792 replies to this topic

#781 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17404 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 19 September 2017 - 03:42 PM

Trump is using campaign funds to pay the mounting legal bills. The RNC must be thrilled about that.

U.S. President Donald Trump is using money donated to his reelection campaign and the Republican National Committee to pay for his lawyers in the probe of alleged Russian interference in the U.S. election, according to two people familiar with the matter.

The U.S. Federal Election Commission allows the use of private campaign funds to pay legal bills arising from being a candidate or elected official.

While previous presidential campaigns have used these funds to pay for routine legal matters such as ballot access disputes and compliance requirements, Trump would be the first U.S. president in the modern campaign finance era to use such funds to cover the costs of responding to a criminal probe, said election law experts.

One person familiar with the matter said the first payments, the amount of which Reuters could not determine, has already been made and would be disclosed in public filings. The person did not explain how the costs would be allocated between the campaign and the RNC.

The Republican National Committee is expected to make its August spending public on Wednesday, and the Trump campaign is due for another disclosure on Oct. 15.

John Dowd, Trump’s lead lawyer, declined to say how the president’s legal bills were being paid, adding: “That’s none of your business.”

Hey Dipshit Dowd, when your boy took an elected position it became our business! I guess it's looking like just another Trump business blunder now.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"Didn't vote for Hillary Clinton? Then you own [insert horrible act here]."

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

#782 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17404 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 20 September 2017 - 01:35 PM

It appears that Mueller has now installed a highly experienced firewall against House and Senate ... issues.

Having hired a host of seasoned federal prosecutors for his probe of the president’s associates, Bob Mueller has now brought on a liaison to Capitol Hill.

Stephen Kelly, formerly the longtime congressional affairs chief for the FBI, has joined the probe, according to several sources familiar with his new role.

“Stephen Kelly is exactly who I would hire if I wanted to share as little information with Congress as possible,” said a Hill staffer who has interacted with Kelly in his new role as Mueller’s congressional liaison.

While Mueller is the face of the investigations into potential coordination between Team Trump and the Kremlin, several Capitol Hill committees are also investigating the issue. And as soon as Mueller’s probe began, concerns emerged that the multiple investigations could butt heads.

So Kelly’s role is key. It’s his job to keep congressional investigators up to date on the special counsel’s probe. He’s also the point of contact for Capitol Hill staffers working on their own, separate Russia-related investigations, and he’s charged with preventing conflict between Mueller’s team and the Hill.

I'm sure Devin "I Lie and Cover Up For Trump!" Nunes is thrilled.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

#783 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17404 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 22 September 2017 - 09:14 AM

Chuck Grassley is a partisan cow pie. Now he's trying to place the blame for Trump employing piles and piles of Russian pawns onto the FBI for not telling his campaign about what might be going on. Who the f*** were they going to tell? Almost everybody at every level is under suspicion!

Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-IA) sent a letter to FBI Director Christopher Wray on Wednesday asking if the bureau ever warned the Trump campaign about ties between Russian officials and aides to the campaign.

In the letter, which Grassley released on Thursday, he noted that the Russia probe began in July 2016 and that recent reports show that former Trump campaign aide Paul Manafort was under investigation by federal investigators before the election.

“This raises the question of whether the FBI ever alerted Mr. Trump to the FBI’s counter-intelligence concerns regarding his campaign manager and others associated with the campaign — so that he could take defensive action to prevent the campaign from being infiltrated,” Grassley wrote in the letter.

Seriously? Hey, Chuckles, were they supposed to tell "Honest Don" about his family members too?

#784 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17404 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 22 September 2017 - 03:43 PM

Hang on to your Constitution. One Dem in a position to understand what's happening in the investigation is expecting Trump to fire Mueller to try to protect himself. (Bold mine.)

President Donald Trump is preparing his base for the constitutional crisis he’ll trigger by firing special counsel Robert Mueller, according to a congressional investigator.

Rep. Mike Quigley (D-IL), a member of the House Intelligence Committee, said the probe has gotten deep into sensitive financial areas involving Trump and his family, and he “impulsive” president was almost certain to fire the special counsel.

