5700 replies to this topic

#5441 JackD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1785 posts
  • LocationChicago area

Posted 19 July 2019 - 06:36 PM

On the subject of the debt ceiling, wouldn't it be ironic if Trump's people discovered the 14th Amendment?

#5442 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29917 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 20 July 2019 - 12:48 PM

Sullivan wrote a piece called Trump Is Betting That Indecency Can Win in America. He worries that it can.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#5443 Practical Girl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8148 posts
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 21 July 2019 - 10:10 AM

It already has. We call it 2016.
Every woman needs a blowtorch.
---Julia Child

--- On September 17, 1787, as Benjamin Franklin was leaving the deliberations of the Constitutional Convention, at Independence Hall, in Philadelphia, a woman called out to him, saying, “Well, Doctor, what have we got, a republic or a monarchy?”
“A republic,” Franklin said, “if you can keep it.”

--- LFC, on Gorsuch ruling: "Awesome. A Christianist who swore an oath to uphold the laws of the nation and bore false witness when he did it"

--- "Write hard and clear about what hurts"
Ernest Hemingway

#5444 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5935 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 22 July 2019 - 04:29 PM

Looks like "no puppet, no puppet! You're the puppet!" + "stable genius", the racist version. Trump accuses four minority Congresswomen of "Being Racist" and "not very smart."

#5445 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29917 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 23 July 2019 - 09:08 AM

View Postgolden_valley, on 22 July 2019 - 04:29 PM, said:

Looks like "no puppet, no puppet! You're the puppet!" + "stable genius", the racist version. Trump accuses four minority Congresswomen of "Being Racist" and "not very smart."

And his base is dumb enough to think he actually made some point.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#5446 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29917 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 23 July 2019 - 04:04 PM

There's constitutional scholarship and then there's Trump, the man who would be dictator. He truly believes he's above the law, ANY law.

President Donald Trump claimed on Tuesday that Article 2 in the Constitution gives him carte blanche to do anything he wants.

Trump was giving a speech at a Turning Point USA conference, where he predictably veered off into a tirade about special counsel Robert Mueller’s Russia investigation and how, as president, Trump could’ve stopped it.

“I have an Article 2 where I have the right to do whatever I want as president,” Trump said. “But I don’t even talk about that because they did a report and there was no obstruction.”

Nothing about Article 2 says the President can legally do whatever they want, let alone fire an independent counsel at will, but it’s not the first time Trump’s made such dubious claims.

During an interview with ABC News’ George Stephanopoulos last month, Trump cited Article 2 as the reason why presidents can’t be charged with obstruction of justice.

Additionally, Mueller’s report didn’t say Trump never attempted to obstruct justice. In fact, he found multiple instances of the President trying to mess with his investigation, but he chose to follow Justice Department guidelines on not indicting a sitting president.

#5447 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9966 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 23 July 2019 - 07:29 PM

View PostLFC, on 23 July 2019 - 04:04 PM, said:

There's constitutional scholarship and then there's Trump, the man who would be dictator. He truly believes he's above the law, ANY law.

When has he ever been wrong about that?
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#5448 JackD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1785 posts
  • LocationChicago area

Posted 23 July 2019 - 09:24 PM

Always?

#5449 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9966 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 08:04 AM

Such as when?
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#5450 JackD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1785 posts
  • LocationChicago area

Posted 24 July 2019 - 02:19 PM

Such as always. He is always wrong about that.

ETA: Maybe I'm not understanding your question. Do you just mean that his violations of the law are not having punishing consequences for him (yet)?

#5451 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9966 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 03:32 PM

View PostJackD, on 24 July 2019 - 02:19 PM, said:

Maybe I'm not understanding your question. Do you just mean that his violations of the law are not having punishing consequences for him (yet)?

Exactly. In the original context, the question was effectively "why shouldn't he believe himself above the law?" And I replied, in effect, that to the extent that the hypothesis has been tested, it has not be disconfirmed.

Oh, certainly he has lost some lawsuits but they were effectively gambles that didn't pay off. Most of the time, he's bullied and bluffed his way to getting away with whatever he's tried. Most recently, his "Muslim ban" has been upheld with the Court in effect telling him to be a wee bit less flagrant in his contempt for the law.

Sounds like it's working.
— Nate Silver

#5452 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5935 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 01:06 PM

I didn't watch the Mueller testimony yesterday, but I gather that the Republicans asking questions didn't seem concerned about the information revealed by the investigation. They only raised the conspiracy theories and impugned the objectivity and professionalism of the staff did the investigation. Did anyone watch? Is this correct?

#5453 JackD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1785 posts
  • LocationChicago area

Posted 25 July 2019 - 01:52 PM

I watched some of it. Your impression is correct. The Republicans basically used Mueller's presence as a justification to make speeches most of which did not produce any agreement from Mueller and most of which did not address any of the factual matters in the report. The contrast with the Democrats' questions was stark. The Democrats articulated the factual findings and generally got an agreement from Mueller as to the truth of those statements. I thought the overall effect was good for the Democrats even if it didn't produce "optics" satisfactory to Chuck Todd. He's not who the Democrats need to persuade.

