1437 replies to this topic

#1421 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3391 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 20 May 2017 - 07:31 PM

I don't often read Rod Dreher's stuff on TAC but I looked at this one wherein he asks people to tell him what it would take for them to decide that Trump must go. Interesting reading. Some people are quite happy with what's happening and think the only thing wrong is that evil Democrats or Deep State or MSM keep stirring the pot to prevent Trump from accomplishing his goals.

#1422 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9452 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 10:17 PM

I'll leave this little tidbit from Fox here. When will Republicans apologize to Hillary Clinton?
"What the Nazis were doing was not describing what was true, but what would have to be true to justify what they planned to do next." — Hannah Arendt in her book The Origins of Totalitarianism

"No nation is permitted to live in ignorance with impunity." Thomas Jefferson: Virginia Board of Visitors Minutes, 1821

“Nixon and his successors hid behind ideology and obscured the contradictions by pursuing a strategy I would call 'no-fault bigotry.'” — William Greider

“It’s not ‘Nation Building’, We are Assisting them in Building their Nation” — Marco Rubio on Iraq

“I should apologize for all of my stories that you wished were true and turned out not to be.” — Andy Borowitz

“Republicans want smaller government for the same reason that crooks want fewer cops: it's easier to get away with murder.” — James Carville

"It is a truism that almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so, and will follow it by suppressing opposition, subverting all education to seize early the minds of the young, and by killing, locking up, or driving underground all heretics." — Robert A. Heinlein, Postscript, Revolt in 2100

"As long you have racism, as long as you have Islamophobia, as long as you have rampant misogyny, you're going to have the wellsprings of fascist sensibility." Chris Vials

#1423 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15951 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 21 May 2017 - 10:15 AM

Cheeses H Christ, why the f*** don't they just say that a dog ate Trump's homework? This is amateur hour in political excuse making.

Secretary of State Rex Tillerson on Sunday said that President Donald Trump discussed his abrupt termination of former FBI Director James Comey with Russian officials to prove he was not “distracted” from working to improve the U.S.-Russia relationship.

“I think what the President was trying to convey to the Russians is, ‘Look, I’m not going to be distracted by all these issues that are here at home, that affect us domestically, I’m not going to let that distract from our efforts to see if we can engage with you, engage with Russia,’” Tillerson said on “Fox News Sunday.”

He said that Trump “reemphasized the message to the Russians that the relationship is at a low point.”

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"Didn't vote for Hillary Clinton? Then you own [insert horrible act here]."

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

#1424 indy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7967 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 10:26 AM

Well, the day a President of the United States goes to two Russians to brag about firing an American who served his country almost the entirety of his adult life, whether he considers it done poorly or not, is the day I disown him.

#1425 Probabilistic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1562 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 10:35 AM

How is that a better explanation?! In order to conduct unfettered relationship with Russia, I have to quash the investigation of collusion of my campaign with Russia intended to make me the president (so that I can actually conduct the said unfettered relationship).

He didn't ask Comey to drop the investigation due to national security or advancing foreign policy goals. He said Flynn is a good guy, please don't give him any more grief (lest he lets the cat out of the bag).

Had it truly been a valid reason the directive would have gone through proper channels and not as a hint over a meal. The President asking the FBI director to look aside is interfering with the investigation.

#1426 Art_Vandelay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Location"Somewhere in Middle America"

Posted 21 May 2017 - 10:35 AM

If you work for President Trump, it's time to quit

Sticking with Trump to the bitter end and pretending the unfolding chaos is just "fake news" won't save your reputation as the walls close in. It won't ease the judgment of history. It won't do anything to polish up your future Wikipedia entry.

Cutting ties with a man who is destructive to our values, profoundly divisive, contemptuous of the rule of law and incontrovertibly unfit to serve in the highest office in the land just might. Do it now.

#1427 Probabilistic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1562 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 10:36 AM

View Postindy, on 21 May 2017 - 10:26 AM, said:

Well, the day a President of the United States goes to two Russians to brag about firing an American who served his country almost the entirety of his adult life, whether he considers it done poorly or not, is the day I disown him.

The disdain he has for public service and sacrifice is remarkable. Recall McCain is not a war hero because he got captured.

#1428 nuser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 10:44 AM

Unfortunately this trip to Saudi Arabia will be seen as a huge success .
Trump has toned down his rhetoric on Islam and now implying he was
Only addressing the enemy within Muslim nations ergo terrorists.
Smart move.IMO.

