Russia Investigations

1869 replies to this topic

#1861 gmat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3146 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 05:56 PM

Fun story about the Cohen hearing on Monday and the Hannity revelation. Sounds like a Perry Mason episode.

https://www.cjr.org/...nnity-cohen.php

#1862 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21254 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 19 April 2018 - 11:01 AM

Much like Trump's private use of his "charity" before he was President it appears that he's using the Trump Campaign the same way, something that may very well be illegal under campaign finance laws.

The law firm representing Michael Cohen — which this week fought in court to shield communications between Cohen and President Trump from government investigators — has received payments from President Trump’s re-election campaign.

The payments to the law firm by Trump’s campaign could ultimately complicate any efforts by Robert Mueller’s team to win Cohen’s cooperation in the Russia investigation.

The arrangement could also violate campaign finance laws, if the Trump campaign’s payments cover legal work on the federal probe into Cohen’s financial dealings being conducted by prosecutors with the US Attorney’s office in Manhattan.

Trump’s 2020 campaign paid over $214,000 to McDermott, Will and Emory during the last three months of 2017, FEC records show. The campaign paid the firm an additional $13,000-plus in the first three months of this year.

All three lawyers representing Cohen in the federal probe into his financial dealings work for McDermott. Todd Harrison and Joseph Evans were retained last week after the raid of Cohen’s apartment, hotel room, and office. Stephen Ryan was brought on Monday, but has been representing Cohen in the various Russia investigation since last June.

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#1863 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21254 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 19 April 2018 - 11:04 AM

Meanwhile House Republicans continue to try to run interference. It sounds like they're now setting up Rod Rosenstein to give Trump a read-made excuse to fire him.

House Judiciary Committee Chair Bob Goodlatte (R-VA) plans to subpoena Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein for copies of the memos drafted by ousted FBI James Comey about his interactions with President Donald Trump.

Goodlatte’s plans were first reported by The Hill Wednesday evening, and Rep. Jerrold Nadler (D-NY), the Judiciary Committee’s ranking committee, later confirmed in a statement that Goodlatte informed him of the plans for a subpoena on Wednesday.

“Today, Chairman Goodlatte informed me that he intends to issue a subpoena to the Department of Justice—in this case, to Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein—for former FBI Director James Comey’s memoranda,” Nadler said in a statement. “Although the Majority has shown little or no interest in conducting meaningful oversight of the Trump Administration so far, no matter what the Chairman’s motivations are today, I hope that we will now have an opportunity to review some of the evidence surrounding President Trump’s dismissal of Mr. Comey.”

Goodlatte, along with two other Republican chairmen in the House, sent a letter to Rosenstein last week asking for the memos by Monday, April 16. Rosenstein asked the committee leaders on Monday for more time to assess whether the Justice Department can share the memos given that they are evidence in an ongoing investigation. The committee leaders agreed to give Rosenstein a few more days.

In his statement Wednesday night, Nadler warned that the planned subpoena of Rosenstein may be another effort by House Republicans to undermine the Russia probe by hurting Rosenstein.

“If House Republicans refuse any accommodation short of the Department of Justice handing over custody of these documents—which it cannot do—I fear the Majority will have manufactured an excuse to hold the Deputy Attorney General in contempt of Congress. If they succeed in tarnishing the Deputy Attorney General, perhaps they will have given President Trump the pretext he has sought to replace Mr. Rosenstein with someone willing to do his bidding and end the Special Counsel’s investigation,” Nadler said in the statement.

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#1864 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21254 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 19 April 2018 - 11:40 AM

TPM pulls together Trump, Cohen, Cohen's father-in-law, the tax business, the Russian mob, Ukrainians, and money laundering as does a new book by an investigative reporter that Josh Marshall has followed for decades. This isn't about Russian interference in the election but rather corrupt business dealings going back decades. It's also probably what's been turned over the U.S. and the NY state attorneys, something that must be scaring the shit out of Trump and everybody associated with him. And as we've said multiple times here, if the state nails him then there's no pardon power to be used as a bargaining chip for silence.

My first interest in the whole question of Trump’s ties to Russia began before we had any idea that there was a 2016 subversion and interference campaign. It was about the money. As events unfolded late in 2016 it seemed clear to me that whatever had happened between Trump and Russia in 2016, if anything had, it had to grow out of the Trump-Russia money channel which stretched back at least to the first years of this century. Cohen and Sater were at the center of it. The bizarre “peace plan” caper in February 2017 just confirmed my sense that these two, but especially Cohen, played some critical role. Bold mine.

And yet I have to confess that as the Trump/Russia story and then the Special Counsel probe moved forward I began to wonder whether, despite all the indications, the Cohen angle was somehow just a dry hole. Despite making an appearance before a congressional committee, Cohen had barely registered as part of the unfolding story over the last year. So I was fascinated and perhaps a touch gratified to see him rocket back to the center of the story last week.

