#4161 Probabilistic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2330 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 09:23 AM

Wow!

A Conservative Judge Draws a Line in the Sand With the Trump Administration
Outraged the attorney general had ignored a court order, he authors a blistering opinion rebuking William Barr for overstepping his constitutional authority.

In a jaw-dropping opinion issued by the 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Chicago on January 23, Judge Frank Easterbrook—a longtime speaker for the conservative Federalist Society and someone whom the late Justice Antonin Scalia favored to replace him on the U.S. Supreme Court—rebuked Attorney General William Barr for declaring in a letter that the court’s decision in an immigration case was “incorrect” and thus dispensable.

“We have never before encountered defiance of a remand order, and we hope never to see it again,” Easterbrook wrote.

In 1803, the U.S. Supreme Court in Marbury v. Madison established the bedrock principle that federal judges review the constitutionality of actions by the other branches of government...

In defying the 7th Circuit, therefore, Attorney General Barr challenged the validity of Marbury v. Madison itself—and thus the federal judiciary’s authority to say what the law is and have it stick.

#4162 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10505 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 13 February 2020 - 09:30 AM

And nobody who matters will care.
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#4163 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32137 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 13 February 2020 - 09:35 AM

View PostProbabilistic, on 13 February 2020 - 09:23 AM, said:

Wow!

Moscow Mitch has understood the need to install compliant complicit judges for years. I suspect the Federalist Society has been upping lowering their game.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#4164 Probabilistic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2330 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 11:08 AM

View PostD. C. Sessions, on 13 February 2020 - 09:30 AM, said:

And nobody who matters will care.

View PostLFC, on 13 February 2020 - 09:35 AM, said:

Moscow Mitch has understood the need to install compliant complicit judges for years. I suspect the Federalist Society has been upping lowering their game.

The next domino in our democracy to fall would be Trump's outright defiance of a Supreme Court order. Republican Senators would express their understanding of Presidential frustrations. They would blame the Democrats for pushing Trump in to a corner. Susan Collins would express concern and then dutifully vote to support Mitch's plan.

#4165 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6299 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 13 February 2020 - 02:43 PM

View PostProbabilistic, on 13 February 2020 - 11:08 AM, said:

The next domino in our democracy to fall would be Trump's outright defiance of a Supreme Court order. Republican Senators would express their understanding of Presidential frustrations. They would blame the Democrats for pushing Trump in to a corner. Susan Collins would express concern and then dutifully vote to support Mitch's plan.

I think the bet is that the Supreme Court won't order him to do anything that he doesn't want to do.

#4166 Probabilistic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2330 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 03:14 PM

View Postgolden_valley, on 13 February 2020 - 02:43 PM, said:

I think the bet is that the Supreme Court won't order him to do anything that he doesn't want to do.

That is already happening today: commandeering appropriations for the wall, defying Congressional subpoenas, defying laws in cases Trump is directly involved etc. However, to establish complete supremacy there has to be an outward show of dominance too; remove any doubt about even the theoretical possibility.

#4167 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6299 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 13 February 2020 - 06:30 PM

Barr went on ABC News and said

“I think it’s time to stop the tweeting about Department of Justice criminal cases,” Barr said in an interview with ABC News, adding that such statements “about the department, about people in the department, our men and women here, about cases pending here, and about judges before whom we have cases, make it impossible for me to do my job and to assure the courts and the prosecutors and the department that we’re doing our work with integrity.”

#4168 JackD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2012 posts
  • LocationChicago area

Posted 13 February 2020 - 09:20 PM

Barr is pathetic, although dangerous. Maybe there's a little hope in his concern for how his fellow professionals perceive him. Trump has exposed him as the Roy Cohn he is.

#4169 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10505 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 13 February 2020 - 09:23 PM

The trouble with attaching yourself to a stupid master is that your master will insist on proving his mastery over you in public.
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#4170 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32137 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 19 February 2020 - 12:55 PM

View Postgolden_valley, on 13 February 2020 - 06:30 PM, said:

More whining from Barr because Trump's tweets make his crimes and corruption more public. He's more of the quiet, behind the scenes sycophant. It's just more theater reality TV.

Three prominent news outlets reported this morning, citing unnamed administration officials, that the attorney general is mulling resigning over President Trump’s tweets about the Roger Stone case.

The Justice Department outright denied these claims, but it’s not the first time Barr has been publicly distanced from the President — whether by his own volition or not — since his department suddenly reversed its sentencing recommendation for Stone just hours after Trump tweeted criticism of the DOJ’s initial recommendation.

Last week, both Barr and Trump claimed that Barr was not directed to reverse course on the sentencing of Trump’s former associate, but Barr conceded to ABC News that Trump’s tweets about criminal cases make it “impossible” for him to do his job. As many-a-pundits have pointed out, that Barr admission was likely just an attempt to save face. Rather than admit that much of his time as head of the Justice Department has been devoted to digging into Trump’s political crusades, he suggested that Trump’s interference make it difficult for him to appear impartial.

And the latest reports about him mulling an exit smell eerily similar. He’s not bound to any decision because his department has combatted the reports on-the-record, but cable news will likely spend the day discussing whether the attorney general has had enough, in turn elevating the appearance of — or at least, the consideration of — impartiality.

But that’s just a theory.

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users