12 replies to this topic

#1 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13437 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 02:40 PM

http://www.vox.com/t...e-court-parties

Democrats have reason to be frustrated these days. They won the presidential popular vote and the Senate popular vote, and they were just shy of winning the House popular vote. And yet they are entirely shut out of power in Washington. The Electoral College and Senate are here to stay, needless to say, but Democrats do have an unexpected chance to make substantial gains in the House and in state legislatures post-2020 if they can convince the Supreme Court to go along. It’s a long shot, to be sure, but it’s got a better chance of succeeding than some of their other options: Jill Stein’s recount efforts or a time machine.

The unexpected ray of hope comes from a partisan gerrymandering case in Wisconsin. An eclectic group of academics and lawyers managed to pull off the all but impossible when they convinced a court to strike down Wisconsin’s state districting on constitutional grounds. The case is guaranteed a hearing by the Supreme Court, and it provides Democrats some hope of tamping down on the partisan gerrymanders that have handicapped their candidates since 2011, the last time districts were drawn.

“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It's simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

— Carl Sagan

Pray for Trump: Psalm 109:8

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#2 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5928 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 01 December 2016 - 02:44 PM

Good luck to them. With Trump appointing a bunch of lower level federal judges it won't take long before another case comes along that upholds whatever states do with districting.

#3 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13289 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 02 December 2016 - 10:26 AM

Good article. Gave a lot more background than this.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."-- Winston Churchill
"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices" Voltaire

#4 Rabiner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3723 posts
  • LocationCulver City, CA

Posted 02 December 2016 - 11:11 AM

to be fair the Senate popular vote is the dumbest thing i've ever heard of. Particularly when you have California running 2 democrats against one another since they were the top two vote getters in the primary.
Government in particular has an obligation to dismiss any employee who claims a right to discriminate against citizens. - Garret Epps

#5 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13289 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 02 December 2016 - 12:23 PM

I thought that is exactly what proportional voting was intended to do. They weren't running against "each other".
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."-- Winston Churchill
"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices" Voltaire

#6 indy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9314 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 10:02 PM

Weirdly, SCOTUS has accepted a SECOND gerrymandering case without settling the Wisconsin one yet, though they did hear oral arguments on it. This one is from Maryland, with Republicans challenging a Democratic gerrymander. I'm scratching my head trying to figure out what this means. I'm by no means an avid SCOTUS watcher, at least compared to some, but it seems like a strange turn of events, and somewhat unusual for the court. Hmmm.

ETA: Maybe they want one of each to short circuit claims of political bias?

#7 J-CA

Probably in one of my drunken stupors..

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4768 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 11:12 PM

View Postindy, on 11 December 2017 - 10:02 PM, said:

There are 4 liberal justices, that is enough to accept a case, right? That would make sense. It could also be the conservative side of the court trolling, hoping to get Kennedy to reverse himself. If the R's from Maryland lose because they present a poor case that should have won on the merits that will send the RW media into a propaganda-gasim the likes of which we have never seen!
I am the burrito until someone hands me to a philosopher.

#8 Rich T Bikkies

Trainee Basil Fawlty. Practising Victor Meldrew

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4365 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, UK

Posted 12 December 2017 - 02:03 AM

View PostJ-CA, on 11 December 2017 - 11:12 PM, said:

. . . hoping to get Kennedy to reverse himself.

That's going into my everyday vocabulary as a generic put-down: "Go and reverse yourself!"
Reality is a hallucination caused by alcohol deprivation.

Only Satan can rebuke sin. The righteous don't know enough.

God is not dead. He was merely voted out of office.

You can do anything with anybody if you just save them the trouble of thinking.

#9 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10233 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 09:24 AM

View PostRich T Bikkies, on 12 December 2017 - 02:03 AM, said:

That's going into my everyday vocabulary as a generic put-down: "Go and reverse yourself!"

And I was holding out for “propagand-asm”!

Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#10 Ari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 06:13 PM

View Postindy, on 11 December 2017 - 10:02 PM, said:

Weirdly, SCOTUS has accepted a SECOND gerrymandering case without settling the Wisconsin one yet, though they did hear oral arguments on it. This one is from Maryland, with Republicans challenging a Democratic gerrymander. I'm scratching my head trying to figure out what this means. I'm by no means an avid SCOTUS watcher, at least compared to some, but it seems like a strange turn of events, and somewhat unusual for the court. Hmmm.

The Wisconsin case dealt with a challenge to the state-wide maps, while the Maryland case is focused just on one district. It's a clearer fact pattern for a conservative justice to agree to a standard of judicial review. I wouldn't be surprised if they overturn the MD gerrymander and can't get there on Wisconsin.

#11 indy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9314 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 09:05 AM

The legal arguments are also different on the cases (Wisconsin is equal protection based and Maryland is first amendment based) so I think you are probably right, that perhaps they want to say something about the practice but aren't prepared to settle on a quantitative measure as the standard. I think that's probably the best result as well, at least at this point in time.

#12 indy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9314 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 09:16 AM

And, to address J-CA's point that perhaps the 4 liberal justices were the deciding votes in accepting the Maryland case, it may be that they felt Kennedy was going to vote---reluctantly---against doing anything in the Wisconsin case, so maybe they did maneuver into taking this case as a way for him to get there.

#13 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29894 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 04 March 2019 - 02:40 PM

Eric Holder, at least, isn't running for President. Instead he's continuing his war on gerrymandering.

Former Attorney General Eric Holder says he’s not running for president in 2020.

Holder, a Democrat, said in a Monday opinion piece in The Washington Post that he’ll focus on redistricting, the process of reconfiguring electoral districts.

Holder served under President Barack Obama and is chairman of the National Democratic Redistricting Committee, which has sued states over voting rights issues and legislative redistricting.

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users