7 replies to this topic

#1 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29781 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 03 May 2017 - 02:16 PM

I only read the article once but it's certainly interesting. I have serious doubts about the Dems being able to sell it since I have serious doubts about the Dems being able to sell much of anything but some of the fundamental ideas seem sound. My big question is, of course, are they workable?

Two weeks after the election, Minority Leader Chuck Schumer summed up why he thought Democrats got clobbered at the ballot box: “We did not have a strong, bold economic message.”

That problem appears to have been particularly acute in the Rust Belt, where unexpected Democratic losses in Michigan, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, and Ohio helped put Donald Trump into the White House.

Sen. Sherrod Brown of Ohio is offering one corrective vision for what Democrats hoping to retake the Midwest should do. Brown, 64, is already being written about as a 2020 presidential contender. He’s widely regarded as one of the caucus’s most left-wing members, but also speaks with the credibility of having won multiple statewide elections in purple territory by big margins.

And earlier this congressional session, Brown released a detailed, 77-page plan detailing a suite of economic policy proposals that suggest what his “economic populism” would look like for Democrats. His ideas include greater bargaining rights for union workers, a $15 minimum wage, a crackdown on employers who treat full-time workers as independent contractors, and a “Benefits Bank” for workers whose employers don’t save for retirement.

None of these have any chance of being implemented with a Republican-controlled congress and White House. But in an interview on Tuesday, the Ohio senator detailed one of his most ambitious proposals — a “Corporate Freeloader Fee” that would penalize large corporations that pay their workers less than $24,000, while also giving tax breaks to those businesses that pay above a living wage and offer retirement and medical coverage.

“Corporations that pay good wages, take care of health benefits for their employees, those whose employees don’t have to rely on the social safety net — they should get a lower tax rate than those companies who are paying very low wages,” Brown said in an interview.

I haven't gotten a chance to read it but here's a link to the entire 77 page plan.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#2 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13288 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 03 May 2017 - 02:24 PM

Damn LFC, do you ever get any work done?
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."-- Winston Churchill
"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices" Voltaire

#3 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29781 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 03 May 2017 - 04:12 PM

View PostTraveler, on 03 May 2017 - 02:24 PM, said:

Damn LFC, do you ever get any work done?

I'm actually taking multiple mini-breaks from some mind-numbingly dull stuff I'm slogging through right now. I tend to read and post a lot less when I'm designing new software, a.k.a. the fun stuff.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#4 Rabiner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3723 posts
  • LocationCulver City, CA

Posted 03 May 2017 - 07:39 PM

Why does their plan have to be so damn complex. Keep it simple stupid.
Government in particular has an obligation to dismiss any employee who claims a right to discriminate against citizens. - Garret Epps

#5 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9934 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 04 May 2017 - 07:49 AM

What I don't see is anything about infrastructure. We're going to have to do it unless we just accept becoming a third-world disaster, and digging in and repairing the transportation, water, electrical (etc.) infrastructure that makes the USA productive will have both short-term (jobs) and long-term (productivity) benefits that (unlike tax cuts) really do spread through the whole population.
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#6 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10233 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 08:05 AM

View PostRabiner, on 03 May 2017 - 07:39 PM, said:

Like the current tax reform plan?

Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#7 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29781 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 04 May 2017 - 09:35 AM

View PostRabiner, on 03 May 2017 - 07:39 PM, said:

"Who knew improving the entirety of the American economy for the middle class against vast, entrenched interests could be so hard? Nobody knew! "

#8 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9934 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 04 May 2017 - 09:54 AM

View PostProgressive whisperer, on 04 May 2017 - 08:05 AM, said:

Like the current tax reform plan?

If you want simple tax reform plans, there are some very simple ones:
  • Treat all income equally, regardless of source.
  • A surtax on capital income in return for zeroing out all corporate income tax.
  • Except for costs directly incurred generating income, get rid of all deductions.
  • Where deductions are currently used as tax incentives, replace them with credits. This could be done at a revenue-neutral exchange rate as needed for passage [1].
  • The financial transaction tax is invisible to everyday taxpayers and (if not given complex loopholes) just about everyone else. For most of us, it's orders of magnitude smaller than current fees.
Note that these are not facially progressive but do have that effect.

[1] E.g. the current home interest deduction being a much greater subsidy to the well-off than to the less-so.
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users