“The Mueller investigation could take at least another year, maybe two, but (the House) investigation is closer to its infancy than conclusion,” Quigley said Thursday, during a discussion at DePaul University College of Law. “In the meantime, we live with the very real threat that the Mueller investigation gets shut down.”

Quigley said the investigation, despite its complexity, had already revealed evidence of wrongdoing.

“If you had seen what I had seen you’d want me to go full throttle,” he said.

The lawmaker said he’s trying to communicate a sense of urgency, because he believes Trump is willing to risk democratic institutions and civil society to protect himself from the investigation.

“One of the reasons I speak the way I do when I message about this is I’m worried about a constitutional crisis,” Quigley said. “I think there is a reason he speaks to the base in the manner in which he does. He’s prepping them, girding them for this.”

#785 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6742 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 22 September 2017 - 04:30 PM

View PostLFC, on 22 September 2017 - 03:43 PM, said:

The lawmaker said he’s trying to communicate a sense of urgency, because he believes Trump is willing to risk democratic institutions and civil society to protect himself from the investigation.

"Willing to risk?" What planet has he been living on for the past several decades?
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
The purpose of "defense spending" isn't "defense," it's "spending."
Our Party! In her relations with other Americans may she always be in the right; but Our Party, right or wrong!

#786 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17404 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 22 September 2017 - 04:58 PM

View PostLFC, on 22 September 2017 - 09:14 AM, said:

Chuck Grassley is a partisan cow pie. Now he's trying to place the blame for Trump employing piles and piles of Russian pawns onto the FBI for not telling his campaign about what might be going on. Who the f*** were they going to tell? Almost everybody at every level is under suspicion!

John McCain, who for all his faults is not Putin's bitch, calls Chuckles the Clown out on his attempted "distraction" from the investigation. Chuck you, Fuckles.

pokeswoman for Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) on Friday issued a biting statement aimed at Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-IA), accusing his Republican colleague of “clearly” trying to “distract” from multiple investigations into Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election.

Grassley on Wednesday wrote to FBI Director Christopher Wray, demanding to know “If the FBI did provide a defensive briefing or similar warning to the [Trump] campaign” about Russian efforts to interfere in the election

“If the FBI did not alert the campaign, then that would raise serious questions about what factors contributed to its decision and why it appears to have been handled differently in a very similar circumstance involving a previous campaign,” Grassley wrote.

Included in his letter was a reference to McCain, whom Grassley argued was informed by the FBI about similar Russia-linked contacts during his 2008 presidential run.

In a statement, McCain spokeswoman Julie Tarallo disputed Grassley’s reference, arguing no one on the Arizona senator’s team “recalls receiving such warnings from the intelligence community.”

“Facts are stubborn things, and the fact is no member of Congress has done more to push back on Russian aggression, human rights abuses, and corruption than Senator John McCain,” Tarallo said. “Any suggestion to the contrary is clearly intended to distract from the serious ongoing investigations into Russia’s interference in our election system.”

Tarallo also iterated McCain’s support for Special Counsel Robert Mueller, who is heading the investigation into Russian inference in the 2016 presidential election and possible collusion with the Trump campaign. Mueller is also reportedly probing whether Trump committed obstruction of justice when he fired former FBI Director James Comey, as well as any possible financial crimes related to former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort.

“Senator McCain has high confidence in Special Counsel Mueller and our intelligence agencies, and trusts they will follow all of the facts surrounding Russia’s brazen attack on our election wherever they lead,” Tarallo said.

#787 Rue Bella

Emerging from a state of cryogenic denial

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7282 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 22 September 2017 - 09:41 PM

perhaps McCain is preparing to meet his maker.
What is wrong with these people? ~ PG

No longer politically correct

#788 nuser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 10:19 PM

Rue Bella
Could be!

