#761 Bact PhD

Frustrated, Thoughtful Independent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1840 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 02 December 2018 - 06:22 PM

View PostHockeyDon, on 02 December 2018 - 05:58 PM, said:

In all honesty, I view it as a bit of a double-edged sword. There are so many aspects of my day-to-day routine that are mind-numbingly repetitive and that could be done by a well-trained high school dropout. For those things, it would be nice to let computers take care of it. On the other hand, the idea that computers will be making the sort of intuitive leaps people make now (in this specific case, engineers) but rather through the raw brute strength of computing power should be enough worry nearly every profession.

Chem PhD could identify with the first part of this paragraph. He’ll frequently refer to “lab chimp” work, LOL. Yet there are those days...
Politics these days is show business. Elections are Dancing with the Stars with consequences. ~Rue Bella

(About fame) Living for likes, shares and follows is a form of validation. The question is whether it is also the source of our self esteem. If it is, we’re screwed. And, culturally, it seems as if it’s become more and more our shared value. ... Meringue is no longer a sweet and pretty topping but the body itself. ~Charles Perez

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." --Thomas Jefferson to Charles Yancey, 1816. ME 14:384, via LFC, 12/1/2016

Competent people go in one of a few directions. But incompetence is infinite. ~David Brooks, NY Times

#762 Bact PhD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1840 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 02 December 2018 - 06:27 PM

View PostD. C. Sessions, on 02 December 2018 - 10:09 AM, said:

I doubt most US hospitals even stock chloramphenicol.

They’d probably have to call around to the research labs over in the Basic Science wing of the nearest Med school. Believe it or not, it’s still used over there. :-)
Politics these days is show business. Elections are Dancing with the Stars with consequences. ~Rue Bella

(About fame) Living for likes, shares and follows is a form of validation. The question is whether it is also the source of our self esteem. If it is, we’re screwed. And, culturally, it seems as if it’s become more and more our shared value. ... Meringue is no longer a sweet and pretty topping but the body itself. ~Charles Perez

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." --Thomas Jefferson to Charles Yancey, 1816. ME 14:384, via LFC, 12/1/2016

Competent people go in one of a few directions. But incompetence is infinite. ~David Brooks, NY Times

#763 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9822 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 02 December 2018 - 07:27 PM

View PostBact PhD, on 02 December 2018 - 06:27 PM, said:

They’d probably have to call around to the research labs over in the Basic Science wing of the nearest Med school. Believe it or not, it’s still used over there. :-)

Like typhoid? Apparently it's sufficiently better in terms of effect that the net mortality is lower even given the anemia.
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#764 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29256 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 19 December 2018 - 09:48 PM

Models and photographers are feeling the march of technology. Stock photography is the first area to take the hit.

Check out these rather ordinary looking portraits. They’re all fake. Not in the sense that they were Photoshopped, but rather they were completely generated by artificial intelligence. That’s right: none of these people actually exist.

NVIDIA researchers have published a new paper on easily customizing the style of realistic faces created by a generative adversarial network (GAN).

None of these are real people.

Posted Image

These are all fake cars:

Posted Image
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#765 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29256 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 03 January 2019 - 11:03 PM

I haven't had a chance to get through it yet but this article covers the topic of the wealth gap. Nothing new for us TRSers but just more evidence that everything Republicans say about giving the wealthy more, more, and yet more is a steaming pile of Trump.

YOU are probably aware that there are high levels of inequality in the world and that inequality is getting worse. But it is unlikely that you appreciate just how unequal things are. So here is a way of visualising it. Take the wealth of the eight richest people on the planet and combine it. Now do the same for the poorest 3.5 billion. The two sums are the same, £350 billion. Correct: just eight people own as much wealth as half of the world’s population.

That is just one of many eye-watering measures of inequality. Consider that in the US, almost 85 per cent of the wealth is owned by just 20 per cent of the population, and the bottom 40 per cent own just 0.3 per cent of it. In 1960, a chief executive in the US typically earned 20 times as much as an average worker. Today it is more like 354 times.

Most people find these numbers shocking, even obscene, and inequality has become one of the world’s most serious issues. Early in his second term, President Obama called it “the defining challenge of our time”; Pope Francis has described it as “the root of social evil”. The general public also rank it highly. When the Pew Research Center asked people in 44 countries whether they thought the gap between rich and poor was a “big problem”, a majority in all 44 said it was. A majority in 28 said it was a “very big” problem.

The idea that inequality needs to be reduced now almost goes without saying. I agree – but my training as a cognitive scientist warns me we should be careful how we go about it. Some fights for equality, such as against racial prejudice, are morally straightforward. But the battle against economic inequality isn’t so simple.

As surprising as it might seem at first, some economic inequality is actually morally good. I recently explored this issue in the journal Nature Human Behaviour with two of my colleagues at Yale, Christina Starmans and Paul Bloom. We concluded that a crucial step in fighting inequality is realising that it is not all bad. If we want to beat inequality, we must first distinguish between the bad sort and the good sort.

