438 replies to this topic

#421 Probabilistic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2122 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 09:07 PM

View PostAnBr, on 02 June 2019 - 08:45 PM, said:

Rather melodramatic headline. Did anyone remotely connected with markets ever think otherwise?

#422 baw1064

formerly of the public sector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4819 posts
  • LocationEarthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanos--oh my!

Posted 02 June 2019 - 09:13 PM

View PostProbabilistic, on 02 June 2019 - 09:07 PM, said:

Rather melodramatic headline. Did anyone remotely connected with markets ever think otherwise?

Well, I totally expect my net worth to get appreciably smaller this week. But if that prevents a second term for 45, I'm prepared to take one for the team.
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” --Dr. Seuss

#423 HockeyDon

Mind blown...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3655 posts
  • LocationNew Britain, CT

Posted 03 June 2019 - 09:15 AM

View PostProbabilistic, on 02 June 2019 - 09:07 PM, said:

Good point. I imagine they always knew he was that stupid, but figured they could control the stupid enough to serve their own interests.
Well, fuck.

How can I be expected to distinguish BS from reality when so much of my reality is utter BS?!

"There seems to be a lot of people dying of ignorance while living in the information age." my sister-in-law.

#424 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28071 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 03 June 2019 - 11:26 AM

Trump's acting DHS Secretary can't explain how tariffs on Mexico get people to stop crossing the border. Why? Because it's a f***ing dumb idea.

Acting Homeland Security Secretary Kevin McAleenan couldn’t explain on Sunday morning how President Donald Trump’s proposed tariffs on Mexico wouldn’t just push more people to cross the border due to poor economic conditions caused by said tariffs.

Trump threatened last week to impose a 5 percent tariff on Mexican goods on June 10 if Mexico didn’t stop the flow of border crossings into the US.

“These tariffs are designed to hurt Mexico economically,” CNN reporter Jake Tapper said to McAleenan. “Won’t they just exacerbate the problem? If things go bad economically in Mexico, won’t more people come in and cross the southern border illegally?”

“These crossings into Mexico are happening on a 150-mile stretch of their southern border,” McAleenan responded. “This is a controllable area. We need them to interdict these folks before they make this route all the way to the U.S.”

Tapper then pointed out again that the conditions caused by Trump’s tariffs would incentivize more border crossings and thus make McAleenan’s job harder, a point that McAleenan refused to address.

“Bottom line for me is we need them at the table looking at new strategies that we can aggressively move out on,” the acting DHS secretary said.

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#425 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28071 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 03 June 2019 - 11:29 AM

The GOP establishment is not happy with Trump's threatened tariffs on Mexico.

The Republican establishment is revolting against President Donald Trump’s threat to impose tariffs on Mexico in retaliation for immigrants crossing the southern border.

“I think it was a mistake,” Sen. John Kennedy (R-LA) said in an interview Sunday, adding: “I don’t think the President is going to impose these tariffs […] He’s been known to play with fire, but not live hand grenades. And if he slaps a 25% tariff on Mexico, it’s going to tank the American economy. I think the President knows that.”

Trump, who’s said he would exercise his authority under the International Emergency Economic Powers Act to implement the tariffs, has threatened a tariff on Mexican imports beginning at 5% on June 10 and increasing 5% monthly up to 25%, “until such time as illegal migrants coming through Mexico, and into our Country, STOP,” he tweeted Thursday.

The President soon confused his message, tweeting about drugs coming across the border and falsely saying the United States has “a 100 Billion Dollars Trade Deficit with Mexico.” The bluster recalled a similar stance from Trump just two months ago, when the President threatened to completely shut down the U.S.-Mexican border, then ultimately did not do so.

Republicans in Congress, typically wary of crossing the President, spoke out.

Sen. Joni Ernst (R-IA) said “this isn’t the right path forward.” Fellow Iowan Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-IA) called it “a misuse of presidential tariff authority and counter to congressional intent” and urged “the president to consider other options.” Sen. Pat Toomey (R-PA) said “a blanket tax increase on everything Americans purchase from Mexico” was “the wrong remedy” and that Congress should “reassert its Constitutional responsibility on tariffs.” A spokesperson for Sen. John Cornyn (R-TX) said he “opposes this across-the-board tariff which will disproportionately hurt Texas.”

