769 replies to this topic

#41 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25104 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 11 August 2016 - 11:55 AM

Backing the Hanauer points on the minimum wage.

Posted Image
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#42 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12291 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 10:02 PM

Posted Image

http://www.businessi...-a-tesla-2016-7
"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#43 Art_Vandelay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Location"Somewhere in Middle America"

Posted 14 August 2016 - 08:09 AM

Massachusetts Makes Asking About Salary History a Thing of the Past

Job seekers in Massachusetts will no longer have to disclose their salary history to prospective employers in order to be considered for a job, thanks to a new pay equity law signed this week. The law, which goes into effect in July 2018, makes it illegal for employers to ask job applicants what they've earned in the past and makes Massachusetts the first state to ban the practice.

This step is a victory for job seekers, who have long been put at a disadvantage by employers who insist on knowing their past salary history. Employers commonly base salary offers on the information, which has meant that people who have been earning below-market wages are more likely to continue to be underpaid – which has historically been a particular issue for women, who are statistically likely to be paid less than their male counterparts for the same work.

I think this makes good sense. When an employer knows a candidate's current compensation, that tends to be the starting point of salary negotiations. Not knowing will force the employer to evaluate the applicants experience and perceived capabilities in relationship to their current staff. Note that the law doesn't preclude a candidate from divulging current salary information. I suspect when that person feels it is to their advantage, they will gladly offer their current compensation.

#44 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12291 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 10:22 PM

Posted by Hanauer himself.

Posted Image
"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

#45 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12291 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 12:26 PM

What Happens When Millions of Jobs Are Lost Because of Automation?

Take, for example, the number one job held by men today -- nearly 3 million of them are truck drivers. What will happen to them in a decade when Daimler expects its self-driving 18-wheeler now being tested in the Nevada desert to be ready for the road? How about the top job among women, that of administrative assistant? Technology already has wiped away many of those positions in companies large and small.

And it’s not just popular low-skilled jobs that artificial intelligence threatens. A 2013 study from Oxford University predicts that future technology could displace nearly half of American jobs. History has shown such predictions to be wildly exaggerated, of course. In the long race between education and technology, education typically wins.

But past performance might not be indicative of future results in this next wave of automation, and even those with higher skilled jobs might not be safe. Even jobs in finance, law, and medicine don’t offer the steady career paths they once did.

— Carl Sagan

— H.L. Mencken

#46 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12579 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 19 August 2016 - 12:32 PM

My brother is high up the Watson food chain at IBM. Just got promoted to run a lot of this effort there. He confirms that AI will eliminate millions of jobs. Starting with all those call centers in India (he ran SAP's product support center there in an earlier phase). But soon enough coming to a workplace near you. His first pitch to the managers was "how are you going to deal with this?".

AI would be a boon for me. All I would have to do is the big picture stuff, while it could setup the models, run them, plot them out, draft the drawings, etc. etc. A lot of that is pretty brain dead work in terms of actually having to think. But it would kill my support staff. Which is no way to bring up the next generation of designers.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."-- Winston Churchill
"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices" Voltaire

#47 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10233 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 12:49 PM

Interesting about the truck, and Uber testing autonomous cars. Within the past year I recall on LGM comments being assured this technology was a human generation away at minimum. By people who (claimed) to be involved.

Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#48 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10233 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 12:50 PM

AnBr, on 18 August 2016 - 10:22 PM, said:

Posted by Hanauer himself.

Posted Image

I really like this guy, but he doesn't mention that many of those uprisings fail.

Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#49 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12579 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 19 August 2016 - 01:06 PM

Ah but we have Anonymous.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."-- Winston Churchill
"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices" Voltaire

#50 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10233 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 01:37 PM

Traveler, on 19 August 2016 - 01:06 PM, said:

Ah but we have Anonymous.

Who fell apart/got infiltrated by Putin's guys in their plan to stop Trump.

Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#51 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12579 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 19 August 2016 - 01:54 PM

Care to elaborate?

#52 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10233 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 02:00 PM

Traveler, on 19 August 2016 - 01:54 PM, said:

Care to elaborate?

I'd need to find the link, but they proclaimed they were going after Trump during the primary. A news story quoted members saying the effort fell apart do to infighting, disparate groups arguing strategy and other elements of disorganization. Reading it I couldn't help wondering if this was a counter-effort by someone, and Putin has the resources and interest in Trump succeeding.

Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#53 Rich T Bikkies

Trainee Basil Fawlty. Practising Victor Meldrew

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3821 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, UK

Posted 20 August 2016 - 02:28 AM

Progressive whisperer, on 19 August 2016 - 02:00 PM, said:

I'd need to find the link, but they proclaimed they were going after Trump during the primary. A news story quoted members saying the effort fell apart do to infighting, disparate groups arguing strategy and other elements of disorganization. Reading it I couldn't help wondering if this was a counter-effort by someone, and Putin has the resources and interest in Trump succeeding.

