#541 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12856 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 09:34 AM

Posted Image
Pray for Trump: Psalm 109:8

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#542 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27481 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 15 May 2019 - 10:03 AM

Probably unfair but who gives a crap.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#543 Rich T Bikkies

Trainee Basil Fawlty. Practising Victor Meldrew

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4078 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, UK

Posted 15 May 2019 - 04:03 PM

Posted Image
Reality is a hallucination caused by alcohol deprivation.

Only Satan can rebuke sin. The righteous don't know enough.

God is not dead. He was merely voted out of office.

You can do anything with anybody if you just save them the trouble of thinking.

#544 Rich T Bikkies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4078 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, UK

Posted 24 May 2019 - 05:15 AM

She's gone. Now working out her notice period until 7th June, two weeks today. And it looks like we're getting Boris as her successor by the summer. Explanation: first all card-carrying Conservative Party members vote on the list of nominees; then the winner and runner-up are presented to the caucus of Conservative MPs who vote to pick the outright winner.

Boris will top the poll of all members by miles. However, more and more Tory MPs are going to support Boris, even the members (until quite recently) of the any-one-but-Boris tendency, because they're scared shitless of losing their seats at the general election, or of getting deselected as candidates by their mad swivel-eyed loon local members. (Does this remind you of anything, my beloved American friends?) So Boris now looks odds-on to succeed the Maybot — the LINO — as Prime Minister of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (as it is nostalgically called at the moment).

For the first time since I started attending Quaker Meeting in November 2010, I am actually quaking.

#545 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27481 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 24 May 2019 - 08:41 AM

View PostRich T Bikkies, on 24 May 2019 - 05:15 AM, said:

Boris will top the poll of all members by miles. However, more and more Tory MPs are going to support Boris, even the members (until quite recently) of the any-one-but-Boris tendency, because they're scared shitless of losing their seats at the general election, or of getting deselected as candidates by their mad swivel-eyed loon local members. (Does this remind you of anything, my beloved American friends?) So Boris now looks odds-on to succeed the Maybot — the LINO — as Prime Minister of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (as it is nostalgically called at the moment).

So Britain may get a Tory Trump? My question is if he'll really want it at this point. I suspect he was hoping that Brexit would go through under May, o matter how horribly, and he could ride in on his white horse to save the day. If he becomes PM he owns the outcome no matter how much he whines about the deal that May cut.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#546 Rich T Bikkies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4078 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, UK

Posted 24 May 2019 - 09:19 AM

View PostLFC, on 24 May 2019 - 08:41 AM, said:

So Britain may get a Tory Trump? My question is if he'll really want it at this point. I suspect he was hoping that Brexit would go through under May, no matter how horribly, and he could ride in on his white horse to save the day. If he becomes PM he owns the outcome no matter how much he whines about the deal that May cut.

That is an excellent point, and perhaps the UK's last hope. But even if he does do a bunk, the other candidates don't inspire. Michael Gove and Penny Mordaunt are the closest approximation to human beings and competent Secretaries of State available IMO (which means not close at all), but every possible candidate has one fatal defect.

They have to deliver Brexit. And the only Brexits available for delivery range from disastrous to catastrophic.

#547 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12856 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 10:40 AM

Boris Johnson could be prosecuted for misconduct in public office over lies Britain gives £350m to the EU per week

BREAKING: Boris Johnson could be prosecuted for misconduct in public office over his claims Britain gives £350m to the EU per week.

A district judge today reserved judgement over whether the private prosecution against the former foreign secretary would go ahead.

Brexiteers used the slogan ‘We send the EU £350 million a week – let’s fund our NHS instead” in the run-up to the 2016 referendum.

Johnson was rapped by a national statistics watchdog over the claim and appeared in hustings with the slogan in the background.

Today District Judge Margot Coleman reserved judgement over whether the former foreign secretary could be prosecuted under the public misconduct charge.

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

#548 Rich T Bikkies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4078 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, UK

Posted 24 May 2019 - 10:46 AM

View PostAnBr, on 24 May 2019 - 10:40 AM, said:

Yes. And ten years ago the mere possiblity would have killed his career.

Whereas . . . these days . . .

#549 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27481 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 24 May 2019 - 11:53 AM

View PostRich T Bikkies, on 24 May 2019 - 10:46 AM, said:

Sounds eerily familiar. I guess the days when we could grab politicians by the morals are over.

#550 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9318 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 24 May 2019 - 02:49 PM

View PostRich T Bikkies, on 24 May 2019 - 09:19 AM, said:

They have to deliver Brexit. And the only Brexits available for delivery range from disastrous to catastrophic.

And what if they can't get a Brexit through Parliament? Any chance of someone sane either pulling the plug (doubtful) or doing a face-saving re-plebiscite after all?
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#551 Rich T Bikkies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4078 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, UK

Posted 24 May 2019 - 02:59 PM

View PostD. C. Sessions, on 24 May 2019 - 02:49 PM, said:

And what if they can't get a Brexit through Parliament? Any chance of someone sane either pulling the plug (doubtful) or doing a face-saving re-plebiscite after all?

Brexit with a negotiated deal looks like a dead duck, whoever becomes Prime Minister. To stay in, Article 50 must be revoked explicitly by the UK Government. If we sit and do nothing we exit with no deal on 29th October. If the political class rush around like headless chickens from now until 29th October, we also exit with no deal.

My ideal solution would be for rising levels of panic to lead to sanity breaking in and revoking Article 50. But panic doesn't work like that.

#552 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12856 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 03:49 PM

View PostRich T Bikkies, on 24 May 2019 - 10:46 AM, said:

The same forces there as we have here. Between Russia's manipulations and Murdoch's propaganda empire willing to do Putin's bidding. The entire West needs to take action to not allow it to happen to them as well.

— Carl Sagan

— H.L. Mencken

#553 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9318 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 25 May 2019 - 05:28 PM

View PostRich T Bikkies, on 24 May 2019 - 02:59 PM, said:

My ideal solution would be for rising levels of panic to lead to sanity breaking in and revoking Article 50. But panic doesn't work like that.

Yup. So, as the saying goes, "assume the position."
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users