Of course, we don’t know yet what story he is at the center of. There are the hush agreements. NY prosecutors clearly think there’s a mess of financial crimes. But even though Cohen’s downfall may pose a grave danger to President Trump in itself, there is as yet no clear indication Cohen’s case has any clear tie to the Russia probe. Indeed, on this point I should be clear: I’ve never thought Cohen was the mastermind of some grand deal with Russia or indeed the mastermind of anything. He has always struck me as basically a dolt, someone whose value is based on aggression and loyalty rather than any canniness or smarts. It’s not about him being a mastermind or even a key player. It’s that he was involved, often as a close, close Trump confident in all the paths of money and deal making where a corrupt relationship with Russia’s political or economic leadership would have emerged.

#1865 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21254 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 19 April 2018 - 04:50 PM

Manafort continues to fight an uphill battle to get his charges dropped because of his claim that Mueller wasn't allowed to find all of his illegal business dealings. The last sentence I quoted shows that Mueller is a pro. He saw Manafort's gambit coming from miles away.

Paul Manafort wants to see more records of conversations between Special Counsel Robert Mueller and Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein on the scope of the Russia probe.

Manafort lawyer Kevin Downing argued for that they and the court were entitled to additional Justice Department records in a sometimes contentious federal court hearing Thursday on Manafort’s motion to have the indictment against him thrown out. Manafort, Trump’s former campaign chairman, claims the order naming Mueller special counsel is a violation of DOJ regulations. Manafort also argues that Mueller’s investigation has exceeded the authority granted to him by exploring Manafort’s business dealings in Ukraine.

Downing, at times, appeared frustrated with U.S. District Judge Amy Berman Jackson’s lines of questioning. At one point, he said the hypotheticals the judge was posing were forcing him to dig himself into a hole.

Jackson had some pointed questions for Mueller’s team — which was represented in that portion of the hearing by Michael Dreeben — as well.

She zeroed in on the gap of time between the May 17 order that named Mueller and the August 2 internal memo by Rosenstein that prosecutors have since released, with redactions, that said both Russian election meddling and Manafort’s Ukraine work had always been within Mueller’s purview.

What was the point of the August 2 memo, Jackson asked Dreeben.

“Precisely because we saw that this day would come,” Dreeben said, meaning that they anticipated that a defendant would seek to challenge the charges against him by pointing to the May appointment order.

#1866 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21254 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 19 April 2018 - 04:53 PM

Uh, oh. Trump's bringing in the BIG gun!

Former New York City mayor and close Trump confidant Rudy Giuliani has joined President Donald Trump’s legal team, Giuliani told the Washington Post Thursday.

“I’m doing it because I hope we can negotiate an end to this for the good of the country and because I have high regard for the president and for Bob Mueller,” Giuliani told the Post.

Trump’s friend had few details to offer the paper.

It’s “too early” to say whether Trump will sit for an interview with special counsel Robert Mueller, Giuliani told the Post. He also said he was “not involved” in determining whether or not Trump should fire Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein, who oversees Mueller’s probe.

“My advice on Mueller has been this: He should be allowed to do his job, he’s entitled to do his job,” Giuliani said.

The Post said that Giuliani claimed to have been in talks with Trump “for weeks” about joining the team, and that he would take a leave from his firm Greenberg Traurig to advise Trump.

#1867 andydp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2897 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY near Albany

Posted 19 April 2018 - 05:05 PM

View PostLFC, on 19 April 2018 - 04:50 PM, said:

Manafort continues to fight an uphill battle to get his charges dropped because of his claim that Mueller wasn't allowed to find all of his illegal business dealings. The last sentence I quoted shows that Mueller is a pro. He saw Manafort's gambit coming from miles away.

What was the point of the August 2 memo, Jackson asked Dreeben.

“Precisely because we saw that this day would come,” Dreeben said, meaning that they anticipated that a defendant would seek to challenge the charges against him by pointing to the May appointment order.

Nothing like fantastic staff work by some smart person in the back office.

I was on staff for many years. Plenty of people think they are leeches on the system. Plenty of commanders know better.

Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.

Rev Martin Luther King Jr.

Obamacare took my guns away and put me in a FEMA reeducation camp.

Anonymous

#1868 Rue Bella

Emerging from a state of cryogenic denial

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7441 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 19 April 2018 - 05:07 PM

The Post said that Giuliani claimed to have been in talks with Trump “for weeks” about joining the team, and that he would take a leave from his firm Greenberg Traurig to advise Trump.

Greenberg Traurig is a large law firm. I know nothing about law firms and how they relate to clients, but why would Giuliani have to 'take a leave' to advise the president? Unless his firm did not want the Trump-Taint associated with their name.
What is wrong with these people? ~ PG

No longer politically correct

#1869 JackD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 890 posts
  • LocationChicago area

Posted 19 April 2018 - 05:13 PM

If Giuliani is going to formally represent Trump, the firm may have conflicts of interest or, as you suggest, doesn't want to be associated with the case for reputation purposes.

#1870 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21254 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 19 April 2018 - 05:52 PM

View PostJackD, on 19 April 2018 - 05:13 PM, said:

If Giuliani is going to formally represent Trump, the firm may have conflicts of interest or, as you suggest, doesn't want to be associated with the case for reputation purposes.

Or like so many other firms and individual attorneys don't think they'll get paid. Or all of the above.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users