Interesting thought. But I think it was Sir Bernard Ingham (I'll look for the link) who said that if there is a choice between a cock-up theory and a conspiracy to to explain anything going pear-shaped, try the cock-up theory first. But Murrka's immunity to conspiracy is very low - by design in Republican-cum-Conservative circles - and even if you're paranoid somebody could be out to get you.

Does your news story mention any facts that particularly set you wondering? A mere hunch is sometimes justified[1].

[1]Quasimodo might have disagreed FAIK.
Reality is a hallucination caused by alcohol deprivation.

Only Satan can rebuke sin. The righteous don't know enough.

God is not dead. He was merely voted out of office.

You can do anything with anybody if you just save them the trouble of thinking.

#54 Rabiner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3723 posts
  • LocationCulver City, CA

Posted 20 August 2016 - 03:02 AM

But as long as we can blame trade deals for people losing their jobs then it's all good.
Government in particular has an obligation to dismiss any employee who claims a right to discriminate against citizens. - Garret Epps

#55 Art_Vandelay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Location"Somewhere in Middle America"

Posted 20 August 2016 - 06:48 AM

The brave new world of robots and lost jobs

Good piece by David Ignatius.

The “automation bomb” could destroy 45 percent of the work activities currently performed in the United States, representing about $2 trillion in annual wages, according to a study last year by the consulting firm McKinsey & Co. We’ve seen only the beginning of this change, they warned. Currently, only 5 percent of occupations can be entirely automated, but 60 percent of occupations could soon see machines doing 30 percent or more of the work.

The McKinsey analysts sharpened their argument in a paper released last month. Their estimates, based on U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics data covering more than 800 occupations, draw a shocking picture of the future. In manufacturing, 59 percent of activities could be automated, and that includes “90 percent of what welders, cutters, solderers and brazers do.” In food service and accommodations, 73 percent of the work could be performed by machines. In retailing, 53 percent of current jobs could be lost.

White-collar workers may imagine that they’re safe, but that’s wishful thinking. If computers can be programmed to understand speech as well as humans do, 66 percent of jobs in finance and insurance could be replaced, the most recent report says.

#56 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12579 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 20 August 2016 - 07:16 AM

Pretty much exactly what my brother said.

#57 Practical Girl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7941 posts
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 20 August 2016 - 11:26 AM

AnBr, on 12 August 2016 - 10:02 PM, said:

Lost in all of this is that Dan Price was raised an Evangelical Christian, homeschooled until 12 and went to a Christian-focused college. His parents- especially his father- really lived the faith that most only mouth. Although he doesn't talk overtly about his faith, "moral imperative" was one of his bottom line reasons for ditching his own wealth to help those in his employ do better. And that was learned at home. Exemplary behavior based on real values, and what 99% of the so-called Christians out there only mouth.

And hey- he's attracted some incredible talent, along the way. A few stories (at least) out there about people quitting high-paying jobs to become part of the "Dan Price Experiment". I'm glad to hear that he's finally shed his brother's lawsuits. Brother's company (last I heard) is a competitor. Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to see the two bury the hatchet and own their industry, together.
Every woman needs a blowtorch.
---Julia Child

--- On September 17, 1787, as Benjamin Franklin was leaving the deliberations of the Constitutional Convention, at Independence Hall, in Philadelphia, a woman called out to him, saying, “Well, Doctor, what have we got, a republic or a monarchy?”
“A republic,” Franklin said, “if you can keep it.”

--- LFC, on Gorsuch ruling: "Awesome. A Christianist who swore an oath to uphold the laws of the nation and bore false witness when he did it"

#58 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25104 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 20 August 2016 - 12:10 PM

Art_Vandelay, on 20 August 2016 - 06:48 AM, said:

The brave new world of robots and lost jobs

Good piece by David Ignatius.

White-collar workers may imagine that they’re safe, but that’s wishful thinking. If computers can be programmed to understand speech as well as humans do, 66 percent of jobs in finance and insurance could be replaced, the most recent report says.

I work in the area of financial planning software and one of the biggest fears for traditional advisers are the software driven "robo advisers" that are coming out all over the place. High net worth folks still need actual advisers to navigate through the myriad of tax saving techniques, but that represents just a slice of the financial planning market. A lot of lower level advisers could be put out of work.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#59 gmat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3285 posts

Posted 20 August 2016 - 12:55 PM

Is any country doing GMI yet? I mean unconditional GMI, decoupled from work, assets, etc? You would have to combine that with strict immigration law enforcement I think.

It makes more sense to me than minimum wage laws.

#60 Practical Girl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7941 posts
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 20 August 2016 - 12:57 PM

Portugal? If I recall, they've been doing something like it since the late 90s-early 2000s. Sorry- no time to check for links. Check for me?
Every woman needs a blowtorch.
---Julia Child

--- On September 17, 1787, as Benjamin Franklin was leaving the deliberations of the Constitutional Convention, at Independence Hall, in Philadelphia, a woman called out to him, saying, “Well, Doctor, what have we got, a republic or a monarchy?”
“A republic,” Franklin said, “if you can keep it.”

--- LFC, on Gorsuch ruling: "Awesome. A Christianist who swore an oath to uphold the laws of the nation and bore false witness when he did it"

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users