54 replies to this topic

#21 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28159 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 11 March 2019 - 09:48 AM

Faux News is still whining about being called out as a propaganda wing of the GOP ... which, of course, is exactly what they are.

Fox News host Brett Baier on Sunday criticized the “loud” voices on the liberal side of the Democratic Party for the Democratic National Committee’s decision to not partner with Fox for debates during the Democratic primaries.

Calling it a “derangement syndrome,” Baier defended the work he and other journalists do on the news side of the operation and pointed to his difficulties getting an interview with President Trump as proof he’s not in Trump’s pocket.

“There is a bit of Fox derangement syndrome with a section of the left,” Baier said. “There are a lot of candidates and a lot of people in the Democratic Party who realize the power of the viewership and the power of the fairness of the news operation. But often they are drowned out by the loud voices on the left side of the party.”

Of course by "loud voices on the liberal side" he means facts but we all know reality has a liberal bias.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#22 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28159 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 12 March 2019 - 10:10 AM

Pelosi pretty much ruled out impeachment. Josh Marshall thinks this is wise. He also explains that impeachment is a process and that process starts with investigation, something that is going on full bore right now.

There is quite a lot of perplexity and disgruntlement that Nancy Pelosi has apparently ruled out impeachment, saying Trump’s “just not worth it.” This has led to a number of theories. Possibly Pelosi has received some intelligence briefings that touch on the Mueller probe and she knows that the final verdict won’t be strong enough to sustain an impeachment. Perhaps she worries about impeachment spurring an even deeper round of polarization which will hurt the Democrats in the 2020 elections. Perhaps she simply wants to get out ahead of a Mueller Report with a firm line in the sand to prevent a headlong rush to impeaching the President.

I don’t know Pelosi’s character or thinking well enough to know precisely which of these it is. I can’t know what’s motivating her. But her statement yesterday seemed far less momentous or consequential to me than it appears to have seemed to almost everyone else.

My thinking is based on two premises.

Pelosi doesn't seem interested in pulling another Ken Starr where the point of the investigation is not to find the truth but to get to impeachment. Good. While I've advocated that the Dems get out and fight, including fighting dirty when it works for them, I still want them to remain adults. Not immediately giving into the fantasy of impeachment is being an adult.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#23 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13074 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 10:17 AM

The Puritopians are freaking out over this, again calling Pelosi a corpratist establishment Dem.
“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It's simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

— Carl Sagan

Pray for Trump: Psalm 109:8

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#24 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5660 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 12 March 2019 - 11:00 AM

Pelosi is right. The House should focus on good, popular legislation that will go nowhere in the Senate.

I'm not being snarky here. The Democrats need to set up some nice campaign arguments about how the Republicans block every thing that might be good for the average person while the Republicans and their President shut down government over the personal pettiness of the President. Chasing impeachment turns them into the party of Anti-Trump which robs candidates of the ability to talk about things that matter in their districts. There's plenty of oversight going on (finally) so things will come out anyway.

#25 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28159 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 12 March 2019 - 11:12 AM

View Postgolden_valley, on 12 March 2019 - 11:00 AM, said:

Pelosi is right. The House should focus on good, popular legislation that will go nowhere in the Senate.

I'm not being snarky here. The Democrats need to set up some nice campaign arguments about how the Republicans block every thing that might be good for the average person while the Republicans and their President shut down government over the personal pettiness of the President. Chasing impeachment turns them into the party of Anti-Trump which robs candidates of the ability to talk about things that matter in their districts. There's plenty of oversight going on (finally) so things will come out anyway.

Agreed. The Republicans would love nothing more than to take America's eyes off the ball of good policy (which the GOP clearly sucks at) and get it on a shrillness contest over impeaching Trump. Elections are coming and Dems can't just run against Trump. They must run against all Republicans.

#26 HockeyDon

Mind blown...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3658 posts
  • LocationNew Britain, CT

Posted 12 March 2019 - 11:57 AM

View PostAnBr, on 12 March 2019 - 10:17 AM, said:

The Puritopians are freaking out over this

Possibly the wrong reaction.

again calling Pelosi a corpratist establishment Dem.