#1429 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8462 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 10:49 AM

Part of the GOP package actually. The distain Shrub and Cheney displayed toward serving and even decorated veterans when they found serving "inconvenient" showed how much they respect those who serve. Swiftboating anyone.

Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#1430 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15951 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 21 May 2017 - 10:50 AM

Not my usual sources of info but thes are interesting. First, Ivanka just took $100 MILLION from the Saudis for her foundation. Remind me, isn't this exactly the type of action that the seething hypocrites right-wingers were screeching about when the money went to the Clinton Foundation, a charity that actually already had an excellent rating and proven track record? It's almost as if they weren't being objective. Hmmmmm.

Coincidentally, the Saudis have also agreed to donate a whopping $100 million to the recently announced women's fund inspired by Jared Kushner’s wife, Ivanka Trump:

The World Bank plans to announce Sunday at an event with Ivanka Trump, the U.S. president’s daughter and senior White House adviser, that Saudi Arabia and United Arab Emirates have pledged $100 million collectively toward a fund for women who own or want to start businesses, according to people familiar with the announcement.
You know what would advance women in Saudi Arabia? Rights. Actual rights guaranteeing their protection and equality.

The Wall Street Journal is quick to note that Ivanka Trump doesn’t personally solicit these donations. It can’t be helped they magically follow her around:

Ms. Trump has made the promotion of women entrepreneurs a signature part of her focus since her father’s inauguration in January. She has advocated for issues such as paid family leave, though the issue has gained little traction in Congress. While she had proposed the idea of the World Bank fund, Ms. Trump doesn’t control it or raise money for it, one person familiar with the plans said.

$100 million is quite the kick starter for a vaguely defined fund, right?

Second we have Donald Trump registering companies like crazy in Saudi Arabia and then selling them $110 BILLION in arms.

As The Washington Post pointed out in November, Trump registered eight companies in Saudi Arabia during his campaign. He also has praised the country repeatedly during rallies and interviews. For example, during a rally on August 21, the same day he created four of the eight companies tied to a hotel project, he said about Saudi Arabia:

‘Saudi Arabia — and I get along great with all of them. They buy apartments from me. They spend $40 million, $50 million. Am I supposed to dislike them? I like them very much.’

Trump also said during a January interview with Bill O’Reilly that he would want to “help” and “protect” Saudi Arabia.

The praise Trump has heaped upon Saudi Arabia, coupled with the fact that he has still yet to fully divest himself from his businesses, is enough to make one question whether or not he had additional motives for the decisions made during Saturday’s meeting.

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

#1431 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15951 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 21 May 2017 - 11:00 AM

And speaking of a $110 BILLION dollar arms sale to Saudi Arabia, who thinks it's a good idea to be sending piles of weapons to one of the largest exporters of Muslim extremism and suppliers of funds and weapons of jihadists (in other countries, of course)? It's amazing how quickly the Republicans forget who was involved in 9/11. Hint: It wasn't Saddam Hussein and it wasn't Iran.

#1432 nuser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 11:30 AM

View Postnuser, on 21 May 2017 - 11:30 AM, said:

Saudi Arabia asses are grinning! they got what they wanted.
Besides :Look at those idiots having hic-ups at our ceremonial
dance.

Saudi Arabia asses are grinning! they got what they wanted.
Besides :Look at those idiots having hiccups at our ceremonial
dance.

#1433 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15951 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 21 May 2017 - 02:06 PM

View PostLFC, on 16 May 2017 - 04:48 PM, said:

Aaaaand McMaster folds like a cheap suit and becomes just another administration apologist. How's it feel to be one of Trump's Chumps and to sacrifice your credibility, dignity, and very soul for a petulant child in front of the whole nation, General?

And now he conveniently becomes braid dead. Seriously? If the President of the United States told Russian officials that the FBI Director was a "nutjob" you don't think that maybe ... just MAYBE ... that's something a top official of the U.S. government might take note of? AFAIC McMaster is now a full Trump whore. Any shred of credibility he had sunk to the bottom of Trump's swamp.

National Security Adviser H.R. McMaster on Sunday said he does not remember whether President Donald Trump told Russian officials that fired FBI Director James Comey was “a real nut job.”

“I don’t remember exactly what the President said,” McMaster said on ABC News’ “This Week.”

