Why conservatives are more likely than liberals to believe false information about threats

9 replies to this topic

#1 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9488 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 09:18 PM

This kind of fits the studies that show those that lean conservative tend to be ruled more by their amygdalas.

http://www.latimes.c...0202-story.html

After an electoral season that blurred the line between fact and fantasy, a team of UCLA researchers is offering new evidence to support a controversial proposition: that when it comes to telling the difference between truth and fiction, not all potential voters see it the same way.

When “alternative facts” allege some kind of danger, people whose political beliefs are more conservative are more likely than those who lean liberal to embrace them, says the team’s soon-to-be-published study.

Conservatives’ vulnerability to accepting untruths didn’t apply equally to all false claims: When lies suggested dangerous or apocalyptic outcomes, more conservative participants were more likely to believe them than when the lie suggested a possible benefit.

"What the Nazis were doing was not describing what was true, but what would have to be true to justify what they planned to do next." — Hannah Arendt in her book The Origins of Totalitarianism

"No nation is permitted to live in ignorance with impunity." Thomas Jefferson: Virginia Board of Visitors Minutes, 1821

“Nixon and his successors hid behind ideology and obscured the contradictions by pursuing a strategy I would call 'no-fault bigotry.'” — William Greider

“It’s not ‘Nation Building’, We are Assisting them in Building their Nation” — Marco Rubio on Iraq

“I should apologize for all of my stories that you wished were true and turned out not to be.” — Andy Borowitz

“Republicans want smaller government for the same reason that crooks want fewer cops: it's easier to get away with murder.” — James Carville

"It is a truism that almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so, and will follow it by suppressing opposition, subverting all education to seize early the minds of the young, and by killing, locking up, or driving underground all heretics." — Robert A. Heinlein, Postscript, Revolt in 2100

"As long you have racism, as long as you have Islamophobia, as long as you have rampant misogyny, you're going to have the wellsprings of fascist sensibility." Chris Vials

#2 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16054 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 16 February 2017 - 09:21 PM

Lizard brains?
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"Didn't vote for Hillary Clinton? Then you own [insert horrible act here]."

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

#3 Practical Girl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7470 posts
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 16 February 2017 - 11:01 PM

I say this over and over again (to the point of boredom), but the right wing brought their science to this decades ago. A part of the brain that controls emotion, that is also the basal layer for addiction? SPEAK to it, early and often. Make sure they hear it on many, many levels- channel market/vertical market your heart out.

By the time the big effort began- somewhere near the repeal of the Fairness Doctrine, the science was fairly clear. The amygdala had already been pegged as the human brains' most powerful emotional center. If fed "right"? Over and over again, with the same satisfaction? That part of the brain has the capability to block higher brain function. This is the same center where "love" and "sex" are located. And properly manipulated, the amygdala I can block higher reason- and the drug can be "information", as easily as any drug you can think of, administered over and over again.

It isn't that simple, but it has been that easy. Right wing media, and all it's spread, has been a needle for a lot of people. And the "good" part is that they don't even know it. It doesn't disrupt their lives- cause them to code out, or stumble through lost jobs. Just enough to get them to cheer for things that will, eventually, either be very bad fro them OR kill them.

Plain and simple: The smartest "conservative" political minds in the 70s and 80s had this. And they put it to work. Opiates for the masses, indeed, and planned
Every woman needs a blowtorch.
---Julia Child

--- On September 17, 1787, as Benjamin Franklin was leaving the deliberations of the Constitutional Convention, at Independence Hall, in Philadelphia, a woman called out to him, saying, “Well, Doctor, what have we got, a republic or a monarchy?”
“A republic,” Franklin said, “if you can keep it.”

#4 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9488 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 11:10 PM

View PostPractical Girl, on 16 February 2017 - 11:01 PM, said:

I say this over and over again (to the point of boredom), but the right wing brought their science to this decades ago. A part of the brain that controls emotion, that is also the basal layer for addiction? SPEAK to it, early and often. Make sure they hear it on many, many levels- channel market/vertical market your heart out.

http://www.independe...s-a6695291.html
"What the Nazis were doing was not describing what was true, but what would have to be true to justify what they planned to do next." — Hannah Arendt in her book The Origins of Totalitarianism

"No nation is permitted to live in ignorance with impunity." Thomas Jefferson: Virginia Board of Visitors Minutes, 1821

“Nixon and his successors hid behind ideology and obscured the contradictions by pursuing a strategy I would call 'no-fault bigotry.'” — William Greider

“It’s not ‘Nation Building’, We are Assisting them in Building their Nation” — Marco Rubio on Iraq

“I should apologize for all of my stories that you wished were true and turned out not to be.” — Andy Borowitz

