#21 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9656 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 09 November 2016 - 08:42 PM

View PostProgressive whisperer, on 09 November 2016 - 05:00 PM, said:

When they work for Trump, he defined them as the best.

... and then refuses to pay them for inferior work.
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#22 baw1064

formerly of the public sector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4856 posts
  • LocationEarthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanos--oh my!

Posted 10 November 2016 - 01:02 AM

View PostD. C. Sessions, on 09 November 2016 - 08:42 PM, said:

... and then refuses to pay them for inferior work.

That might actually be called for in the case of some defense contractors...
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” --Dr. Seuss

#23 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13177 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 01:42 AM

Trump Picks Top Climate Skeptic to Lead EPA Transition

Donald Trump has selected one of the best-known climate skeptics to lead his U.S. EPA transition team, according to two sources close to the campaign.

Myron Ebell, director of the Center for Energy and Environment at the conservative Competitive Enterprise Institute, is spearheading Trump’s transition plans for EPA, the sources said.

The Trump team has also lined up leaders for its Energy Department and Interior Department teams. Republican energy lobbyist Mike McKenna is heading the DOE team; former Interior Department solicitor David Bernhardt is leading the effort for that agency, according to sources close to the campaign.

“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It's simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

— Carl Sagan

Pray for Trump: Psalm 109:8

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#24 Rich T Bikkies

Trainee Basil Fawlty. Practising Victor Meldrew

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4228 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, UK

Posted 10 November 2016 - 05:32 AM

Guardian: Sarah Palin as Secretary of the Interior? Surely the Graun's source was joking?
Reality is a hallucination caused by alcohol deprivation.

Only Satan can rebuke sin. The righteous don't know enough.

God is not dead. He was merely voted out of office.

You can do anything with anybody if you just save them the trouble of thinking.

#25 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28410 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 10 November 2016 - 10:09 AM

View PostBanty, on 09 November 2016 - 04:40 PM, said:

Seriously, they're having problems for some things as A-listers are turning them down.

http://www.thedailyb...urity-jobs.html

Vladimir Putin has now had greater success in hamstringing the U.S. intelligence system than all of his predecessors combined. To borrow a line that was used under the current administration, "Thanks, O-Donald!"
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#26 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28410 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 10 November 2016 - 10:11 AM

View PostAnBr, on 10 November 2016 - 01:42 AM, said:

The Republican war on science and reality continues. And yes, this IS the Republican Party. This is what they fought so hard for, literally for decades. They made this so they have to own it. When things invariably turn to shit they'll turn on him just like they turned on W, but he represents the heart and soul (metaphorically since he has neither a heart nor a soul) of the GOP now.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#27 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10233 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 10:25 AM

View PostLFC, on 10 November 2016 - 10:09 AM, said:

Vladimir Putin has now had greater success in hamstringing the U.S. intelligence system than all of his predecessors combined. To borrow a line that was used under the current administration, "Thanks, O-Donald!"

I don't, wasn't a Soviet mole in charge of FBI counter-intel for two decades?

That plus Hoover and people still respect the FBI (although the FBI, or at least some of it's agents, did push back against Bush/Cheney torture regime, not effectively, but they tried).
Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#28 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9656 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 09:40 AM

View PostLFC, on 10 November 2016 - 10:11 AM, said:

The Republican war on science and reality continues. And yes, this IS the Republican Party. This is what they fought so hard for, literally for decades. They made this so they have to own it. When things invariably turn to shit they'll turn on him just like they turned on W, but he represents the heart and soul (metaphorically since he has neither a heart nor a soul) of the GOP now.

Ah, but look at what they can accomplish in the meanwhile. In addition to the Supreme Court, there's repeal of the Voting Rights Act, elimination of the EPA, repeal of the Clean Air Act, the Clean Water Act, turning Medicare over to a voucher system (with no guaranteed issue), turning Social Security private, and (my favorite) selling off Federal lands in sweetheart deals.

Any takers on the Trump Organization getting the Grand Canyon? Although he might settle for Yellowstone or Yosemite.

On the positive side, expect to see voter ID, reduced polling hours, and some other vote suppression go national.
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#29 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13177 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 12:15 PM

Our new Secretary of Education:
Posted Image
“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It's simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

— Carl Sagan

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

#30 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13177 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 01:15 PM

http://www.cnn.com/i...cs/new-cabinet/

— Carl Sagan

— Carl Sagan

— H.L. Mencken

#31 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28410 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 11 November 2016 - 03:48 PM

Here's the transition team. So much for the "blind trust" run by his children that would be separate from his administration. They're not even pretending. Steve Bannon is there of course to bring in a healthy helpin' of racists. And the Florida AG he bribed is on board as well.

