3551 replies to this topic

#3481 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28548 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 05 June 2019 - 10:41 AM

The DOJ says they're willing to talk about not obstructing justice too much if Barr isn't held in contempt for obstructing justice. The lawlessness of the top agency in charge of enforcing the law continues.

The Department of Justice is willing to take up House Judiciary Committee’s offer to reopen negotiations around Congress seeing the full special counsel report — but with one major condition.

In a letter to the committee Chairman Jerry Nadler (D-NY) Tuesday, the Department said it would only do so if his committee reverses its vote recommending that Attorney General Bill Barr be held in contempt.

Barr is slated to face a contempt vote on the House floor next week.

The committee subpoenaed an unredacted version of special counsel Robert Mueller’s report, as well as its underlying materials, in April and, when Barr didn’t comply, held a committee contempt vote for Barr in early May.

Nadler, nonetheless, took another stab at getting the Justice Department back to the negotiating table with offers to limit the group of lawmakers with access to the materials and to limit what underlying materials they see. The Department in its letter Tuesday welcomed the narrowing of demands, but said it would only resume the negotiations if the committee “takes reasonable steps to restore the status quo ante mooting its May 8 vote and removing any threat of an imminent vote by the House of Representatives to hold the Attorney General in contempt.”

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#3482 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28548 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 05 June 2019 - 12:15 PM

View PostLFC, on 04 June 2019 - 01:14 PM, said:

Manafort is being sent to Rikers Island, not some kinder, gentler minimum security prison.

Here's a description of what Manafort can expect from a person who worked there. I suspect he'll soon be threatening Trump with spilling his guts if he doesn't get a pardon ASAP.

I saw many high-profile inmates come through the jails, where they were routinely held in protective custody for their own safety. Reassuring as this may sound,“PC” is actually a double-edged sword: these inmates are well protected from everyday jailhouse violence, but to ensure this safety they are segregated from the general population and confined to a cell where their existence becomes tantamount to solitary confinement.

As former acting chief of mental health in the solitary confinement unit, I have seen firsthand just how grim this can be, and how easily people can unravel under its duress. Manafort will likely face 23 hours a day in a cell the size of a parking space, furnished with a cot, a footlocker, a tiny metal sink and toilet. There will be no desks or phones, like he boasted about as part of his “VIP” treatment in a previous lock-up. Food will be passed on a tray through a flap in the cell door. A small mesh-covered window will transform any outside sunshine into grayness.

Depending on which jail he is assigned to—a location which will be shrouded in secrecy—he might glimpse a few passing seagulls, but will likely see nothing more than the side of another jail.

And then, there’s the heat. Manafort has the misfortune of arriving on the damp, muggy island just as the mercury is creeping up. The idea of air-conditioning on Rikers is laughable, and the old brick buildings heat up like ovens. As stifling as the jails become, nowhere is the misery greater than in the closed cells—solitary confinement and protective custody.

I well remember the sight and sounds of the frantic occupants inside these cells—of sweaty palms sliding down the little plexiglas windows, voices crying out, “Help, help, please—we’re dying in here.” I requested that they receive pitchers of ice water. Request denied. The tiny sinks with their dribbles of lukewarm water would have to suffice.

At Rikers Island, the Mental Health Department was a constant presence in the solitary unit. We had a saying: “If they had no mental health issues before they entered solitary, they do now!” Like so many others in isolation, Manafort will inevitably struggle with depression, sleeplessness, and anxiety. Hopefully, he will get the support he needs to survive it.

Within the next 10 years, the scandal-plagued Rikers Island is slated to finally be closed. It will be replaced with modern and more humane borough-based facilities. Unfortunately, the closure will not come in time for Manafort.

In the meantime, like every other inmate on Rikers, the best he can hope for is that his cases will resolve quickly.

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#3483 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13130 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 06 June 2019 - 10:50 AM

that is indeed cruel and inhuman. Surprised that the ACLU hasnt made a beef on this.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."-- Winston Churchill
"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices" Voltaire

#3484 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28548 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 06 June 2019 - 01:42 PM

View PostTraveler, on 06 June 2019 - 10:50 AM, said:

that is indeed cruel and inhuman. Surprised that the ACLU hasnt made a beef on this.

Too many other things ahead of it. Joe Arpaio's death prisons certainly qualify as a higher priority. Also as the article notes Rikers is slated to be closed in the next decade, but that doesn't mean that it won't continue to be used in the meantime.

#3485 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28548 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 07 June 2019 - 10:38 AM

More is being revealed about just how much Flynn lied about his and the Trump campaign's contacts with Russia.

