90 replies to this topic

#1 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28143 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 18 May 2017 - 12:29 PM

Since it's possible that at some point he become President, I decided to create a dedicated thread. I'll lead off with a summary of just how mendacious he's been, smiling his little smile, wearing his religion on his sleeve, and lying his ass off (a.k.a. bearing false witness). Here's the lead-in which is followed by a well documented list.

Donald Trump’s disclosure of highly sensitive intelligence to the Russians and reported efforts to shut down the FBI’s investigation into former national security adviser Mike Flynn now shine a spotlight on the next person in line for the presidency. It should be withering, because Vice President Mike Pence (JD, Indiana — Robert H. McKinney School of Law, ’86) is not a solution to Trump. His consistent dishonesty is a central part of the problem America faces. But compared to the boss, whose dangerous tendencies he has enabled, Pence seems like a Boy Scout. That merely proves the depths to which the bar of acceptable behavior has fallen, if it even exists anymore.

EDIT: Added a link to the original article. Sorry about that.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#2 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28143 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 18 May 2017 - 12:31 PM

And guess who's already setting up a PAC for 2020.

NBC News reports that Pence this week filed paperwork to form the Great America Committee, which will aim to “aid his own future political interests, including helping Republican candidates ahead of the 2018 midterms” and will “be able to use the funds to cover the costs of the vice president’s travels on Air Force Two to campaign on behalf of GOP candidates across the country.”

This is unusual, as NBC notes that no sitting vice president has ever set up their own PAC before. The timing is interesting as well, as it comes as the Trump White House is suffering from its worst week yet thanks to revelations that the president gave classified information to Russian government officials and that he allegedly asked former FBI Director James Comey to stop investigating former National Security Adviser Michael Flynn.

However, one source tells NBC News that no one should think that Pence’s PAC has been formed as a preparation to run for president in 2020 if Trump is somehow ousted from office.

“Don’t read into 2020 as anything other than his running for re-election as vice president in 2020 and supporting other candidates,” the source claimed.

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#3 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5657 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 18 May 2017 - 12:39 PM

Even without the above I've disliked Pence. He's the guy who has supported defunding of Planned Parenthood, who signed a bill banning private health insurance from covering abortion with certain exceptions, but none for fetal abnormalities, who signed a bill that required all remains of a miscarriage or an abortion to have a burial of some sort and a number of other things along those lines. This is not a mainstream Republican. When it comes to women his head is not screwed on straight.

Also it took a long long time (and apparently a lot of prayer) to convince him that Indiana should allow a clean needle exchange when the state is in the midst of a heroin and HIV epidemic. What a throwback...along with Sessions on this kind of stuff.

#4 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28143 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 18 May 2017 - 12:56 PM

View Postgolden_valley, on 18 May 2017 - 12:39 PM, said:

When it comes to women his head is not screwed on straight.

That's why he can't trust himself to have dinner with a woman if his wife isn't present. Yeah, there's some demons in that white-cropped head.

#5 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10233 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 01:21 PM

View PostLFC, on 18 May 2017 - 12:56 PM, said:

That's why he can't trust himself to have dinner with a woman if his wife isn't present. Yeah, there's some demons in that white-cropped head.

There are generally demons in most outspoken fundies' psychies. See the generally twisted violent/sexual scenarios they spout about what should happen to those who don't believe as they do, and how no atheist should complain because if you deny god you must want or tolerate rape and torture.

Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#6 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5657 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 01:31 PM

View PostLFC, on 18 May 2017 - 12:56 PM, said:

Really I don't see much room between Pence's self imposed rules about women and the more extreme rules that certain Arabic communities impose on women. Apparently women are temptresses only thinking about sex and men must make rules about conduct so that men aren't tempted. It seems a poor reflection on men to suggest that men are powerless in the face of women unless women are hidden and subjugated. I've never understood that thinking.

#7 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9558 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 18 May 2017 - 01:34 PM

View Postgolden_valley, on 18 May 2017 - 12:39 PM, said:

When it comes to women his head is not screwed on straight.

On the contrary -- straight backwards.

Google "periods for pence."
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#8 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9558 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 01:35 PM

View Postgolden_valley, on 18 May 2017 - 01:31 PM, said:

I've never understood that thinking.

Really? If you reject the hypothesis that our ancestors were idiots and unable to imagine the consequences of their actions, then you are left with the conclusion that they intended the obvious consequences.

Hmmmm ...
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#9 gmat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3340 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 01:43 PM

As soon as the number of Senators willing to back Trump's play drops below 34, Pence will be Prez.

