863 replies to this topic

#861 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14978 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 01 March 2017 - 01:29 PM

And the swamp gets even swampier with Trump's pick for Secretary of the Air Force, military-industrial dirtbag lobbyist Heather Wilson.

Trump’s nominees for Army secretary and Navy secretary have both recently stepped aside because of concerns over how those jobs might conflict with their private business interests. But he’s designated as the new Air Force secretary a former New Mexico Congresswoman, Heather Wilson, who’s a veteran of wheeling and dealing in Washington on behalf of private defense industry clients that paid her lucrative consulting fees.

Just a day after she left Congress in 2009, Wilson went to work as a “strategic adviser” for Sandia Corporation in Albuquerque, which runs a laboratory that helps design and manufacture America’s nuclear weapons and is a subsidiary of defense giant Lockheed Martin. The contract to run Sandia was coming to an end, and Wilson’s assignment was to convince the government to extend it without competition. Soon after, she took on a similar advising role for contractors running Los Alamos National Lab, another designer and maker of nuclear bombs.

But federal auditors at the Energy Department and one of its subsidiary agencies quickly grew alarmed because Wilson refused to account for how she was spending any of her time, even while accepting $20,000 monthly from the national labs. That prompted one auditor to call a fraud hotline operated by the Justice Department, which then kicked off an investigation of its own.

The Justice probe concluded that the payments to Wilson were part of an improper effort by the Lockheed subsidiary to bill the government for money spent lobbying the government for more business. The Lockheed Martin subsidiary settled those allegations in 2015 by paying the government $4.7 million, but denied any wrongdoing. So did Wilson.

But now, if Wilson is confirmed, she’ll be responsible for overseeing the Air Force’s voluminous interactions with Lockheed — the same firm that paid her $226,378 for two years of “strategic advising.” And Lockheed is not just another contractor. As of 2015, the latest year available, Lockheed had 3,982 outstanding Air Force contracts worth $7.4 billion — making it the largest single contractor to the Air Force. One of the biggest of those contracts involves the F-35 fighter jet, a plane that has been plagued by massive cost overruns and technical snafus.

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"Didn't vote for Hillary Clinton? Then you own [insert horrible act here]."

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

#862 Rich T Bikkies

Trainee Basil Fawlty. Practising Victor Meldrew

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2877 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, UK

Posted 01 March 2017 - 01:34 PM

View PostRich T Bikkies, on 01 March 2017 - 11:02 AM, said:

Or perhaps at last — at long last — he's getting with the program?

Well, no harm in asking.

I was being ironical here. My true reaction was "he didn't write this; he couldn't" and "just wait till he starts tweeting again: business as usual".
Reality is a hallucination caused by alcohol deprivation.

Only Satan can rebuke sin. The righteous don't know enough.

God is not dead. He was merely voted out of office.

You can do anything with anybody if you just save them the trouble of thinking.

#863 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10652 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 01 March 2017 - 02:09 PM

View PostLFC, on 01 March 2017 - 12:41 PM, said:

The bar of Trump "performing" is now based on a combination of Bush's incompetence, Bush's inability to speak coherently and like an adult, Congressional Republican lack of policy detail, and now any attachment to truth. I can just hear the MSM in a year.
I think I understated it. It isn't just the Overton window that has been dramatically shifted. It is also the "reality" window. Now its Ok to have different facts.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."-- Winston Churchill
"We never threaten anyone. We just explain the situation." Russian spokesman

#864 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8206 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 02:30 PM

Traveler, on 01 March 2017 - 02:09 PM, said:

I think I understated it. It isn't just the Overton window that has been dramatically shifted. It is also the "reality" window. Now its Ok to have different facts.

Moynihan has been spinning in his grave for years now.
Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users