The Justice Department filed in court Thursday a less redacted version of the FBI’s notes recapping a key January 2017 interview at the White House with then-National Security Adviser Michael Flynn.

The documents shed more light on the extent to which Flynn mischaracterized and minimized his conversations with Russia’s then-ambassador to the United States, Sergey Kislyak, between 2015 and Flynn’s ouster from the Trump administration in February 2017.

In one conversation, Flynn recalls calling Kislyak after the 2016 death of former Russian intelligence chief Igor Sergun to express his condolences. Sergun, Flynn told the FBI, was “someone the U.S. could work with.”

The less redacted documents show Flynn taking pot shots at the Obama administration for failing to cultivate relationships with nations like Russia, claiming that lack of contact prompted the Trump transition to break protocol and hold meetings with foreign government emissaries while Barack Obama was still in office.

One such meeting was a November 2016 meeting at Trump Tower between Kislyak, Flynn and Trump son-in-law Jared Kushner, which Flynn told the FBI was “relatively sensitive.”

Flynn also described a December 2016 phone conversation he had with Kislyak while vacationing in the Dominican Republic, which he falsely claimed was focused on arranging a call between Trump and President Vladimir Putin. Flynn and Kislyak actually discussed U.S. sanctions imposed against Russia during that call.

#3486 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28548 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 13 June 2019 - 09:33 AM

Trump just admitted that he's perfectly willing to collude with foreign governments again. Expect Russia, Saudi Arabia, and Israel (if Netanyahu or somebody like him is in power) to be part of the Trump campaign.

In a new interview released this afternoon by ABC News, President Trump tells George Stephanopoulos that he’d take information from a foreign government if one offered dirt on his 2020 opponent. “I think you might want to listen, there isn’t anything wrong with listening.”

President Trump rejected the idea that such foreign government interventions amounted to election interference. “It’s not an interference, they have information — I think I’d take it. If I thought there was something wrong, I’d go maybe to the FBI — if I thought there was something wrong. But when somebody comes up with oppo research, right, they come up with oppo research, ‘oh let’s call the FBI.’ The FBI doesn’t have enough agents to take care of it. When you go and talk, honestly, to congressman, they all do it, they always have, and that’s the way it is. It’s called oppo research.”

When Stephanopoulos told Trump his own FBI Director, Christopher Wray, said he should contact the FBI if a foreign government approached him with information about a political opponent, Trump said Wray was wrong. “I’ll tell you what, I’ve seen a lot of things over my life. I don’t think in my whole life I’ve ever called the FBI. In my whole life. You don’t call the FBI. You throw somebody out of your office, you do whatever you do,” Trump continued. “Oh, give me a break – life doesn’t work that way.”

#3487 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28548 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 13 June 2019 - 09:36 AM

Trump doubled down on his admission that he'd collude with foreign governments without informing our intelligence agencies. Welcome to the most lawless, unpatriotic presidency in our history.

After admitting he probably wouldn’t call the FBI if a foreign entity offered him dirt on a political opponent in 2020, President Trump still doesn’t see what the big deal is.

During a particularly frenzied morning on Twitter, President Trump sarcastically questioned whether he needed to starting calling the FBI every time he met with the Queen of England and other world leaders, a requirement for his job as the leader of the free world.

….call the FBI about these calls and meetings? How ridiculous! I would never be trusted again. With that being said, my full answer is rarely played by the Fake News Media. They purposely leave out the part that matters.

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) June 13, 2019

He then unleashed on Sen. Mark Warner (D-VA) and Rep. Adam Schiff (D-CA) and claimed the entire Russia probe was launched as an “insurance policy” in case Hillary Clinton lost to him.

#3488 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28548 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 13 June 2019 - 09:40 AM

Team Trumpsucker is trying to pull him back from his publicly stated willingness to collude with foreign governments. (If I sound repetitive that's because it's intentional. Every time some Trumpsucker tries to say "no collusion" I'm going to shove this right up their ... errrrr ... nose.)

Even President Donald Trump’s most dependable yes men are struggling to spin his comments on accepting foreign “oppo research” and not telling the FBI.

The comments came from clips of an interview Trump did on ABC that aired in part Wednesday night.

Brian Kilmeade, a “Fox and Friends” host, called on Trump to clean up the comments.

“You don’t want a foreign government or foreign entity giving you information because they will want something back,” he said Thursday morning. “If anybody knows that it is the President. There is no free lunch. If someone wants information they want influence. I think the President’s got to to clarify that…He opened himself wide up to attacks.”

There are more reax but I'd like to note Kilmeade's reasoning to Trump for not doing this. It has nothing to do with democracy, patriotism, morality (snicker), or anything like that. It's because it might not be practical.