#10 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5657 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 01:45 PM

View Postgmat, on 18 May 2017 - 01:43 PM, said:

As soon as the number of Senators willing to back Trump's play drops below 34, Pence will be Prez.

All options are bad...we are screwed.

#11 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10233 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 01:55 PM

View Postgolden_valley, on 18 May 2017 - 01:31 PM, said:

Really I don't see much room between Pence's self imposed rules about women and the more extreme rules that certain Arabic communities impose on women. Apparently women are temptresses only thinking about sex and men must make rules about conduct so that men aren't tempted. It seems a poor reflection on men to suggest that men are powerless in the face of women unless women are hidden and subjugated. I've never understood that thinking.

It absolves men of any guilt for leering or assaulting women, and leaves women needing the protection of a male "owner", be it father, brother or husband. Even if the "owner" abuses the woman, she has no recourse. Pretty clear setup in most cases.

Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#12 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28143 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 18 May 2017 - 02:25 PM

View PostProgressive whisperer, on 18 May 2017 - 01:55 PM, said:

It absolves men of any guilt for leering or assaulting women, and leaves women needing the protection of a male "owner", be it father, brother or husband. Even if the "owner" abuses the woman, she has no recourse. Pretty clear setup in most cases.

Same reason Eve was stuck with "original sin." The movie Dogma summarized it (from 0:25 to 1:33) pretty well.

#13 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28143 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 18 May 2017 - 08:46 PM

Didn't read it all yet but here's a piece about Pence in Rolling Stone from back in January.

During my travels across the self-proclaimed Crossroads of America, I learned that Mike Pence had once paid his mortgage with campaign funds, dragged his feet during an HIV epidemic and a lead-poisoning outbreak, signed an anti-gay-rights bill that nearly cost Indiana millions of dollars, lost his mind on national TV with George Stephanopoulos, and turned away Syrian refugees in an unconstitutional ploy laughed out of federal court. And he ended his gubernatorial term unpopular enough that his re-election bid in a Republican state seemed dicey at best.

#14 Rue Bella

Emerging from a state of cryogenic denial

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7840 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:35 PM

View PostProgressive whisperer, on 18 May 2017 - 01:55 PM, said:

And women bear some of the responsibility for attracting the leer of men if they dress provocatively or stylish, or wear too much make up or wear their hair more elaborate than plain, and often long. Remember how Kim Davis and Mrs Duggar look? I have a very religious friend who dresses that way exactly too, and for that reason. Must not tempt those week-willed men.
What is wrong with these people? ~ PG

No longer politically correct

#15 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13065 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 11:02 PM

Or are seen in public as female.
Pray for Trump: Psalm 109:8

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#16 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9558 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:12 AM

View PostRue Bella, on 18 May 2017 - 10:35 PM, said:

Remember how Kim Davis and Mrs Duggar look?

No, and I'm trying to keep it that way.
— Nate Silver

#17 indy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9101 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 06:37 AM

What's the over/under on the number of days until Pence says he doesn't recall ever meeting Trump?

#18 Probabilistic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2130 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 08:45 AM

I have been thinking about this in the last week or so and it came up last night during Bill Maher's show.

Is it better for the country to have Pence replace Trump as quickly as possible given the damage Trump is inflicting on the country and the world? What do you guys think?

I'm not too sure about the proposition: as bad as Pence is he's still within the bounds of normal Republican repugnance and hypocrisy and more desirable than Trump.

Yes, he may not grab pussy (come to think of it he does in a more intrusive manner), or spill secrets to adversaries, or have utter incoherence in policies, and will speak with pseudo earnestness that comes only to extra virgin Christians, he is no less dangerous than Trump. Where as Trump is incompetent and can't pass anything through the legislature, Pence might. He'll actually render the long term damage that Trump promises.

On a side note Maher is going to lose his 100 rouble bet. Trump will not be out of office by Christmas 2017.

#19 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13079 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 20 May 2017 - 08:51 AM

Precisely what many of us have been saying one way or another. Keep the pot bubbling until the midterms, win the House, and then block impeachment. And run investigations into Issa, Chavetz, Nunes, Pence etc. etc, instead...
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."-- Winston Churchill
"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices" Voltaire

#20 Probabilistic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2130 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 09:00 AM

View PostTraveler, on 20 May 2017 - 08:51 AM, said:

Precisely what many of us have been saying one way or another. Keep the pot bubbling until the midterms, win the House, and then block impeachment. And run investigations into Issa, Chavetz, Nunes, Pence etc. etc, instead...

Be careful though. Republicans, and I mean the people who vote for them, have an extra entitlement to victimhood. They're par excellence.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users