6580 replies to this topic

#5941 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15287 posts

Posted 13 March 2020 - 02:32 PM

"The Trump Presidency Is Over"

It has taken a good deal longer than it should have, but Americans have now seen the con man behind the curtain.

When, in January 2016, I wrote that despite being a lifelong Republican who worked in the previous three GOP administrations, I would never vote for Donald Trump, even though his administration would align much more with my policy views than a Hillary Clinton presidency would, a lot of my Republican friends were befuddled. How could I not vote for a person who checked far more of my policy boxes than his opponent?

What I explained then, and what I have said many times since, is that Trump is fundamentally unfit—intellectually, morally, temperamentally, and psychologically—for office. For me, that is the paramount consideration in electing a president, in part because at some point it’s reasonable to expect that a president will face an unexpected crisis—and at that point, the president’s judgment and discernment, his character and leadership ability, will really matter.

“Mr. Trump has no desire to acquaint himself with most issues, let alone master them” is how I put it four years ago. “No major presidential candidate has ever been quite as disdainful of knowledge, as indifferent to facts, as untroubled by his benightedness.” I added this:

Mr. Trump’s virulent combination of ignorance, emotional instability, demagogy, solipsism and vindictiveness would do more than result in a failed presidency; it could very well lead to national catastrophe. The prospect of Donald Trump as commander in chief should send a chill down the spine of every American.

It took until the second half of Trump’s first term, but the crisis has arrived in the form of the coronavirus pandemic, and it’s hard to name a president who has been as overwhelmed by a crisis as the coronavirus has overwhelmed Donald Trump.

“Trump’s a stupid man’s idea of a smart person, a poor man’s idea of a rich person & a weak man’s idea of a strong man.”

— Fran Lebowitz

“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It's simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

— Carl Sagan

Pray for Trump: Psalm 109:8

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#5942 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11844 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 13 March 2020 - 05:15 PM

View Postcmk, on 12 March 2020 - 04:18 PM, said:

I guess it will take people literally having family members dying around them to realize how badly this has been bungled.

Some of them, maybe. The rest watch Fox.
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#5943 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15287 posts

Posted 15 March 2020 - 09:02 PM

The Strange Case of Donald J. Trump: A Psychological Reckoning
“Trump’s a stupid man’s idea of a smart person, a poor man’s idea of a rich person & a weak man’s idea of a strong man.”

— Fran Lebowitz

“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It's simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

— Carl Sagan

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

#5944 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36314 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 16 March 2020 - 09:00 AM

View PostAnBr, on 15 March 2020 - 09:02 PM, said:

Man, that's just pathetic but it sure does ring true.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#5945 Probabilistic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2901 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 01:28 PM

View PostLFC, on 16 March 2020 - 09:00 AM, said:

Man, that's just pathetic

I alone can fix it. However, I don't take responsibility.

#5946 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36314 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 16 March 2020 - 05:27 PM

View PostProbabilistic, on 16 March 2020 - 01:28 PM, said:

I alone can fix it. However, I don't take responsibility.

This piece points out that not only can't he fix it but he STILL has no interest in learning how to fix it or anything else. He's the same old grifter he was before he entered the Oval Office.

The defining characteristic of Donald Trump’s presidency is his refusal to become any better at his job, according to one conservative columnist, and that incompetence could badly hurt the nation he leads.

Trump’s administration started off with chaos at the airports after his Muslim ban went into effect, and they were thrown into chaos again over the weekend after his son-in-law Jared Kushner and senior adviser Stephen Miller hastily crafted a ban on travel from Europe, according to the Washington Post‘s Max Boot.

“Every administration faces a steep learning curve when it takes office,” Boot writes. “The defining characteristic of the Trump administration is its refusal to become any less incompetent than it was on day one, thanks to its contempt for expertise and its preference for ideology over reality.”