President-elect Donald Trump announced the members of his presidential transition committee on Friday. The list includes five members of Congress, Trump’s campaign CEO Stephen Bannon, billionaire investor Peter Thiel, three of his adult children (Ivanka, Donald Jr. and Eric), and RNC Chairman Reince Priebus. The list also includes Rebekah Mercer, the daughter of hedge-fund illionaire and Republican mega-donor Robert Mercer. She oversees much of her father’s political giving. Jared Kushner, the husband of Ivanka Trump, is also a member of the transition committee, in addition to Florida Attorney General Pam Bondi.

#32 Sinan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2732 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 11 November 2016 - 04:09 PM

I keep hearing the term "drain the swamp" from Trump voters. What swamp? You just re-elected almost every single incumbent in Congress. We know what this really means. It means take out every single RINO and Democrat in any position of power or responsibility. Sulla called it "proscription".
"anyone who believes exponential growth can go on forever in a finite world is either a madman or an economist."
Kenneth Boulding

"A person who reads books lives a thousand lives. A person who never reads lives only one"
George Martin

"Is that a real poncho or a Sears poncho?"
Zappa

"and let not mankind bogart love"

Willie Nelson and Colbert

#33 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5713 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 11 November 2016 - 04:15 PM

I doubt Trump knows many people beyond his campaign staff and family, plus a few other billionaires that parted with money to support the campaign. Would he trust RNC recommendations?

#34 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28410 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 11 November 2016 - 04:24 PM

View PostSinan, on 11 November 2016 - 04:09 PM, said:

I keep hearing the term "drain the swamp" from Trump voters. What swamp? You just re-elected almost every single incumbent in Congress. We know what this really means. It means take out every single RINO and Democrat in any position of power or responsibility. Sulla called it "proscription".

And Trump is packing his administration with lobbyists. Trump's Chumps got suckered right outa' the gate, not that they'll realize or admit it.

Remember how Raskolnik recently said that 45% of what a President does is staffing? Well I don't know about the number but remember that this wasn't one of the parts that he was worried about, only the 5% of decision making. I wonder if he's reconsidering that position.

#35 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13121 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 11 November 2016 - 05:30 PM

This is going to be a caricature. But Sinan will be right. The purge will decimation look like croquet.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."-- Winston Churchill
"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices" Voltaire

#36 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9656 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 06:01 PM

View PostLFC, on 11 November 2016 - 03:48 PM, said:

Here's the transition team. So much for the "blind trust" run by his children that would be separate from his administration. They're not even pretending. Steve Bannon is there of course to bring in a healthy helpin' of racists. And the Florida AG he bribed is on board as well.

Three children and a son-in-law. I think we can rule out the Jews, but that still leaves two Americans as potential heirs apparent. I wonder when he'll declare the succession?
— Nate Silver

#37 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9656 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 06:04 PM

View Postbaw1064, on 10 November 2016 - 01:02 AM, said:

That might actually be called for in the case of some defense contractors...

Good point. Might need to have the Trump Organization take over providing military equipment. The F-35 is for losers, for instance, and it's about time we replaced the Apache and M1 Abrams with some weapons with style.
— Nate Silver

#38 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10233 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 07:25 PM

View PostD. C. Sessions, on 11 November 2016 - 06:04 PM, said:

Good point. Might need to have the Trump Organization take over providing military equipment. The F-35 is for losers, for instance, and it's about time we replaced the Apache and M1 Abrams with some weapons with style.

The Russkis have some for sale!

Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#39 Art_Vandelay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 785 posts
  • Location"Somewhere in Middle America"

Posted 12 November 2016 - 08:09 AM

Team Trump Struggling to Fill National-Security Jobs

President-elect Donald Trump is scrambling to line up senior officials to run the government’s sprawling intelligence and homeland security bureaucracy.

Team Trump is struggling to fill numerous key slots or even attract many candidates because hundreds have either sworn they’d never work in a Trump administration or have directly turned down requests to join, multiple current and former U.S. officials with direct knowledge of the transition efforts told The Daily Beast.

Team Trump didn’t expect to win until the campaign’s internal polling a month before the election signaled a possible victory. That’s when senior Trump officials went into overdrive, trying to build a bench of experienced national security candidates with top secret clearances willing to work for a Trump presidency—and they met resistance across the landscape of experienced GOP national security professionals.

One person who met last month with Trump’s national security and homeland security transition team leader said that she confessed that many candidates had flatly rejected attempts to recruit them, believing that Trump was unfit to hold the office of commander in chief.

Who would have guessed that good qualified people wouldn't want to work under Donald Trump? Great, we're going to get the "C" team.

#40 gmat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3344 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 08:42 AM

View PostArt_Vandelay, on 12 November 2016 - 08:09 AM, said:

Team Trump Struggling to Fill National-Security Jobs

Who would have guessed that good qualified people wouldn't want to work under Donald Trump? Great, we're going to get the "C" team.

Not that the A team has done all that well.

That Tomaskey article that was linked -- good point about Buck's County

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users