1 reply to this topic

#1 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10123 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 09:53 PM

http://www.real-time...he-levee-breaks

Liberals are using the Oroville Dam situation as a way to stress the need for more infrastructure spending, and they have a point. But I think there’s another point that’s worth making, something that the Steve Bannons and Stephen Millers of the world don’t understand: governing isn’t all fun stuff, like yelling at Mexicans and trying to steer the nation into World War III.

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

#2 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3697 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 17 February 2017 - 12:16 PM

People get upset about the poor conditions of roads because they can see it and experience every day. When it comes to other infrastructure they don't notice until something catastrophic happens. When a water district or sewer district wants to raise rates for any reason, people howl and gnash their teeth. In CA many water districts and sewer districts have elected boards of directors and the imperative to be reelected interferes with their judgment.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users