5 replies to this topic

#1 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10123 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 10:05 AM

http://www.npr.org/s...s-on-the-fringe

In recent years, Spain has had a devastating economic crash, an influx of migrants and corruption scandals that left people fed up with politicians. All these factors might make Spain fertile ground for the sort of right-wing, anti-immigrant political parties gaining ground in other parts of Europe. But unlike much of the continent, Spain has no such far-right movement.

Why?

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

#2 Beelzebuddy

Convenient Target of Irrational Fears

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 839 posts
  • LocationAustin

Posted 16 March 2017 - 11:37 AM

Why?

Franco?
Fear Sells!

Cui bono?

#3 Rich T Bikkies

Trainee Basil Fawlty. Practising Victor Meldrew

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3192 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, UK

Posted 16 March 2017 - 03:40 PM

Hm, yes. Aversion therapy!
Reality is a hallucination caused by alcohol deprivation.

Only Satan can rebuke sin. The righteous don't know enough.

God is not dead. He was merely voted out of office.

You can do anything with anybody if you just save them the trouble of thinking.

#4 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3697 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 16 March 2017 - 04:07 PM

I was Barcelona just before the election that sought to separate Catalan from the rest of Spain and learned a bit about why that area seeks separation. Catalan was its own country with its own language. Maybe that sort of division (I think it exists in Basque territory too) keeps people from a Make Spain Great Again attitude.

#5 nuser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 05:09 PM

Some of these refugees -be it Spain or Denmark - live in another century- raping women children and yes even sheep
Is considered normal.What we are experiencing is the dark ages versus a somewhat enlightened -stress somewhat-
Society.Oh,cutting people's head off is a chinch! Afro American is an entirely different matter seeing they have been here
Since formation of this country ,they are simply put Americans, good or bad!

#6 baw1064

formerly of the public sector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3544 posts
  • LocationEarthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanos--oh my!

Posted 16 March 2017 - 11:26 PM

View Postgolden_valley, on 16 March 2017 - 04:07 PM, said:

I was Barcelona just before the election that sought to separate Catalan from the rest of Spain and learned a bit about why that area seeks separation. Catalan was its own country with its own language. Maybe that sort of division (I think it exists in Basque territory too) keeps people from a Make Spain Great Again attitude.

And both Catalonia and the Basque Country found themselves on the wrong side of the Civil War, and had their languages effectively banned under Franco. Which, among other things, created an endemic terrorist movement among in the Basque Country, whose one (arguably) justifiable act was to assassinate Franco's designated successor a couple years before Franco's death, making the reinstatement of democracy pretty much inevitable.
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” --Dr. Seuss

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users