3464 replies to this topic

#841 Sinan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2711 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 28 February 2017 - 03:14 PM

At some point, the blind allegiance to Trump that got him elected will wear on those hearty but silly voters who fell for the age old con artist trick of overselling. Unlike other cons, Trump cannot just leave town and hope no one catches him. He has no where to hide, his stupidity now is world news, headlines around the world mock his every utterance. His confederacy of dunces will begin to doubt him but tribalism and ego will sustain them for a while until one by one they leave the carnival tent after finishing the con man's magic elixir only to realize that it does not cure baldness, won't fix their gout, has no sexual healing powers and only gives them a slight hangover.
"anyone who believes exponential growth can go on forever in a finite world is either a madman or an economist."
Kenneth Boulding

"A person who reads books lives a thousand lives. A person who never reads lives only one"
George Martin

"Is that a real poncho or a Sears poncho?"
Zappa

"and let not mankind bogart love"

Willie Nelson and Colbert

#842 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10233 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 03:29 PM

View PostSinan, on 28 February 2017 - 03:14 PM, said:

At some point, the blind allegiance to Trump that got him elected will wear on those hearty but silly voters who fell for the age old con artist trick of overselling. Unlike other cons, Trump cannot just leave town and hope no one catches him. He has no where to hide, his stupidity now is world news, headlines around the world mock his every utterance. His confederacy of dunces will begin to doubt him but tribalism and ego will sustain them for a while until one by one they leave the carnival tent after finishing the con man's magic elixir only to realize that it does not cure baldness, won't fix their gout, has no sexual healing powers and only gives them a slight hangover.

We can hope, but white supremacy is one heck of a drug.

Some of them will realize that the 1950s aren't coming back, and maybe stay home for the next election.

We need to fight voter suppression tooth and nail, and hope those convinced that both parties were the same learned their mistake.

His core supporters probably won't bail, so long as he tells them they are better than all the brown people.

Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#843 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24786 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 28 February 2017 - 04:18 PM

More classic Trumpiness; take credit for things you didn't do and blame others for things you did.

President Donald Trump was asked by the crew on Fox & Friends about the failed raid in Yemen that took the life of Navy SEAL William “Ryan” Owens, and the president was quick to deflect blame onto others.

When asked about criticism from Owens’s father about the failed raid, Trump pointed out that planning for the mission actually started under former President Obama.

“This was a mission that was started before I got here,” Trump said. “This was something that was, uh, you know, they wanted to do. They came to see me, they explained what they wanted to do, the generals, who are very respected. My generals are the most respected that we’ve had in many decades, I believe. And they lost Ryan.”

And speaking of the Yemen raid, this is how Trumpies define "success":

The U.S. military raid on an Al-Qaeda stronghold in Yemen, which resulted in the death of a U.S. Navy Seal, has not yielded any significant intelligence, security officials told NBC News.

The operation was the first such military action sanctioned by U.S. President Donald Trump and saw U.S. commandos perform a ground mission against a base of Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) in the al-Bayda province.

The raid left at least 25 civilians dead, nine of which were children according to the Bureau of Investigative Journalism , as well as claiming the life of Chief Petty Officer William “Ryan” Owens.

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#844 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24786 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 28 February 2017 - 04:21 PM

Trump has the same economic delusions as the rest of the Republican Party!

President Donald Trump said he believes the extra $54 billion dollars he has proposed spending on the U.S. military will be offset by a stronger economy as well as cuts in other areas.

“I think the money is going to come from a revved up economy,” Trump said in a Fox News interview broadcast on Tuesday, hours before he was to address a joint session of Congress.

“I mean you look at the kind of numbers we’re doing, we were probably GDP of a little more than 1 percent and if I can get that up to 3 or maybe more, we have a whole different ball game. It’s a whole different ball game.”

Whoo hoo! Magic money!
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#845 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10233 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 04:23 PM

View PostLFC, on 28 February 2017 - 04:18 PM, said:

More classic Trumpiness; take credit for things you didn't do and blame others for things you did.