“Republicans want smaller government for the same reason that crooks want fewer cops: it's easier to get away with murder.” — James Carville

"It is a truism that almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so, and will follow it by suppressing opposition, subverting all education to seize early the minds of the young, and by killing, locking up, or driving underground all heretics." — Robert A. Heinlein, Postscript, Revolt in 2100

"As long you have racism, as long as you have Islamophobia, as long as you have rampant misogyny, you're going to have the wellsprings of fascist sensibility." Chris Vials

#5 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8513 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:09 AM

It's unfortunate that this seems to favor tribalism, so "scary brown mooselims are going to kill us all with Sharia law" works, but "global warming is going to drown the cities, and the extinction of pollinators will break the eco system so we all starve" is "ha ha, fake news you dumb liebruls".

Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#6 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3429 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 17 February 2017 - 12:48 PM

View PostProgressive whisperer, on 17 February 2017 - 05:09 AM, said:

It's unfortunate that this seems to favor tribalism, so "scary brown mooselims are going to kill us all with Sharia law" works, but "global warming is going to drown the cities, and the extinction of pollinators will break the eco system so we all starve" is "ha ha, fake news you dumb liebruls".

People seem to fear other people more than they do anything else. I saw this in another context recently. Due to heavy rain there has been localized flooding in the plains around a small river. A voluntary evacuation order was made and many people left. The local paper interviewed a couple that did not evacuate. The wife said I'm not scared of flooding and anyway I have guns to keep people away from my property. So being stuck in a flooded house with no electricity wasn't a big enough problem for her to leave and the real problem is potential looting if she did evacuate.

#7 Bact PhD

Frustrated, Thoughtful Independent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 17 February 2017 - 02:46 PM

View Postgolden_valley, on 17 February 2017 - 12:48 PM, said:

People seem to fear other people more than they do anything else. I saw this in another context recently. Due to heavy rain there has been localized flooding in the plains around a small river. A voluntary evacuation order was made and many people left. The local paper interviewed a couple that did not evacuate. The wife said I'm not scared of flooding and anyway I have guns to keep people away from my property. So being stuck in a flooded house with no electricity wasn't a big enough problem for her to leave and the real problem is potential looting if she did evacuate.
I can corroborate this, as this seems to be a feature (not a bug!) Every. Single. Time. the hurricane warnings go up in these parts. Nope, Looters taking your STUFF is a bigger deal than the possibility of being drowned in storm surge, swept out to sea, or impaled by flying pieces of what used to be buildings.
Politics these days is show business. Elections are Dancing with the Stars with consequences. ~Rue Bella

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." --Thomas Jefferson to Charles Yancey, 1816. ME 14:384, via LFC, 12/1/2016

Competent people go in one of a few directions. But incompetence is infinite. ~David Brooks, NY Times

#8 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16054 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 17 February 2017 - 03:54 PM

View PostBact PhD, on 17 February 2017 - 02:46 PM, said:

I can corroborate this, as this seems to be a feature (not a bug!) Every. Single. Time. the hurricane warnings go up in these parts. Nope, Looters taking your STUFF is a bigger deal than the possibility of being drowned in storm surge, swept out to sea, or impaled by flying pieces of what used to be buildings.

Maybe "acts of God" aren't personally offensive like being the victim of a crime. Their risk analysis is basically gauging how would "feel" rather than actual harm. It would certainly make sense when you realize that Trump's campaign was completely based on feelings.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

#9 Bact PhD

Frustrated, Thoughtful Independent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 17 February 2017 - 04:01 PM

View PostLFC, on 17 February 2017 - 03:54 PM, said:

Maybe "acts of God" aren't personally offensive like being the victim of a crime. Their risk analysis is basically gauging how would "feel" rather than actual harm. It would certainly make sense when you realize that Trump's campaign was completely based on feelings.
Wait a minute, isn't this what the hard-righties seem to have their collective knickers in a twist about when it comes to those to their left, being ruled by "feelings"??
Politics these days is show business. Elections are Dancing with the Stars with consequences. ~Rue Bella

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." --Thomas Jefferson to Charles Yancey, 1816. ME 14:384, via LFC, 12/1/2016

Competent people go in one of a few directions. But incompetence is infinite. ~David Brooks, NY Times

#10 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16054 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 17 February 2017 - 04:18 PM

View PostBact PhD, on 17 February 2017 - 04:01 PM, said:

Wait a minute, isn't this what the hard-righties seem to have their collective knickers in a twist about when it comes to those to their left, being ruled by "feelings"??

I love how they whine about snowflakes and safe spaces followed by whining about how Obama and the lefties were big meanies who didn't treat them nicely. Such delicate little flowers who need to be treated oh so gently while they send out their fetid stench.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users