Posted Image
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#766 Beelzebuddy

Convenient Target of Irrational Fears

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1831 posts
  • LocationAustin

Posted 04 January 2019 - 10:39 AM

If we want to beat inequality, we must first distinguish between the bad sort and the good sort.

Don't leave me hanging bra!
Fear Sells!

Cui bono?

"The real problem of humanity is the following: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and god-like technology." - EO Wilson.

"Hell is truth seen too late" - T Hobbes

#767 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29256 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 04 January 2019 - 11:56 AM

View PostBeelzebuddy, on 04 January 2019 - 10:39 AM, said:

Don't leave me hanging bra!

Words uttered by heavily "endowed" women everywhere.

#768 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13324 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 09:28 AM

Industrial concentration is driving income inequality

Almost all the focus in industrial concentration has been on profits, productivity, and investment, but the biggest impact has been on wages. Workers have systematically lost power versus large companies that now dominate industries.

Dozens of studies now document how industrial concentration is driving income inequality. The smoking gun, however, has been missing. Researchers had the intuition but could not prove that monopsonies, particularly at the local level, affected consumer wages.

“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It's simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

— Carl Sagan

Pray for Trump: Psalm 109:8

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#769 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13215 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 08 January 2019 - 10:14 AM

This. Not enough likes for that article.

Passing on cost savings to consumers is a wonderful story that has no basis in reality. Dozens of economic studies have shown that businesses don’t get more efficient after a merger. The simple truth is that they make more money because they gain market power and can get away with higher prices. Professor Rodolfo Grullon found in his major study on industrial concentration that there is no clear relation between the efficient use of assets and concentration. The main reason companies made money was because they had market power.

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."-- Winston Churchill
"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices" Voltaire

#770 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13215 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 11 January 2019 - 05:55 PM

This looks really interesting, for those here far more competent than me. It came from this article by Fox. Bottom line, the tax cuts hurt.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."-- Winston Churchill
"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices" Voltaire

#771 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13324 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 11:08 AM

Former Google exec: AI will replace 40 percent of jobs in 15 years
“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It's simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

— Carl Sagan

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

#772 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29256 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 23 January 2019 - 11:45 AM

View PostAnBr, on 23 January 2019 - 11:08 AM, said:

I plan to retire in 10 years so I'll be getting in just under the wire!

#773 Practical Girl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8141 posts
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 23 January 2019 - 12:18 PM

View PostLFC, on 23 January 2019 - 11:45 AM, said:

I plan to retire in 10 years so I'll be getting in just under the wire!

Yay! But don't be so fast, just yet. So- we have a whole bunch of AI, with a whole bunch of incredibly smart, educated...kids, at the programming helm. What could possibly go wrong? The more I look at all of this, the more I see that experience is still going to be not just needed but valuable and monetized.

Consider a second career. In a couple of fields, I call it "f$ck, you, pay me" sort of stuff.
Every woman needs a blowtorch.
---Julia Child

--- On September 17, 1787, as Benjamin Franklin was leaving the deliberations of the Constitutional Convention, at Independence Hall, in Philadelphia, a woman called out to him, saying, “Well, Doctor, what have we got, a republic or a monarchy?”
“A republic,” Franklin said, “if you can keep it.”

--- LFC, on Gorsuch ruling: "Awesome. A Christianist who swore an oath to uphold the laws of the nation and bore false witness when he did it"

--- "Write hard and clear about what hurts"
Ernest Hemingway

#774 Beelzebuddy

Convenient Target of Irrational Fears

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1831 posts
  • LocationAustin

Posted 23 January 2019 - 12:43 PM

View PostPractical Girl, on 23 January 2019 - 12:18 PM, said:

Yay! But don't be so fast, just yet. So- we have a whole bunch of AI, with a whole bunch of incredibly smart, educated...kids, at the programming helm. What could possibly go wrong? The more I look at all of this, the more I see that experience is still going to be not just needed but valuable and monetized.

Consider a second career. In a couple of fields, I call it "f$ck, you, pay me" sort of stuff.
Hope you're right
Fear Sells!

Cui bono?

"The real problem of humanity is the following: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and god-like technology." - EO Wilson.

"Hell is truth seen too late" - T Hobbes

#775 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29256 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 23 January 2019 - 12:57 PM

View PostBeelzebuddy, on 23 January 2019 - 12:43 PM, said:

Hope you're right

In considering how right the 15 year call might be I'll recall other predictions like the paperless society and the virtual office. Both certainly came to pass to a degree but nowhere near the level of many of the predictions that were made so long ago.

