106 replies to this topic

#61 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32834 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 16 December 2019 - 03:43 PM

More Republican fixing of the impeachment process to protect Trump and the criminals surrounding him.

It’s been less than a day since Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer announced he has a list of four critical witnesses who should testify at the Senate’s impeachment trial of President Donald Trump, and already Republicans have served up their stonewalling talking points.

Leader Schumer wants former Trump National Security Advisor John Bolton, current White House Chief of Staff Mick Mulvaney, and two White House officials tied to Mulvaney to testify.

And the Republicans – unofficially for now – have already let it be known the answer will be no.

Why?

CNN’s Manu Raju reports Republicans are saying they will not call on any of those “preferred” witnesses because they did not testify before any of the House Committees in the impeachment inquiry. The House tried to have both testify but the White House blocked those requests and the Chairmen decided it was not worthwhile to take what could have been months – possibly eight months – to go through the courts when Trump is currently attempting to use foreign actors to once again help him win the election.

Republicans are saying “there’s no need to hear from these four individuals because that was actually the House’s job,” Raju reports.

“According to the Republicans the House was actually the fact-finding body that was the one that was supposed to hear from, get testimony from the four individuals,” he adds. “It was the decision by House Democrats not to go to court to try to enforce their subpoenas to compel these people.”

There's logic that's been tortured as badly as a Gitmo prisoner. Schumer calls bullshit.

Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY) demanded at a press conference on Monday that Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) allow witnesses at the impeachment trial of President Donald Trump.

While speaking to reporters, Schumer said that McConnell had indicated he was ready to negotiate on rules for a Senate trial.

“Senate Democrats believe strongly that the trial must be fair and it’s very important that the American people judge it to be fair,” Schumer said. “A fair trial is one where Senators get all the facts & one that allows them to adjudicate the case impartially.”

“Trials have witnesses!” he exclaimed at one point.

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#62 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32834 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 16 December 2019 - 03:50 PM

What in the actual hell? Giuliani just admitted on camera that he and John Solomon teamed up to smear former Ukrainian ambassador Yovanovitch and get her fired so that Rudy could investigate manufacture dirt on Biden.

Trump attorney Rudy Giuliani has undermined President Donald Trump’s defense in the House of Representatives impeachment inquiry — again.

In an interview with The New Yorker, Giuliani admitted that he got former American ambassador to Ukraine Marie Yovanovitch fired so that he could more easily pursue his efforts to dig up dirt on former Vice President Joe Biden.

“I believed that I needed Yovanovitch out of the way,” he said. “She was going to make the investigations difficult for everybody.”

Giuliani also admitted that he recruited former Hill columnist John Solomon to help him spread negative information about Yovanovitch.

““I said, ‘John, let’s make this as prominent as possible,’ ” Giuliani said. “ ‘I’ll go on TV. You go on TV. You do columns.’ ”

Can you imagine if the parties were switched and this was Democratic corruption? It's so over the top yet Republicans have no problem, not even a hint of conscience, about covering up their criminal conspiracy all centered around winning the 2020 election.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#63 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14360 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 10:31 PM

F.D.R. Got It. Most Democrats Don’t

In January 1937, near the end of Franklin Roosevelt’s first term as president, Life magazine published a map of the United States spread over two full pages. The headline read: “What President Roosevelt Did to the Map of the U.S. in Four Years with $6,500,000,000.”

Scattered around the map were dozens of small drawings, each showing a project funded by Roosevelt’s stimulus program. They included the Triborough Bridge, Manhattan’s Midtown tunnels, bridges on Cape Cod, schools in South Carolina, dorms at Texas Tech, the Kansas City Civic Auditorium, the Los Angeles Aqueduct and the Grand Coulee Dam. A few of the drawings summarized broader projects, like “2 U.S. aircraft carriers” and “120 U.S. airports.”

Since taking office in 1933, Roosevelt hadn’t only rescued the country from the Great Depression. He had made sure that the country knew he had rescued it. His projects were big, tangible and unmistakably the work of the federal government. The projects changed how Americans thought about government.

In recent decades, Democrats have too often forgotten this lesson. They have created technocratically elegant policies that quietly improve people’s lives, like tax credits or insurance subsidies. The problem with this approach is that it does little to build popular support for government action.

“Trump’s a stupid man’s idea of a smart person, a poor man’s idea of a rich person & a weak man’s idea of a strong man.”

