#741 Rich T Bikkies

Trainee Basil Fawlty. Practising Victor Meldrew

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3047 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, UK

Posted 16 February 2017 - 03:09 PM

Practical Girl, on 16 February 2017 - 01:55 PM, said:

Holy crap. Is anybody watching his press conference? This is truly, truly scary.

Can you supply a link accessible in the UK, if and when one becomes available? Though I suppose the juiciest bits will be on the BBC News Channel in an hour or two.

I don't usually watch the pussy grabber at length, but if he's still capable of scaring you, Prac, even after the last three weeks, then perhaps I need to take a look.

EDIT: Of course — HuffPo will probably do it.
Reality is a hallucination caused by alcohol deprivation.

Only Satan can rebuke sin. The righteous don't know enough.

God is not dead. He was merely voted out of office.

You can do anything with anybody if you just save them the trouble of thinking.

#742 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6243 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 16 February 2017 - 03:20 PM

Transcript:

https://www.washingt...ence-annotated/
The buck stops here; the rest is someone else's problem.
The purpose of "defense spending" isn't "defense," it's "spending."
First they came for the Muslims, and we said "Not this time, motherfucker!"
Our Party! In her relations with other Americans may she always be in the right; but Our Party, right or wrong!

#743 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6243 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 03:22 PM

The fascinating thing is that some of the people there were committing journalism. They were calling Trump out on facts and then calling him out on contradicting himself in the same conference.

Oh, by the way: he called the Russian leaks "fake news" and then confirmed them as real by insisting that they violate the law. Which law? Not clear.
Our Party! In her relations with other Americans may she always be in the right; but Our Party, right or wrong!

#744 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8613 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 03:27 PM

D. C. Sessions, on 16 February 2017 - 03:20 PM, said:

Did I miss something? Large blocks in yellow highlight, but I didn't see any annotations. Also reaffirmed that I can't stand to even read more than a paragraph; if you can call it such; of tRump speaking. Even in transcript he nauseates me.
Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#745 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8613 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 03:29 PM

D. C. Sessions, on 16 February 2017 - 03:22 PM, said:

The fascinating thing is that some of the people there were committing journalism. They were calling Trump out on facts and then calling him out on contradicting himself in the same conference.

Oh, by the way: he called the Russian leaks "fake news" and then confirmed them as real by insisting that they violate the law. Which law? Not clear.

Seriously, the "leaks" could be both fake and illegal I suppose, but I doubt either.

Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#746 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8613 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 03:32 PM

My question remains if at some point the knife fighting factions in his admin go down to one, or he fires/scares enough leakers that it gets a bit quiet, if the news then gets bored and wanders off after something else shiny. Or have they now got enough hate that they worry him like a bone for the future, as with the Clintons.
Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#747 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6243 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 04:02 PM

Well, they don't have the Clintons to kick around any more so who else can they pick on?

#748 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16235 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 16 February 2017 - 04:32 PM

Progressive whisperer, on 16 February 2017 - 03:29 PM, said:

Seriously, the "leaks" could be both fake and illegal I suppose, but I doubt either.

These are Schrodinger's Leaks; both fake and illegal.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"Didn't vote for Hillary Clinton? Then you own [insert horrible act here]."

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

#749 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16235 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 16 February 2017 - 04:35 PM

I haven't watched the snippets yet but TPM put together what they say are the 8 craziest moments from the press conference. Enjoy!
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

#750 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16235 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 16 February 2017 - 04:39 PM

LFC, on 16 February 2017 - 04:35 PM, said:

I haven't watched the snippets yet but TPM put together what they say are the 8 craziest moments from the press conference. Enjoy!

I just watched #1. He's sniffing like crazy, just like during the debates. Meltdown. Sad.

#751 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16235 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 16 February 2017 - 04:42 PM

Just watched #2, the statement that his administration is running like a "fine-tuned machine." All I can say is...

Posted Image

#752 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16235 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 16 February 2017 - 04:43 PM

Here's Josh Marshall's take in full. I think he's got Trump pegged ... and we should all be scared.

This is that rare time when I think the cliched phrase is appropriate: That press conference speaks for itself. There's very little I can think to add. It all amounts to a confirmation of what most of us already know. This man is not emotionally or characterologically equipped to serve as President. He lacks the focus, the ability to commit to even a passable amount of work without immediate emotional gratification. Thus his decision to hold a campaign rally in Florida on Saturday. (It's literally a campaign event, put on by his 2020 reelection campaign). Trump lacks the emotional resilience or toughness to deal with what is the inevitable criticism and difficulties of being President, which - lets be clear - are great.

These different deficits all feed upon each other. He lacks the steadiness for the job.