Sen. Rob Portman (R-OH), like many others, noted the damage the tariffs could do to Trump’s still-unratified update to NAFTA, the United States-Mexico-Canada Trade Agreement (USMCA).

Bloomberg News’ Steven Dennis catalogued’ Republicans’ feelings on the threatened tariffs with one emoji each, mostly downturned thumbs.

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#426 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5633 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 03 June 2019 - 11:42 AM

View PostLFC, on 03 June 2019 - 11:29 AM, said:

It's rather nice to see GOP Senators express at least mild disagreement with one of Trump's tweets. However I think they are pretty safe in doing it because a 25% tariff is clearly one of Trump's master negotiating positions to put maximal pressure on Mexico. He'll back down quick or another shiny object will attract his attention and he'll move on.

#427 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9525 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 03 June 2019 - 11:52 AM

Trump stirs shit. It's what he does.
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#428 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13065 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 03 June 2019 - 03:41 PM

View PostLFC, on 03 June 2019 - 11:29 AM, said:

So long as the base keeps lapping up the koolaid, the senators will dutifully cower.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."-- Winston Churchill
"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices" Voltaire

#429 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28071 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 05 June 2019 - 10:45 AM

Congressional Republicans tried speaking about tariffs with the Trumpies. It appears that they have no idea what Dear Leader is thinking so speaking with them is kinda' worthless.

A closed-door lunch Tuesday with Senate Republicans and administration officials left lawmakers feeling confused and concerned, as President Donald Trump’s people spoke in ambiguities despite the looming tariff decision.

According to a Politico report, Republicans spent the lunch hammering White House deputy counsel Pat Philbin and Assistant Attorney General Steve Engel about their dislike of tariffs, threatening a veto-proof vote to nullify Trump’s national emergency declaration.

Some Republicans, more wary of defying the President, came away frustrated, as the officials could only speak in broad-strokes about alternate plans. Trump and most of his Cabinet are currently in the UK, leaving behind few people with decision-making power to caucus with the Republicans.

Trump has said he’ll decide whether or not to levy tariffs on Mexico in less than a week.

#430 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13065 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 05 June 2019 - 11:46 AM

Spineless pond scum.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."-- Winston Churchill
"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices" Voltaire

#431 MSheridan

Human, for lack of options

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2606 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 05 June 2019 - 12:58 PM

We're not looking at something like the House of Lords. It is true, many members of Congress are wealthy and the very richest tend to be Republicans (32 of the top 50 last year). Someone like Sen. Mitt Romney could afford a spine, or a collection of them, were he at all interested. However, there are plenty of Republicans in Congress whose livelihood is being in government, or who expect to make a more than comfortable living as a lobbyist after leaving government. Expecting those people to buck a President and the inflamed populist base of the party that elected that President and they themselves would be to expect them to have the sort of principles that would, in practically every case, have debarred them from getting elected by that base in the first place. Spines would be a distinct evolutionary disadvantage for them.

So we could call them spineless scum, I suppose, and I'd have no real objection, except that I don't dislike scum that much. I would rather compare them to lampreys, bloodsuckers that don't need a true spine to flourish and get by just fine with a notochord.

#432 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28071 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 05 June 2019 - 01:01 PM

MSheridan, on 05 June 2019 - 12:58 PM, said:

So we could call them spineless scum, I suppose, and I'd have no real objection, except that I don't dislike scum that much. I would rather compare them to lampreys, bloodsuckers that don't need a true spine to flourish and get by just fine with a notochord.

I just love it when TRSers make biological references.

#433 MSheridan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2606 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 05 June 2019 - 01:06 PM

Memories of high school biology class and a fondness for reading the works of Stephen Jay Gould make up the greatest part of what little I know. It is far from being an area in which I consider myself at all knowledgeable.

#434 baw1064

formerly of the public sector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4819 posts
  • LocationEarthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanos--oh my!