And speaking of the Yemen raid, this is how Trumpies define "success":

So - all those Generals were just promoted since January 20th?

Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#846 Sinan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2711 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 28 February 2017 - 08:01 PM

Well, most of us are now old, lets face it, we may not survive this orange shit show. So, the only rational thing to do is laugh your ass off at this shit show, drink just a wee bit more, enjoy what you have, hope that your kids can bounce back and then just ride it out. What the hell else can we do? I am 61. Bill Paxton just died at my age. We only got so many chances left, make the most of it. I suggest more pot. It's good shit.
"anyone who believes exponential growth can go on forever in a finite world is either a madman or an economist."
Kenneth Boulding

"A person who reads books lives a thousand lives. A person who never reads lives only one"
George Martin

"Is that a real poncho or a Sears poncho?"
Zappa

"and let not mankind bogart love"

Willie Nelson and Colbert

#847 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10233 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 08:17 PM

View PostSinan, on 28 February 2017 - 08:01 PM, said:

Well, most of us are now old, lets face it, we may not survive this orange shit show. So, the only rational thing to do is laugh your ass off at this shit show, drink just a wee bit more, enjoy what you have, hope that your kids can bounce back and then just ride it out. What the hell else can we do? I am 61. Bill Paxton just died at my age. We only got so many chances left, make the most of it. I suggest more pot. It's good shit.

If I really thought I wouldn't last through the next four years I'd make certain a couple neo-facisti preceded me. i'm two years younger and hope to see him in disgrace if not prison.

Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#848 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5108 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 28 February 2017 - 11:08 PM

Anyone watch the big speech tonight? Nah, I didn't expect anyone to.

#849 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10233 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 06:18 AM

View Postgolden_valley, on 28 February 2017 - 11:08 PM, said:

Anyone watch the big speech tonight? Nah, I didn't expect anyone to.

The "news" stenographers and commentariat Need to serve some purpose.

Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#850 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8681 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 01 March 2017 - 08:21 AM

View PostSinan, on 28 February 2017 - 03:14 PM, said:

At some point, the blind allegiance to Trump that got him elected will wear on those hearty but silly voters who fell for the age old con artist trick of overselling.

Alternately, the longer the con lasts the more invested the marks get in believing it. The power of this effect goes up with the number of people who collectively bought in; leaving not only means admitting you were conned but bucking the groupthink. In witness whereof I point y'all to the "poor white trash" who are so invested in keeping the nggrs down that they never allow themselves to consider that depressing their wages etc. (extreme case: slavery) also depresses their own ability to negotiate better conditions. And that particular con, dear friends, has been going strong for more than two centuries and if anything is getting stronger.
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#851 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10233 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 08:30 AM

View PostD. C. Sessions, on 01 March 2017 - 08:21 AM, said:

Alternately, the longer the con lasts the more invested the marks get in believing it. The power of this effect goes up with the number of people who collectively bought in; leaving not only means admitting you were conned but bucking the groupthink. In witness whereof I point y'all to the "poor white trash" who are so invested in keeping the nggrs down that they never allow themselves to consider that depressing their wages etc. (extreme case: slavery) also depresses their own ability to negotiate better conditions. And that particular con, dear friends, has been going strong for more than two centuries and if anything is getting stronger.

The RW noise machine, Fox, Breibart, Info Wars et al, reenforce this (although my understanding is that most Trumpistas are much better off than "poor white trash" would indicate).

The emphasis seems to be on "white" as the biggest tRump determinate.

Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#852 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24786 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 01 March 2017 - 10:12 AM

Trump breaks all irony meters.

"The time for small thinking is over. The time for trivial fights is behind us." --Donald Trump, King of Trivial Fights

#853 Rich T Bikkies

Trainee Basil Fawlty. Practising Victor Meldrew

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3777 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, UK

Posted 01 March 2017 - 11:02 AM

View PostLFC, on 01 March 2017 - 10:12 AM, said:

Trump breaks all irony meters.

Or perhaps at last — at long last — he's getting with the program?

