I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9313 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 22 May 2019 - 05:02 PM

View PostLFC, on 22 May 2019 - 12:38 PM, said:

Where else can they go?
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#922 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9313 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 05:06 PM

View PostLFC, on 22 May 2019 - 03:35 PM, said:

Imagine if a liberal held up somebody as obscure as this as "evidence" that their side was being viciously attacked. You would ridicule them, and rightly so. What's next? "I talked to some guy in a bar and he told me...?"

The taxi driver schtick is already in use.
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#923 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27480 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 23 May 2019 - 02:56 PM

How stupid and gullible are the base of the Republican Party? This stupid and gullible.

A video of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA), with the audio slowed to make her speech sound drunkenly slurred, is permeating the social media landscape, already infiltrating Facebook, Twitter and Youtube.

The video is from Pelosi’s Wednesday speech at the Center for American Progress. The Washington Post reported on the spread of the video.

The Facebook video in particular has already been shared more than 35,000 times. And based on some of the nearly 7,000 comments, viewers are buying it hook, line and sinker.

“Good Lord lady…How many drinks did you have today..” one commenter wrote.

“Omg is she drunk or having a stroke??? Bet that makes the Dems so proud of their Leader, LMAO,” another said.

“How can you have a meaningful meeting with a drunken Speaker of the House?” said another.

Neither Pelosi nor representatives from the three major social platforms immediately responded to a request for comment.

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#924 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12856 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 08:55 PM

Of course two can play that game:

Pray for Trump: Psalm 109:8

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#925 baw1064

formerly of the public sector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4733 posts
  • LocationEarthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanos--oh my!

Posted 23 May 2019 - 11:10 PM

"Nobody even knows what a trillion is."
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” --Dr. Seuss

#926 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9313 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 06:43 AM

View Postbaw1064, on 23 May 2019 - 11:10 PM, said:

"Nobody even knows what a trillion is."

Certainly nobody who had someone else take his maths exams from primary grades on.
— Nate Silver

#927 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27480 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 24 May 2019 - 09:19 AM

Trump and at least some of the Foxbots are taking the clearly doctored video and running with it full steam. And there are piles of MAGAts that will lap it up as truth. This is how fascism takes hold. Our nation is doomed if Republicans retain power in 2020.

Just hours after having multiple senior aides vouch for his calm state of mind after House Speaker Nancy Pelosi accused him of a temper tantrum, President Trump took to Twitter late Thursday to push an edited video of the top Democrat supposedly “stammering” through a news conference, jumping on a conspiracy-theory bandwagon that had been raging on social media throughout the day.

The video, which was first aired by the Fox Business Network and appeared to have been cleverly edited to make Pelosi's speech seem impaired, came after several doctored videos purporting to show a “drunk” Pelosi slurring her words spread like wildfire on social media, all while Trump tried to convince the public that Pelosi was not to be taken seriously because she is “crazy” and “a mess.”

Even Fox News reported that the videos were doctored, but that didn't stop Trump lawyer Rudy Giuliani from tweeting out a link to one of the already debunked videos late Thursday.

“What is wrong with Nancy Pelosi?” Giuliani wrote. “Her speech pattern is bizarre.” He later deleted the tweet, but the flames of the “Pelosi-can-barely-string-a-sentence-together, she-must-be-senile-or-drunk” hoax that apparently originated among Trump supporters had already been fanned, and Fox, predictably, was to thank for keeping the whole thing going.

Frequent Fox Business guest Ed Rollins on Thursday backed up the president’s earlier assertion that Pelosi is a “mess,” citing the edited video as evidence that the speaker is inarticulate and therefore unwell. Prior to Rollins’ remarks, guest host Gregg Jarrett had played a highly edited and manipulated clip of Pelosi speaking earlier in the day that made it appear that she stammered and struggled through a press conference.

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#928 Rich T Bikkies

Trainee Basil Fawlty. Practising Victor Meldrew

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4076 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, UK

Posted 24 May 2019 - 09:26 AM

View PostLFC, on 24 May 2019 - 09:19 AM, said:

Our nation is doomed if Republicans retain power in 2020.

My thoughts and prayers are with you all. And I'm no petty politician running for elected office, so that raises my level a centimetre or two. But call me Elwood P Dowd if it relieves your feelings and makes you feel better in this grim era of Western civilisation.
Reality is a hallucination caused by alcohol deprivation.