Not entirely wrong.
Well, fuck.

How can I be expected to distinguish BS from reality when so much of my reality is utter BS?!

"There seems to be a lot of people dying of ignorance while living in the information age." my sister-in-law.

#27 HockeyDon

Mind blown...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3658 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 12:01 PM

View PostLFC, on 12 March 2019 - 11:12 AM, said:

Agreed. The Republicans would love nothing more than to take America's eyes off the ball of good policy (which the GOP clearly sucks at) and get it on a shrillness contest

...which the GOP is clearly well-practiced at.
Well, fuck.

How can I be expected to distinguish BS from reality when so much of my reality is utter BS?!

"There seems to be a lot of people dying of ignorance while living in the information age." my sister-in-law.

#28 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28159 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 12 March 2019 - 03:05 PM

Interestingly after reading here at TRS about Bulwark there was an article from there quoted on RawStory. The author makes the case that Pelosi is tamping down the expectations of impeachment because she wants the focus to remain on Trump in any number of ways until the 2020 elections.

In a move that is sure to disappoint a #Resistance crowd that has been waiting impatiently—and with high expectations—for the conclusion of the Mueller investigation, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi has taken impeachment off the table, at least for now. “Impeachment is so divisive to the country that unless there’s something so compelling and overwhelming and bipartisan, I don’t think we should go down that path,” she told the Washington Post, “because it divides the country. And he’s just not worth it.”

She’s right. No president has ever been successfully removed from office following impeachment, but in each case—Johnson, almost Nixon, and Clinton—the attempt did lasting damage to the federal government.

But that’s not to say that we should take comfort in the idea that historical precedent and the overall health of the country are Pelosi’s primary motivators. If they were, she could have made this announcement much sooner. Her calculations have much more to do with pragmatic political strategy. Liberals should take heed, and the Republicans who see this as evidence that Mueller must not have anything serious on Trump should instead be alarmed.

Pelosi wants to be able to run against Trump. He has historically low approval ratings and historically high disapproval ratings. At no point in his presidency has he had net favorability, including immediately after his inauguration, when most presidents enjoy a grace period. At his best mark ever, he was net unfavorable by 2 percent; at his worst, 25 percent. Running against Trump was a winning strategy in the 2018 midterms, which saw Democrats gain 40 House seats and a 7 percent popular vote margin with record turnout. Pelosi would be foolish to change that formula.

#29 HockeyDon

Mind blown...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3658 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 09:20 AM

View PostLFC, on 12 March 2019 - 03:05 PM, said:

Interestingly after reading here at TRS about Bulwark there was an article from there quoted on RawStory. The author makes the case that Pelosi is tamping down the expectations of impeachment because she wants the focus to remain on Trump in any number of ways until the 2020 elections.

I've always had some reservations about impeachment. Not that I wouldn't like to see it happen, but unless the impeachment charge is lead by Republicans, it's a distraction that will provide cover for all sorts of other things going on. We know the media would be hyper-focused on the actual impeachment and ignore any other negative/evil shit that Republicans or Trump try to pull.

And even if it did somehow result in Trump being forced out of office, it's not like he'd be going to prison. His "punishment" would be no longer being president, which is something he apparently thought was the case right up until election night. He'd be free to resume his business of grifting anyone and everyone that comes close to his orbit. So, not only would Pence pardon him out of hand, we'd have President Pence as a result.
Well, fuck.

#30 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13074 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 11:23 PM

View PostHockeyDon, on 13 March 2019 - 09:20 AM, said:

I've always had some reservations about impeachment. Not that I wouldn't like to see it happen, but unless the impeachment charge is lead by Republicans, it's a distraction that will provide cover for all sorts of other things going on. We know the media would be hyper-focused on the actual impeachment and ignore any other negative/evil shit that Republicans or Trump try to pull.