#3489 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9677 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 13 June 2019 - 09:51 AM

View PostLFC, on 13 June 2019 - 09:40 AM, said:

You don’t want a foreign government or foreign entity giving you information because they will want something back,” he said Thursday morning. “If anybody knows that it is the President. There is no free lunch. If someone wants information they want influence. I think the President’s got to to clarify that…He opened himself wide up to attacks.

Funny how they don't follow that to its conclusion, isn't it?
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#3490 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 13 June 2019 - 10:22 AM

Everybody who's ever watched a gangster or Mafia movie knows you don't rat to the Feds. Trump didn't and won't rat. The problem is he's in the wrong kind of movie.

#3491 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28548 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 13 June 2019 - 10:55 AM

Hannity reacts by screeching at ABC for its "genius setup." He's smart enough to know that his boy can't be left alone to say things out loud.

Fox News host Sean Hannity led his primetime show Wednesday night by not only defending President Trump saying he’d take foreign dirt on a 2020 candidate if it were offered, but also insisting that ABC’s George Stephanopoulos had set the president up in order to create a media outrage cycle.

The conservative Fox star, who has been called the White House shadow chief of staff, groused that “Democrats and their friends in the media are still fixated on one issue and one only—raged psychosis against the president.”

Turning to Stephanopoulos’ interview, Hannity told his viewers that they needed to see this “amazing setup,” playing a clip of Trump saying “there’s nothing wrong with listening” if foreign figures offer information about a political opponent and that he’d “want to hear it” if another country called.

“This is what’s fascinating—let’s be very clear,” Hannity reacted. “You might want to listen. Listening is much different than, let’s see, lying, spying, and paying for Russian lies and spreading it through the media via Deep State operatives and using it as a basis for a FISA warrant.”

After complaining that the media was not outraged over Hillary Clinton “paying for Russian lies” and former FBI Director James Comey supposedly using “unverifiable data from Russia to spy on the Trump campaign,” the pro-Trump host proceeded to explain his theory about the interview being a setup.

“This will all get another round of fake, phony, moral selective outrage over that interview but it’s the perfect setup because if they are outraged about that and how can you not be outraged over what I just said?” Hannity asked. “That’s all to be expected.”

“In many ways, that was a genius setup because the media mob will fall right into his trap breathlessly spewing fake, phony outrage over a non-story for days,” he added. “We’ll be showing you the tape this time tomorrow night, ignoring the real abuse of power that took place in 2016 and the real Russian dossier that was bought and paid for and then used as a basis to spy on the Trump campaign.”

#3492 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13130 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 13 June 2019 - 11:49 AM

Another bot.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."-- Winston Churchill
"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices" Voltaire

#3493 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28548 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 13 June 2019 - 11:50 AM

Mark Hamill compares Trump to our early presidents.

Hours after an interview aired in which Trump said he would “listen” if a foreign nation offered dirt on a political rival, the “Star Wars” icon offered up the words of a Founding Father in response:

John Adams wrote Thomas Jefferson on December 6, 1787, about American elections, “You are apprehensive of foreign interference, intrigue & influence. So am I.”

Our illegitimate “President” today: “Oh, give me a break- life doesn’t work that way.” #EmbarrassmentInChief https://t.co/zyRyOMYgtI

— Mark Hamill (@HamillHimself) June 13, 2019

Trump on Wednesday said “there’s nothing wrong with listening” if a foreign power offers intel on a political rival.

#3494 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28548 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 13 June 2019 - 02:23 PM

Oh, Lindsey. All those years in Congress and you still don't know the difference between a foreign government and a foreign private citizen.

Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC) compared President Donald Trump’s invitation for foreign campaign assistance to opposition research conducted by a former British spy, and he was roasted online.

The South Carolina Republican agreed public officials should notify the FBI and reject any offer for campaign assistance from a foreign government, but he accused Democrats of doing the same thing during the 2016 election.

#3495 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28548 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 13 June 2019 - 03:01 PM

Pelosi is poking Trump again. I expect him to explode in a Trumper Twitter Tantrum™ shortly.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) said Thursday that it was “sad” the president can’t understand the difference between right and wrong. She said it’s clear that he believes the Constitution doesn’t apply to him.

The moment came after President Donald Trump said in an ABC interview with George Stephanopoulos that the FBI was “wrong” to claim that candidates should report it if a foreign entity offers them dirt on an opponent during an election. The president has tried to turn it around to say that he was talking about meeting with foreign officials.

She recalled the late Rep. Tom Downey (D-NY) who was working with Al Gore and turned a stolen debate briefing book over to the FBI.

