Yuval Noah Harari: ‘Homo sapiens as we know them will disappear in a century or so’

3 replies to this topic

#1 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10546 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 09:00 PM

https://www.theguard...anity?CMP=fb_gu
"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

#2 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3963 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 19 March 2017 - 09:39 PM

Thanks for this. I'm going to download his book.

#3 drdredel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2340 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 12:55 PM

Yeah, I heard him on Sam Harris' podcast this week and then started reading his book. Unfortunately, his thesis is reasonably shallow (even as it's extremely thought provoking). So - at least for the moment, his book isn't saying anything that I didn't hear him lay out in the hour he talked to Sam, but it's still worth consideration.
The Blind have lost their sense of "sight";
The Deaf have lost their sense of "hearing";
Republicans have lost their sense of "common".

#4 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10546 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 02:10 PM

View Postdrdredel, on 22 March 2017 - 12:55 PM, said:

Yeah, I heard him on Sam Harris' podcast this week and then started reading his book. Unfortunately, his thesis is reasonably shallow (even as it's extremely thought provoking). So - at least for the moment, his book isn't saying anything that I didn't hear him lay out in the hour he talked to Sam, but it's still worth consideration.

I have not had the chance to read it, but your take sounds close to what I expected.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users