Boot singled out Kushner for scorn, saying the president’s son-in-law brings arrogance and ignorance to the wide-ranging portfolio o

“The Trump people were utterly unprepared to run the federal government and began making momentous decisions with no understanding of what they were doing or what kind of risks they were running,” Boot writes.

“Critical failures — principally the failure to distribute tests more widely and to alert Americans to the severity of the threat — are almost certain to cost large numbers of lives,” he adds. “Trump is incapable of either taking charge or accepting responsibility for what his subordinates are doing in his name.”

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#5947 pnwguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2407 posts
  • LocationPortlandia

Posted 16 March 2020 - 07:20 PM

View PostLFC, on 16 March 2020 - 05:27 PM, said:

This piece points out that not only can't he fix it but he STILL has no interest in learning how to fix it or anything else. He's the same old grifter he was before he entered the Oval Office.
You act like this is a surprise?
"All glory to the HypnoTrump, or else..."

"It all makes sense when you remind yourself that the GOP is no longer a political party but turned into an organized crime family"

"I hope to live long enough that the name Trump is reviled as much as the name Hitler or Stalin"

#5948 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36314 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 17 March 2020 - 04:27 PM

Here come the MAGAts to defend Dear Leader from facts! These are first responders who love Trump. That's great, people who don't believe the pandemic is a big deal running around to different people's homes for a living.

In a 27,000-member private Facebook group for first responders who support President Donald Trump, firefighters and paramedics have posted thousands of comments in recent weeks downplaying the coronavirus pandemic that they are responsible for helping to handle.

Posts in the group, which is called IAFF Union Firefighters for Trump and has been endorsed by Trump, scoffed at the seriousness of the virus, echoing false assertions by Trump and his allies comparing it to the seasonal flu. “Every election year has a disease,” read one meme, purporting to be written on a doctor’s office whiteboard. “This is a viral-pneumonia being hyped as The Black Plague before an election.”

As of Monday, there were 4,464 cases and 78 deaths in the U.S., according to researchers at the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security.

As confirmed cases and deaths expanded and officials began shutting down mass gatherings and public places, the posts intensified their attacks on Democrats and the media. “I believe this is all by design,” wrote a Texas firefighter whose identity was corroborated by ProPublica. “Democrats have wanted to slow down and even kill the economy. It’s the only hope they have of beating Trump. Sad and disgusting the depths of shit the Democrats will descend to in order to gain power.”

Posts containing factual information or firsthand experiences with the virus were met with more accusations of plots to harm Trump’s reelection. When a Florida firefighter said action was required now to prevent a crisis like is currently underway in Italy, where 27,980 have been infected and 2,158 have died, because the virus spreads at an exponential rate, the first reply was poop emojis and “Trump2020.”

Some comments promoted a baseless conspiracy theory that the virus is a biological weapon developed by the Chinese in collaboration with Democrats.

“By the Chinese to stop the riots in Hong Kong,” one member wrote.

“[Y]ou are absolutely correct,” another replied. “I said that in the beginning. Democrats saw an opportunity to use it against Trump and get rid of older people which they have been trying to do for a while.”

Here are more utter nutters, including the NRA who see this as a plot to get their guns, going after a mayor in Illinois for being responsible and acting in concert with the best available science.

Right-wing conspiracy theorists and supporters of President Donald Trump bombarded an Illinois mayor after he declared coronavirus an emergency because they don’t believe it’s a crisis.

The New York Times reported Tuesday, Champaign, IL Mayor Deborah Frank Feinen, like many leaders, is being forced to respond to the coronavirus. After issuing an emergency declaration, she was bombarded with an attack from the National Rifle Association sending out a “national alert” saying “anti-gun extremists” were moving “to undermine our firearms freedom.” Non-stop attacks followed.

“We were talking about how to get food to kids when schools were closed, and suddenly I’m getting Facebook messages about how I’m violating the Constitution and taking away people’s rights,” said Feinen.
Defend democracy. Click to invest in courageous progressive journalism today.

