3810 replies to this topic

#81 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13065 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 15 November 2016 - 09:33 PM

PW, any suggestions of who could have been better? Which is why I ranted.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."-- Winston Churchill
"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices" Voltaire

#82 Joanna

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 15 November 2016 - 09:58 PM

View Postgolden_valley, on 15 November 2016 - 12:51 PM, said:

We are a transactional, material country. No one wants to vote unless they feel they get something out of it. Voting because it is part of being in a representative government, even when your side loses is not a compelling argument for many.

I believe voting would increase if every vote really counted. right now only those if few swings matter, the rest is taken for granted by one or the other side (although it may backfire, as we saw)

Democrats problem is that young people are one of their biggers voting blocks, and this group is still too busy having fun, and are not reliable voters.

#83 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10233 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 09:58 PM

View PostTraveler, on 15 November 2016 - 09:33 PM, said:

PW, any suggestions of who could have been better? Which is why I ranted.

? Better than DWS as scape goat? If that's the question, there are too many good answers to pick just one.

Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#84 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13034 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 01:20 PM

Trump is about to discover what a president does all day

Donald Trump may not like being president. This is not a job in which you merely speak to cheering crowds. This is a salaried job in which you have to show up for work every day and deal with problems so intractable they could not be solved at lower levels. You have to pick among options fraught with the potential for failure and disaster. Mistakes are made, and you’ll get the blame. There’s a reason presidents age visibly in office. Nice airplane, people return your calls, but it’s one of the hardest jobs on the planet.

The president is, as George W. Bush put it awkwardly but correctly, The Decider, and it is a fundamental rule of the job that the chief executive often has to decide among unpleasant options. President Obama explained this to Michael Lewis:

“Nothing comes to my desk that is perfectly solvable,” Obama said at one point. “Otherwise, someone else would have solved it. So you wind up dealing with probabilities. Any given decision you make you’ll wind up with a 30 to 40 percent chance that it isn’t going to work.”

Pray for Trump: Psalm 109:8

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#85 Practical Girl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8114 posts
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 16 November 2016 - 01:24 PM

I've had to go deep into the definition of change. And then, of course, just came to the conclusion that the more things, change, the more they stay the same. Change- lol....
Every woman needs a blowtorch.
---Julia Child

--- On September 17, 1787, as Benjamin Franklin was leaving the deliberations of the Constitutional Convention, at Independence Hall, in Philadelphia, a woman called out to him, saying, “Well, Doctor, what have we got, a republic or a monarchy?”
“A republic,” Franklin said, “if you can keep it.”

--- LFC, on Gorsuch ruling: "Awesome. A Christianist who swore an oath to uphold the laws of the nation and bore false witness when he did it"

--- "Write hard and clear about what hurts"
Ernest Hemingway

#86 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13034 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 01:34 PM

For all of the people that were whining about change, they just reelected most of the incumbents to Congress..

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

#87 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10233 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 01:35 PM

View PostAnBr, on 16 November 2016 - 01:20 PM, said:

All good points, but a: the only way you get fired before your term is up is impeachment, and a GOP Congress isn't likely to do that as long as he signs bills; and b: he really doesn't need the salary.

I expect he'll have Pence, Preibus or Bannon give him answers to anything that doesn't interest him, blame problems on staff (as he's done since the beginning of the campaign), and focus on giving speeches to adoring crowds, and looting.
Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#88 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10233 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 01:36 PM

View PostAnBr, on 16 November 2016 - 01:34 PM, said:

For all of the people that were whining about change, they just reelected most of the incumbents to Congress..

As always. It's been noted in the past that anything below a 99% return rate is "a blood bath".

Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#89 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13034 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 01:39 PM

View PostProgressive whisperer, on 16 November 2016 - 01:35 PM, said:

All good points, but a: the only way you get fired before your term is up is impeachment, and a GOP Congress isn't likely to do that as long as he signs bills; and b: he really doesn't need the salary.

Except that that may be exactly what the Republicans want to happen. Impeach Trump to install Pence. Pence would have been unelectable, but is exactly what the RNC wants.

— Carl Sagan

— H.L. Mencken

#90 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13034 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 01:41 PM

Give Steve Bannon a chance. It’s not like he’s literally Joseph Goebbels.

I, for one, believe that everyone deserves a chance.

You’re not wrong that this appears to be a pig’s head slowly rotting on a stake, grotesque insinuations pouring from its mouth as flies buzz around it in the island heat, but I would need to learn more about it, honestly. I’m no expert.

You say that this man just painted a swastika on a church but — couldn’t it be a plus sign? We don’t know. Some people are better at drawing plus signs than others. I wouldn’t read anything into it. Maybe he just loves churches.

— Carl Sagan

— H.L. Mencken

#91 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28071 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 16 November 2016 - 02:04 PM

View PostAnBr, on 16 November 2016 - 01:20 PM, said:

Or as Raskolnik parachuted in to tell us, 5% of a President's job. What an amazingly stupid comment from somebody who appears to be fairly intelligent. I guess book smarts and analysis skills don't necessarily go hand in hand.

EDIT: Change "book smarts" to "well learned in theology".
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#92 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28071 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 16 November 2016 - 02:15 PM

The Trump Administration is a cluster-f*** right out of the gate. No time like the present to get your incompetence on! And be sure to read the WaPo link embedded below to see just how ridiculous his staff is about appointments. It's all about grudges and loyalty, nothing about ability. It's "heckuva' job, Brownie" on steroids.

Here are two paragraphs from a piece just out from The Washington Post you really need to read right now.

A former U.S. official with ties to the Trump team described the ousters of Rogers and others as a “bloodletting of anybody that associated in any way on the transition with Christie,” and said that the departures were engineered by two Trump loyalists who have taken control of who will get national security posts in the administration: retired Lt. Gen. Michael Flynn and Trump’s son-in-law, Jared Kushner.