The New York Times reported on Friday that Trump told Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov and Russian Ambassador to the U.S. Sergey Kislyak that Comey was “crazy, a real nut job.”

According to the report, Trump also said he had “faced great pressure because of Russia” that was “taken off” by his decision to fire Comey.

White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer did not deny the accuracy of the quotes in the Times’ report. McMaster, however, appeared to question them.

“The notes that they apparently have I do not think are a direct transcript,” McMaster said on Sunday. “It’s very difficult to take a few lines, to take a paragraph out of what appear to be notes of that meeting.”

He said the “intent” of Trump’s comments was to say that he “feels as if he is hamstrung in his ability to work with Russia to find areas of cooperation because this has been obviously so much in the news.”

#1434 nuser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 03:14 PM

Trump probably heard somewhere McCain was not a War Hero
And assumed it was due to he being shot down.
Might one ask :was he?by his own admission he broke under insterrogation
And sang like a Canary. No one can really blame him succumbing
To torture ,but does that make him a war Hero ?

#1435 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9452 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 07:39 PM

View PostArt_Vandelay, on 21 May 2017 - 10:35 AM, said:

Love this from the link:

you're barely making it to the end of the daily news cycle before your verbally incontinent boss, the putative leader of the free world, once again steers the proverbial car into a ditch.

(bold mine)
"What the Nazis were doing was not describing what was true, but what would have to be true to justify what they planned to do next." — Hannah Arendt in her book The Origins of Totalitarianism

"No nation is permitted to live in ignorance with impunity." Thomas Jefferson: Virginia Board of Visitors Minutes, 1821

“Nixon and his successors hid behind ideology and obscured the contradictions by pursuing a strategy I would call 'no-fault bigotry.'” — William Greider

“It’s not ‘Nation Building’, We are Assisting them in Building their Nation” — Marco Rubio on Iraq

“I should apologize for all of my stories that you wished were true and turned out not to be.” — Andy Borowitz

“Republicans want smaller government for the same reason that crooks want fewer cops: it's easier to get away with murder.” — James Carville

"It is a truism that almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so, and will follow it by suppressing opposition, subverting all education to seize early the minds of the young, and by killing, locking up, or driving underground all heretics." — Robert A. Heinlein, Postscript, Revolt in 2100

"As long you have racism, as long as you have Islamophobia, as long as you have rampant misogyny, you're going to have the wellsprings of fascist sensibility." Chris Vials

#1436 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6111 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 21 May 2017 - 07:57 PM

View Postnuser, on 21 May 2017 - 03:14 PM, said:

Trump probably heard somewhere McCain was not a War Hero
And assumed it was due to he being shot down.
Might one ask :was he?by his own admission he broke under insterrogation
And sang like a Canary. No one can really blame him succumbing
To torture ,but does that make him a war Hero ?

Disclaimer: I hate McCain. The guy has the morals of a rabid wolverine.

That said, he was (thanks to Admiral Daddy) offered early reparation and turned it down. Repeatedly. That's a big part of why he was chosen for special treatment that is a big part of why he walks with difficulty today and has only partial use of one hand. That whole, "I'll go home when the rest of us do" thing tends to impress people in the Services, and I doubt that Trump will ever understand why.
The buck stops here; the rest is someone else's problem.
The purpose of "defense spending" isn't "defense," it's "spending."
First they came for the Muslims, and we said "Not this time, motherfucker!"
Our Party! In her relations with other Americans may she always be in the right; but Our Party, right or wrong!

#1437 nuser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 10:15 PM

McCain!s plane crashed and in the ensuing crash he broke both arms and one leg.
Which left him with a permanent inability to raise his arms
By his own admission he broke .
McCain is now an outspoken critic of torture and that is
a good outcome.

#1438 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8462 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 05:09 AM

nuser, on 21 May 2017 - 10:15 PM, said:

McCain!s plane crashed and in the ensuing crash he broke both arms and one leg.
Which left him with a permanent inability to raise his arms
By his own admission he broke .
McCain is now an outspoken critic of torture and that is
a good outcome.

Sure, except for the part where he continues to support administrations that torture, and wars against almost anyone (in which we end up using torture).

Reagan never served (except in Hollywood), yet he signed the treaty banning torture, which Bush the lesser and minions violated), and stated directly "Americans Do Not Torture." The Bush/Cheney interpretation of that was "If Americans do it, it isn't torture".

Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users