’m not going to say that Republicans don’t play identity politics. They do — but all political parties do. I hope I don’t sound like a vulgar Marxist, but it really is true that sometimes, power-holders and power-seekers drape class interests in gauzy veils of moral idealism. I think Appelbaum completely misses the extent to which the Democratic Party has become aggressively hostile to those who don’t share its core ideals — and, in turn, how they too are driving the turmoil.

I want to go back to this observation by Appelbaum:

The GOP’s efforts to cling to power by coercion instead of persuasion have illuminated the perils of defining a political party in a pluralistic democracy around a common heritage, rather than around values or ideals.

This is awfully rich coming from someone within a political tradition whose most progressive, active wing constantly attempts to silence dissent on campuses. More importantly, it’s just not an accurate description of our situation.

I'd say if somebody with the news resources and time for research that Dreher clearly has is clueless about the census scandal, the multiple voter suppression scandals across the country, the closing of polling places in unfriendly districts, the gerrymandering, and on and on then it's intentional. Every time another story arises he must plug his ears and screech "WAH-WAH-WAH I CAN'T HEAR YOU!" He is now blatantly blocking out all information contrary to what he "knows" or giving is the most passing of mentions. This places him well within the Trump base, just at the end who says "Weeellll, I don't really like him but what choice do I have?" Here's your choice; act like a decent human being and stop making persecution of others a central and necessary part of your very existence.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#1203 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30561 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 12 November 2019 - 05:02 PM

Tomasky calls the Republican Party out for what it is, an un-American cult of power at any cost to our nation.

According to Tomasky, the latest spin by Republicans is that Trump’s pressuring of Ukraine’s president for dirt on his political opponents in return for foreign aid might be debatable, but that the effort by the president doesn’t rise to the level of an impeachable offense.

Calling the defense, “more insidious, because in sounding reasonable on the surface it masks the cancer that is eating the Republican Party and has been, in fact, since before Donald Trump ran for president,” Tomasky wrote, “the seemingly reasonable, soft-shell defense of Trump is grounded in that authoritarianism.”

Admitting that Republican are running scared of Trump and his rabid followers, Tomasky explained that there is a deeper fear among party leaders that they will be exposed as anything but a party interested in democratic values.

“Everything Trump has done is unimpeachable for this far creepier and less reassuring reason: They do not want to admit that any Republican president is capable of doing anything illegal or impeachable while in office. They simply will not allow that precedent to be established,” he wrote.”

“It’s still the case that too few people understand the truth about the modern GOP. It is an un-American party. It is not interested in democracy. It is interested in power. It doesn’t care how it gets it,” he elaborated. “Twice in the last five elections, its presidential candidates have lost the popular vote. Suppose that had gone the other way around. Do you think the Electoral College would still exist? I can assure you it would not. They would have found a way to gut it. But because the un-democratic results in 2000 and 2016 happened to favor them—hey, the Electoral College is great! Whatever it takes.”

“All this preceded Trump,” he continued. “All the crazy gerrymandering is about power over democracy. Remember when the state legislatures of Wisconsin and North Carolina tried to strip the governor’s office of powers during lame-duck sessions because the incoming governors were Democrats? Power over democracy—or, in that case, limiting the legitimate democratic power of the other side. And of course Merrick Garland. Power over democracy.”

Adding that it is possible there is “a line” Donald Trump could cross that would make Republicans turn on him and acquiesce to booting him from office, Tomasky issued a warning to readers to not hold their collective breaths.
Report Advertisement

“So when you hear someone on television say that Republicans’ posture is all about their fear of Trump, don’t buy it. It’s partly about that. But it’s also about this. If they were to acquiesce in the removal of a Republican president, they’d be placing democracy ahead of power. And this is one thing that we know they will not do,” he concluded.

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#1204 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30561 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 14 November 2019 - 04:21 PM

Every time I see some right-wing snapperhead screeching about how AOC is an idiot I plan on replying "Steve King. Matt Gaetz. Louie Gohmert. Devin Nunes." And heeeerrre's Steve King!

In a collision of conspiracy theories, two Republican lawmakers wrongly accused the son of billionaire Democratic donor George Soros of being the Ukraine whistleblower.

“Adam Schiff said, ‘I do not know the identity of the whistleblower,’” Rep. Steve King (R-CA) tweeted on Thursday morning, referring to remarks House Intelligence Committee chair Adam Schiff (D-CA) made in the first public impeachment hearing Wednesday.

“@RepAdamSchiff here are four strong clues.”

King, trying to suggest the whistleblower is tight with top Democrats, attached four pictures of a bearded man standing with Democratic figures like Hillary Clinton, Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY), Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA), and Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-MA). The wording of King’s tweet implied that the unnamed man in the pictures is the whistleblower. Rep. Paul Gosar (R-AZ) then amplified King’s claim by quote-tweeting King’s photo collage.

The man in the pictures is Alexander Soros, whose father is often featured in anti-Semitic right-wing conspiracy theories.

#1205 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30561 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 18 November 2019 - 06:11 PM

There is nothing but anti-democratic and criminal behavior in the GOP anymore. Nothing.

San Diego billionaire Doug Manchester, President Trump’s failed nominee for ambassador to the Bahamas, may have been involved in a possible pay-for-play scheme involving the Republican National Committee, according to an investigative report from CBS News. Manchester donated $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund and was offered the Bahamas post the day after the president was sworn into office. Emails obtained by CBS reportedly show that Manchester, who prefers the nickname “Papa Doug,” was prompted by RNC Chairwoman Ronna McDaniel for a $500,000 donation while his confirmation in the Senate remained unclear. Manchester’s nomination stalled in Congress for the next two years, despite a relief trip he made to the Bahamas after it was ravaged by Hurricane Dorian in September. “Did you feel like they were putting the arm on you?” reporter Jim Axelrod asked him, in an interview. “No, I didn’t. That’s part of politics. It’s unbelievable. You give and you give and you give and you give some more and more and more,” Manchester replied. He reportedly told McDaniel that he was not supposed to donate, but that his wife would send a $100,000 contribution.

“Does any part of you feel if you had just cut the check for $500,000 that you would be the ambassador to the Bahamas?” Axelrod asked. “No, because first of all, you have to get out of committee and you have to be voted on the floor,” Manchester said. “It’s a big process.” Trump formally withdrew Manchester’s nomination on Nov. 13. In a statement to CBS, a spokesman for the RNC said McDaniel “did not suggest to Mr. Manchester in any way that it would more quickly advance his confirmation if members of his family made a political contribution,” adding that “Mr. Manchester’s decision to link future contributions to an official action was totally inappropriate.” The committee has allegedly cut ties with Manchester and returned the money his family donated this year.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users