1 reply to this topic

#1 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15528 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 20 April 2017 - 04:31 PM

So it's not just individual Congress critters. And access is relatively cheap! (Access. Remember access? The thing that Hillary Clinton supposedly sold out for even though there was no evidence that she actually did?)

If you’re willing to pony up $5,000 a year, you’ll be given monthly briefings with Republican House leadership staff, as well as receptions with legislators’ own chiefs of staff.

Leaked documents obtained by The Intercept show that both the National Republican Senatorial Committee and the National Republican Congressional Committee are selling their donors regular access to top congressional staff members in exchange for making regular annual donations.

The Intercept notes that while the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee offered something similar in 2013 with its “Women on the Hill Dinner” that asked for $1,000 donations in exchange for access to Senate chiefs of staff, the new GOP effort “is more structured, making the exchange of money for meetings with a variety of congressional staffers an official element of the party’s fundraising apparatus.”

Michael Beckel, the research manager at campaign finance reform organization IssueOne, tells The Intercept that the new GOP program amounts to “blatant buying and selling of access,” while noting that “Congressional staffers, paid by the taxpayers, don’t have carte blanche ability to participate in political fundraising.”

Similarly, Public Citizen ethics expert Craig Holman tells the publication that “this is the first time I have heard of party fundraisers based on pay-for-access to congressional staff.”

As I keep saying, if the right-wingers and Republicans (but I repeat myself) accuse somebody else of doing something, you can be pretty damn sure that they are already doing it themselves. The projection is strong with these ones.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"Didn't vote for Hillary Clinton? Then you own [insert horrible act here]."

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

#2 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10853 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:45 AM

That is a damn good deal. Only $5k?
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."-- Winston Churchill
"We never threaten anyone. We just explain the situation." Russian spokesman

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users