And even if it did somehow result in Trump being forced out of office, it's not like he'd be going to prison. His "punishment" would be no longer being president, which is something he apparently thought was the case right up until election night. He'd be free to resume his business of grifting anyone and everyone that comes close to his orbit. So, not only would Pence pardon him out of hand, we'd have President Pence as a result.

Amazing that so many do not get this.
“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It's simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

— Carl Sagan

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

#31 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28159 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 14 March 2019 - 08:26 AM

View PostAnBr, on 13 March 2019 - 11:23 PM, said:

Amazing that so many do not get this.

They're the same ones that think Bernie Sanders fiscal policies make sense.

#32 HockeyDon

Mind blown...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3658 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 09:02 AM

View PostLFC, on 14 March 2019 - 08:26 AM, said:

They're the same ones that think Bernie Sanders fiscal policies make sense.

Sounds like they're reactionaries rather than revolutionaries.
Well, fuck.

#33 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28159 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 15 March 2019 - 11:42 AM

One group is holding Senate Dems' feet to the fire for their support of too many of Trump's judicial picks. I tend to agree. Democrats need to stop doing anything that could speed up the process of Republicans packing the courts by filling the vacancies they intentionally created while Obama was President.

One of the top progressive judicial groups is diving into campaign politics, purchasing online ads in early primary states attacking Democrats who’ve gone wobbly on Donald Trump’s court nominees.

The group, Demand Justice, is formally releasing the first edition of what will be an annual report card on Friday. In it, they offer grades for Senate Democrats based on their voting record on Trump’s nominees.

Supplementing the report card will be a $40,000 digital ad buy. Ads will appear in the home states of those senators who received poor grades, while others will appear in Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina, displaying the grades of presidential candidates.

The campaign reflects the growing willingness of progressive interest groups to spend resources targeting Democrats. It also is part of a concerted push to make the judicial system a central issue in the 2020 conversation, which progressives assert was painfully absent among Democratic voters in the 2016 contest.

“This report card should send a message to every Democrat, especially those who have their eyes on the White House in 2020, that progressives will hold them accountable if they don’t take the fate of our courts seriously,” Demand Justice Executive Director Brian Fallon said.

In compiling its report card, Demand Justice considered two elements: how each senator voted on the floor for Trump’s Supreme Court, circuit court, and district court nominees, and how they used so-called blue slips (essentially informal sign offs) for circuit court nominees from their home states.

Many of the grades are harsh, with more than a third of the Democrats receiving a D or an F. Among Democrats on the Senate Judiciary Committee, Sens. Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) and Chris Coons (D-DE) both earned a D+; Sen. Dick Durbin (D-IL) received a D; and Sen. Patrick Leahy (D-VT) got a D-.

Among those running for president, the marks were much better. Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) received an A; Senators Cory Booker (D-NJ) and Bernie Sanders (I-VT) received an A-minus; and Senators Kamala Harris (D-CA) and Kirsten Gillibrand (D-NY) received a B-plus.

#34 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28159 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 20 March 2019 - 11:03 AM

View PostLFC, on 12 March 2019 - 10:10 AM, said:

Pelosi pretty much ruled out impeachment. Josh Marshall thinks this is wise. He also explains that impeachment is a process and that process starts with investigation, something that is going on full bore right now.

Pelosi reiterates the folly of impeachment. I hope The New House Kids on the Block are listening and understand instead of playing the happy warriors for an audience.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) seemed unfazed by critics of her impeachment stance Tuesday, saying “you’re wasting your time, unless the evidence is so conclusive that the Republicans will understand.”

“Otherwise, it’s a gift to the President,” Pelosi added to USA Today. “We take our eye off the ball.”

#35 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5660 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 20 March 2019 - 11:51 AM

Most Senate Republicans would only be convinced by multiple video or audio tapes of Putin and Trump talking directly to each other saying "here is our plan..." Pelosi knows this and the other Congresspeople should know this by now.

#36 andydp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3709 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY near Albany

Posted 20 March 2019 - 11:58 AM

View Postgolden_valley, on 20 March 2019 - 11:51 AM, said:

Most Senate Republicans would only be convinced by multiple video or audio tapes of Putin and Trump talking directly to each other saying "here is our plan..." Pelosi knows this and the other Congresspeople should know this by now.