#789 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10123 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 10:40 PM

McCain's view of the Russian meddling might be influenced by his experiences as a POW. Did he encounter any Soviet "advisors" during his imprisonment?
"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

#790 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6742 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 23 September 2017 - 06:35 AM

I'll go with RB on this. McCain has always -- at least since 1980 -- been about what's in it for McCain first, last, and always. Then this year he got the notice that "always" has expired and "last" is measured 6' long, 3' wide, and 6' deep. Liberating, that realization. Hard to threaten someone who knows that for himself "consequences" don't matter any more.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
The purpose of "defense spending" isn't "defense," it's "spending."
Our Party! In her relations with other Americans may she always be in the right; but Our Party, right or wrong!

#791 cmk

Chief Cook and Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 7411 posts
  • LocationBennington, VT, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Known Universe

Posted 23 September 2017 - 09:18 AM

View PostD. C. Sessions, on 23 September 2017 - 06:35 AM, said:

Hard to threaten someone who knows that for himself "consequences" don't matter any more.

I remember little of the old show "L.A. Law," but one thing that did stick with me was the conclusion of a story arc. Details are fuzzy but the gist is that some bad guy admitted doing something bad but a main character couldn't do anything about it because of attorney/client privilege. There was another lawyer on the case who was older and sick with cancer. In the end, the guy got taken down and the main character confronted the older attorney, who admitted breaking privilege to do the guy in. Shocked, she pointed out that he'd be disbarred, and he replied something along the lines of: "I'm terminal -- ergo, immune."
Charles M. Kozierok - Administrator, TalkRadioSucks.com

"The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools." -- Herbert Spencer

"Atheism is a religion like abstinence is a sex position." -- Bill Maher

"Our new Government['s] foundations are laid, its cornerstone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery, subordination to the superior race, is his natural and moral condition." -- Alexander Stephens, Vice-President of the Confederacy

#792 andydp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY near Albany

Posted 23 September 2017 - 07:14 PM

View PostAnBr, on 22 September 2017 - 10:40 PM, said:

McCain's view of the Russian meddling might be influenced by his experiences as a POW. Did he encounter any Soviet "advisors" during his imprisonment?
A book I read years ago: The Raid about the failed POW rescue mentioned there was an "interrogator" nicknamed "The Cuban" and when the raid happened some people at the camp were killed who did not look Vietnamese. No one poked into it too deeply but the money was on Russian advisors.
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.

Rev Martin Luther King Jr.

Obamacare took my guns away and put me in a FEMA reeducation camp.

Anonymous

#793 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11167 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 25 September 2017 - 08:38 AM

A little more info on the FB debacle.

A few weeks after the French election, Warner flew out to California to visit Facebook in person. It was an opportunity for the senator to press Stamos directly on whether the Russians had used the company’s tools to disseminate anti-Clinton ads to key districts.
Officials said Stamos underlined to Warner the magnitude of the challenge Facebook faced policing political content that looked legitimate.

Stamos told Warner that Facebook had found no accounts that used advertising but agreed with the senator that some probably existed. The difficulty for Facebook was finding them.

Finally, Stamos appealed to Warner for help: If U.S. intelligence agencies had any information about the Russian operation or the troll farms it used to disseminate misinformation, they should share it with Facebook. The company is still waiting, people involved in the matter said.

For months, a team of engineers at Facebook had been searching through accounts, looking for signs that they were set up by operatives working on behalf of the Kremlin. The task was immense.

Warner’s visit spurred the company to make some changes in how it conducted its internal investigation. Instead of searching through impossibly large batches of data, Facebook decided to focus on a subset of political ads.

Technicians then searched for “indicators” that would link those ads to Russia. To narrow down the search further, Facebook zeroed in on a Russian entity known as the Internet Research Agency, which had been publicly identified as a troll farm.

“They worked backwards,” a U.S. official said of the process at Facebook.

The breakthrough moment came just days after a Facebook spokesman on July 20 told CNN that “we have seen no evidence that Russian actors bought ads on Facebook in connection with the election.”

Facebook’s talking points were about to change.

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."-- Winston Churchill
"We never threaten anyone. We just explain the situation." Russian spokesman

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users