Well, no harm in asking.
Reality is a hallucination caused by alcohol deprivation.

Only Satan can rebuke sin. The righteous don't know enough.

God is not dead. He was merely voted out of office.

You can do anything with anybody if you just save them the trouble of thinking.

#854 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12485 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 01 March 2017 - 11:27 AM

I am wondering if this past 45 days hasn't all been an act. Be so outrageous that when some semblance of sanity emerges, everyone breathes a sigh of relief, including Dems. Even though EPA and Justice gutted to fund more military. Sounds like a deal to me. Dems need to keep up the pressure, but unlikely they will.

So the Overton window has shifted drastically rightward. Mission accomplished.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."-- Winston Churchill
"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices" Voltaire

#855 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10233 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 11:40 AM

View PostTraveler, on 01 March 2017 - 11:27 AM, said:

I am wondering if this past 45 days hasn't all been an act. Be so outrageous that when some semblance of sanity emerges, everyone breathes a sigh of relief, including Dems. Even though EPA and Justice gutted to fund more military. Sounds like a deal to me. Dems need to keep up the pressure, but unlikely they will.

I'm doubtful. I would be more willing to think the MSM is bored with outrage and feels it has to revert to "both sides".

Which means it's up up to "we, the people" to push on them and the Democrats.

Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#856 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5108 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 11:43 AM

I don't think so. This was a standard Trump speech in content. The only difference I can discern is in style. No carnage crap and less bombast. I suspect someone other than Bannon and Miller wrote it. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the speech's applause lines were sent to all Reps there with an admonition to be loud and smiling. Trump seemed to light up when it happened. A tiny part of me wonders what drug he took to chill him out enough to seem calm and focus on the TelePrompTer.

#857 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24786 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 01 March 2017 - 12:03 PM

View Postgolden_valley, on 01 March 2017 - 11:43 AM, said:

I don't think so. This was a standard Trump speech in content. The only difference I can discern is in style. No carnage crap and less bombast. I suspect someone other than Bannon and Miller wrote it. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the speech's applause lines were sent to all Reps there with an admonition to be loud and smiling. Trump seemed to light up when it happened. A tiny part of me wonders what drug he took to chill him out enough to seem calm and focus on the TelePrompTer.

Josh Marshall's take looks pretty spot on.

I think purely as a speech, its crafting, the thematic cadence and delivery, it was pretty average to unremarkable. It wasn't a very good speech. Having said that, I think Trump may pick up a few points of support from the public because he seemed like a fairly normal person delivering it. This is admittedly an extremely low standard. But when you compare this Trump to the meltdown press conference Trump or the rageful, spewing Twitter Trump, he can't help but seem more balanced and less threatening by comparison. Low bar. SAD! But there it is.

One observation on this front. There were three or four times when a large number of Democrats grumbled or guffawed or just chortled and laughed at Trump more or less to his face. The first and perhaps the biggest example was when he took credit for "draining the swamp." I suspect his handlers worked very hard prepping him not to react when this happened. As far as I could tell, he never did. I suspect it was very difficult. Having a tightly prepared speech probably helped. In any case, he didn't. And it's very good for him that he didn't.

Finally, probably the most important thing about this speech was this: It had some softer edges. Trump did well for himself and for the country by explicitly and clearly condemning the wave of threats and attacks on Jewish institutions and the anti-immigrant hate crime in Kansas. But the speech itself did not strike me as more aspirational or more focused on unity, as White House staffers suggested it would be. It seemed like the same fundamentally dark vision of a decimated America, just with the volume turned down a notch or two. There was no 'American carnage'. But it was still the worst recovery in 60 years, manipulated statistics to make it seem like the murder rate is the highest in two generations when in fact it's very close to the lowest and the bizarre and dystopic references to 'criminal cartels' overrunning the country.

Yes, he kept talking up the 250th anniversary of the country in 9 years and how this would be the moment when we started becoming great again. But it was fundamentally similar to the convention and inauguration speeches, just with the volume turned down.

I can't in good conscience not add here that the speech was strewn with demonstrably false claims. But we expect this now.