Only Satan can rebuke sin. The righteous don't know enough.

God is not dead. He was merely voted out of office.

You can do anything with anybody if you just save them the trouble of thinking.

#929 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5537 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 24 May 2019 - 10:08 AM

Trump is so ticked off at Pelosi for being a female who makes him look bad that he'll happily use that deep fake video and anything else he or someone else can think of. It's childish.

#930 JackD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1588 posts
  • LocationChicago area

Posted 24 May 2019 - 11:35 AM

"It's childish." Actually, it's fraud, a conman's tool.

#931 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9313 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 12:36 PM

Yes, a lot of people are going to believe it. How many of them are going to change their votes next November based on that? Keep in mind that Pelosi is quite possibly going to follow through with handing over the gavel then anyway, so running against her is a limited strategy.

On the other hand, if laughing at Big Bad Nancy is going to affect their strategies [1] then by all means, laugh.

[1] I seriously doubt that McConnell will
— Nate Silver

#932 Probabilistic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2036 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 02:00 PM

View PostJackD, on 24 May 2019 - 11:35 AM, said:

"It's childish." Actually, it's fraud, a conman's tool.

Not at all. It comes from the stable of extremely stable genius. Perhaps you don't have the right level of stability to comprehend.

#933 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9313 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 04:20 PM

View PostProbabilistic, on 24 May 2019 - 02:00 PM, said:

Not at all. It comes from the stable of extremely stable genius. Perhaps you don't have the right level of stability to comprehend.

Perhaps -- but honestly I prefer the garage.
— Nate Silver

#934 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5537 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 24 May 2019 - 06:33 PM

View PostProbabilistic, on 24 May 2019 - 02:00 PM, said:

I think it comes from the cellar.

#935 JackD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1588 posts
  • LocationChicago area

Posted 24 May 2019 - 08:12 PM

Wherever it comes from, it's still fraud.

#936 Beelzebuddy

Convenient Target of Irrational Fears

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1562 posts
  • LocationAustin

Posted 25 May 2019 - 11:35 AM

View PostLFC, on 24 May 2019 - 09:19 AM, said:

Trump and at least some of the Foxbots are taking the clearly doctored video and running with it full steam. And there are piles of MAGAts that will lap it up as truth. This is how fascism takes hold. Our nation is doomed if Republicans retain power in 2020.

WASHINGTON—Denying that there was any factual basis to the doctored footage shared by President Trump that suggested she was intoxicated, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi blasted the viral video clip Friday by claiming that you’ll fucking know it when she’s drunk. “Yet again, we have the President spreading baseless accusations on his Twitter feed, this time implying I’ve been drunk on the job, when in reality there’s not going to be any goddamn ambiguity whatsoever when I decide to get loaded,” said Pelosi, telling reporters that she couldn’t have been under the influence in the video because it did not feature her clutching the lectern for dear life while flipping off her colleagues and calling them “a gaggle of cocksuckers.” “This video is a distraction from the malfeasance and cover-ups that this administration is actively engaged in, so let me put this matter to rest once and for all: When I get plastered, I’m a mean-ass drunk, so until you see me actively pissing on the House floor or pressing a broken beer bottle up to [Minority Leader] Kevin McCarthy’s dumb face, you dipshits can rest easy knowing I’ve been sober as a goddamn judge.” Pelosi reportedly went on to do a keg stand on the Capitol lawn to demonstrate exactly what “you fucking geniuses” should be on the lookout for.

Fear Sells!

Cui bono?

"The real problem of humanity is the following: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and god-like technology." - EO Wilson.

#937 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9313 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 01:26 PM

I can see her doing it, perhaps without the expletives since she wants to get it on-air. Pity it was The Onion.
— Nate Silver

#938 baw1064

formerly of the public sector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4733 posts
  • LocationEarthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanos--oh my!

Posted 25 May 2019 - 03:00 PM

View PostD. C. Sessions, on 25 May 2019 - 01:26 PM, said:

Pity it was The Onion.

I had to hover the mouse over the link to be sure...
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” --Dr. Seuss

#939 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9313 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 04:11 PM

I do hope she enjoyed it.
— Nate Silver

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users