So, while she was trying to care for people in her city, coordinating fire and police departments, gathering emergency supplies, helping small businesses handle closures, she’s being faced with attacks and watching for dangerous death threats.

And here's Dear Leader on his lashing out at anybody who dares to tell the truth about his f***-ups.

During a press conference this morning to address the growing coronavirus health crisis, President Trump was asked by ABC’s Jonathan Karl about his recent comments where he called on Americans to “put politics aside, stop the partisanship, and unify together” to fight the spread of the virus. Karl then pointed to Trump’s subsequent tweets where he attacked state governors and other public figures.

“Are you going to set the example for this?” Karl asked.

“I only do that when I have to respond … and I will continue to do that,” Trump replied. “If they’re not gonna play fair — because you know they have the media on their side and I don’t, I just have me — and if they’re not gonna play fair, I’m gonna do that. If they are gonna play fair, there’s gonna be nobody better than Donald Trump in terms of bipartisanship.”

“I wanted to be bipartisan and nobody’s gonna be better than me, but when they attack me, or these incredible people behind me, I’m not gonna let them get away with it,” he continued. “I can’t do that.”

#5949 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11844 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 05:28 PM

View PostLFC, on 17 March 2020 - 04:27 PM, said:

As confirmed cases and deaths expanded and officials began shutting down mass gatherings and public places, the posts intensified their attacks on Democrats and the media. “I believe this is all by design,” wrote a Texas firefighter whose identity was corroborated by ProPublica. “Democrats have wanted to slow down and even kill the economy. It’s the only hope they have of beating Trump. Sad and disgusting the depths of shit the Democrats will descend to in order to gain power.”

Superspreaders unite! These yahoos are going to get lots of peer-group support so that even when they're running fevers, wheezing, and coughing they'll keep going to work until they can't. Which, of course, turns the whole group into superspreaders unless someone in a position to do so gets involved. One hopes sooner than later.

Maybe once they're positive they can be quarantined in the hot zone where their skill will be needed,
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#5950 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36314 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 17 March 2020 - 05:58 PM

Trump has racked up over 3,000 conflicts of interest. That's gotta' be a record. Most ... corrupt ... administration ... EVER!

The government watchdog Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington announced Friday that after more than three years of monitoring President Donald Trump's conduct, the president has hit a milestone, amassing more than 3,000 conflicts of interest between his businesses and his position in office.

The findings come from a CREW report detailing improper relationships between Trump, his business empire, and those trying to influence public policy—including lobbyists, foreign governments, and members of Congress.

CREW Executive Director Noah Bookbinder called the milestone "disgraceful."

"Every one of the more than 3,000 conflicts of interest that President Trump has incurred through his businesses raises new questions about whether he is making decisions in the interest of the American people or his own bottom line," said Bookbinder in a statement. "Not only does he appear to be profiting from the presidency daily, but he is constantly facing new temptations to use his office for his own benefit."

Since Trump took office and refused to divest from his businesses, instead handing over control of the Trump Organization to his two eldest sons, hundreds of people and groups have interacted with the president and his business in ways that "showcase the president's willingness to blend his personal gain with his professional responsibilities," CREW said.

#5951 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7047 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 20 March 2020 - 11:13 AM

James Fallows at The Atlantic resumed his Time Capsules last week. He did them in the run up to the 2016 election and is doing it again this election year. In it he recorded things that stuck him as highly unusual and wanted to have a record of it. He's up to entry #6 already after restarting the capsules on March 12.

In the most recent one he discusses yesterday's episode of the daily COVID 19 briefings that the President is now front and center in.

That it was a virtual campaign rally, At two of the briefings this week, Trump had dropped his previous pooh-poohing of the virus threat, and his personal criticism of media figures and other politicians, and had instead struck a somber, “we’re in this together” tone. As I noted here, this shift in tone was greeted by some in the press as a sign of Trump’s new statesmanship.