Me? I personally believe that they upped the drugs they used to get him through the second debate.

I'd say that's clearly true from the standpoint of being forced to stick at least somewhere close to facts. The last line I quoted above was "I can't in good conscience not add here that the speech was strewn with demonstrably false claims. But we expect this now." Moving America fully into the post-fact era that the right-wing has been working on for decades is perhaps Trump's greatest "accomplishment". He can stand up, lie his ass off repeatedly, and most people just shrug. Pathological lying is no longer a disqualifier for the highest political office in the land ... unless of course you're a Democrat.

#858 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5108 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 12:11 PM

View PostLFC, on 01 March 2017 - 12:03 PM, said:

The last line I quoted above was "I can't in good conscience not add here that the speech was strewn with demonstrably false claims. But we expect this now." Moving America fully into the post-fact era that the right-wing has been working on for decades is perhaps Trump's greatest "accomplishment". He can stand up, lie his ass off repeatedly, and most people just shrug. Pathological lying is no longer a disqualifier for the highest political office in the land ... unless of course you're a Democrat.

This sends chills down my spine. The bar is now lowered to he isn't lying any more than he usually does.

#859 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24786 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 01 March 2017 - 12:41 PM

View Postgolden_valley, on 01 March 2017 - 12:11 PM, said:

This sends chills down my spine. The bar is now lowered to he isn't lying any more than he usually does.

The bar of Trump "performing" is now based on a combination of Bush's incompetence, Bush's inability to speak coherently and like an adult, Congressional Republican lack of policy detail, and now any attachment to truth. I can just hear the MSM in a year.

"Well, John, Trump didn't throw his feces at a CNN reporter (this time) during the State of the Union Address. He's looking more presidential."

#860 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24786 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 01 March 2017 - 12:51 PM

Kellyanne seems to have been voted off of the island. Pence is now the preeminent Trump apologist. He's a much smoother liar than Kellyanne has ever been. Here he is defending Trump's promise to repeal and replace Obamacare while still covering everybody who is covered today.

Pence appeared Wednesday on ABC’s “Good Morning America,” where George Stephanopoulos asked him if Trump “can guarantee that everyone who has coverage now won’t lose it" under a new health care law.

“I think the President’s made it clear to Congress that, particularly when it comes to the most vulnerable population, George, the Medicaid population, we don’t want anyone to fall through the cracks,” Pence replied.

“And you heard him mention tax credits last night,” Pence continued. “What the President wants the Congress to do is to create a framework for people to be able to afford coverage. And then lastly, you heard him talk about creating a national marketplace, allowing Americans to buy health insurance across state lines, focusing on lowering the cost of health insurance, rather than mandating that people buy government approved health insurance.”

“Will that guarantee that no one loses coverage?” Stephanopoulos asked again.

“I think the President has made it clear: No one is going to fall through the cracks in this,” Pence said.

And here he is defending Trump's deranged war with the media.

Vice President Mike Pence on Wednesday morning defended President Donald Trump's recent attacks on the media, arguing that Trump is just pushing back against "fabricated" stories and "unfair criticism."

During an interview on MSNBC's "Morning Joe," Pence avoided directly answering the hosts' questions about Trump's constant criticisms of the press and repeatedly said that Trump was merely responding to unfair coverage.

When co-host Mika Brzezinski asked Pence if Trump's war on the media was over, the Vice President replied that Trump has a "willingness to call out the media when they play fast and loose with the facts."

Brzezinski then noted that Trump called the press the "enemy of the American people." In response, Pence began to mention "some of the baseless and fabricated stories that come out and been treated with great attention" before he was cut off by the hosts.

Scarborough asked once more if Trump was moving away from his attacks on the media.

"I think one of the reasons why President Donald Trump was elected is because he’s a fighter. The American people who will fight for their future, who will fight for American jobs, fight to make America strong in the world again, but also he’s willing to make his case and to challenge his detractors when unfair criticisms come his way," Pence replied.

Just like phlegm; slick but disgusting.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users