568 replies to this topic

#21 Rich T Bikkies

Trainee Basil Fawlty. Practising Victor Meldrew

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4127 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, UK

Posted 16 June 2016 - 11:19 AM

It's a week from today, Thursday 23rd June, and the polls are saying the bad guys are going to win.

What changed the game was that Farage, or Ian Duncan Smith, or some such right-wing dicquède, said earlier in the campaign "When we're out of Europe we can fix up a trade deal with the USA in 5 mins flat, easy-peasy, they love us over there" and your highly esteemed POTUS said in his gentle, polite, statesmanlike but firm manner "Sorry guys, but you'll have to stand in line[1] to get a new trade deal. Can't fix it just like that, and anyway it takes years to do one of them”.

This blew two-thirds of the Brexit case out of the water, and when the Outers had recovered from the shock they started Playing the Race Card. Nudge nudge, wink wink, say no more, but they called it "immigration". That's what's got them ahead in the polls.

I'm not a happy man.
Reality is a hallucination caused by alcohol deprivation.

Only Satan can rebuke sin. The righteous don't know enough.

God is not dead. He was merely voted out of office.

You can do anything with anybody if you just save them the trouble of thinking.

#22 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10233 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 11:56 AM

Now it seems one of your nutters has murdered a Labour MP over it.

There seems to be a dark and violent undercurrent in the world lately.
Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#23 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13033 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 16 June 2016 - 12:00 PM

Aw same shit, different day... Its just out in the open. One encouraging aspect is that CNN seems to be waking up to the consequences of its "both sides do it" meme.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."-- Winston Churchill
"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices" Voltaire

#24 Rich T Bikkies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4127 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, UK

Posted 16 June 2016 - 12:03 PM

God! The first I've heard that that she died! Must have been announced in the last hour.

I've just looked at the Guardian online: he shouted "Britain First". My God, that will poison an already poisonous campaign.

#25 Rich T Bikkies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4127 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, UK

Posted 16 June 2016 - 12:05 PM

We don't DO guns in this country. We don't WANT to do guns in this country. We don't wish to become the 51st United State.

#26 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13033 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 16 June 2016 - 12:18 PM

Rich,

It was handmade apparently. Did the job, no? This should have interesting repercussions on the vote.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."-- Winston Churchill
"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices" Voltaire

#27 Rich T Bikkies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4127 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, UK

Posted 16 June 2016 - 12:40 PM

View PostTraveler, on 16 June 2016 - 12:18 PM, said:

It was handmade apparently. Did the job, no?

Weird.

View PostTraveler, on 16 June 2016 - 12:18 PM, said:

This should have interesting repercussions on the vote.

Because it's Britain I don't think the Brexiters will be crowing too much. We don't like Nazis. "Britain First" is an extreme right-wing party - I'd never heard of them - that even Farage and Friends won't touch with a ten-foot pole.

Interesting repercussions? Not on the vote, perhaps, but on the tone of the campaign? No crowing, but it will be exploited in some other unpleasant way. Thank God there's only a week to go.

#28 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12970 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 01:19 PM

View PostRich T Bikkies, on 16 June 2016 - 11:19 AM, said:

I'm not a happy man.

Here is something to put a smile on your face.

Pray for Trump: Psalm 109:8

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#29 Rich T Bikkies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4127 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, UK

Posted 16 June 2016 - 01:39 PM

View PostAnBr, on 16 June 2016 - 01:19 PM, said:

Here is something to put a smile on your face.

It did the biz! And also saved me from researching to back up my earlier unsupported statements.

#30 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10233 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 02:12 PM

View PostRich T Bikkies, on 16 June 2016 - 01:39 PM, said:

It did the biz! And also saved me from researching to back up my earlier unsupported statements.

What have the Romans ever done for us?

Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#31 HockeyDon

Mind blown...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3651 posts
  • LocationNew Britain, CT

Posted 20 June 2016 - 11:42 AM

John Oliver touches on this...

Well, fuck.

How can I be expected to distinguish BS from reality when so much of my reality is utter BS?!

"There seems to be a lot of people dying of ignorance while living in the information age." my sister-in-law.

#32 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10233 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 12:08 PM

View PostHockeyDon, on 20 June 2016 - 11:42 AM, said:

John Oliver touches on this...

LGM has a take on the leftist, or Labour, folks wanting out:

http://www.lawyersgu...e-fools-journey

Basically sounds Trumpish, they are unhappy at "things" and want change: the fact that the change they are going with will not help and might make things worse is less important than that it is change.

Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#33 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12970 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 06:56 PM

"This is the best argument for Britain to leave the European Union"

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

#34 J-CA

Probably in one of my drunken stupors..

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4679 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 10:12 PM

Well that economist certainly begs the question for just who is opposed to fiscal transfers (Hint: It rhymes with Chermany).
I am the burrito until someone hands me to a philosopher.

#35 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12970 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 12:12 AM

That is what occurred to me as well.

— Carl Sagan

— H.L. Mencken

#36 MSheridan

Human, for lack of options

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2597 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 23 June 2016 - 01:28 PM

As a reminder, the BBC will begin covering their election results online starting at 22:00 BST (which is when their polls close). So we only have another 2 1/2 hours to go before we start getting an idea of how this may have gone.

#37 baw1064

formerly of the public sector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4796 posts
  • LocationEarthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanos--oh my!

Posted 23 June 2016 - 08:46 PM

Looking much closer than expected.
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” --Dr. Seuss

#38 Bact PhD

Frustrated, Thoughtful Independent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1744 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 23 June 2016 - 09:33 PM

Yup. IIRC, the conventional wisdom was that the south would be heavy "Remain"; there was concern that unusually heavy rains would affect turnout and the overall "Remain" total.
Gonna be a nail-biter until the counting's done.
Politics these days is show business. Elections are Dancing with the Stars with consequences. ~Rue Bella

(About fame) Living for likes, shares and follows is a form of validation. The question is whether it is also the source of our self esteem. If it is, we’re screwed. And, culturally, it seems as if it’s become more and more our shared value. ... Meringue is no longer a sweet and pretty topping but the body itself. ~Charles Perez

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." --Thomas Jefferson to Charles Yancey, 1816. ME 14:384, via LFC, 12/1/2016

Competent people go in one of a few directions. But incompetence is infinite. ~David Brooks, NY Times

#39 baw1064

formerly of the public sector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4796 posts
  • LocationEarthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanos--oh my!

Posted 23 June 2016 - 09:50 PM

Or maybe not a nail-biter. A difference of almost 500,000 votes in favor of leave. Probably a lot will depend on where the remainder of the totals will come from.
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” --Dr. Seuss

#40 Bact PhD

Frustrated, Thoughtful Independent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1744 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 23 June 2016 - 10:00 PM

Been flipping back-and-forth for a while, though, depending on which areas have reported most recently.
Politics these days is show business. Elections are Dancing with the Stars with consequences. ~Rue Bella

(About fame) Living for likes, shares and follows is a form of validation. The question is whether it is also the source of our self esteem. If it is, we’re screwed. And, culturally, it seems as if it’s become more and more our shared value. ... Meringue is no longer a sweet and pretty topping but the body itself. ~Charles Perez

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." --Thomas Jefferson to Charles Yancey, 1816. ME 14:384, via LFC, 12/1/2016

Competent people go in one of a few directions. But incompetence is infinite. ~David Brooks, NY Times

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users