As we know, Speaker Pelosi is way smarter than the Administration (or Fox news) is realizing. I'd like to opine the Speaker is letting the "New Kids" make a lot of noise and create a diversion while she has something else going on.

One thing I have noticed: there are VERY few anti Pelosi Memes out there. I'm getting a lot of them about "cow farts". I may be wrong, but Pres Trump hasn't tweeted much anti Pelosi stuff either, if any.
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.

Rev Martin Luther King Jr.

Obamacare took my guns away and put me in a FEMA reeducation camp.

Anonymous

If you've got public schools paid for by taxpayers, you're in a socialist nation. If you have public roads paid for by taxpayers, socialist nation. If you've got public defense (police, fire, military, coast guard) paid for by tax dollars, socialist nation. If you're in a nation that has nationalized or localized delivery of services that are not paid for by users alone, you're in a socialist nation- the only question is how socialist. As I see it, we have the military pay to protecting the shipping lanes for our fuel needs which makes up very socialist. In a capitalist nation, the people supplying the oil would pay for their own defense force.

DC Coronata

#37 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28159 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 20 March 2019 - 12:36 PM

View Postgolden_valley, on 20 March 2019 - 11:51 AM, said:

Most Senate Republicans would only be convinced by multiple video or audio tapes of Putin and Trump talking directly to each other saying "here is our plan..."

You give most Senate Republicans too much credit.

View Postandydp, on 20 March 2019 - 11:58 AM, said:

One thing I have noticed: there are VERY few anti Pelosi Memes out there. I'm getting a lot of them about "cow farts". I may be wrong, but Pres Trump hasn't tweeted much anti Pelosi stuff either, if any.

I'm convinced Trump is scared spitless of her. He knows she's smarter, more experienced, and won't take any of his crap.

#38 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13074 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 10:03 PM

View PostLFC, on 20 March 2019 - 11:03 AM, said:

Pelosi reiterates the folly of impeachment. I hope The New House Kids on the Block are listening and understand instead of playing the happy warriors for an audience.

Posted Image

— Carl Sagan

— Carl Sagan

— H.L. Mencken

#39 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13074 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 10:06 PM

View Postandydp, on 20 March 2019 - 11:58 AM, said:

I think that tRump et al have been burned trying to take her on. Easier to just avoid taking about her.

— Carl Sagan

— Carl Sagan

— H.L. Mencken

#40 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28159 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 27 March 2019 - 01:06 PM

The guy filling in for Josh Marshall this week at TPM makes a good point. The war against the corruption of Trump is a war of attrition. He sums it up (with a scary as shit reference to Steve Bannon's white revolution fantasies) like this:

If we look at the Mueller investigation as a knockout strategy, it failed. But if we see it as part of a larger war of attrition, it has played a useful role. It has already shaken up Trump world, leading to felony convictions for major figures like Paul Manafort, Michael Flynn and Michael Cohen.

And the Mueller investigation seems also to have put a damper on Steve Bannon’s plans to make Russia part of a global alliance system based on white nations fighting people of color. As Bloomberg reports, “Former White House strategist Steve Bannon said Tuesday that the ‘poisonous’ atmosphere that built in Washington during the now-completed Russia investigation has set back efforts to work with Russia ‘to unite the Judeo-Christian West.'”

But, while the Mueller investigation is an important front in the war of attrition, it is only one front. And it is also a front that, aside from a few more skirmishes about releasing the report, will now no longer one of the main theatres of war. Many other fronts remain. Trump, his family and the his businesses, will continue to receive scrutiny from congress and from law enforcement. There are many scandals left to investigate. Politically, issues like health care will be crucial in organizing popular opposition and fuelling electoral victories.

The Mueller Report isn’t out yet and might not be fully out until Trump is leaves office. In that sense, while we should still push for the release of the Mueller Report, we should also realize we’re entering a post-Mueller world. It’s a war of attrition and there are other fronts to attend to.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users