“He picked it up and sent it to the FBI. This isn’t even foreign governments,” she recalled. “This isn’t even foreign governments. There’s a sense of decency about fruit from the forbidden tree. Ill-gotten gain about how — then Gov. Bush would have conducted that debate. This is so — and just by — your question, with all due respect, you make it sound as if it could be a common thing. It’s not.”

She noted that what Trump said in his ABC interview revealed his values and ethics.

“What the president said last night shows clearly once again over and over again that he does not know the difference between right and wrong. That’s probably the nicest thing I can say about him,” she said. “If he doesn’t know the difference, it could explain some of his ridiculous behavior. And now to invite further involvement of foreign governments into our election.”

She reinforced that the Russian meddling was an attack on the United States.

“There was an assault on our democracy. An assault on our country that has been clearly documented by the intelligence community,” Pelosi continued. “And the president of the United States said coming to the defense of our democracy has said it’s a hoax. This is beyond — it’s really — there’s no sense of — what’s the word I want to find? Any ethical sense that informs his comments and his thinking.”

“We’re going to get the truth for the American people so they can know what the attack is on our country, what the president refused to do about it, and what he engaged in to cover up what was done,” Pelosi pledged.

#3496 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28548 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 13 June 2019 - 03:04 PM

Rep. Kevin McCarthy (R-LowIQville) tries to turn the tables on the Dems and blows it completely. Lies, lies, lies.

The leader of the Republican caucus in the House of Representatives on Thursday tried to deflect from President Donald Trump’s recent comments about foreign election meddling by attacking Democrats over a controversial intelligence document.

But it was quickly pointed out that the salacious dossier, which accused Donald Trump of having ties to Russia, was first turned over to the FBI by late Senator John McCain (R-AZ).

“Let me be clear. I don’t want to see any foreign government try to interfere in our elections. We should all stand united to ensure integrity in our elections,” House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) said at a press conference, before going on a rant about the unverified intelligence document, which is known as the Steele dossier.

“What I am appalled about which what has happened in our elections. I watched in the last campaign, the Democrat presidential campaign spent $6 million to a foreign entity to travel the world to try to find something. When they could not find it, they made false accusations, salacious accusations at that. Drove this country into a special counsel lasting more than 22 months, using this false information, sending it to the FBI that went and got a FISA court. Then to spy upon Americans and took us through something we should never have to live again.”

“I did not hear the speaker be appalled at that. Or to have a chair of a House Intel committee think that he’s knowingly speaking on a phone to a foreign entity to supply some other false allegations. And what action did he take? Those are the things I’m appalled about that actually did happen,” McCarthy said.

But a reporter pointed out: “John McCain gave the Steele dossier to the FBI.”

“Who paid — no,” McCarthy replied, “what I’m talking about is the Clinton campaign and the DNC spending $6 million creating a false dossier.”

“You’re saying that the DNC made up the entire Steele dossier?” the reporter asked incredulously.

#3497 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28548 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 13 June 2019 - 04:27 PM

Trumpsucker and Faux News guest Andrew McCarthy was called to testify, under oath, by House Republicans. It doesn't sound like he said all of the things they wanted him to say. Oops. I guess the possibility of facing perjury charges focused his mind to bend towards the truth.

Andrew McCarthy has been an aggressive defender of President Donald Trump against the charges brought up by Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation on Fox News and elsewhere. In fact, the former federal prosecutor has been such a fierce advocate for Trump and a purveyor of the right wing’s talking points that Republicans called him before the House Intelligence Committee on Wednesday to testify.

But before the committee and under penalty of perjury, McCarthy actually contradicted several of the GOP’s favorite talking points about the FBI investigation of the Trump campaign, as both John Amato and Kyle Cheney pointed out.

1. He said no one who approved the Carter Page FISA application — which has been the source of outrage on the right — was acting in bad faith.

One of the biggest sources of trumped-up outrage in right-wing media about the Russia investigation has been the surveillance of one-time Trump aide Carter Page, who was actually only surveilled after he left the campaign. (The Mueller report indicates Page has been targeted as a Russian intelligence asset in the past, though he wasn’t charged with any wrongdoing.) This one choice by investigators has been used to suggest that the FBI was on a politically motivated crusade targeting the Trump campaign — possibly in a conspiracy that went up to President Barack Obama.

But on Wednesday, McCarthy admitted that none of this is based in fact. Indeed, he said he doesn’t believe that the FBI agents, DOJ officials, or the judges who approved the surveillance were acting with bad faith — only that they made “mistakes.”