There are credible reports of Richard Nixon being in this sort of state in the final weeks of his presidency. But Nixon, to give him his due, was at the center of the greatest political scandal in American history, bearing down on him for months and pushing him toward the greatest political disgrace and humiliation in his nation's political history. He was overseeing the Vietnam War, witnessing various domestic civil disturbances, grappling with foreign policy blowups which neared superpower confrontations. There was a lot going on. Trump has been President for less than four weeks. Aside from domestic, media driven and other crises of his own making, virtually nothing has happened.

But the man who just appeared before the press for a free-ranging airing of grievances looked tired, sullen and half broken. His bracing insistence that everything is going perfectly in his White House sounded desperate and bizarre.

He's coming up on one month down and 47 to go.

#753 Bact PhD

Frustrated, Thoughtful Independent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1046 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 16 February 2017 - 04:59 PM

Just watched #5 (nukes and Russia). My reaction was one part "No Shit, Sherlock" and one part "What in the HELL is he ON??"

Concur w/PG -- truly scary.
Politics these days is show business. Elections are Dancing with the Stars with consequences. ~Rue Bella

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." --Thomas Jefferson to Charles Yancey, 1816. ME 14:384, via LFC, 12/1/2016

Competent people go in one of a few directions. But incompetence is infinite. ~David Brooks, NY Times

#754 indy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8033 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 05:13 PM

WaPo reports that Flynn lied to the FBI last month with regard to his conversations with the Russian Minister. Conversations they have on tape. Lying to the FBI is a federal crime, which Scooter Libby could have told him.

https://www.washingt...0401_story.html

#755 indy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8033 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 05:21 PM

That reminds me, wasn't he the one leading chants of 'lock her up' at the RNC? This is just too rich.

#756 indy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8033 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 06:03 PM

That so-called 'press conference' is the second most surreal event of the year. It's only February though, so plenty of time to get knocked down a few notches.

#757 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3476 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 16 February 2017 - 06:29 PM

Sounds like the Prez vented his spleen at this press conference. Now that it's off his chest you don't suppose he'll now calm down and at least outwardly behave like a normal person? Nah, me neither.

#758 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16235 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 16 February 2017 - 06:40 PM

Jake Tapper on the press conference (bold mine):

“If you are a soldier in harm's way right now, if you are a hungry child in Appalachia or the inner city, if you are an unemployed worker in the hollow shell of a steel town, that's not a president who seemed rather focused on your particular needs and wants,” Tapper said. “That's a president focused on bad press.”

“It was unhinged, it was wild,” he continued, “and I can't believe there are Republicans on Capitol Hill and in the White House that don't understand that might play well with the 44% of the population that voted for the president, but a lot of American are going to watch that press conference and say ‘That guy isn't focused on me, I don't even know what he's focused on.’”

During the press conference, Trump admitted that he watches CNN, singling out anchor Don Lemon without directly using his name, even though he considers the network to be “fake news.”

With that in mind, Tapper directed a message directly at the president, who he said is still “fixated on whether or not he legitimately won the presidency.”

President Trump, if you're watching, you legitimately won the presidency,” Tapper told him. “Now get to work and stop whining about it.

#759 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9613 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 08:29 PM

LFC, on 16 February 2017 - 12:58 PM, said:

Then he's a false god. DUH!

Like this?

Posted Image
"What the Nazis were doing was not describing what was true, but what would have to be true to justify what they planned to do next." — Hannah Arendt in her book The Origins of Totalitarianism

"No nation is permitted to live in ignorance with impunity." Thomas Jefferson: Virginia Board of Visitors Minutes, 1821

“Nixon and his successors hid behind ideology and obscured the contradictions by pursuing a strategy I would call 'no-fault bigotry.'” — William Greider

“It’s not ‘Nation Building’, We are Assisting them in Building their Nation” — Marco Rubio on Iraq

“I should apologize for all of my stories that you wished were true and turned out not to be.” — Andy Borowitz

“Republicans want smaller government for the same reason that crooks want fewer cops: it's easier to get away with murder.” — James Carville

"It is a truism that almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so, and will follow it by suppressing opposition, subverting all education to seize early the minds of the young, and by killing, locking up, or driving underground all heretics." — Robert A. Heinlein, Postscript, Revolt in 2100

"As long you have racism, as long as you have Islamophobia, as long as you have rampant misogyny, you're going to have the wellsprings of fascist sensibility." Chris Vials

#760 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11034 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 16 February 2017 - 08:38 PM

LFC, on 16 February 2017 - 04:32 PM, said:

These are Schrodinger's Leaks; both fake and illegal.
You win the educated internet. But for your spell checker...
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."-- Winston Churchill
"We never threaten anyone. We just explain the situation." Russian spokesman

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users