In the past two days, Trump has been back to the more accustomed tone of tweets and his rallies. In those settings he has had two constant themes: that he is so great, and that his critics are such cheating losers, each point usually based on information that was false.

The tone, and the false data, returned yesterday. Much of what Trump said was false: Most dramatically, his claim that the FDA had just approved use of an anti-malaria drug for treatment of COVID-19, and that it would be a “game-changer.” (FDA officials immediately clarified that they had done no such thing.)

Trump’s new fondness for these “briefings,” and their increasing conversion into Trump campaign rallies with scientists rather than local-government officials as the supporting cast, should cause cable-news producers to reflect on the path they are headed down.

They won't consider any such thing. They are too addicted to click baiting and the performance which cheap and easy to broadcast. No need for fact checking---people are bored with that.

#5952 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15287 posts

Posted 25 March 2020 - 05:24 PM

Vanity Fair has a new ad campaign for subscriptions. This is a real ad.

Subscribe to third rate Fake news. Get 1 year of Vanity Fair for just $8, plus a free tote.

Posted Image

— Fran Lebowitz

— Carl Sagan

— Carl Sagan

— H.L. Mencken

#5953 andydp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4645 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY near Albany

Posted 25 March 2020 - 07:39 PM

View PostAnBr, on 25 March 2020 - 05:24 PM, said:

Vanity Fair has a new ad campaign for subscriptions. This is a real ad.

Seen it on Facebook for a few days now. Great move !
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
Rev Martin Luther King Jr.

Obamacare took my guns away and put me in a FEMA reeducation camp
Anonymous

If you've got public schools paid for by taxpayers, you're in a socialist nation. If you have public roads paid for by taxpayers, socialist nation. If you've got public defense (police, fire, military, coast guard) paid for by tax dollars, socialist nation. If you're in a nation that has nationalized or localized delivery of services that are not paid for by users alone, you're in a socialist nation- the only question is how socialist. As I see it, we pay the military pay to protect the shipping lanes for our fuel needs which makes us very socialist. In a capitalist nation, the people supplying the oil would pay for their own defense force.
DC Coronata

“I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left.”

Margaret Thatcher

(Select anyone who gets blind loyalty from followers/voters) "...is the kindest, bravest, warmest, most wonderful human being I've ever known in my life."(Manchurian candidate)

"I can't go out because of the virus" sounds whiny and boring. I'm going with: "I've sworn an oath of solitude until the pestilence is purged from the lands." sounds more valiant and heroic. As a bonus, people might think you're carrying a sword.

FB posting

Its theorized if you put enough monkeys together with typewriters, eventually they'll write Shakespeare. But first, they write Trump speeches.

FB Posting

Calumny is only the noise of madmen. — Diogenes

#5954 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15287 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 10:10 AM

Trump is utterly unsuited to deal with this crisis, either intellectually or temperamentally

For his entire adult life, and for his entire presidency, Donald Trump has created his own alternate reality, complete with his own alternate set of facts. He has shown himself to be erratic, impulsive, narcissistic, vindictive, cruel, mendacious, and devoid of empathy. None of that is new.

But we’re now entering the most dangerous phase of the Trump presidency. The pain and hardship that the United States is only beginning to experience stem from a crisis that the president is utterly unsuited to deal with, either intellectually or temperamentally. When things were going relatively well, the nation could more easily absorb the costs of Trump’s psychological and moral distortions and disfigurements. But those days are behind us. The coronavirus pandemic has created the conditions that can catalyze a destructive set of responses from an individual with Trump’s characterological defects and disordered personality.

We are now in the early phase of a medical and economic tempest unmatched in most of our lifetimes. There’s too much information we don’t have. We don’t know the full severity of the pandemic, or whether a state like New York is a harbinger or an outlier. But we have enough information to know this virus is rapidly transmissible and lethal.