— Fran Lebowitz

“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It's simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

— Carl Sagan

Pray for Trump: Psalm 109:8

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#64 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10715 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 18 January 2020 - 04:32 PM

Mockery is better than confrontation. In response to a fantasy question, reply "Why not ask about something closer to reality, like the tooth fairy?"
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#65 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13495 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 19 January 2020 - 11:09 AM

Anyone else having problems loading the investigations thread? I get an sql error. And site loads really slow.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."-- Winston Churchill
"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices" Voltaire

#66 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10715 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 12:11 PM

View PostTraveler, on 19 January 2020 - 11:09 AM, said:

Anyone else having problems loading the investigations thread? I get an sql error. And site loads really slow.

No problem here.
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#67 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14360 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 05:49 PM

Loads OK for me here. I doubt that there is any problems with the database. I have noticed really slow loading from time to time, though.
“Trump’s a stupid man’s idea of a smart person, a poor man’s idea of a rich person & a weak man’s idea of a strong man.”

— Fran Lebowitz

“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It's simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

— Carl Sagan

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

#68 HockeyDon

Mind blown...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3786 posts
  • LocationNew Britain, CT

Posted 20 January 2020 - 06:04 AM

Same for me.
Well, fuck.

How can I be expected to distinguish BS from reality when so much of my reality is utter BS?!

"There seems to be a lot of people dying of ignorance while living in the information age." my sister-in-law.

#69 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13495 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 21 January 2020 - 06:30 PM

Just got the same SQL when clicking "next unread topic" from certain threads. Last time it was.. (he goes back) Iran. This is what I got.

Warning: mysqli_query() [function.mysqli-query]: (HY000/1194): Table 'reputation_cache' is marked as crashed and should be repaired in /usr/www/users/ixll/trs/forum/ips_kernel/classDbMysqliClient.php on line 256

Looks like my machine?
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."-- Winston Churchill
"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices" Voltaire

#70 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14360 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 09:15 PM

View PostTraveler, on 21 January 2020 - 06:30 PM, said:

Looks like my machine?

Nope, the server. This should be moved over to the Forum Information and Feedback forum and Charles should be contacted.

— Fran Lebowitz

— Carl Sagan

— Carl Sagan

— H.L. Mencken

#71 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13495 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 22 January 2020 - 07:26 AM

I am in the field all day so can someone take that on? This may be the impetus for a new interface. Which we should kick in for

#72 indy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9393 posts

Posted 22 January 2020 - 09:29 AM

I've looked at perhaps moving the forum to a new server since Charles has explicitly said he wasn't interested in continuing. Setting up a new forum would be relatively easy, and I was looking at discourse (https://discourse.org/). For a very small community like this one, hardware resources are extremely cheap and the work of setting it up is minimal. The biggest issue would be the loss of all the current stuff. There may be a way to import the current data but it's probably more work than I would be willing to do.

Thoughts?

#73 Bact PhD

Frustrated, Thoughtful Independent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2083 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 22 January 2020 - 09:43 AM

Ok, so it wasn’t just me/my machine/my internet service.
Politics these days is show business. Elections are Dancing with the Stars with consequences. ~Rue Bella

(About fame) Living for likes, shares and follows is a form of validation. The question is whether it is also the source of our self esteem. If it is, we’re screwed. And, culturally, it seems as if it’s become more and more our shared value. ... Meringue is no longer a sweet and pretty topping but the body itself. ~Charles Perez

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." --Thomas Jefferson to Charles Yancey, 1816. ME 14:384, via LFC, 12/1/2016

Competent people go in one of a few directions. But incompetence is infinite. ~David Brooks, NY Times

#74 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14360 posts

Posted 22 January 2020 - 01:59 PM

If this is not going to continue under Charles I would much prefer that it remains a proper forum. One that can import all of current database. Also since disk space is so terribly cheap these days I would love it it would host posted images so they are not lost when the remote server deletes them. It would keep the context of existing posts intact.

— Fran Lebowitz

— Carl Sagan

— Carl Sagan

— H.L. Mencken

#75 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6413 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 22 January 2020 - 03:01 PM

Agree with AnBr and am willing to kick in some cash to keep it going.