#5454 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5935 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 01:57 PM

Thanks for that. Was Todd expecting a summation before a jury style presentation just like on Law and Order? This wasn't going to be gripping TV, ever.

#5455 Probabilistic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2218 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 02:24 PM

View Postgolden_valley, on 25 July 2019 - 01:06 PM, said:

I didn't watch the Mueller testimony yesterday, but I gather that the Republicans asking questions didn't seem concerned about the information revealed by the investigation. They only raised the conspiracy theories and impugned the objectivity and professionalism of the staff did the investigation. Did anyone watch? Is this correct?

I was at a conference in 2017 where Mueller spoke, just a few months before taking on the Special Counsel role. He was sharp, alert, strode up to the middle of a large stage, had a no-nonsense demeanor, spoke clearly, with authority and in normal cadence. All in all, in total control of his faculties as his reputation suggested.

The next I heard him speak was in his 9 minute press briefing in May after completing the Special Counsel work. I was taken aback. He looked frail, eyes sunken, shoulders drooping, labored walk up to the podium. I chalked it as tiredness after the 2 years of breakneck pace of the investigation.

Yesterday was a shocker. Two and half years make so much difference in a person at that age. Not only had age caught up, he looked well beyond his years, frail and tired. Cloudy eyed, spoke haltingly, voice falling off, sometimes even barely audible, appeared to lose his train of thought every few words, even confused, and a general air of a person who after a few feeble attempts gave up summoning the will to defend his work.

Sad to see how time denudes even the mighty. He may not be well. Explains his earlier reluctance.

#5456 pnwguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1841 posts
  • LocationPortlandia

Posted 25 July 2019 - 02:59 PM

At his next rally, Dumpster can lead the crowd in a chant of "String Her Up"
"All glory to the HypnoTrump, or else..."

"It all makes sense when you remind yourself that the GOP is no longer a political party but turned into an organized crime family"

"I hope to live long enough that the name Trump is reviled as much as the name Hitler or Stalin"

#5457 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13453 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 03:37 PM

A Republican has done the most damage to Trump at the Mueller hearing
“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It's simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

— Carl Sagan

Pray for Trump: Psalm 109:8

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#5458 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5935 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 11:33 AM

View PostAnBr, on 25 July 2019 - 03:37 PM, said:

I think most of America has tuned this out. All politicians are corrupt so if the current president is more out there in his behavior he's just being what all politicians are. If anything he's more honest about his violations...a real breath of fresh air.

#5459 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29917 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 31 July 2019 - 04:10 PM

The anti-Trump protests are still going, not that the media is covering them very well. He's divided the nation and is betting the people who love him will get out to vote in bigger numbers than those who despise him. Here's hoping he's very, very wrong and that impact is felt in the downstream elections.

In the beginning of President Donald Trump’s term, the protests against him were heavily covered in the media, with big nationwide events like the Women’s March and the Tax March getting top billing in the news cycle.

But big protests of this sort didn’t go away. They are still happening in plain sight, and the media has just not paid them as much attention — as a new Washington Post analysis of one of the most recent events reveals.

“Two weeks ago, ‘Lights for Liberty’ protests were held throughout the country,” reported the Post. “Their purpose, according to the protest organizers’ main website, was ‘to protest the inhumane conditions faced by migrants’ detained by the United States at the southern border. These protests received limited national media attention, certainly less than the Women’s March. But a careful look at the data shows these protests may be more significant than one might assume.”

As the Post noted, there were 696 Lights for Liberty vigils around the country on July 12 in all 50 states and Washington, D.C., with attendance estimated between 105,000 and 121,000 and often backed by local religious leaders. While this is significantly less than the Women’s March was, the Post notes, “garnering over 100,000 participants on relatively short notice in over 600 cities and towns is still a notable achievement.”

Even more interesting than how many people attended these vigils was where they were. While 38 to 41 percent of the Women’s March protesters were in the 10 most populous cities, just 21 percent of the Lights for Liberty protesters were — and many of the demonstrations occurred in areas that Trump won. This is in part because many of the vigils were held near migrant detention centers and ports of entry, allowing protesters to draw attention to where the suffering is occurring and pressure the politicians representing those places — but it is notable how many turned out, given protesting in such places could draw counterprotesters or retaliation.

Indeed, some politicians even spoke at these events, including Steve Woodsmall, who is challenging Rep. Mark Meadows (R-NC) and gave a fiery condemnation of Trump’s policies at the vigil in Asheville:

#5460 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29917 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 31 July 2019 - 04:42 PM

"Little Marco" Rubio posted a bible quote that described Trump to a tee. Twitter had a blast with that.

Marco Rubio
@marcorubio

There are 6 things the LORD hates,7 are an abomination;
-arrogant eyes
-a lying tongue
-hands that shed innocent blood
-a heart that plots wicked schemes
-feet that are quick to run to evil
-the false witness who utters lies
-the one who sows discord among kindred.

This response was pretty good.

Jeff Tiedrich
@itsJeffTiedrich

where does the LORD stand on senators who won't stop gun violence because the NRA gives them suitcases full of cash? asking for a friend

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users