Posted 05 June 2019 - 01:10 PM

However, there are plenty of Republicans in Congress whose livelihood is being in government, or who expect to make a more than comfortable living as a lobbyist after leaving government. Expecting those people to buck a President and the inflamed populist base of the party that elected that President and they themselves would be to expect them to have the sort of principles that would, in practically every case, have debarred them from getting elected by that base in the first place. Spines would be a distinct evolutionary disadvantage for them.

Yes, but they've already been elected. What determines their career prospects at this point, should they choose the lobbying route, is their willingness to look after the well-being of their deep-pocketed prospective clients. And they aren't happy about tariffs
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” --Dr. Seuss

#435 MSheridan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2606 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 05 June 2019 - 01:51 PM

True, but might matter most if they see their current term as their final term in office. Also probably explains any sotto voce objections from them we are hearing about. We're certainly not hearing about any full-throated opposition to tariffs from the party that as recently as 2012 and 2016 exalted free trade in its party platform. In 2012 that platform included this paragraph on the importance of Congress's role in trade agreements (emphasis added):

Because American workers have shown that, on a truly level playing field, they can surpass the competition in international trade, we call for the restoration of presidential Trade Promotion Authority. It will ensure up or down votes in Congress on any new trade agreements, without meddling by special interests. A Republican President will complete negotiations for a Trans-Pacific Partnership to open rapidly developing Asian markets to U.S. products. Beyond that, we envision a worldwide multilateral agreement among nations committed to the principles of open markets, what has been called a "Reagan Economic Zone," in which free trade will truly be fair trade for all concerned.

They took that bolded part out in 2016. But then, their platform for years has also called for balancing the U.S. budget, which tells you everything you need to know about exactly how seriously the Republican Party leadership takes its promises to the people that elect them.

#436 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28071 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 05 June 2019 - 01:53 PM

However, there are plenty of Republicans in Congress whose livelihood is being in government, or who expect to make a more than comfortable living as a lobbyist after leaving government.

Posted Image

#437 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28071 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 06 June 2019 - 10:08 AM

Trump apparently knows more about tariffs than anybody else also.

President Trump took a few quick moments before D-Day festivities to insult his Republican colleagues and everyone else opposed to his tariffs.

“We’re having a great talk with Mexico,” he told reporters. “We’ll see what happens. But something pretty dramatic could happen. We’ve told Mexico the tariffs go on. And I mean it, too. And I’m very happy with it. And lot of people, senators included, they have no idea what they’re talking about when it comes to tariffs. They have no — absolutely no idea.”

“When you have the money, when you have the product, when you have the thing that everybody wants, you’re in a position to do very well with tariffs, and that’s where we are,” he continued. “We’re the piggybank. The United States is the piggybank. It has all the money that others want to take from us, but they’re not taking it so easy anymore. It’s a lot different.”

#438 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28071 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 29 June 2019 - 11:10 AM

Trump is now whining about Vietnam. Gee, I can't think of a reason why maybe we should have a bit of a soft touch with them. According to Trump we need to beat them down because they're picking on us and everybody else.

President Donald Trump is in the middle of a trade war with China, with the administration having levied a tariff of 25% on $200 billion worth of Chinese imports.

Both sides are locked in negotiations to end the dispute, which has lasted for more than a year. Now Trump may be getting ready to open a new front against one of China's neighbors: Vietnam.

During an interview on Wednesday with Fox Business host Maria Bartiromo, Trump hinted he might impose tariffs on Vietnam, which has benefited from the US-China trade dispute.

"A lot of companies are moving to Vietnam, but Vietnam takes advantage of us even worse than China. So there's a very interesting situation going on there," Trump said.

When Bartiromo asked Trump whether he planned to impose tariffs on Vietnam, Trump didn't directly answer the question, saying, "We're in discussions with Vietnam." He went on to describe Vietnam as "the single worst abuser of everybody" and vowed to increase tariffs on China again if a trade deal isn't reached.

#439 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5633 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 30 June 2019 - 01:19 PM

LFC, on 29 June 2019 - 11:10 AM, said:

Trump is now whining about Vietnam. Gee, I can't think of a reason why maybe we should have a bit of a soft touch with them. According to Trump we need to beat them down because they're picking on us and everybody else.

Whatever. Mostly what Trump wants is chaos with everybody guessing what he's going to say or do next. And guess what? It works, he's the star of the chaos.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users