#76 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10715 posts

Posted 22 January 2020 - 03:35 PM

View Postindy, on 22 January 2020 - 09:29 AM, said:

I've looked at perhaps moving the forum to a new server since Charles has explicitly said he wasn't interested in continuing. Setting up a new forum would be relatively easy, and I was looking at discourse (https://discourse.org/). For a very small community like this one, hardware resources are extremely cheap and the work of setting it up is minimal. The biggest issue would be the loss of all the current stuff. There may be a way to import the current data but it's probably more work than I would be willing to do.

Thoughts?

Given the (very) low traffic load, and given that I'm already hosting a few domains -- would y'all prefer to keep the domain or move to one of my parked ones? I would honestly love to get some traffic going at twilightofempire.org but for now haven't the bandwidth to port or administer it. Siteground, in case it matters. I'll pay for the hosting anyway.
— Nate Silver

#77 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32834 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 22 January 2020 - 04:08 PM

View PostTraveler, on 21 January 2020 - 06:30 PM, said:

Just got the same SQL when clicking "next unread topic" from certain threads. Last time it was.. (he goes back) Iran. This is what I got.

Me too but only page 85 of the thread. Now that it's up to page 86 I can jump right in but still can't get to page 85. Page 84 is not problem either.

And I'd kick in for a rehost.

#78 Bact PhD

Frustrated, Thoughtful Independent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2083 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 22 January 2020 - 07:15 PM

View PostAnBr, on 22 January 2020 - 01:59 PM, said:

If this is not going to continue under Charles I would much prefer that it remains a proper forum. One that can import all of current database. Also since disk space is so terribly cheap these days I would love it it would host posted images so they are not lost when the remote server deletes them. It would keep the context of existing posts intact.

View PostLFC, on 22 January 2020 - 04:08 PM, said:

And I'd kick in for a rehost.

I concur on all counts, and ditto.

View PostLFC, on 22 January 2020 - 04:08 PM, said:

Me too but only page 85 of the thread. Now that it's up to page 86 I can jump right in but still can't get to page 85. Page 84 is not problem either.
When I was on earlier in the day I was on my phone; now that I'm on the laptop (and it's later) I can report the same finding as LFC: Page 84 OK, Page 86 OK, Page 85 fugheddaboutit!
Politics these days is show business. Elections are Dancing with the Stars with consequences. ~Rue Bella

(About fame) Living for likes, shares and follows is a form of validation. The question is whether it is also the source of our self esteem. If it is, we’re screwed. And, culturally, it seems as if it’s become more and more our shared value. ... Meringue is no longer a sweet and pretty topping but the body itself. ~Charles Perez

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." --Thomas Jefferson to Charles Yancey, 1816. ME 14:384, via LFC, 12/1/2016

Competent people go in one of a few directions. But incompetence is infinite. ~David Brooks, NY Times

#79 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10715 posts

Posted 22 January 2020 - 07:59 PM

FWIW 85 is SQL dead here too. We're well past happenstance and coincidence so, yeah.

As for what I wrote earlier:

View PostD. C. Sessions, on 22 January 2020 - 03:35 PM, said:

I would honestly love to get some traffic going at twilightofempire.org but for now haven't the bandwidth to port or administer it. Siteground, in case it matters. I'll pay for the hosting anyway.

I realized it was ambiguous. I mean my personal wetware bandwidth, if any of you have ever dealt with the late, great Dr. John David Jackson you will perhaps understand.

Siteground has plenty of bandwidth and I'm not using a fraction of what I'm paying for, so new URL or old I'm in for the hosting.
— Nate Silver

#80 indy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9393 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 07:16 AM

I can flip on and set up a VPS in a matter of minutes. I can install Discourse in another matter of minutes because it uses a software configuration and management tool called Docker, one of the reasons I'm attracted to it. The cost is really insignificant for this ($4 a month or so using the provider in Germany I typically use so nobody would need to kick in anything). This gives me a raw linux machine with root privileges and enough compute and i/o power to handle the traffic and software for the site.

Trying to use somebody else's shared hosting system becomes a lot more problematic and time-consuming for me if I were the one doing it, especially if they don't allow root privileges (most don't).

We can use any domain name, so DC could point either his main domain (twilightofempire.org) or a subdomain (e.g., trs.twilightofempire.org) at an IP address I provide. Typically this is pretty easy.

We would need at least one other person--preferably two--to handle any day-to-day administrative tasks because I tend to get distracted with other things for a period of time, especially lately. Preferably it would be people with enough experience in this sort of thing to learn the interface quickly. DC, LFC, AnBr seem obvious candidates but volunteers would be welcome of course.

Yea or nay?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users