#3498 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28548 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 14 June 2019 - 07:55 AM

Here comes the Trump Two-Step.

President Donald Trump — with a forceful guiding hand from the “Fox and Friends” hosts — tried to clean up his comments on accepting foreign “oppo research” about his political enemies Friday morning.

“I don’t think anybody would present me with anything because they know how much I love the country,” he said of foreign governments offering him intel. “If I don’t listen, you are not going to know. If I thought anything was incorrect or badly stated I’d report it to attorney general, the FBI, I’d report it to law enforcement absolutely.”

He dodged out of a more specific question though, when host Brian Kilmeade presented him with a hypothetical situation of a world leader offering him damaging information on a political opponent in the course of a normal meeting or summit.

“The President of the United States, no matter who it is whether it’s me or anybody else, is in a much different position because I hear things that frankly, good, bad or indifferent that other people don’t hear, just in normal conversation,” Trump replied. “But nobody is going to say bad things to me, they know I’m a very straight player, they know one thing about me: I love the country more than anything.”

And the McConnell Mambo.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) on Thursday evening joined the camp of Republicans who are heartily ignoring the fact that President Trump admitted earlier this week he’d at least listen to dirt on a political opponent if a foreign national gave it to him.

“They just can’t let it go, Laura,” McConnell told Fox News’ Laura Ingraham on Thursday. “I said weeks ago, case closed. We got the Mueller report, the only objective evaluation that will be conducted. … He gets picked at every day over every different aspect of it.”

McConnell then pivoted to what some of his Republican colleagues in Congress have raised when questioned about Trump’s remarks: Democrats can’t stop relitigating the 2016 election.

“But the fundamental point is that they are trying to keep the 2016 election alive and the investigation alive when the American people have heard enough,” he said. “They got the Mueller report, they would like for us to do some business. I would ask the Democrats in the House this: Is there anything you’re willing to do other than harass the President for the next two years? Anything at all?”

The FEC chair makes a statement they didn't think they'd ever have to make.

The chair of the Federal Election Commission took a transparent swipe at President Trump on Thursday evening when she posted a statement outlining the illegality of accepting anything of value from a foreign national in connection with a U.S. election.

“I would not have thought that I needed to say this,” FEC Chair Ellen Weintraub said in a tweet of her statement, which did not name Trump, but was a clear reference to Trump’s recent admission that he’d probably at least listen to a foreign entity that tried to offer him dirt on a political opponent. He also wouldn’t say for sure whether he’d call the FBI if he received information from a foreign national.

“Let me make something 100 percent clear to the American public and anyone running for public office: It is illegal for any person to solicit, accept or receive anything of value from a foreign national in connection with a U.S. election,” she said. “This is not a novel concept. Electoral intervention from foreign governments has been considered unacceptable since the beginning of our nation.”

#3499 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28548 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 14 June 2019 - 12:28 PM

Former White House counsel Don McGahn, despite testifying to Trump's words, actions, and behaviors, still seems determined not to talk about it anymore even though Trump has publicly accused him of perjuring himself to the Special Counsel. Josh Marshall explains why:

Someone asked me this morning how it is that Don McGahn still refuses to testify to Congress even after Donald Trump is literally accusing him of committing a felony by lying under oath in his testimony to the Special Counsel’s Office. One point to note here: no one thinks that the White House can bind McGahn. The White House can arguably give him a rationale, legal reason to refuse to testify. But he’s definitely free to do what he wants. So why is he still doing Trump’s bidding?

The answer is as clear as it is depressing.

First, everyone knows that Trump is lying. Everyone. So there’s no sense that McGahn needs to vindicate his professional reputation by making clear or insisting that his testimony was truthful. There’s no downside because everyone knows Trump is lying.

Second, McGahn is a professional Republican. He’s not a big time lawyer at a white shoe law firm who often works for Republicans or happened to work for Trump. He’s a professional Republican campaign lawyer at the top of his field. His business and career is working for the Republican party. At some level he probably just doesn’t want to testify because as mad as he may be at Trump he still supports what Trump’s doing politically. But the bigger issue is that he probably fears that if he cooperated with House investigators his career would be over. And he’s probably right.

Republicans always fall in line.

#3500 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 14 June 2019 - 12:37 PM

View PostLFC, on 14 June 2019 - 12:28 PM, said:

Former White House counsel Don McGahn, despite testifying to Trump's words, actions, and behaviors, still seems determined not to talk about it anymore even though Trump has publicly accused him of perjuring himself to the Special Counsel. Josh Marshall explains why:

Republicans always fall in line.

And he may be holding out for a judicial appointment as a loyal Federalist Society member/supporter.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users