— Fran Lebowitz

— Carl Sagan

— Carl Sagan

— H.L. Mencken

#5955 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7047 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 11:33 AM

View PostAnBr, on 26 March 2020 - 10:10 AM, said:

Unfortunately a lot of Americans haven't noticed anything mentioned in the article and will continue to not notice it. Not until sports got shut down and off tv did a lot of people notice there might be a problem with COVID 19. They started to tune in to the "briefings" about the disease during the 6 days or so when the President appeared to accept the severity of the situation. Now, though, he's in a rush to get "back to normal" and eventually will be claiming victory over things like the number of tests done in comparison to South Korea. Because of all that people don't know and won't notice the reality of what just happened and is happening.

#5956 JackD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2290 posts
  • LocationChicago area

Posted 26 March 2020 - 11:42 AM

But for a reality check, Gallup reports 60% approve Trump's handling of Covid-19. The ignorance and stupidity may well be terminal.

#5957 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11844 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 12:06 PM

Why wouldn't they? All they see or hear is his masterful exclusion of Chinese and rolling out test kits. Mentioning the Charlie Foxtrot that has been the actual history is never mentioned -- that would, after all, be partisan.
— Nate Silver

#5958 MSheridan

Human, for lack of options

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2849 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 26 March 2020 - 12:47 PM

I read enough on the other side of the aisle (The Bulwark, TAC, National Review, FOX News, and RedState being the most frequent sources, in steeply descending order of sanity/credibility) to know how difficult it would be for anyone already enmeshed in the toils of propaganda to break free, to even guess how much they are being lied to. For that matter, I am the oldest of six children in my very liberal parents' family and do not believe any of the other five follow politics in any depth either. It is true enough that "the truth is out there" if you go looking, but most people not only lack the incentive to do so, they lack the wherewithal to discern it if they find it. Alarmism sounds like crazy scare-talk, especially if what people are warning against doesn't end up happening, even if what prevents the dire eventuality in question is a ton of hard work by people who took the warnings seriously.

The web of interdependence we live in is so big as to be invisible to most people. So most citizens in poor red states literally have no idea how much the richest blue states do for them. Why would they? They've never had to worry about it. Likewise, most people living in the large blue cities do not worry about why their food is so cheap or their foreign-made garments so inexpensive. The goods in question might as well naturally arise from subterranean wells.

Ignorance, sure, but it's not stupidity, at least not as we generally define the term. Expecting all people to question and dissect every purported fact and opinion they are presented with is demanding more of the human animal than its specifications will deliver.

#5959 JackD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2290 posts
  • LocationChicago area

Posted 26 March 2020 - 01:57 PM

Maybe it's not stupidity but ignorance alone can be terminal. To maintain that kind of ignorance almost requires deliberately sealing oneself off from information.

#5960 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7047 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 02:03 PM

View PostJackD, on 26 March 2020 - 01:57 PM, said:

Maybe it's not stupidity but ignorance alone can be terminal. To maintain that kind of ignorance almost requires deliberately sealing oneself off from information.

I don't know if ignorance alone accounts for it. Remember Dunbar's Number ?

According to British anthropologist Robin Dunbar, the “magic number” is 150. Dunbar became convinced that there was a ratio between brain sizes and group sizes through his studies of non-human primates. This ratio was mapped out using neuroimaging and observation of time spent on grooming, an important social behaviour of primates. Dunbar concluded that the size, relative to the body, of the neocortex – the part of the brain associated with cognition and language – is linked to the size of a cohesive social group. This ratio limits how much complexity a social system can handle.

But 150 alone doesn’t tell the whole story. Other numbers are nested within the social brain hypothesis too.

According to the theory, the tightest circle has just five people – loved ones. That’s followed by successive layers of 15 (good friends), 50 (friends), 150 (meaningful contacts), 500 (acquaintances) and 1500 (people you can recognise). People migrate in and out of these layers, but the idea is that space has to be carved out for any new entrants.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users