14 replies to this topic

#1 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9613 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 09:49 PM

http://www.huffingto...b_11537306.html

My problem with Liberalism is that it's more concerned with policing people's language and thoughts without requiring them to do anything to fix the problem. White liberal college students speak of "safe spaces", "trigger words", "micro aggressions" and "white privilege" while not having to do anything or, more importantly, give up anything. They can't even have a conversation with someone who sees the world differently without resorting to calling someone a racist, homophobic, misogynistic, bigot and trying to have them banned from campus, or ruin them and their reputation. They say they feel black peoples' pain because they took a trip to Africa to help the disadvantaged, but are unwilling to go to a black neighborhood in the City in which they live. These same college students will espouse the joys of diversity, but will in the same breath assume you are only on campus because of affirmative action or that all black people grew up in poverty. My personal favorite is declaring with surprise how articulate a black classmate is despite the fact that we are attending the same institution of higher learning as they are.

The White Liberal culture encourages talking about diversity and shaming others for their alleged racism, but many times they themselves work in environments that are mostly white. When questioned they'll defensively state that they promote strictly on merit. Black people aren't suggesting that we want someone unqualified to get the position, but I find it telling that they assume that we are not qualified. These same Liberals are quick to be against school choice, while their kids go to private or well-regarded public schools. Leaving poor black children behind in underperforming schools and providing less opportunity to improve their lives is inconsequential to keeping true to their white liberal politics. Many people are quick to espouse the political values of liberalism without having to live with the often harsh reality of those policies.

"What the Nazis were doing was not describing what was true, but what would have to be true to justify what they planned to do next." — Hannah Arendt in her book The Origins of Totalitarianism

"No nation is permitted to live in ignorance with impunity." Thomas Jefferson: Virginia Board of Visitors Minutes, 1821

“Nixon and his successors hid behind ideology and obscured the contradictions by pursuing a strategy I would call 'no-fault bigotry.'” — William Greider

“It’s not ‘Nation Building’, We are Assisting them in Building their Nation” — Marco Rubio on Iraq

“I should apologize for all of my stories that you wished were true and turned out not to be.” — Andy Borowitz

“Republicans want smaller government for the same reason that crooks want fewer cops: it's easier to get away with murder.” — James Carville

"It is a truism that almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so, and will follow it by suppressing opposition, subverting all education to seize early the minds of the young, and by killing, locking up, or driving underground all heretics." — Robert A. Heinlein, Postscript, Revolt in 2100

"As long you have racism, as long as you have Islamophobia, as long as you have rampant misogyny, you're going to have the wellsprings of fascist sensibility." Chris Vials

#2 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3476 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 06 June 2017 - 12:20 AM

From the above:

"Many people are quick to espouse the political values of liberalism without having to live with the often harsh reality of those policies."

Is that not equally true of "conservatives"?

#3 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11034 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 06 June 2017 - 07:35 AM

Great article. Dead on. This is a big reason why trumpistas despise the left. And why I do as well, at least these folks.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."-- Winston Churchill
"We never threaten anyone. We just explain the situation." Russian spokesman

#4 Juanito (JohnnyA)

Juanito "JohnnyA"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationSao Paulo, Brazil

Posted 20 June 2017 - 06:29 PM

Great article, AnBr. I completely agree - this is how I see it too.

#5 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8613 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 06:43 PM

Eh. I'm sure it's dead onfor a subset of well off liberals. You all DO know there are non-white people who are 'liberals', right?

There are liberals working hard to improve people's lives, to fight injustice? Or are those people some other ideology?

Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#6 Juanito (JohnnyA)

Juanito "JohnnyA"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationSao Paulo, Brazil

Posted 20 June 2017 - 08:28 PM

View PostProgressive whisperer, on 20 June 2017 - 06:43 PM, said:

Eh. I'm sure it's dead onfor a subset of well off liberals. You all DO know there are non-white people who are 'liberals', right?

There are liberals working hard to improve people's lives, to fight injustice? Or are those people some other ideology?

Agreed. But it does describe a lot of liberals. Especially the most affluent, influential, vocal ones that get the most attention in the media.