Rogers had no prior significant ties to Christie but had been recruited to join the Trump team as an adviser by the former New Jersey governor. At least three other Christie associates were also pushed aside, former officials said, apparently in retaliation for Christie’s role as a U.S. prosecutor in sending Kushner’s father to prison.

Here's the rest of the article.

Let's review. Michael Flynn was fired by the Obama administration. He cowrote a book with Michael Ledeen. As a three star general who ran the Defense Intelligence Agency he is by definition highly experienced in national security matters. But he is not someone you want running the country's national security policy - to put it mildly. Kushner inherited his family real estate business, married Ivanka Trump and bought a storied New York newspaper, The New York Observer. He has zero knowledge or experience with anything to do with national security or foreign policy.

Then note this shakeup appears to be driven by his grudge against Chris Christie who prosecuted Kushner's father when Christie was US Attorney in New Jersey in 2004/2005.

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#93 Banty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5067 posts
  • LocationUpstate New York

Posted 16 November 2016 - 03:39 PM

View PostProgressive whisperer, on 15 November 2016 - 03:35 PM, said:

He means Debbie Wasserman Schultz, head of the DNC and whipping girl for the left.

Oh. Yeah, well then I'd agree.
"It can happen here. It is happening here. No election has been more important in my lifetime." - Andrew Sullivan, 7/21/2016
It did happen here. - Banty 11/9/2016

#94 Practical Girl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8114 posts
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 16 November 2016 - 05:13 PM

What if the Trump Administration was stymied- never allowed power? Hear from an elector who sees a path to stopping this all, December 19. Jut a wee bit of anarchy in all of it, but I do admire the fortitude and longevity of anybody who's still harboring delusions of "Anybody but Trump"
Every woman needs a blowtorch.
---Julia Child

--- On September 17, 1787, as Benjamin Franklin was leaving the deliberations of the Constitutional Convention, at Independence Hall, in Philadelphia, a woman called out to him, saying, “Well, Doctor, what have we got, a republic or a monarchy?”
“A republic,” Franklin said, “if you can keep it.”

--- LFC, on Gorsuch ruling: "Awesome. A Christianist who swore an oath to uphold the laws of the nation and bore false witness when he did it"

--- "Write hard and clear about what hurts"
Ernest Hemingway

#95 Banty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5067 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 10:54 AM

View PostPractical Girl, on 16 November 2016 - 05:13 PM, said:

What if the Trump Administration was stymied- never allowed power? Hear from an elector who sees a path to stopping this all, December 19. Jut a wee bit of anarchy in all of it, but I do admire the fortitude and longevity of anybody who's still harboring delusions of "Anybody but Trump"

Wow. I could go for any of their candidates John Kasich, Colin Powell or Mitt Romney, and the "Constitutional Conservatives" Tea Party types among the Trump supporters should shut up.

Has Colin Powell been consulted?
"It can happen here. It is happening here. No election has been more important in my lifetime." - Andrew Sullivan, 7/21/2016

#96 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28071 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 17 November 2016 - 11:17 AM

View PostPractical Girl, on 16 November 2016 - 05:13 PM, said:

I doubt it would work because only the hard-core Republicans seem to have the discipline to march in goosestep lockstep but it sure would be nice to keep the White House out of the hands of a criminal, racist, misogynistic, pathological madman.

#97 Banty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5067 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 02:11 PM

Well, if they *don't* quite march in lockstep, they can at least put a lid on the most crazy appointments:

http://www.vox.com/p...emic-corruption

#98 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28071 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 17 November 2016 - 05:16 PM

View PostBanty, on 17 November 2016 - 02:11 PM, said:

Well, if they *don't* quite march in lockstep, they can at least put a lid on the most crazy appointments:

That's so cute. As if Ryan and The Turtle haven't already rolled over on their backs to get their bellies scratched. Anybody thinking that they can hope for a GOP lead Congress doing anything responsible is living in La-La-Land.

#99 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28071 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 17 November 2016 - 05:21 PM

Trump Can’t Legally Make New Staff Sign NDAs - Yet

Transparency? We don't need no stinking transparency! And to Trump's Chumps, did you really expect better? If so, you ... are ... dumb ... as ... F***!!!

In an interview with The Washington Post in March, Trump told reporter Robert Costa that if he won the White House, he would want to require his new team, who would all be federal employees, to also sign NDAs.

“I don’t know, there could be some kind of a law that you can’t do this,” he said (fact check: true). “But when people are chosen by a man to go into government at high levels and then they leave government and they write a book about a man and say a lot of things that were really guarded and personal, I don’t like that.”

But Joanna Friedman, a partner with the Federal Practice Group specializing in federal employment law, said that just as Presidents Clinton and Obama signed executive orders restricting their appointees from lobbying former colleagues for a period of time, Trump could conceivably sign an executive order to add confidentiality and non-disparagement requirements on to new political appointees after they leave the Trump White House.

“He has the power to do it,” she said. “I don’t think it’s a matter of someone signing a contract with Trump. Rather, he’ll use his executive powers to make it law that you have sign this to work for him.” Friedman said a court would have to agree that the new restrictions serve the public interest, which would be a very high bar. But it’s not impossible.

“It is unheard of and it’s never happened,” she said. “But I think we all have learned in the last year that just because it’s unheard of, that doesn’t mean Trump’s not going to make it happen.”

#100 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10233 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 10:46 AM

Word this morning is Sessions of Alabama, "the KKK is fine except when they smoke pot", is at the moment Trump's pick for AG.

Expect "Get out of jail free" cards for any communities whose cops are a bit free with killing people of color.

Consent decree? What consent decree?

Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users