#776 Bact PhD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1840 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 23 January 2019 - 02:05 PM

View PostLFC, on 23 January 2019 - 12:57 PM, said:

In considering how right the 15 year call might be I'll recall other predictions like the paperless society and the virtual office. Both certainly came to pass to a degree but nowhere near the level of many of the predictions that were made so long ago.
After all, ATMs have been around for more than four decades (and Direct Deposit for at least three) and “bank teller” is still an occupation. There are fewer of them, and they do more than cash paychecks, but they still exist.

#777 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29256 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 25 January 2019 - 08:51 AM

Over 50% of workers over age 50 end up experiencing a damaging job change.

ProPublica and the Urban Institute, a Washington think tank, analyzed data from the Health and Retirement Study, or HRS, the premier source of quantitative information about aging in America. Since 1992, the study has followed a nationally representative sample of about 20,000 people from the time they turn 50 through the rest of their lives.

Through 2016, our analysis found that between the time older workers enter the study and when they leave paid employment, 56 percent are laid off at least once or leave jobs under such financially damaging circumstances that it’s likely they were pushed out rather than choosing to go voluntarily.

Only one in 10 of these workers ever again earns as much as they did before their employment setbacks, our analysis showed. Even years afterward, the household incomes of over half of those who experience such work disruptions remain substantially below those of workers who don’t.

“This isn’t how most people think they’re going to finish out their work lives,” said Richard Johnson, an Urban Institute economist and veteran scholar of the older labor force who worked on the analysis. “For the majority of older Americans, working after 50 is considerably riskier and more turbulent than we previously thought.”

#778 andydp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3795 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY near Albany

Posted 25 January 2019 - 11:26 AM

View PostLFC, on 25 January 2019 - 08:51 AM, said:

Over 50% of workers over age 50 end up experiencing a damaging job change.

Been there, done that. Lost my US Government job (thanks to Atilla the Hen). Went to court and won my case. Was un and under employed for about five years. Whatever management talents I may have had were worthless to those looking for 20 something MBAs. (I have a Master's in Public Admin)

Fortunately, I got my USPS job in 1995 and never looked back. I didn't have a title and all I ran was industrial machines. (There's a sort of Zen feeling running a machine with a blinking yellow light) No headaches and it was fun "training" the supervisors. My penultimate supervisor had decided he was "going to make me retire early" (<< Direct quote) You can imagine that relationship.
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.

Rev Martin Luther King Jr.

Obamacare took my guns away and put me in a FEMA reeducation camp.

Anonymous

If you've got public schools paid for by taxpayers, you're in a socialist nation. If you have public roads paid for by taxpayers, socialist nation. If you've got public defense (police, fire, military, coast guard) paid for by tax dollars, socialist nation. If you're in a nation that has nationalized or localized delivery of services that are not paid for by users alone, you're in a socialist nation- the only question is how socialist. As I see it, we pay the military pay to protect the shipping lanes for our fuel needs which makes us very socialist. In a capitalist nation, the people supplying the oil would pay for their own defense force.

DC Coronata

#779 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13324 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 01:43 PM

View PostBact PhD, on 23 January 2019 - 02:05 PM, said:

View PostLFC, on 23 January 2019 - 12:57 PM, said:

After all, ATMs have been around for more than four decades (and Direct Deposit for at least three) and “bank teller” is still an occupation. There are fewer of them, and they do more than cash paychecks, but they still exist.

Some automated fields not fully replacing workers may be more of a generational thing. Older people often want to deal with an actual person while young people tended to like the anonymous nature of a machine, at least according to a poll I once saw.

— Carl Sagan

— Carl Sagan

— H.L. Mencken

#780 Bact PhD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1840 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 25 January 2019 - 03:21 PM

View Postandydp, on 25 January 2019 - 11:26 AM, said:

Been there, done that. Lost my US Government job (thanks to Atilla the Hen). Went to court and won my case. Was un and under employed for about five years. Whatever management talents I may have had were worthless to those looking for 20 something MBAs. (I have a Master's in Public Admin)

Fortunately, I got my USPS job in 1995 and never looked back. I didn't have a title and all I ran was industrial machines. (There's a sort of Zen feeling running a machine with a blinking yellow light) No headaches and it was fun "training" the supervisors. My penultimate supervisor had decided he was "going to make me retire early" (<< Direct quote) You can imagine that relationship.
Read the article—I didn’t find it much of a news flash, either. So much for those financial planning articles that refer to one’s fifties as “peak earning years.”

I can provide a couple of anecdotes, one from the ‘90s, the other from the present decade.

A family friend worked with a firm in the DC area for a couple of decades and, by age 62 or so, fully expected to retire from the place a few short years hence. He walked in to work one morning in 1995 and was told to clean out his desk. So much for his career.

The anecdote from the current decade has to do more with an employer. It went around The Rumor Mill at this employer that HR was doing its darndest to, ever so subtly, purge the organization of anyone with more than 20 years in the system. Of course, nobody could *prove* that’s what it was, but enough people in my age cohort were getting let go and only re-hired at a couple of classifications down/ 2/3 the prior salary that one had to wonder.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users