#7 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9613 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 09:14 PM

One thing that I have to keep noting when the subject of the radical left comes up is that while they have many of the same failings and stupidities as the radical right there is one huge difference between the two. While there may be many flaws with the Dems the radical right IS the Republican party, but the radical left is mostly outside of the party. This is why it is so important that the Dems resist the Bernouts that try to sow divisions within the party. As do the Teabillys they shun pragmatism and compromise. the very things that can bring about many of the things they want and they would make the party as ineffectual as the Repugs. They would cause the party to lose that vital center.
"What the Nazis were doing was not describing what was true, but what would have to be true to justify what they planned to do next." — Hannah Arendt in her book The Origins of Totalitarianism

"No nation is permitted to live in ignorance with impunity." Thomas Jefferson: Virginia Board of Visitors Minutes, 1821

“Nixon and his successors hid behind ideology and obscured the contradictions by pursuing a strategy I would call 'no-fault bigotry.'” — William Greider

“It’s not ‘Nation Building’, We are Assisting them in Building their Nation” — Marco Rubio on Iraq

“I should apologize for all of my stories that you wished were true and turned out not to be.” — Andy Borowitz

“Republicans want smaller government for the same reason that crooks want fewer cops: it's easier to get away with murder.” — James Carville

"It is a truism that almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so, and will follow it by suppressing opposition, subverting all education to seize early the minds of the young, and by killing, locking up, or driving underground all heretics." — Robert A. Heinlein, Postscript, Revolt in 2100

"As long you have racism, as long as you have Islamophobia, as long as you have rampant misogyny, you're going to have the wellsprings of fascist sensibility." Chris Vials

#8 Bact PhD

Frustrated, Thoughtful Independent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1046 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 20 June 2017 - 09:36 PM

Juanito (JohnnyA), on 20 June 2017 - 08:28 PM, said:

Agreed. But it does describe a lot of liberals. Especially the most affluent, influential, vocal ones that get the most attention in the media.
And, what can be described in my neck of the woods as the "academic liberals", i.e., those who theorize a lot and write pompous tomes to the local paper with astounding regularity.
Politics these days is show business. Elections are Dancing with the Stars with consequences. ~Rue Bella

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." --Thomas Jefferson to Charles Yancey, 1816. ME 14:384, via LFC, 12/1/2016

Competent people go in one of a few directions. But incompetence is infinite. ~David Brooks, NY Times

#9 baw1064

formerly of the public sector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3357 posts
  • LocationEarthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanos--oh my!

Posted 20 June 2017 - 10:03 PM

This article, which a friend of mine found and posted on Facebook, is kind of along the same lines. It doesn't paint a terribly flattering portrait of my neck of the woods.

To understand white liberal racism, read these private emails
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” --Dr. Seuss

#10 Sinan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2642 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 June 2017 - 01:28 PM

Perhaps the only problem with these liberals is that we expect people to be virtuous despite the obvious evidence that people of all stripes can behave in all sorts of manners. Why should liberals expect other liberals to be perfect little human beings? This is a flaw in all current liberal dogma, it ignores the human element in favor of some utopian existence that will never, ever be achieved. If some liberals are jerks, so what? All I care about is political power and if they vote left, they can join the party. Purity tests on either side of the aisle are pointless exercises in suicidal futility.
"anyone who believes exponential growth can go on forever in a finite world is either a madman or an economist."
Kenneth Boulding

"A person who reads books lives a thousand lives. A person who never reads lives only one"
George Martin

"Is that a real poncho or a Sears poncho?"
Zappa

"and let not mankind bogart love"

Willie Nelson and Colbert

#11 gmat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2977 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 01:38 PM

I was accused of whitesplaining the other day.

Talking to somebody on FB about, Did violence at demonstrations further the altright agenda, etc

Somebody else, a white girl actually, said I was whitesplaining racism. Technically, I can't be whitesplaining if I am addressing another white person.

#12 baw1064

formerly of the public sector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3357 posts
  • LocationEarthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanos--oh my!

Posted 21 June 2017 - 02:56 PM

View PostSinan, on 21 June 2017 - 01:28 PM, said:

Perhaps the only problem with these liberals is that we expect people to be virtuous despite the obvious evidence that people of all stripes can behave in all sorts of manners. Why should liberals expect other liberals to be perfect little human beings? This is a flaw in all current liberal dogma, it ignores the human element in favor of some utopian existence that will never, ever be achieved. If some liberals are jerks, so what? All I care about is political power and if they vote left, they can join the party. Purity tests on either side of the aisle are pointless exercises in suicidal futility.

Well, I think the point is to dispel the idea that being in a certain part of the political spectrum doesn't mean one can't be racist, on a conscious or unconscious level.
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” --Dr. Seuss

#13 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3476 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 21 June 2017 - 03:29 PM

Having Trump as president is a very destructive way to slap down smug liberals of any color.

#14 gmat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2977 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 07:22 PM

View PostAnBr, on 05 June 2017 - 09:49 PM, said:

" In this election, let’s take her at her word and take a deeper look at what Liberalism is really doing for us."

Uh huh, and how's that working out for you?

#15 Ari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 10:23 PM

A shockingly smug article for someone accusing others of being smug. What a load of horseshit. Dems are so good at forming circular firing squads...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users