#1 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15952 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 19 April 2017 - 04:17 PM

I wonder who bought him?

Rep. Jason Chaffetz (R-UT), the powerful head of the House Oversight Committee, will not seek reelection in 2018.

A report from BuzzFeed on Wednesday morning claimed that Chaffetz will step down at the end of his term in Congress next year. Shortly after BuzzFeed’s report posted, Chaffetz himself confirmed the news on his own Facebook page and said that his decision was an entirely personal one to spend more time closer to his home in Utah.

George W. Bush's former ethics attorney applauds the move.

Richard Painter, President George W. Bush’s former ethics attorney, celebrated the announcement that Rep. Jason Chaffetz (R-UT) would not be seeking reelection in 2018.

“Good decision Rep. Chaffetz. If you can’t do a job right, quit and do something else,” Painter said on Twitter Wednesday.

Then he took it a bit further to criticize president Donald Trump along with Chaffetz: “And you, Mr. President?”

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"Didn't vote for Hillary Clinton? Then you own [insert horrible act here]."

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

#2 Practical Girl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7468 posts
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 19 April 2017 - 04:54 PM

I wonder who didn't buy him...
Every woman needs a blowtorch.
---Julia Child

--- On September 17, 1787, as Benjamin Franklin was leaving the deliberations of the Constitutional Convention, at Independence Hall, in Philadelphia, a woman called out to him, saying, “Well, Doctor, what have we got, a republic or a monarchy?”
“A republic,” Franklin said, “if you can keep it.”

#3 Rue Bella

Emerging from a state of cryogenic denial

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6966 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 19 April 2017 - 04:58 PM

He's only 50. Maybe he's taking time off to get ready to run as Trump's replacement.
What is wrong with these people? ~ PG

No longer politically correct

#4 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3391 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:07 PM

Someone is speculating that he wants to ready himself to run for governor in 2020 so he'd better stay out of Trumpian entanglement.

ETA running for gov in 2020

#5 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9452 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 09:09 PM

As a plus he'll get away from being eviscerated at the town hall meetings.
"What the Nazis were doing was not describing what was true, but what would have to be true to justify what they planned to do next." — Hannah Arendt in her book The Origins of Totalitarianism

"No nation is permitted to live in ignorance with impunity." Thomas Jefferson: Virginia Board of Visitors Minutes, 1821

“Nixon and his successors hid behind ideology and obscured the contradictions by pursuing a strategy I would call 'no-fault bigotry.'” — William Greider

“It’s not ‘Nation Building’, We are Assisting them in Building their Nation” — Marco Rubio on Iraq

“I should apologize for all of my stories that you wished were true and turned out not to be.” — Andy Borowitz

“Republicans want smaller government for the same reason that crooks want fewer cops: it's easier to get away with murder.” — James Carville

"It is a truism that almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so, and will follow it by suppressing opposition, subverting all education to seize early the minds of the young, and by killing, locking up, or driving underground all heretics." — Robert A. Heinlein, Postscript, Revolt in 2100

"As long you have racism, as long as you have Islamophobia, as long as you have rampant misogyny, you're going to have the wellsprings of fascist sensibility." Chris Vials

#6 Rich T Bikkies

Trainee Basil Fawlty. Practising Victor Meldrew

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3020 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, UK

Posted 20 April 2017 - 04:01 AM

View PostPractical Girl, on 19 April 2017 - 04:54 PM, said:

I wonder who didn't buy him...

I wonder who's decided not to keep up the instalments?
Reality is a hallucination caused by alcohol deprivation.

Only Satan can rebuke sin. The righteous don't know enough.

God is not dead. He was merely voted out of office.

You can do anything with anybody if you just save them the trouble of thinking.

#7 indy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7967 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 01:10 PM

Now there is a rumor he will vacate the office early. No reason, I'm sure. Nothing to see here.

#8 Beelzebuddy

Convenient Target of Irrational Fears

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  • LocationAustin

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:40 PM

https://www.palmerre...stigation/2375/

According to a former Jason Chaffetz staffer, Chaffetz is also the subject of an ongoing investigation for campaign finance fraud. A friend of Chaffetz at FBI told him the investigation could not be kept quiet for much longer, that Intel committee would soon find info on him...Some of his current staffers may be implicated. Per the former Chaffetz staffer, this is one of the reasons they resigned. The former staffer also says Chaffetz’s staff is in panic mode.

My own best guess at this point is that the “campaign finance fraud” described above is actually illegal donations from Russia, and that Russia has since been using this secret to blackmail Chaffetz into making sure his House Oversight Committee didn’t seriously investigate the Trump-Russia scandal.

Fear Sells!

Cui bono?

#9 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10975 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:59 PM

Interesting. I wonder how much veracity can be attributed to this source though. Would love to be proven wrong.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."-- Winston Churchill
"We never threaten anyone. We just explain the situation." Russian spokesman

#10 indy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7967 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 01:51 PM

Yeah, I'm not buying the Russia thing until there is proof. Seems a lot like wishful thinking. The campaign finance thing seems plausible. He seems like a pretty craven and power hungry fellow. I don't think he just walked away.

#11 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10975 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 21 April 2017 - 01:56 PM

We don't even smell much smoke yet. Let alone see a fire.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."-- Winston Churchill

#12 Beelzebuddy

Convenient Target of Irrational Fears

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  • LocationAustin

Posted 21 April 2017 - 02:30 PM

Ya that site didn't have sourcing - pure scuttlebutt as far as I can tell. I would say that the resignation announcement is some smoke though.
Fear Sells!

Cui bono?

#13 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15952 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 21 April 2017 - 04:00 PM

View PostBeelzebuddy, on 21 April 2017 - 02:30 PM, said:

Ya that site didn't have sourcing - pure scuttlebutt as far as I can tell. I would say that the resignation announcement is some smoke though.

Not running for reelection isn't smoke. Announcing that just 4 months into your term is a bit wispy. Outa' here before the first year of the term is up? That's pretty smoky.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"Didn't vote for Hillary Clinton? Then you own [insert horrible act here]."

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

#14 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10975 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 22 April 2017 - 11:31 AM

Yup, it is smokey indeed from a motivation standpoint. Which would explain why Assad wouldn't gas his people. Jes sayin.

To me smoke is a definite linkage, like that of all the tRumpistas during the election. I am pretty sure we will see it here eventually, but that source was hearsay. So far.

#15 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10975 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 25 April 2017 - 10:21 AM

Here is a wonderful fluff piece on him. Puked before I got three paras in. I apologize for bringing this fare to our table.

#16 andydp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2331 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY near Albany

Posted 25 April 2017 - 10:26 AM

View PostBeelzebuddy, on 21 April 2017 - 02:30 PM, said:

There was a Rep from the Buffalo NY area who resigned about "10 minutes" after some story surfaced that was not on level with a "family values" kind of bio. Looked like something really "minor" but it was simply amazing the guy quit almost immediately after the ONE disclosure. This was just after Weiner's BS. At work we were commenting there HAD to be a lot more to this story.

ETA: Just dug it up:

Rep. Christopher Lee resigned from office Wednesday just hours after a report claimed the married Republican congressman sent a shirtless photo of himself to a woman on Craigslist.

http://www.foxnews.c...craigslist.html
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.

Rev Martin Luther King Jr.

Obamacare took my guns away and put me in a FEMA reeducation camp.

Anonymous

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users